Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:10 pm
max225 wrote:$450 a month for insurance holy fuckballs
:dat:

Our insurance nearly tripled moving from NY to FL but it's still "only" about $200/mo... for a worthless mazderp3 that we never drive.

I have one blemish on an otherwise clean record (speeding 20 over), somehow I took the distracted driving ticket and requested an in-person court date, and 13 months later still haven't received a court date. My monthly went up from $120/month on the :gorf: to $150/month, and I'm not sure how much of that is the actual ticket. $450/month is like some high risk teenager rate, :dafuq:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

My wife and I together pay about $115/mo. :mindblown:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Went to see the Fit. Rear bumper is scuffed up, but they’re going to repaint it. They’re honoring the $30k offer for the Jeep. I’m gonna sleep on it tonight and if it’s still there in the morning I’ll likely do the deal. I’d like them to come down another $500-100 doe on the Fit.
Desertbreh

Goddam everybody is just giving up. Myself included. Datcuktopiaforumdoe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:12 pm Went to see the Fit. Rear bumper is scuffed up, but they’re going to repaint it. They’re honoring the $30k offer for the Jeep. I’m gonna sleep on it tonight and if it’s still there in the morning I’ll likely do the deal. I’d like them to come down another $500-100 doe on the Fit.
What year Fit? When I met the wife, she had an 09 IIRC, the first of the 2nd gen here. It was a base and I hated that thing. I barely fit in it, it was REALLY cheap, and it was legit dangerously slow. Make sure you drive it on the highway and make sure you're ok with the power.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:30 pm Goddam everybody is just giving up. Myself included. Datcuktopiaforumdoe.
The worst part is, I really like the Subaru. So I guess I need to make my wife's boyfriend another drink...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:30 pm Goddam everybody is just giving up. Myself included. Datcuktopiaforumdoe.
Same dealer group has a 2018 Slanty-H Elantra SE across the street at their Hyundai dealership for $1k more. Still :manual: , 60k less miles.. that may be the play instead of the Fit if it doesn’t look quite as used as the Fit did when I looked at that tonight. I’ll ask to see it in the morning when I go back.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:42 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:12 pm Went to see the Fit. Rear bumper is scuffed up, but they’re going to repaint it. They’re honoring the $30k offer for the Jeep. I’m gonna sleep on it tonight and if it’s still there in the morning I’ll likely do the deal. I’d like them to come down another $500-100 doe on the Fit.
What year Fit? When I met the wife, she had an 09 IIRC, the first of the 2nd gen here. It was a base and I hated that thing. I barely fit in it, it was REALLY cheap, and it was legit dangerously slow. Make sure you drive it on the highway and make sure you're ok with the power.
2016. I took it on the freeway. It felt fine. Biggest complaint was how sloppy the shifter felt, but that’s an easy mod to throw a short shifter with some different bushings in there to clean that up.

I’m gonna see if I like the Elantra better.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:42 pm
2016. I took it on the freeway. It felt fine. Biggest complaint was how sloppy the shifter felt, but that’s an easy mod to throw a short shifter with some different bushings in there to clean that up.

Oh, newer. I think that would be fine. The Fit has great storage flexibility.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:20 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:44 pm

Oh, newer. I think that would be fine. The Fit has great storage flexibility.
Yeah, it was just a little beat up visually, so I’ll see how the Elantra compares.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I ain’t y’all have good luck cuckin’
SAWCE

Priority for me at this point is reduce monthly cash expenditure, and stack cash in the bank. Goal for this transaction is to end with no monthly payment, cheaper insurance by at least $100/month, and dropping 10k into my savings after paying off the Jeep and buying the new car.
Last edited by SAWCE on Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:10 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:04 pm

Ain’t nothing wrong with figuring out your priorities.

For some of us, it’s still cars, for others it’s vacation property, and for others yet it’s bikes and boats.

The variety of interests here is great, especially considering we all graduated from the church of :plaid: - the :turboyaris:
And some of us have never left. :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

Elantra I’m gonna look at tomorrow if anyone wants to weigh in:

https://www.kearnymesahyundai.com/inven ... xju521088/
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:49 pm Elantra I’m gonna look at tomorrow if anyone wants to weigh in:

I've never driven either, but they at both decent appliances. I want to like the Fit more for its space utilization, but Johnny_P and others have :disgust: when bringing it up. Wife owned a Santa Fe for a problem free 10 yrs. After that it started to come unglued. I'll bet the fit can go 15-20 yrs.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:27 pm

For some of us, it’s still cars, for others it’s vacation property, and for others yet it’s bikes and boats.

The variety of interests here is great, especially considering we all graduated from the church of :plaid: - the :turboyaris:
:dat: the :gorf: turned 4 last week, hopefully it serves well until I need or want something bigger. My only beef is that the wheels are too big.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:04 pm

Life isn't getting any cheaper, saving on the car front is the simplest adjustment. It'll be a while before I buy a :fancy: car again. :flaccid:
SAWCE

Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:54 am
SAWCE wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:49 pm Elantra I’m gonna look at tomorrow if anyone wants to weigh in:

I've never driven either, but they at both decent appliances. I want to like the Fit more for its space utilization, but Johnny_P and others have :disgust: when bringing it up. Wife owned a Santa Fe for a problem free 10 yrs. After that it started to come unglued. I'll bet the fit can go 15-20 yrs.
If the Fit was in better cosmetic condition, it wouldn’t be a question, I’d hop in that for sure. If I don’t just grab the Hyundai first based on looks/condition when I show up this morning, I’ll send pics of the Fit to show you guys what I mean.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:34 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:54 am

If the Fit was in better cosmetic condition, it wouldn’t be a question, I’d hop in that for sure. If I don’t just grab the Hyundai first based on looks/condition when I show up this morning, I’ll send pics of the Fit to show you guys what I mean.
The Fit has super thin sheet metal, a door form another car catching wind and landing on a Fit will leave a serious welt. It's probably why they look so beaten after a few years. You mentioned that the back bumper is scuffed too. It would be a NFG car for sure. Have fun shopping today!
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:47 am
SAWCE wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:34 am

The Fit has super thin sheet metal, a door form another car catching wind and landing on a Fit will leave a serious welt. It's probably why they look so beaten after a few years. You mentioned that the back bumper is scuffed too. It would be a NFG car for sure. Have fun shopping today!

ZFG bumper car might not be the worst thing.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:56 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:47 am

ZFG bumper car might not be the worst thing.
If it was only the bumper, absolutely, especially since they’re going to respray that.. but the B-pillars have peeling on the plastic trim, the interior of the hatch is scratched up, and inside the cockpit doesn’t look stellar. It’s be a ZFG car for sure, but if I can buy something that looks much nicer (plus has 60k fewer miles) for only $1k more, I’m going to lean that way. There’s something to be said for ZFG derp-mobile, but I also enjoy taking pride in how things look and I know those little things would bother me over time.

If Hyundai won’t budge on that 13k price, I’ll head back to Honda and see if I can get them down to 10-11k, I’d feel much better about that price than spending 12k on it.

We’ll see what happens.

Oh, also, I was wrong about how much it would drop my insurance lol. The $350 drop was for my whole 6 month policy, so only a $60 monthly drop, which makes much more sense. Still a cost savings doe, especially when coupled with not having a monthly payment, and while walking away from the transaction with throwing 5 figures into my savings account.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:58 am

:dat: the :gorf: turned 4 last week, hopefully it serves well until I need or want something bigger. My only beef is that the wheels are too big.
You got the 19" Prets? Wheels that yuuge are stupid. Hell, 18" are borderline stupid, IMO.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

:dat: Running my :mk6: into the ground. Needs suspension work but I am on the fence as how much I want to put into a 180k fart machine. That said, the engine still purrs like a kitten and it still pulls hard with the tuna.....
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I love the Elantra sister car that we have (Kia Optima). It is great on trips and is a seriously better overall driving experience than its badge or price might suggest. The only thing I hate about it is rear visability....it sucks hard. But it does have a back up camera (Ours is faulty though).

If you haven't driven it, I think it bears a test drive Brandon...
SAWCE

Irish wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:23 am I love the Elantra sister car that we have (Kia Optima). It is great on trips and is a seriously better overall driving experience than its badge or price might suggest. The only thing I hate about it is rear visability....it sucks hard. But it does have a back up camera (Ours is faulty though).

If you haven't driven it, I think it bears a test drive Brandon...
The Elantra is my first planned test drive this morning :like: