OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Which that last part makes the office dynamic :lolol: The NYC IHS Markit office is all financial analysis bros. Suits, ties, etc. The office is pretty dead except for client meetings and the occasional dude working on a presentation. Then my company has a corner of the floor to themselves and it's full tech bro, t shirt and jeans, pingpong table instead of a conference table (tho we have access to baller conference rooms), quite a dynamic. I don't think there's a single person older than 50 in the org. All quite :mindblown: to me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Enjoy the change of pace, dplac!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:47 am Which that last part makes the office dynamic :lolol: The NYC IHS Markit office is all financial analysis bros. Suits, ties, etc. The office is pretty dead except for client meetings and the occasional dude working on a presentation. Then my company has a corner of the floor to themselves and it's full tech bro, t shirt and jeans, pingpong table instead of a conference table (tho we have access to baller conference rooms), quite a dynamic. I don't think there's a single person older than 50 in the org. All quite :mindblown: to me.
I work for a federal credit union and at our HQ it was legit set up like a tech company. You had the bros in suits that worked in accounting/financial/etc. but we also had a shit to of computer bros. Free coffee/snacks on every floor and then one floor had a game room with VR, PS4 pro's, Pacman machine, fooseball/table tennis, etc.

It was 5/7
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:36 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:17 am

Nice man! Cool that you’ll get to go back regularly and enjoy it more.

How do you like the job so far?
So far, one week in, and I think I'll like the job a lot. It's the polar opposite of my corp experience, where things moved at a glacial pace and politics were more important than doing actual work.

I told my new boss that I learn best by doing, so it's just been trial by fire...here's what you need to do, here's who you need to talk to, ask a lot of questions, and GO. Overwhelming at times, but I actually like that kind of environment. I think I learned more in the last week than I did in the years at FCA. And fortunately, digital and physical product management is remarkably similar at it's core, there's just new terminology and processes to learn. I'll be a certified agile scrum master by the end of the year, which is something I've seen constantly in job reqs. But it's not so different from how physical products are developed in my mind, so it'll be an easy win for me on my resume.

My boss is my age, been with the company since it was 10 dudes renting space in a WeWork 7 years ago, and he and I work very similarly. The company is owned by the massive IHS Markit, but has managed to stay impressively independent, my boss claims the CEO insisted on that as part of the acquisition. That's been good so far, we'll see how it goes tho. I'm optimistic that this was the right move for me.
:fuckyeah:
Really happy for you, :mahman:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:24 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:36 am
So far, one week in, and I think I'll like the job a lot. It's the polar opposite of my corp experience, where things moved at a glacial pace and politics were more important than doing actual work.

I told my new boss that I learn best by doing, so it's just been trial by fire...here's what you need to do, here's who you need to talk to, ask a lot of questions, and GO. Overwhelming at times, but I actually like that kind of environment. I think I learned more in the last week than I did in the years at FCA. And fortunately, digital and physical product management is remarkably similar at it's core, there's just new terminology and processes to learn. I'll be a certified agile scrum master by the end of the year, which is something I've seen constantly in job reqs. But it's not so different from how physical products are developed in my mind, so it'll be an easy win for me on my resume.

My boss is my age, been with the company since it was 10 dudes renting space in a WeWork 7 years ago, and he and I work very similarly. The company is owned by the massive IHS Markit, but has managed to stay impressively independent, my boss claims the CEO insisted on that as part of the acquisition. That's been good so far, we'll see how it goes tho. I'm optimistic that this was the right move for me.
:fuckyeah:
Really happy for you, :mahman:
Thanks! Really hoping this one works out for a while.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:47 am Which that last part makes the office dynamic :lolol: The NYC IHS Markit office is all financial analysis bros. Suits, ties, etc. The office is pretty dead except for client meetings and the occasional dude working on a presentation. Then my company has a corner of the floor to themselves and it's full tech bro, t shirt and jeans, pingpong table instead of a conference table (tho we have access to baller conference rooms), quite a dynamic. I don't think there's a single person older than 50 in the org. All quite :mindblown: to me.
I work for a federal credit union and at our HQ it was legit set up like a tech company. You had the bros in suits that worked in accounting/financial/etc. but we also had a shit to of computer bros. Free coffee/snacks on every floor and then one floor had a game room with VR, PS4 pro's, Pacman machine, fooseball/table tennis, etc.

It was 5/7
Yea, companies chase the techbro life because workers claim to want it, and in theory people should spend more time at the office working.

But it can also be used as a measure of dedication and work effort. GM converted a floor of the RenCen to be like this, and execs would comment on who "needed more work" if people were playing ping pong or whatever. It was a sick trap.

I can say that I actually appreciated going into the office last week. On an ideal world, I'd go in ~1x a week, but I'll settle for a week a quarter.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:14 pm Enjoy the change of pace, dplac!
Thanks dude! It's surely quickened, but that's ok.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:34 am Some of you have already seen on social media, but here’s the wedding update.

My sisters absolutely killed setting up and decorating for it. We held the ceremony a few houses down in the backyard of a family from my parents’ church and the bishop from my parents’ church was able to perform the ceremony for us. It was short and sweet, and he had some great stuff to say. Michelle looked incredible in the dress she found. Mom was feeling well enough for us to push her over in a wheelchair; if she hadn’t been we would have just set up in our living room or something for her. After the ceremony we went back to my parents’ place and just had music playing and food (pizza, salad, some fruit trays) and everyone got to just hang out and talk. Our families hadn’t interacted much before this so it was a nice setting for them to get to know each other more. Mom was hurting a bit after the ceremony, but still wanted to be with everyone, so we just set up some pillows on the couch for her to lay down and be comfortable on. Michelle and her dad danced to Elton John’s Your Song. I’d picked out Conor Oberst’s You Are Your Mother’s Child for my mom and I, not knowing if she’d be able to stand and dance or not. Since she couldn’t, I just sat and held her hands while the song played and we shared some tears. Michelle and I danced to Tyler Childer’s Lady May after that.

All in all it was a really special, intimate night that I’ll never forget.

I saw it all on insta!! Super glad this event went out great for you. I will have to say, the picture with your mom kinda reminds me of seeing my grandmother laying back in the hospital in 2013, and sadly passed away a few days after too.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Oh man. I just had a bucket of chicken and it was amazing. Y'all who refuse to eat anything that isn't from an independent chef are missing out.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Thanks everyone. It was a really great night. So glad I got to share it with her.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:28 pm Oh man. I just had a bucket of chicken and it was amazing. Y'all who refuse to eat anything that isn't from an independent chef are missing out.
Man I would destroy a bucket of KFC right now. Their little bowls are good too.

I’ve been wanting to try the new chicken sandwich taco thing from Taco Bell… that may finally happen this week.
troyguitar

In hindsight I would generally advise people who are under 150 lbs not to eat 10 pieces of fried chicken in one sitting, plus biscuits and booze and mashed potatoes and fries.

It was glorious :doe:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:28 pm Oh man. I just had a bucket of chicken and it was amazing. Y'all who refuse to eat anything that isn't from an independent chef are missing out.
I do like Popeyes every now and then, but there's a local place here that makes :mindblown: broasted chicken that blows any fried away, IMO.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:22 pm In hindsight I would generally advise people who are under 150 lbs not to eat 10 pieces of fried chicken in one sitting, plus biscuits and booze and mashed potatoes and fries.

:jelly:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:22 pm In hindsight I would generally advise people who are under 150 lbs not to eat 10 pieces of fried chicken in one sitting, plus biscuits and booze and mashed potatoes and fries.

That would be physically impossible for me to do.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Booked flights to CA Nov 16-23 for my brother's birthday and for RADwood. Was gonna book a 8 series vert but sixt slaps a 1200mi limit on that big bish. What is this 2005? :disgust:
troyguitar

wap wrote:

That's probably a good thing. Eating like a golden retriever is :fullretard:
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:31 pm Booked flights to CA Nov 16-23 for my brother's birthday and for RADwood. Was gonna book a 8 series vert but sixt slaps a 1200mi limit on that big bish. What is this 2005? :disgust:
Where do they do RADwood out here? Willow Springs? If your bro is a car guy at all you should tell him to do a track day out there. Pretty close to EAFB. I took my old MKVI out there a few times.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:32 pm
wap wrote:
That's probably a good thing. Eating like a golden retriever is :fullretard:
I, mean, seriously, how is that even possible for people our size?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:37 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:31 pm Booked flights to CA Nov 16-23 for my brother's birthday and for RADwood. Was gonna book a 8 series vert but sixt slaps a 1200mi limit on that big bish. What is this 2005? :disgust:
Where do they do RADwood out here? Willow Springs? If your bro is a car guy at all you should tell him to do a track day out there. Pretty close to EAFB. I took my old MKVI out there a few times.
The location hasn't been chosen yet. My brother likes cars, but not enough to do any performance driving.
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:32 pm That's probably a good thing. Eating like a golden retriever is :fullretard:
My body really wants me to be a fatass. I'm always hungry and fighting my nature most of the time, but a few times a year I get sick of the starving and totally pig out. Usually Thanksgiving plus a couple of random days with pizza or fried chicken.

I could easily eat 4000 calories a day and be 300+ lbs.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:25 pm
wap wrote:
My body really wants me to be a fatass. I'm always hungry and fighting my nature most of the time, but a few times a year I get sick of the starving and totally pig out. Usually Thanksgiving plus a couple of random days with pizza or fried chicken.

:mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:25 pm
wap wrote:

:impressive:

The KFC by me was out of chicken for the week before we left for NYC. I've been craving it ever since.

Meijer makes surprisingly great fried chicken :doe: might need to hit that up this week :fatty:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:32 pm

It was 5/7
Our office has one of these and in three years at this company, I've never seen someone playing any of it.

That said, our office environment is pretty techbro-y with casual clothes, laid back vibe, etc. It is nice. It's funny how we started going back twice a week and that came to a quick halt. :iono: I miss it and I don't miss it.

1X/week with everyone there together is kind of the best way, like maybe Wednesdays only or something.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:25 pm My body really wants me to be a fatass. I'm always hungry and fighting my nature most of the time, but a few times a year I get sick of the starving and totally pig out. Usually Thanksgiving plus a couple of random days with pizza or fried chicken.

:impressive:

The KFC by me was out of chicken for the week before we left for NYC. I've been craving it ever since.

Meijer makes surprisingly great fried chicken :doe: might need to hit that up this week :fatty:
Before COVID there used to be spicy fried chicken at Walmart for like $6-7 for 8 pieces and it was great. Now anywhere else is like double that or more.