Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:26 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Until March?? :)

I'm in Arizona right now, but as max said, it's crazy at home too.
Nah I'd be out of there if I could. I spent a short stint in Atlantic City one winter and it was nice. I guess that the ocean keeps temps feeling fantastic throughout most of the year. :iono:

It was weird though, on one side of the tracks (actual train tracks, like WTF) you have upscale living and on the other was a ghetto.

I imagine NC coastline to have a similar coastline. I'd be about those weather conditions in a somewhat safe and upscale subdivision and within a 1hr drive to a metropolis with an airport.

Mountain life like Utah sounds 5/7 too, trade up for a cabin, :jeep: :truck: , breed pups for 4k/piece until my weed/edible manufacturing/delivery service got off the ground (or whatever legal derivative of being a professional "self-employed" business owner I'd become while living there.

I think my end game for this life, and once the kids are moved out, will be to see the house and move closer to Grand Bend. A lot of Toronto people and even Michigan people have moved there permanently in the last few years. Its growing a lot, but for now land is cheap and farms can be had.
This is why I've been trying to move there :lolol: But it does get really hot/humid in the summer. :aintcare: though, the winters are even slightly more mild than here in Charlotte.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:26 pm Nah I'd be out of there if I could. I spent a short stint in Atlantic City one winter and it was nice. I guess that the ocean keeps temps feeling fantastic throughout most of the year. :iono:

It was weird though, on one side of the tracks (actual train tracks, like WTF) you have upscale living and on the other was a ghetto.

I imagine NC coastline to have a similar coastline. I'd be about those weather conditions in a somewhat safe and upscale subdivision and within a 1hr drive to a metropolis with an airport.

Mountain life like Utah sounds 5/7 too, trade up for a cabin, :jeep: :truck: , breed pups for 4k/piece until my weed/edible manufacturing/delivery service got off the ground (or whatever legal derivative of being a professional "self-employed" business owner I'd become while living there.

I think my end game for this life, and once the kids are moved out, will be to see the house and move closer to Grand Bend. A lot of Toronto people and even Michigan people have moved there permanently in the last few years. Its growing a lot, but for now land is cheap and farms can be had.
This is why I've been trying to move there Imageol: But it does get really hot/humid in the summer. :aintcare: though, the winters are even slightly more mild than here in Charlotte.
Isn't the summer also more mild on the coast?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:33 pm Image
And we have a sky again ...
Well... once the fires clear, that is an awesome deck/view at least :jelly:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:I'm getting more and more pessimistic about widespread WFH long term. I just dont buy that productivity is going to stay as high over the next several months for 30% of the workforce. Since many companies are dumb if 30% can't handle WFH they will probably make everyone come in.
:notwrong:

:doomed:

The dream is slowly dying. It's going to be a long winter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:15 am
D Griff wrote:
This is why I've been trying to move there Imageol: But it does get really hot/humid in the summer. :aintcare: though, the winters are even slightly more mild than here in Charlotte.
Isn't the summer also more mild on the coast?
Not in my experience, the humidity is waaay high, temperatures are similar but it is very sticky at the beaches here in the summer. :iono: I'd probably say the difference between Charlotte and NC beaches from April-October is very minimal, sub 5% but then it's like 10-20% nicer for the other part of the year. Those are made up numbers but that's my perception.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:05 am I'm getting more and more pessimistic about widespread WFH long term. I just dont buy that productivity is going to stay as high over the next several months for 30% of the workforce. Since many companies are dumb if 30% can't handle WFH they will probably make everyone come in.
I think cost savings are going to drive a lot of WFH decisions, especially in my shitty industry. I could see larger companies making some sort of WFH permanent just for the savings in facilities costs alone. My hope is that it could end up being a personal choice per person how often they want to come into the office, which is why I've made it a point to be ridiculously responsive when questions/tasks come up.

PSA (Peugeot) has announced permanent WFH in Europe citing savings from emissions in commuting and employee satisfaction. At most 1 to 1.5 days in the office per week for people that aren't directly involved in production activities, and you only come into the office for meetings that can't be accomplished remotely (product reviews or whatnot). They're converting all offices to facilitate this. It's a bold move for the ancient auto industry, and they've been surprisingly detailed with employee expectations. My hope is this translates to my company after the takeoverrrr "merger". The cost savings in facilities would be immense.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:15 am Isn't the summer also more mild on the coast?
Not in my experience, the humidity is waaay high, temperatures are similar but it is very sticky at the beaches here in the summer. :iono: I'd probably say the difference between Charlotte and NC beaches from April-October is very minimal, sub 5% but then it's like 10-20% nicer for the other part of the year. Those are made up numbers but that's my perception.
:word:

Sounds great if you can get a job.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

How was everyone's Labor Day Weekend?

Had a pretty :fuckyeah: time murdering my sister, weather at the beach was very nice, got a couple of bike rides in, lots of beer and :fatty: , mostly just chilled on the beach/at the VRBO. I don't think we'll be doing VRBO again, the owner turned out to be a major cunt... we have stayed in at least 30 airBNBs and never had any issues.

For starters, right before the trip she emails us all this documentation and says the house has no sheets, towels, anything, BYOEverything. Whatever, kind of annoying, but NBD. We get to the house and it was really quite nice, it was in a beach front trailer park, it sounds pretty redneck and is, but overall not a bad way to go, and it was spacious, well decorated and over all a pleasant place. All of that said, we noticed some sand around the house, dist under the beds... again, NBD, it's a beach rental and wasn't the most expensive place. We also noticed that the TV didn't work, they claimed to have cable... no go. NBD again, I really don't watch TV, but I think my sister and BIL were a bit annoyed. During our stay the woman texted my wife a couple of times asking for random stuff - take the trash out, water my plants, etc. Kind of odd, but whatever.

So, we go to check out, and there is a laundry list of shit we're supposed to do... sweep the outdoor shower, clean the golf cart (which we were able to use as part of the rental), several other things. We paid a cleaning fee for this property, so it was a bit :wtf: that we had to do chores, but OK. Checkout is 10 AM and this cleaning lady shows up at 9:45 and is all "why are you still here, blah". Well bitch, we paid for the full time. We are out by 10:05 and the cleaning lady goes in. Maybe 30 minutes later, the owner starts texting my wife that she can't believe we had the audacity to trash her house AND check out late and inconvenience her cleaning lady. She sends us a picture of a pile of sand, this is literally the pile that the cleaning lady must've swept for the entire living/kitchen areas, and that is somehow trashing the place. :wtf: were we supposed to vacuum to? What are we paying $135 cleaning fee for if we were expected to clean everything? We absolutely in no way trashed the property, we slept there, chilled on the porch, cooked breakfast a few times, etc.

All in all, 5/7 weekend, but I think we will go back to AirBNB going forward.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:35 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:27 am How was everyone's Labor Day Weekend?

Had a pretty :fuckyeah: time murdering my sister, weather at the beach was very nice, got a couple of bike rides in, lots of beer and :fatty: , mostly just chilled on the beach/at the VRBO. I don't think we'll be doing VRBO again, the owner turned out to be a major cunt... we have stayed in at least 30 airBNBs and never had any issues.

For starters, right before the trip she emails us all this documentation and says the house has no sheets, towels, anything, BYOEverything. Whatever, kind of annoying, but NBD. We get to the house and it was really quite nice, it was in a beach front trailer park, it sounds pretty redneck and is, but overall not a bad way to go, and it was spacious, well decorated and over all a pleasant place. All of that said, we noticed some sand around the house, dist under the beds... again, NBD, it's a beach rental and wasn't the most expensive place. We also noticed that the TV didn't work, they claimed to have cable... no go. NBD again, I really don't watch TV, but I think my sister and BIL were a bit annoyed. During our stay the woman texted my wife a couple of times asking for random stuff - take the trash out, water my plants, etc. Kind of odd, but whatever.

So, we go to check out, and there is a laundry list of shit we're supposed to do... sweep the outdoor shower, clean the golf cart (which we were able to use as part of the rental), several other things. We paid a cleaning fee for this property, so it was a bit :wtf: that we had to do chores, but OK. Checkout is 10 AM and this cleaning lady shows up at 9:45 and is all "why are you still here, blah". Well bitch, we paid for the full time. We are out by 10:05 and the cleaning lady goes in. Maybe 30 minutes later, the owner starts texting my wife that she can't believe we had the audacity to trash her house AND check out late and inconvenience her cleaning lady. She sends us a picture of a pile of sand, this is literally the pile that the cleaning lady must've swept for the entire living/kitchen areas, and that is somehow trashing the place. :wtf: were we supposed to vacuum to? What are we paying $135 cleaning fee for if we were expected to clean everything? We absolutely in no way trashed the property, we slept there, chilled on the porch, cooked breakfast a few times, etc.

What in the good god fuck is that bullshit
:dat: I've never heard of this sort of experience...would NEVER do this when we were AirBNB hosts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

We had 3 days in a row with running water and no construction, sweet weekend. Otherwise just sitting at home like usual. Now we're back to week 3 of chaos. Water's been off for a few hours, no notice ahead of time and no ETA for return. :thisisfine:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:56 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:53 am We had 3 days in a row with running water and no construction, sweet weekend. Otherwise just sitting at home like usual. Now we're back to week 3 of chaos. Water's been off for a few hours, no notice ahead of time and no ETA for return. :thisisfine:

The lack of notice is fucking ridiculous
:dat: :wtf:

I get that sometimes maintenance needs to be done... but water is pretty essential.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:05 am I'm getting more and more pessimistic about widespread WFH long term. I just dont buy that productivity is going to stay as high over the next several months for 30% of the workforce. Since many companies are dumb if 30% can't handle WFH they will probably make everyone come in.
It becomes a socioeconomic issue as well. Some people that work at our site don’t have internet at home, whether by circumstances or by choice. Others don’t have a home setup/office they can isolate themselves in and fully focus.

I know most orgs know that no one is glued to their seat 100% of the “8 hours” they are WFH but there’s also the productivity factor of individuals working from home during this pandemic where a big % of society is closed/shut down. Once society opens up to new normal levels, would people slack off even more?

And then you get to the business units that simply need to be on-site for projects (constructions, building, prototype, etc)

I think moving forward it will be WFH on various rotating levels specific to business unit needs and capacities. You can’t make across the board WFH for a company like GM when some folks only work in production factories and cannot WFH whatsoever, so it’ll be delegated to to the units themselves.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:37 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:35 am

What in the good god fuck is that bullshit
:dat: I've never heard of this sort of experience...would NEVER do this when we were AirBNB hosts.
Yeah, I don't get it. We have received 5 star ratings by every other place we've stayed. We are tidy people, respectful of property, etc. Our dog (pets were allowed/we paid a pet fee) did vomit during the stay, we 100% left that area cleaner than before he did that, but it was the only incident of any kind.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:57 am
It becomes a socioeconomic issue as well. Some people that work at our site don’t have internet at home, whether by circumstances or by choice. Others don’t have a home setup/office they can isolate themselves in and fully focus.

I know most orgs know that no one is glued to their seat 100% of the “8 hours” they are WFH but there’s also the productivity factor of individuals working from home during this pandemic where a big % of society is closed/shut down. Once society opens up to new normal levels, would people slack off even more?

And then you get to the business units that simply need to be on-site for projects (constructions, building, prototype, etc)

I think moving forward it will be WFH on various rotating levels specific to business unit needs and capacities. You can’t make across the board WFH for a company like GM when some folks only work in production factories and cannot WFH whatsoever, so it’ll be delegated to to the units themselves.
I feel like these are all real situations that need to be addressed today and should WFH be offered more permanently. I think it's a case of having good management that can make those calls on a person by person/department by department basis. Some people are happier in an office and they should be allowed the use of one if possible. If you "choose not to have internet at home" ( :wtf: ), then yeah, get your ass to the office. Internet is cheaper than a bus pass. If you need to collaborate with your colleagues, set up a time to meet at the office.

I think Detroit's example with PSA is really cool - keep offices but make them more flexible. You can save a ton of money as less space is needed, keep people happy, and improve/reduce environmental impact.

My BIL works for TIAA and they are doing some pretty cool stuff moving forward he was telling me about this weekend. They are shutting down many offices but keeping some main headquarters in place (although reduced). Going forward they will set up other options for employees who need to meet with clients on site and such. One example was in Charleston, they have a handful of financial planners/reps who have traditionally worked out of a local office. They are terminating that lease and getting membershit at a local yacht club with conference rooms and stuff, so when they need to meet clients, they can bring them in, wine/dine, and have an effective place to meet. There is also a hotel lobby-like space where they can go to work if they want to get away from home or need to collaborate in an office type environment. Now the employees get a cool setup that's nicer than what they had in the office and also saves the company a ton of money.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:56 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:53 am We had 3 days in a row with running water and no construction, sweet weekend. Otherwise just sitting at home like usual. Now we're back to week 3 of chaos. Water's been off for a few hours, no notice ahead of time and no ETA for return. :thisisfine:

Yeah that’s absurd
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:

Small town lyfe. It's only 5 residences, 1 of which is vacant, so they're :aintcare:

It's the same reason our block gets plowed last and only on school days. School doesn't start until after 9 so :whocares: about people getting to work.
troyguitar

We're also the only people on the block who own anything besides :truk: or SUVs. Even the 2 young Chinese dudes who moved in recently each drive black SUVs.

Everyone else is :aintcare: about the road being torn up or unplowed since their cars can still get in and out.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Terrible host, I'm an AirBnB host RN for a beach house. I charge the cleaning fee and don't say a peep unless asked. If there is a mess I just :whocares: , it I'd covered!

I make my cleaning crew handle the extras like take the trash curb side etc. I do ask that the place is "broom swept" condition when leaving, but that doesn't move any sand nor should it.

There is a fine line between communicating too much and just not enough, this lady doesn't even know that a line exists!

RE: Dead sister... But iS sHe DeAd?!?

I really enjoyed having a restful LaboUr Day weekend. I worked a shorter day on Saturday, paid some bills while :drunk: and swam a bit in the pool, walked the dog, and played soccer with the boys in the park. We are starting to get a lot of rain and stuff, I should probably have planned to sod the front lawn at our new place, :ohwell: ,there is always spring.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:24 pm

Terrible host, I'm an AirBnB host RN for a beach house. I charge the cleaning fee and don't say a peep unless asked. If there is a mess I just :whocares: , it I'd covered!

I make my cleaning crew handle the extras like take the trash curb side etc. I do ask that the place is "broom swept" condition when leaving, but that doesn't move any sand nor should it.

There is a fine line between communicating too much and just not enough, this lady doesn't even know that a line exists!

I really enjoyed having a restful LaboUr Day weekend. I worked a shorter day on Saturday, paid some bills while :drunk: and swam a bit in the pool, walked the dog, and played soccer with the boys in the park. We are starting to get a lot of rain and stuff, I should probably have planned to sod the front lawn at our new place, :ohwell: ,there is always spring.
To my knowledge she isn't actually dead yet, will report back when I have more updates.

I am still a bit :triggered: by that host. I mean, I get being pissed when someone actually trashes your place, which I'm sure happens. But we did all dishes, cleaned counters, cleaned out fridge, stripped beds, took out trash, etc. I am someone who even leaves a hotel room looking pretty tidy just out of human decency for the cleaning peeps. We watered this bitch's plants twice!

:ohwell: We will see how much she tries to invoice us for :lolol:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Weekend was pretty low key. Got some bike riding in, hung out, just missed a stabbing. The usual.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:01 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:55 pm Weekend was pretty low key. Got some bike riding in, hung out, just missed a stabbing. The usual.
Talk about burying the headline.
:lol:

We were looking for something to do yesterday since it was so nice out. Decided we’d take a drive down to Point Pleasant to watch the boats in the inlet and let the kiddo play in the sand. After a bit we decide to go walk down the board walk, play some of the crane games and win a stuffed toy, and we grab an ice cream.

We have some cops run past but we don’t think anything of it. As we walk back to find an open bench, we see all of the ATVs in a half-circle, cops and life guards everywhere. Security yelling at people to keep moving and stop filming.

Articles reported that 2 people were stabbed and 2 people were arrested.

Made for an interesting day at least. :lol:
Oh, and traffic wasn’t bad coming home either.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:31 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:24 pm

To my knowledge she isn't actually dead yet, will report back when I have more updates.

I am still a bit :triggered: by that host. I mean, I get being pissed when someone actually trashes your place, which I'm sure happens. But we did all dishes, cleaned counters, cleaned out fridge, stripped beds, took out trash, etc. I am someone who even leaves a hotel room looking pretty tidy just out of human decency for the cleaning peeps. We watered this bitch's plants twice!

:ohwell: We will see how much she tries to invoice us for :lolol:
Nailed it, she's probably making up reasons to keep the damage deposit. What a bitch man!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:amaze:

Sounds like a good and frustrating weekend at the same time. You should give the cunt a lousy review.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

AirBnB is surprisingly good at communicating with the host, maybe they are receptive to feedback from customers, I'd try and beat her to the punch and demand a refund on the rental fee before she puts in a complaint to get the damage deposit. She deserves to get a bad review too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:28 pm

:amaze:

Sounds like a good and frustrating weekend at the same time. You should give the cunt a lousy review.
I will... it was but a blip in an otherwise :fuckyeah: weekend. :aintcare: Just wanted to bitch about it somewhere and this is my platform of choice.