Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:22 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:47 am

Obama and nafta yep.
Sorry but Carrier is the culprit. This has zero to do with NAFTA. Im sure there will be no Tweetdown either. The little man is not on the agenda for this current administration at all. Corp -Murica has nothing to fear at all. The show is over. Jobs are still going out of the country and incomes are not at all keeping up. More at 11 or 12 or 6am.

The top 40% have netted the majority of income and asset gains. Have you seen Congress even come close to addressing that?? NO its all trickle down or just plain trickelry to be mild about it. Opioid crisis continues - No action. Income disparity at an all time high - no action. Rates and oil rising and we are approaching full employment again(in jobs where most are making less than before), and banks are slacking on lending criteria. Sound familiar? 2006 anyone??
Lending criteria for homes is really strict here... way stricter than before. Also most are plopping down 40-50% down on 1-3M homes. Yes I am in dreamland but it is very different from when Guadalupe was buying in with 2% down and adjustable APR. Foreign money driving the crazyness here.

How do you address job going else where other than lowering the LOW incomes further ?! Protectionism works in every other country why not here?! What we should do is cut off Nato+UN support and slash our defense budget by 300B.... But our military industrial complex will crumble with millions of jobs lost ... we're in a card house breh... shit sux. All thanks to WARs... such is life.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Davestr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Sorry but Carrier is the culprit. This has zero to do with NAFTA. Im sure there will be no Tweetdown either. The little man is not on the agenda for this current administration at all. Corp -Murica has nothing to fear at all. The show is over. Jobs are still going out of the country and incomes are not at all keeping up. More at 11 or 12 or 6am.

The top 40% have netted the majority of income and asset gains. Have you seen Congress even come close to addressing that?? NO its all trickle down or just plain trickelry to be mild about it. Opioid crisis continues - No action. Income disparity at an all time high - no action. Rates and oil rising and we are approaching full employment again(in jobs where most are making less than before), and banks are slacking on lending criteria. Sound familiar? 2006 anyone??
Lending criteria for homes is really strict here... way stricter than before. Also most are plopping down 40-50% down on 1-3M homes. Yes I am in dreamland but it is very different from when Guadalupe was buying in with 2% down and adjustable APR. Foreign money driving the crazyness here.

How do you address job going else where other than lowering the LOW incomes further ?! Protectionism works in every other country why not here?! What we should do is cut off Nato+UN support and slash our defense budget by 300B.... But our military industrial complex will crumble with millions of jobs lost ... we're in a card house breh... shit sux. All thanks to WARs... such is life.
I'm really surprised that the current administration hasn't done anything toward protectionism. Seems like the answer these days when you have a country of billions playing by their own rules, stacking the deck against everyone else.

I went full :max: at the Detroit auto show at the GAC booth. This is the Chinese car company devoted to selling cars in the US. Not only was the logo a blatant rip-off of the GMC logo (the stand it was next to), but the cars were honestly :notbad: With minimal import tariffs into the US and .gov subsidized manufacturing, these vehicles could dump into our market with an MSRP of less than we can even build them for in the US. It could be bad. We really need increase protectionist measures and fast. I'm surprised :thankstrump: hasn't gone full :triggered: over GAC yet.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

dubshow wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:59 am I started working full time around 23/24. Making all of around $40k/yr but mixed withschool.

2010 20k
2011 32k
2012 36k
2013 42k
2014 62k
2015 72k
2016 70k
2017 72k

so ive potentially had 406k run through my hands. Subtract an avg ballpark of 25% for the taxman. ~304k. I have saved about 18.5% of all that income in total over 8 years (including employer 401k match and interests from ~4 years)

Im full on :wtf: how a typical 30yo can have 300k saved if Im above the average benchmark of income level.

:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :millennial: :triggered:
Yeah my two friends who are really into investing so they can retire early are both 31 and are stoked about having just hit 100k saved up. I don’t see how 300k is possible.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:37 pm
dubshow wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:59 am I started working full time around 23/24. Making all of around $40k/yr but mixed withschool.

2010 20k
2011 32k
2012 36k
2013 42k
2014 62k
2015 72k
2016 70k
2017 72k

so ive potentially had 406k run through my hands. Subtract an avg ballpark of 25% for the taxman. ~304k. I have saved about 18.5% of all that income in total over 8 years (including employer 401k match and interests from ~4 years)

Im full on :wtf: how a typical 30yo can have 300k saved if Im above the average benchmark of income level.

:triggered: :millennial: :triggered:
Yeah my two friends who are really into investing so they can retire early are both 31 and are stoked about having just hit 100k saved up. I don’t see how 300k is possible.
Yea I didn't hit that until my 40's.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm going to have to make some moves on retirement savings starting this year. I think I better get into some value buys in the next few days/weeks since there is a fresh wave of pessimism in the air today. :fuckyeah:

Still zero interest in crypity-craptastic-coins unless they Porsche-coins as referenced in other threads last week.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 am I'm going to have to make some moves on retirement savings starting this year. I think I better get into some value buys in the next few days/weeks since there is a fresh wave of pessimism in the air today. :fuckyeah:

Still zero interest in crypity-craptastic-coins unless they Porsche-coins as referenced in other threads last week.
Porsche-coin is a multi-functional investment. Not only financial, but also in your happiness. We should all invest in Porsche-coin.

And on the retirement front...I've accepted that I'll never have enough saved. Even if I saved my entire paycheck, there's always someone out there advocating for more. Factoring in company match, I put 14% into my 401k. If that's not good enough, then I'll just spend whatever I have at 70 on some stupid car and send myself off a bridge.

#retirement
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

i need to move my shit outta stocks. I should do that today
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Ah, retirement planning.

Wife and I are putting 14% of gross into our 401ks. Both 31 and we're just under $120k combined. At an 8% return annually and increasing our yearly contributions by 3%, either via raises or increasing the percentage we're saving, that'll get us to ~$6 million by the time we retire. Woohoo? I guess. At 3% annual inflation with a 4% distribution at retirement, that will only enough to provide $85k/year in gross income in today's dollars.

Key to retirement is to not need a lot of money. Have the haus and cars paid for, eliminate every penny of debt and living expenses will be pretty minimal.

Not helping is how terrible I expect returns from stocks to be over the next several years. Wife and I went to 100% cash in December and are just waiting for the :nuke:. Little tremors in the market already Friday and today, we'll see what happens.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

ok, just overbalanced my 401k. Went from
76% us stock
5% bonds
19% international

to (roughly)
20% bonds
30% US stocks
45% international stocks
2% US medical
2% US real estate.

I'll check back in 6 months..... but I think the us stock market is ripe for a downturn.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Dow is down 4% today so far. S&P down 3.5%. :doomed:

:thankstrump:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:56 pm "When others are greedy, be afraid. When others are afraid, be greedy."
:like:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:thisisfine:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

We have quite a way to go.

Margin debt at the highest levels every. Funds 100% invested in equities trying to keep up with the market. Indiscriminate buying via index funds weighted toward the top stocks in said index, which will lead to indiscriminate selling across entire sectors. All seems prime for :nuke: to me.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:56 pm "When others are greedy, be afraid. When others are afraid, be greedy."
:bravo:

Buffett?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:"When others are greedy, be afraid. When others are afraid, be greedy."
That only works if you have gigantic piles of money laying around.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:09 pm
[user not found] wrote:"When others are greedy, be afraid. When others are afraid, be greedy."
That only works if you have gigantic piles of :troywax: laying around.
FIFY.

but :doit:

you dont need a huge pile. You just move your investment around, like I did today. :iono:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:09 pm That only works if you have gigantic piles of :troywax: laying around.
FIFY.

but :doit:

you dont need a huge pile. You just move your investment around, like I did today. :iono:
Unless you have a crystal ball, selling at a massive loss to buy other stuff while it's down doesn't do you any good.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:33 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm

:bravo:

Buffett?
Indeed
Thought that was his quote. :like:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

It's a good time to make some adjustments.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

Melon wrote:It's a good time to make some adjustments.
Like what? Sell stuff that's down the most?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
Buy more e-crypton?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:26 pm
I inherited accounts from my mother, the idea is to move from conservative investments, to some with a little bit more risk.
She was also hesitant to get into the big tech companies, Apple, Amazon, Tesla, etc.
A time like this is a good opportunity to trim the fat, and move into investments with larger dividends.

Even an upset like this can be made into something that's highly profitable.
Rich getting richer, indeed.

I don't pretend to master this at all, I make moves that are advised to be made.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

That's why I ask :doe: - I don't know shit about investing in anything besides :ramz:

So you're saying that you sell stuff that's down less in order to buy stuff that's down more?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:30 pm That's why I ask :doe: - I don't know shit about investing in anything besides :ramz:

So you're saying that you sell stuff that's down less in order to buy stuff that's down more?
Ideally move from a non-stock item (cash or bond) into something else. A great place for someone that doesn't do tons of research is an index fund. I personally wouldn't sell much now if you can avoid it as everything is going to rebound.

Basically employment and wages are way higher than expected which means inflation is coming which means people are taking profits today. I bet it loses another few percentage points and starts back up in the next couple weeks. A real down turn isn't at hand.
This is why I said you need a pile of money... If you are already invested, what do you do?

You're saying that this is an opportunity because you have a pile of cash?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm hiring a good money manager and telling them to aim for averages this time. The more you learn, the more you realise that you don't know what you're doing.

Saying this, I do plan on throwing a little cash at personal investing game too. Something that came down a fair bit, haven't looked yet but maybe a bank or something.