OT Deep Space Waste 9

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:44 pm I don't even have a company phone and only 2 or 3 people at work know my cell number. I could get one tomorrow, but I've resisted getting a company phone for years. I just want to be left the fuck alone the minute I walk out the front door of my office.
And that's perfectly fine. It comes down to what you want and what your responsibilities entail
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Put another way: Why does the buck stop with YOU when you don't own the company?

If you're on holiday, call someone above you. It doesn't make sense for one guy in middle management to be the ultimate life and money saver of the universe and the whole company would cease to exist without him... if you were really that important, you'd be the owner/CEO.
Because I am the ultimate expert in my subject that is entrusted with that responsibility.
You don't have a boss?
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:44 pm I don't even have a company phone and only 2 or 3 people at work know my cell number. I could get one tomorrow, but I've resisted getting a company phone for years. I just want to be left the fuck alone the minute I walk out the front door of my office.
Hah, lots of people at work want me to get a company phone... I still don't have one, and am the only one in my department to not have one oddly enough.

:aintcare: when I'm on the road more I'll get one.
:fuckyeah: same! Good job resisting.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:57 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 pm
Because I am the ultimate expert in my subject that is entrusted with that responsibility.
You don't have a boss?
His boss probably oversees the entire list of :[user not found]: from every part of the organization. Think of it like this:

A police department has a captain for the traffic division, the detective division, the specialized units, etc. and they all answer to a major or the chief.

:[user not found]: is simply one of the captains.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 pm :iono: if I agree with :mahtroy: on this one. I think if you have a cool job and you make the CHOICE to advance knowing the requirements, costs, benefits, etc of the decision then there is no cause for concern.

If :[user not found]: can handle it, have a happy family/household and maintain good health for everyone around him then it's a win-win.

I don't see :[user not found]: complaining of much about anything and he seems busier than most of us.

Knowing that I'm going the same route (if I don't :narc: ) or even as a :narc: (being on call 24/7) it's pretty cool that an organization or a group of people within that organization appreciate and recognize your role.

Plus it's pretty fuckin' cool too. To have a batphone and whatnot. :iono:
"To each his own..." doesn't actually work out that way. :[user not found]: and others accepting unreasonable expectations leads to more employers having unreasonable expectations which eventually leads to everyone having to work like slaves at the beck and call of their employer because that's the norm - Don't answer your phone at 4AM? You're fired!

Your actions affect other people.

Every single person who allows himself to be taken advantage of like this makes the world worse for the rest of us.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:59 pm
troyguitar wrote:
You don't have a boss?
My boss is a C level executive with absolutely no experience in my field. When I said earlier that I was the guy, I mean that. In my discipline, the buck stops with me.
You were hired and are evaluated somehow... Surely someone must be able to understand what you do in order for that to happen, no?

You don't put a blind man in charge of a painter.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:06 pm
troyguitar wrote:
"To each his own..." doesn't actually work out that way. :[user not found]: and others accepting unreasonable expectations leads to more employers having unreasonable expectations which eventually leads to everyone having to work like slaves at the beck and call of their employer because that's the norm - Don't answer your phone at 4AM? You're fired!

Your actions affect other people.

Every single person who allows himself to be taken advantage of like this makes the world worse for the rest of us.
It's not being taken advantage of. I'm compensated for this. Extremely well. It's a choice that I proactively make. My specific job requires it. Not every job does. Infact, most dont.
If you make anything less than 7 figures, then you absolutely are not well compensated. You are literally a slave, you MUST be ready to act at all times PERIOD. That's slavery.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 pm
troyguitar wrote:
You were hired and are evaluated somehow... Surely someone must be able to understand what you do in order for that to happen, no?

You don't put a blind man in charge of a painter.
No. No one fully understands my role. I set my own goals for the year, explain them to my boss. He agrees and we come up (jointly) with measurable metrics for them.
:yeahok:

Why hire you over me at that point? Why hire anyone at all if no one knows :wtf: is happening?
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:03 pm
razr390 wrote:
His boss probably oversees the entire list of :[user not found]: from every part of the organization. Think of it like this:

A police department has a captain for the traffic division, the detective division, the specialized units, etc. and they all answer to a major or the chief.

:[user not found]: is simply one of the captains.
Incorrect I'm the chief reporting to an elected civilian on the city council.
My point was that you're reporting to someone who focuses on what you do only as part of their job description. So they're concerned with what you do but also with the rest of the company's operations
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:12 pm
troyguitar wrote:
:yeahok:

Why hire you over me at that point? Why hire anyone at all if no one knows :wtf: is happening?
Years of experience in the role elsewhere. Industry validated credentials. Recommendations from other top people in my role at other companies. Etc.

At the top role of any specific discipline in EVERY company the chances are the person they are reporting to had no clue about that individual's functional day to day responsibility. This is business. Period.

MOST CEOs have zero experience in the business they are running.
most CEOs can hold the mesh of "fuck" that is the company without causing it to implode.

Better example:

Trump has literally no idea wtf is going on. Nor does he have any real POWER. He takes advise from vetted, experienced top advisors that make up his cabinet.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 pm
razr390 wrote:
My point was that you're reporting to someone who focuses on what you do only as part of their job description. So they're concerned with what you do but also with the rest of the company's operations
No. Who I report to doesn't have any of my function as part of their job description. Only I do (and my team).
Got it. Makes sense. But you're still reporting to somebody.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:13 pm
troyguitar wrote:
If you make anything less than 7 figures, then you absolutely are not well compensated. You are literally a slave, you MUST be ready to act at all times PERIOD. That's slavery.
You're incredibly naive.
True, most people would probably sell themselves into slavery for $100k/year.

You're right, as usual. You're rich, therefore you're the best. You win.
razr390

:member: back in the day when everyone in the village had a role? I :member:

People literally lived to work then.

The concept of free time and time off is a fairly new one. Back then, small villages usually only had 1-2 people who were truly experts in their field, a la :[user not found]: and so those people were on call 24/7. Doesn't mean they were working 24/7, but I digress.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:16 pm
You're incredibly naive.

Shocker! I never would have thought this dialog would end up at this comment.....

Such a tired record.
troyguitar

By the way: Are you ever going to share with the class what this mysterious life-saving billion-dollar-generating "role" actually is - or like usual are the details left as an exercise for the reader?
razr390

You're incredibly naive.

:wat: :wtf:

No one even mentioned anything about money or wealth. You're the one that brought up getting "fairly compensated" for what he does. And he said he does. Compensation and whatever it's worth to the individual is relative and only exclusive to that individual. Guy spinning a little caesars pizza sign on a street corner is probably amazed that someone is paying him $8-10/hr to hold up a sign.

It's all relative to where you are and where your goals lie
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:15 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 pm
No. Who I report to doesn't have any of my function as part of their job description. Only I do (and my team).
Got it. Makes sense. But you're still reporting to somebody.
Of course, all the way up the chain.

My boss and his boss have no idea how to do what my team does, that's why they delegate this to me. To answer Troy's other question about reviews..... If I get my shit done and nothing explodes, catches fire or causes lawsuits that impact the company then I am doing a good job and get ranked and reviewed accordingly.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:19 pm

No one even mentioned anything about money or wealth. You're the one that brought up getting "fairly compensated" for what he does. And he said he does. Compensation and whatever it's worth to the individual is relative and only exclusive to that individual. Guy spinning a little caesars pizza sign on a street corner is probably amazed that someone is paying him $8-10/hr to hold up a sign.

Again - You give way too little power to the individual. People aren't powerless. Your actions affect others.

If you are willing to work for $1/hr for 100 hours a week, then why would your employer pay anyone else more than you for that job? Lowering your standards affects everyone, not just you.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:18 pm
razr390 wrote::member: back in the day when everyone in the village had a role? I :member:

People literally lived to work then.

The concept of free time and time off is a fairly new one. Back then, small villages usually only had 1-2 people who were truly experts in their field, a la :[user not found]: and so those people were on call 24/7. Doesn't mean they were working 24/7, but I digress.
My total off hours work for the year is currently sitting around 5 and the year is about half over.
That's my point. Just because someone is on call doesn't mean they are working 24/7. But you are an expert in your field and as such you need to guarantee to be available should shit necessitate it. It's more of a precaution. Better to have and not news than to need and not have.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:21 pm
troyguitar wrote:By the way: Are you ever going to share with the class what this mysterious life-saving billion-dollar-generating "role" actually is - or like usual are the details left as an exercise for the reader?
Sorry I thought everyone knew this since it's been discussed ad nausem on the dead forum and a bit here - Senior Global Director Corporate Security.

FWIW my impact isn't billions in direct impact.
I meant in more detail than a title. As in: How can you save a life over the phone when you have no medical training?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:17 pm By the way: Are you ever going to share with the class what this mysterious life-saving billion-dollar-generating "role" actually is - or like usual are the details left as an exercise for the reader?
First rule of information security.... don't talk about information security.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:23 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Of course, all the way up the chain.

My boss and his boss have no idea how to do what my team does, that's why they delegate this to me. To answer Troy's other question about reviews..... If I get my shit done and nothing explodes, catches fire or causes lawsuits that impact the company then I am doing a good job and get ranked and reviewed accordingly.
Very similar to me. As long as no one hears about my work then I'm doing great.
Also: How the fuck did you get that role 10 years ago?
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:20 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Again - You give way too little power to the individual. People aren't powerless. Your actions affect others.

If you are willing to work for $1/hr for 100 hours a week, then why would your employer pay anyone else more than you for that job? Lowering your standards affects everyone, not just you.
But [user not found] isn't trying to be the lowest bidder in this situation. He specifically states that he left another job because it asked too much and did not compensate him enough to justify it. If he is happy with the compensation he receives doe the work that he does then who are you to judge
razr390

I went into target and told the hiring manager what I wanted my hourly to be and they gave me that instead of their normal staring hourly wage.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:28 pm
troyguitar wrote:
I meant in more detail than a title. As in: How can you save a life over the phone when you have no medical training?
This would be an extremely long post... If people are interested I can start a thread on my job but it would be heavily redacted.
Typical rich scumbag overlord never telling us less fortunates anything. :koolaid: