Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

wap wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:51 pm Let the "mods" begin. Black R license plate frame, black R keychain, and USB-C cable ordered. I'll see if the :dillerman: can open the armrest for me when I go back Saturday for them to fix the window. If not I'll open it myself.
:wat: is the deal with the non-opening arm rest?
Some obscure 'murican regulation. I think it's if there's a driveshaft running down the center of the car and if the center cubby is a certain volume it needs to have a latch. VW bolted it shut instead of redesigning the armrest. Once the screws are removed and zip ties inserted, the armrest will open but won't be adjustable like the one in the GTI. I think you can retrofit the GTI's ratcheting mechanism but it's pricey so I'll pass on that. As long as it opens I'm good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:03 pm
wap wrote:
:wat: is the deal with the non-opening arm rest?
Some obscure 'murican regulation. I think it's if there's a driveshaft running down the center of the car and if the center cubby is a certain volume it needs to have a latch. VW bolted it shut instead of redesigning the armrest. Once the screws are removed and zip ties inserted, the armrest will open but won't be adjustable like the one in the GTI. I think you can retrofit the GTI's ratcheting mechanism but it's pricey so I'll pass on that. As long as it opens I'm good.

:rolleyes: They should've just put in a latch.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Gberg2119 wrote:
wap wrote: :wat: is the deal with the non-opening arm rest?

I'm test driving a GoRf and GTI PP tomorrow :fuckyeah:

:dillerlady: has been bugging me to do so for days.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Some obscure 'murican regulation. I think it's if there's a driveshaft running down the center of the car and if the center cubby is a certain volume it needs to have a latch. VW bolted it shut instead of redesigning the armrest. Once the screws are removed and zip ties inserted, the armrest will open but won't be adjustable like the one in the GTI. I think you can retrofit the GTI's ratcheting mechanism but it's pricey so I'll pass on that. As long as it opens I'm good.

In4 comparo :jimp:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 pm I'm test driving a GoRf and GTI PP tomorrow :fuckyeah:

Will update tomorrow. I think that the price differential is too close. They only sell PP fully loaded.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:43 pm

:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Some obscure 'murican regulation. I think it's if there's a driveshaft running down the center of the car and if the center cubby is a certain volume it needs to have a latch. VW bolted it shut instead of redesigning the armrest. Once the screws are removed and zip ties inserted, the armrest will open but won't be adjustable like the one in the GTI. I think you can retrofit the GTI's ratcheting mechanism but it's pricey so I'll pass on that. As long as it opens I'm good.

:like: It's going to be a tough call between the two for sure. A few weeks before I bought the R I test drove a GTI sport and loved it. The LSD is great and it felt almost as quick as my stage 2 Mk6. I thought I'd be okay going with the GTI Sport but after thinking about it I felt like I'd just be doing the same thing all over again. Back down the rabbit hole of mods which I don't want to do.

It's all down to worth really. Do you view the top end hot hatches like the R, RS, and STI as just $40k versions of economy cars? If not the $40k won't seem so bad.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 pm I'm test driving a GoRf and GTI PP tomorrow :fuckyeah:

:like: It's going to be a tough call between the two for sure. A few weeks before I bought the R I test drove a GTI sport and loved it. The LSD is great and it felt almost as quick as my stage 2 Mk6. I thought I'd be okay going with the GTI Sport but after thinking about it I felt like I'd just be doing the same thing all over again. Back down the rabbit hole of mods which I don't want to do.

It's all down to worth really. Do you view the top end hot hatches like the R, RS, and STI as just $40k versions of economy cars? If not the $40k won't seem so bad.
I don't view the hot hatch market the same as the basic bitch products. They typically come with Haldex(etc) awd, sport seats, fixed caliper brakes, upgraded suspension, upgraded wheels, in some cases double the power and special paint at very least. It's easier to compare them to compact luxury because of pricing, where the buyer chooses fun over comfort.

I'm thinking that the net difference between the only option I have for a PP GTI (loaded) and a base Type R is about 5k + tx or whatever. It is moot point since the resale value between the two after 6 or 8 years will be at least that much.

I am excited to drive both cars for :science: , and I see on websites that I'll be looking at a 2k discount (Canada deals) which puts me in the price target of under $40k CAD. If they pull some additional VW loyalty card I might need to just get one. I stupidly put $1k returnable deposit on a Civic Type R which is only refundable if the car is above my offer price. VW sale ends today and the Type R pricing doesn't come out for another month.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

GoRf sounds and drives :jimp: 5/7 car.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Details are needed. I wasn't' allowed to drive the R. And they just tossed me the keys to the GAYTI and said have at it.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Details are needed. I wasn't' allowed to drive the R. And they just tossed me the keys to the GAYTI and said have at it.
That's because R's in the Bay Area are priced as if they are made from solid platinum because they are prized by the brogrammers.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:04 pm
maxtdi wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:58 pm

That's because R's in the Bay Area are priced as if they are made from solid platinum because they are prized by the brogrammers.
Bay Area Brogramming Billionaires drive GAYTIs with the Dick dick wheels.

Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:06 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Bay Area Brogramming Billionaires drive GAYTIs with the Dick dick wheels.

One of the great contributions the forumz have made to me is having me view Serrons and other similar wheels as Bukkake ramz. :jizz:
Such literature, so cultural.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Talking wallet edition... 2k for the tech package, sitting with diller lady and discussing pricing now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

She found one without the tech package but still has the ramz and in blue. No price yet...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

GTI was fun I'm the twistes but feels downright underpowered after driving GoRf
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yup 2k off list price is being sent up to management. They can keep the tech package and add the DSG (because wife unit), and add the plethora wheels or whatever they are called.

If she says yes I need to pray that the Type R comes in above 38k CAD which is very likely.

Fuck I love throwing money at cars. :disgust: :rage:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:32 pm GTI was fun I'm the twistes but feels downright underpowered after driving GoRf
:notsure: really? We talking both cars equipped with DSGAY? The R must out down what... 20 extra WHP but it weighs an extra 200lbs as well.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:32 pm GTI was fun I'm the twistes but feels downright underpowered after driving GoRf
:notsure: really? We talking both cars equipped with DSGAY? The R must out down what... 20 extra WHP but it weighs an extra 200lbs as well.
I drove a 2016 :manuel: demo vs 2017 DSGAY GoRf

Felt way more then 20 hp under powered. :notsure:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 pm
maxtdi wrote:
I drove a 2016 :manuel: demo vs 2017 DSGAY GoRf

Well you're talking :manuel: to DSGAY doe...

Gayti puts down 220hp and 275 TQ "stock"

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

She says that the posted 2k sale is for the golf 1.8T highline (top model)

It did come back with a 1500 discount. I sent it back with 1500 discount + I want 500 off of winter tars package because my 16s don't fit the brakes..
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 pm I drove a 2016 :manuel: demo vs 2017 DSGAY GoRf

Well you're talking :manuel: to DSGAY doe...

It's a nice car and fast as balls but the R makes it feel not so exciting. It might have a lot to do with DSGAY :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:
maxtdi wrote: Well you're talking :manuel: to DSGAY doe...

It's a nice car and fast as balls but the R makes it feel not so exciting. It might have a lot to do with DSGAY :iono:
R with a DSGAY must be nuts. What's the tech pack in Canada? DCC, nav, driver assist?

max225

Whats the $ difference between two GTI PP and Golf R?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

maxtdi wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 pm Whats the $ difference between two GTI PP and Golf R?
Lease a 2018 refresh GTI and NFG for 3 years