Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:01 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:57 pm

pretty sure a lot of companies are making aftermarket fenders that can accomodate turn signals or whatever other lights are on there.
Some just came out at SEMA, but nothing really on the market before now.

I think the OEM's actually look pretty good, especially if you bought the LED lighting package.
:notsure: What the issue is with the OEM setup, what are these guys complaining about?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:02 pm

I think the OEM's actually look pretty good, especially if you bought the LED lighting package.
:notsure: What the issue is with the OEM setup, what are these guys complaining about?
They don't like the turn signals on the fenders.

The stuff that came out at SEMA were more of the high-clearance or flat fenders that accommodate some type of LED light for the signals to stay street legal. Some use a much smaller light, some use small LED strip lights.
max225

p. These aren't people who are going to fill the bed with mulch and boulders. It's not a work truck. It's absolutely a lifestyle choice. These are people who are into surfing, mountain biking, dirt bikes, side-by-sides.
"Everyone wants these cars that are cool and unique — like a manual transmission station wagon — but we'll sell 16 of them," says Kuniskis. "In a big company like FCA, we have to make a business decision.
Straight from FCA when talking about the Gladiator... :lol: :lol: Dude knows what's up... but but... ORANGE MANUAL WAGON BRO ...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:12 pm
p. These aren't people who are going to fill the bed with mulch and boulders. It's not a work truck. It's absolutely a lifestyle choice. These are people who are into surfing, mountain biking, dirt bikes, side-by-sides.
"Everyone wants these cars that are cool and unique — like a manual transmission station wagon — but we'll sell 16 of them," says Kuniskis. "In a big company like FCA, we have to make a business decision.
Straight from FCA when talking about the Gladiator... :lol: :lol: Dude knows what's up... but but... ORANGE MANUAL WAGON BRO ...
If it's not a brown diesel manual RWD station wagon it can go straight to hell.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:36 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:00 pm

I agree with the bolded part and is what I do not miss at all about my JKU. The JLU setup is much, much better in every way. The 8 speed auto was desperately needed in the JKU.
Brakes are definitely on the weaker side - but I'm perfectly fine with the trans behavior. I did a 20 mile test drive and I'm gonna take it home tonight and make sure I'm cool with it.

Interior is fine, it's a :jeep:

My important items are heated seats, good audio (this has the Alpine system), and a hitch. Boxes checked.

Can literally drive this for 2-3 years and not lose much of anything but gas and maintenance. Still has plenty of powertrain warranty intact and even has B2B warranty intact.
eh, very unlikely it'll need "warranty" work then again, you seem to have some really odd luck when it comes to this.

I wouldn't bank on lack of "depreciation" on this right now... and have it be a selling point. FCA is on track to make 300k Wranglers this year, and next year it'll be 50-70k Gladiators... overall... :notsure: how much :jeep: this country can handle... nearly 400k units for this vehicle seems like an insane amount to me.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:40 pm

Brakes are definitely on the weaker side - but I'm perfectly fine with the trans behavior. I did a 20 mile test drive and I'm gonna take it home tonight and make sure I'm cool with it.

My important items are heated seats, good audio (this has the Alpine system), and a hitch. Boxes checked.

Can literally drive this for 2-3 years and not lose much of anything but gas and maintenance. Still has plenty of powertrain warranty intact and even has B2B warranty intact.
eh, very unlikely it'll need "warranty" work then again, you seem to have some really odd luck when it comes to this.

I wouldn't bank on lack of "depreciation" on this right now... and have it be a selling point. FCA is on track to make 300k Wranglers this year, and next year it'll be 50-70k Gladiators... overall... :notsure: how much :jeep: this country can handle... nearly 400k units for this vehicle seems like an insane amount to me.
Jeep market is flooded. Better buy a Rav4.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:00 pm

I agree with the bolded part and is what I do not miss at all about my JKU. The JLU setup is much, much better in every way. The 8 speed auto was desperately needed in the JKU.

I thought the JK's 5 speed auto was all right. Brakes were flat out bad and it had the wiggly jigglies. But, who cares you ain't gonna be driving this like Dale Earnhardt.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:45 pm

I thought the JK's 5 speed auto was all right. Brakes were flat out bad and it had the wiggly jigglies. But, who cares you ain't gonna be driving this like Dale Earnhardt.
Depends. With the 5 speed and the 3.73s the thing has some weird acceleration quirks. I heard if that you had the 4.11's it was a bit better, but shit.....even with the 3.73's it screams just cruising on the freeway at 75-80 and got shit mileage, so I can't imagine what it did with 4.11's.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

The gears are spaced too far apart for freeway passing etc, you're either derping at 1800-2500rpm around or you're full on SCREAMING ENGINE time in this thing, and since the engine sounds like shit it is a :disgust: experience above 4500rpm.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:45 pm Moving this discussion over to here.

My price is $28853. $500 over cost.

Working on trade number, I’ll know more tomorrow.
Whoa dude, getting a :jeep:

Why no :manuel: ? I'm not sure I endorse this prospect. But, your level of :plac: is certainly to be commended. Also, you could get something more fun to DD? :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 pm

The gears are spaced too far apart for freeway passing etc, you're either derping at 1800-2500rpm around or you're full on SCREAMING ENGINE time in this thing, and since the engine sounds like shit it is a :disgust: experience above 4500rpm.
After renting that JKU... I don't think I'd want to daily one... they really kind of drive like :poop:

I'd love to try out a JL, it seems like they addressed the shortcomings very well.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:55 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 pm

After renting that JKU... I don't think I'd want to daily one... they really kind of drive like :poop:

I'd love to try out a JL, it seems like they addressed the shortcomings very well.
Which JKU did you have ? It really depens on the spec.
I was OK with a 2015 JKU sport
I really LIKED THE WILLYS with 3.73s.
I highly disliked a loaded sahara with a :manuel: it drove terribly...
I really was :disgust: 'ed at the base sport model JKU
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Mine was a four door Sport auto - it had power things and stuff, not totally poverty spec but close. It was fun because it looked cool and you can bomb over whatever... but otherwise:
Brakes: :poop:
Sound: :poop:
Handling: :poop:
I actually thought power was OK. It's sort of too bad, I've always loved them but they drive very poorly compared to, well, anything. I mean, they're an off road brick, it's to be expected.

I think a JL would be a much better compromise.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:15 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Mine was a four door Sport auto - it had power things and stuff, not totally poverty spec but close. It was fun because it looked cool and you can bomb over whatever... but otherwise:
Brakes: :poop:
Sound: :poop:
Handling: :poop:
I actually thought power was OK. It's sort of too bad, I've always loved them but they drive very poorly compared to, well, anything. I mean, they're an off road brick, it's to be expected.

I think a JL would be a much better compromise.
Yep... all :dat: the JLU fixes the trans, brakes, also is a bit quiter from the engine :disgust: noise, until you hear that stupid ass AC fan in the summer months.
Everything else is still pretty much the same... Solid axles FTW
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:12 pm I'm gonna take it home tonight and see what my thoughts are on jumping into a cold :jeep: in the morning.

Waiting for a final trade number too.
Does everyone get the "take home tonight" treatment or is that a :dillerman: perk? That's awesome though, you'd get to check out a lot of things without being pressured into buying.

Who is providing you with a trade #? Can't you do it yourself ? :hubba:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:12 pm I'm gonna take it home tonight and see what my thoughts are on jumping into a cold :jeep: in the morning.

Does everyone get the "take home tonight" treatment or is that a :dillerman: perk? That's awesome though, you'd get to check out a lot of things without being pressured into buying.

I've never been offered anything like that, but never asked either. Maybe I should?
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:16 pm
max225 wrote:

I've never been offered anything like that, but never asked either. Maybe I should?
What monthly payment works for you? When can you come in for a test drive.
Last edited by max225 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:16 pm
max225 wrote:

[user not found] got to take home an $80k Ferrari sedan. I know Lincoln does this. I think if you’re serious they’ll let you do it. Can’t hurt to ask.
Johnny_P

Dat igloo cooler gonna be frosty. Interested to hear what you think of it.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:24 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:14 pm

Not something anyone ever asks for, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if the customer's local.

I'm 3 miles away, NBD.
:waiting:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

In case people wanna swap bumpers and fenders to more hardcore offroad moab aftermarket fenders
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:45 pm I mean, it’s sitting in the driveway right now.

I didn’t buy it. Yet.
:excited:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Eh. Hi everybody. I am afraid to post because so many pages unread before dis, but Rudy telling me is ok.
I just got a 2018 Wrangler 2 door JL Sport S (technically a Sport w/ 23S package). I got the automatic w/ 6-cylinder. It's my first Jeep (just upgraded from a 2015 Civic coupe) so I'm interested in the Jeep World...
I was wondering if I could have advice for aftermarket stuff and general "Jeep know-how", mostly I want to get some nice LEDs before I sink into the modding hole.

I just moved from Florida so this will be my first time with a 4WD in the winter.

Oh and I got automatic because i don't want to deal with NoVa traffic with a manual. Though I learned how to drive stick shift on a '73 Mustang and '73 Super Vee
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 pm

In case people wanna swap bumpers and fenders to more hardcore offroad moab aftermarket fenders
The JK bumpers and stuff don't exactly fit anyway.. the vendors are releasing all the JL versions now. Tons were at SEMA and some awesome suspension kits too.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SaxyJeep wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:09 pm Eh. Hi everybody. I am afraid to post because so many pages unread before dis, but Rudy telling me is ok.
I just got a 2018 Wrangler 2 door JL Sport S (technically a Sport w/ 23S package). I got the automatic w/ 6-cylinder. It's my first Jeep (just upgraded from a 2015 Civic coupe) so I'm interested in the Jeep World...
I was wondering if I could have advice for aftermarket stuff and general "Jeep know-how", mostly I want to get some nice LEDs before I sink into the modding hole.

I just moved from Florida so this will be my first time with a 4WD in the winter.

Oh and I got automatic because i don't want to deal with NoVa traffic with a manual. Though I learned how to drive stick shift on a '73 Mustang and '73 Super Vee
oh you don't drive a manual? you might as well kill yourself then.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.