Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:27 pm I like that gen Pathfinder. If its without rust its a good car overall I think. Worthless on a trade. I mean, totally worthless. You'd have to re-sell it on :crang: slist.

Wheels could be fixed, just get some steel black ones with off road tires. Would want to see what all was "fixed" after the break in. Maintenance history, etc. I'd actually place maintenance history higher on the list than most other things, even the exact vehicle it is, because at the $5k price point the ownership experience will depend heavily on how it was treated prior.
In the irony of ironies, there is no maintenance history on sub 5 figure vehicles. Where it counts the most of course. The current oil is clean and was changed, battery is new tires are new.

No paperwork for most things.

Car drove very good, According to carfox only one owner, it was broken into while it was having the front bumper repainted two weeks ago ... at this shop ? God knows though. Can't trust the :dillerman: since he has scores of ppl lined up already :yeahok:

That price point has nothing worthwhile ...
A set of 4 black American racing wheels to my
Liking costs $400 not horrible. Plus $100 to mount and balance tires i am assuming
max225

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:27 pm I like that gen Pathfinder. If its without rust its a good car overall I think. Worthless on a trade. I mean, totally worthless. You'd have to re-sell it on :crang: slist.

Wheels could be fixed, just get some steel black ones with off road tires. Would want to see what all was "fixed" after the break in. Maintenance history, etc. I'd actually place maintenance history higher on the list than most other things, even the exact vehicle it is, because at the $5k price point the ownership experience will depend heavily on how it was treated prior.
In the irony of ironies, there is no maintenance history on sub 5 figure vehicles. Where it counts the most of course. The current oil is clean and was changed, battery is new tires are new.

Car drove very good, According to carfox only one owner, it was broken into while it was having the front bumper repainted two weeks ago ... at this shop ? God knows though. Can't trust the :dillerman: since he has scores of ppl lined up already :yeahok:

Liking costs $400 not horrible. Plus $100 to mount and balance tires i am assuming
What do you guys think of this look?

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:27 pm

What do you guys think of this look?

I was just going to post something like that. A set of Cragars would be cheap as shit and look good. I like it.

Johnny_P

The scary part is the transmission. The rest of the shit is easy enough to see: Torn CV boots, busted wheel bearings, leaking radiators, and bad ball joints are easily seen on a lift. A busted transmission is harder to tell, especially if the dealer changed the fluid. Proof of trans fluid changes are really the only thing I look for on a used high mileage car.

IDK. Don't know really anything about the durability of these.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 pm

The scary part is the transmission. The rest of the shit is easy enough to see: Torn CV boots, busted wheel bearings, leaking radiators, and bad ball joints are easily seen on a lift. A busted transmission is harder to tell, especially if the dealer changed the fluid. Proof of trans fluid changes are really the only thing I look for on a used high mileage car.

The trans fluid change is pretty simple on these, they have DRAIN PLUGS :mindblown: And the 4 speeds are very durable compared to the newer 5 speeds. Usually 100k miles is not enough time yet to bust the tranny.

I mean I am not buying a limited air cooled porsche... Lift inspection aintgonna happen. I crawled around the car to see any/all issues I could visually inspect.

Trans oil is still red-ish which is good enough for me, brown tranny fluid is a sign of failure and or any slippage or hard shifting, none of which was present.

BTW how did you find those pics so quick ? I couldn't find a good pic of those wheels/tires. Those tires in the silver one look REALLY beafy, but I doubt they are actually functional, they are too big for that platform and look like they may rub during actual off roading.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 pm

The trans fluid change is pretty simple on these, they have DRAIN PLUGS :mindblown: And the 4 speeds are very durable compared to the newer 5 speeds. Usually 100k miles is not enough time yet to bust the tranny.

I mean I am not buying a limited air cooled porsche... Lift inspection aintgonna happen. I crawled around the car to see any/all issues I could visually inspect.

Trans oil is still red-ish which is good enough for me, brown tranny fluid is a sign of failure and or any slippage or hard shifting, none of which was present.

BTW how did you find those pics so quick ? I couldn't find a good pic of those wheels/tires. Those tires in the silver one look REALLY beafy, but I doubt they are actually functional, they are too big for that platform and look like they may rub during actual off roading.
I google-fu'd "2002 pathfinder cragar" :lol: No idea if it rubs or not, was just looking for a representative pic. Those tires do look rad though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3977712

$80 each for the :ramz: if those are the right size, I think they are. 16x7, 4" backspace... not sure of the bolt circle on the pathfinders.
max225

I found American racing wheels that fit, I am not sure if those Cragars do. You linked me to a 5 lug one, this one needs 6.

We shall see...
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6076016096.html

Never used for off road purposes, mainly city miles commuter
:wtf: I am almost done with my search. If the 4 Runner next to AZN mk1 doesn't pan out, I'm going to call it a day.

It is literally impossible to find anything worthwhile.
Johnny_P

Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225

Only reason why I am not considering a JGC is because I used to have a JGC, and I don't want to :plac:

The transmission is a bit annoying in these also. It costs $300 to service and it isn't DIY friendly :(

Good price doe.
Johnny_P

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6086907103.html

This is cool

Displaying that plate like a BAUCE NFG

A bit expensive I think, but hey, looks like he cared for it decently well.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

I hate ppl... :disgust:
How incapable are you as a human being if this is the only pic you can take.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:43 pm
Only reason why I am not considering a JGC is because I used to have a JGC, and I don't want to :plac:

The transmission is a bit annoying in these also. It costs $300 to service and it isn't DIY friendly :(

Good price doe.
Looked pretty solid to me :iono: and a lot nicer than the Pathfinder for about the same price.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6086907103.html

This is cool

Displaying that plate like a BAUCE NFG

A bit expensive I think, but hey, looks like he cared for it decently well.
I dig it. A bit too old for my tastes, but I can see the appeal for sure.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:46 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Good price doe.
Looked pretty solid to me :iono: and a lot nicer than the Pathfinder for about the same price.
Whale. Yea... but I had one already :( I had a 2003 Limited from 2007-2012
Johnny_P

Also cool but :waxer:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6084732186.html

Was kept up like whoa.
max225

Fully rebuilt engine with new pistons, bearings, seals, oil pump, resurfaced cylinder heads.
New catalytic converter
All coolant hoses replaced with Toyota factory hoses.
New radiator and water pump
Rebuilt power steering pump, and new upper and lower ball joints with alignment
New alternator
New starter motor and battery
New brake master cylinder
New air filter and K&N filter included
H4 headlight bulb conversion
Bilstein shocks all around
Rear suspension leveling
Low mileage replacement transmission with auxiliary transmission cooler
Holy shit I mean the entire driveline was replaced. :yikes:
The vehicle has been my fiances car for the past few years and has only been used as a secondary vehicle for trips to Tahoe, Yosemite, and so-cal. Since purchasing the 4runner we have put a lot of effort into making the vehicle as reliable as possible. With the purchase of a new car we have no need for the truck anymore.
Also this dude sounds like he purchased the vehicle for the exact reasons I wanted one.
Johnny_P

Local Toyota dealer has (4) 2016 4Runners brand new still sitting on the lot :wtf:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:40 pm Local Toyota dealer has (4) 2016 4Runners brand new still sitting on the lot :wtf:
New ones are 32-36k used and around 37-45k new. :wtf: they are way too expensive, and quite useless for my purpose.

They are a better car yes. But taxes alone will make up at least 70% of the purchase price of the beater vehicle.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:46 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:40 pm Local Toyota dealer has (4) 2016 4Runners brand new still sitting on the lot :wtf:
I'm tempted to buy one right now. :notsure:
Right? But they're almost used at this point. So probably $500 over MSRP :lolol:

If you can get $2k off that's a solid deal.
Ardmore Toyota
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:01 pm
Fully rebuilt engine with new pistons, bearings, seals, oil pump, resurfaced cylinder heads.
New catalytic converter
All coolant hoses replaced with Toyota factory hoses.
New radiator and water pump
Rebuilt power steering pump, and new upper and lower ball joints with alignment
New alternator
New starter motor and battery
New brake master cylinder
New air filter and K&N filter included
H4 headlight bulb conversion
Bilstein shocks all around
Rear suspension leveling
Low mileage replacement transmission with auxiliary transmission cooler
Holy shit I mean the entire driveline was replaced. :yikes:
The vehicle has been my fiances car for the past few years and has only been used as a secondary vehicle for trips to Tahoe, Yosemite, and so-cal. Since purchasing the 4runner we have put a lot of effort into making the vehicle as reliable as possible. With the purchase of a new car we have no need for the truck anymore.
Also this dude sounds like he purchased the vehicle for the exact reasons I wanted one.
Yeah that's why I posted it. I mean. You buy that nothing will go wrong and you'll have a hella unique vehicle that everyone would be jelly of.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Right? But they're almost used at this point. So probably $500 over MSRP :lolol:

If you can get $2k off that's a solid deal.
Ardmore Toyota
:lolol:

Having fueling issues with the Forks that are driving me up a wall. :|
Tune problem?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

TRD 4Runner? :fuckyeah:

Hitch mount bike rack doe? :notsure:
Johnny_P