Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Should be interesting...

Man so many of us still doing :plac: moves even in this crazy market.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Drove this:
https://www.motorcitymini.com/certified ... 34cb7f.htm

Absolutely loved it. Feels sharp and go-karty like a smaller MINI, the :manuel: shifts REALLY smooth with a nice easy to modulate clutch, probably one of the best modern :manuel: s I've driven. The interior size is fantastic...tons of headroom and I can sit behind myself which is :mindblown: for the size The HK audio is awesome, the NAVI system is crazy snappy/fast, and the HUD is a nice convenience. It looks brand new inside, there's no scuffs or marks anywhere. It has 4 brand new tires, a new battery, and a few other things (air filters, wiper blades, other BS). CPO, so it has a warranty through 2023. Overall, it's the unique/special thing I'm looking for. I would have bought it on the spot if it wasn't for the price. The car's been on the lot for 2.5 months, I told him get it into the high $20k range and I'll pay cash tonight. He said that's not how MINI works, and I told him to give me a call if he wants a guaranteed sale at the end of the month tomorrow. "The market is hot, I know what I have, we have $3k in it on tires, battery, blah blah". Bummer, but whatever. We'll see if they want to move it or not.

Wife doesn't feel well and doesn't want to go to the Subaru dealer now. But feels well enough to make dinner plans with friends. Whatever, at least I got to drive the Countryman I guess. Going to try to hit the Subi dealer tomorrow, but that's looking doubtful since the wife hates car shopping. :rolleyes: The saga continues.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:34 pm Drove this:

Absolutely loved it. Feels sharp and go-karty like a smaller MINI, the :manuel: shifts REALLY smooth with a nice easy to modulate clutch, probably one of the best modern :manuel: s I've driven. The interior size is fantastic...tons of headroom and I can sit behind myself which is :mindblown: for the size The HK audio is awesome, the NAVI system is crazy snappy/fast, and the HUD is a nice convenience. It looks brand new inside, there's no scuffs or marks anywhere. It has 4 brand new tires, a new battery, and a few other things (air filters, wiper blades, other BS). CPO, so it has a warranty through 2023. Overall, it's the unique/special thing I'm looking for. I would have bought it on the spot if it wasn't for the price. The car's been on the lot for 2.5 months, I told him get it into the high $20k range and I'll pay cash tonight. He said that's not how MINI works, and I told him to give me a call if he wants a guaranteed sale at the end of the month tomorrow. "The market is hot, I know what I have, we have $3k in it on tires, battery, blah blah". Bummer, but whatever. We'll see if they want to move it or not.

Wife doesn't feel well and doesn't want to go to the Subaru dealer now. But feels well enough to make dinner plans with friends. Whatever, at least I got to drive the Countryman I guess. Going to try to hit the Subi dealer tomorrow, but that's looking doubtful since the wife hates car shopping. :rolleyes: The saga continues.
Ah interesting. Yep that rebadged x1 is really :neat: I found the size to be quite perfect for 4 people.
I don’t understand the hate for the mini manuals … they seem to be some of the best in the biz IMO
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:58 am
:lolol:
MINI :dillerman: appt this afternoon, then the Subaru dealer has a 21 Crosstranny with 2.5 and a 21 outback with 2.5. We'll check those out and see how it goes.

Then my dad has a friend visiting that has a 2017 Clubman S FWD stick. Incredibly, the same car in Wisconsin. He told me to drive it as much as I want to test. :notbad:

Took it for a spin last night, it's super :nice: I love the car and drive, just :notsure: on the ground clearance in the snow. Driving the Countryman to compare will be good.
This is what you need.

:notsure: there's zero suspension travel.

I'd love slightly more aggressive tires on a Countryman :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

What were her thoughts on the MINI?

I think a :manuel: CuntMan or ChubMan is waaay better than an Outback or Crosstrek, so if she doesn't want to drive 'em, just find one of the MINIs and do you. Her loss, you tried to accommodate her desires.

How do you feel about the comparison of Clubman vs. Cuntryman?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:13 pm

Ah interesting. Yep that rebadged x1 is really :neat: I found the size to be quite perfect for 4 people.
I don’t understand the hate for the mini manuals … they seem to be some of the best in the biz IMO
The X1 really is an ideal 4 person car based off the MINI. Such great size and packaging, it's small but doesn't feel cramped.

The manual is phenomenal. I get what zil says about adding a weighted shift knob, but damn is it a pleasure to drive. I really missed rowing my own gears.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:21 pm

I think a :manuel: CuntMan or ChubMan is waaay better than an Outback or Crosstrek, so if she doesn't want to drive 'em, just find one of the MINIs and do you. Her loss, you tried to accommodate her desires.

She didn't feel well, so she just said "whatever it's fine". Which is code for, I'm going to nit pick the shit out of this thing and hate it in a few months. She did tell me to get what I like, which I know is just a trap. As long as I like it and am the primary driver, it would be ok.

I like the extra headroom in the countryman a lot. It's also easier to get in and out of, and the extra inch or so of ground clearance could come in handy when feet of snow falls. Yet somehow, it still feels like a go kart despite being a crossover thing. It's really unique, I can't image a more engaging crossover to drive.

They had one with a roof top tent on it in the showroom, so it got bonus points from the wife when she realized we could put our RTT on it and take it camping. It'll do everything we want and still be fun to drive and unique.

BUT

It'll tank in value in short order. It was $40k new in 2018 (still had the window sticker). 25% depreciation in 3 years on a manual mini crossover is insanely over priced IMO. I know that's the market now, but I could get a BRAND NEW Outback for the same price. A brand new 2.5 Crosstranny is $28k and would be about the same size. Biggest issue with those is I just don't want them, but they'd be way smarter moves.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:35 pm

She didn't feel well, so she just said "whatever it's fine". Which is code for, I'm going to nit pick the shit out of this thing and hate it in a few months. She did tell me to get what I like, which I know is just a trap. As long as I like it and am the primary driver, it would be ok.

I like the extra headroom in the countryman a lot. It's also easier to get in and out of, and the extra inch or so of ground clearance could come in handy when feet of snow falls. Yet somehow, it still feels like a go kart despite being a crossover thing. It's really unique, I can't image a more engaging crossover to drive.

They had one with a roof top tent on it in the showroom, so it got bonus points from the wife when she realized we could put our RTT on it and take it camping. It'll do everything we want and still be fun to drive and unique.

BUT

It'll tank in value in short order. It was $40k new in 2018 (still had the window sticker). 25% depreciation in 3 years on a manual mini crossover is insanely over priced IMO. I know that's the market now, but I could get a BRAND NEW Outback for the same price. A brand new 2.5 Crosstranny is $28k and would be about the same size. Biggest issue with those is I just don't want them, but they'd be way smarter moves.
Sometimes you just need to :burneverything: for the sake of your sanity.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I think you would feel the same about a Subaru as you do about the CT after driving the Mini.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Only a little more than double the miles, but half the price....

https://www.motorcitymini.com/used/MINI ... a323e0.htm

Did they not show you this one or is it too used?
max225

Irish wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:01 pm Only a little more than double the miles, but half the price....

https://www.motorcitymini.com/used/MINI ... a323e0.htm

Did they not show you this one or is it too used?
That’s the wrong gen…. The one he drove is a completely different vehicle
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:35 pm

BUT

Can you test out a wrx please? It is a bit more sporty and fun imo. And since she doesn’t gaf about the vehicle you could treat yourself to a bucket list car
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:05 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:44 pm
Can you test out a wrx please? It is a bit more sporty and fun imo. And since she doesn’t gaf about the vehicle you could treat yourself to a bucket list car
I think he'd be in for a real shock for insurance rates on a WRX.

I'm meh on the WRX, but I love the STI.
WRX is the most expensive car I can find to insure in Michigan. The last quote I got was when I was 27 :doe: it might be better at 36.

But the problem becomes my age and what I want out of a car. I personally really want something that can take 4 people comfortably. I'm sure a WRX is fine, but we have aging parents and friends, them dropping in and pulling up out of a sedan is :notsure: But selfishly, being a giant it's nice to not drop into a vehicle.

Also, I haven't had a fun car in years. After driving just Jeeps and trucks, the Countryman feels like a rally car. It has a surprising loud and sporty engine note, the suspension is quite firm and the steering is crazy direct and perfectly weighted. I expected it to be WAY softer and wollowyer than it was.

Then there's the intangibles. The Countryman feels like a premium euro car, like it was carved from a solid stone. The interior quality is way better than I expected from older MINIs, very BMW (duh) and I like the quirkiness everywhere. The seats are incredibly comfortable and supportive, again very euro.

Then features like the dual pane sunroof also roped in :tits: as did the HK audio that sounds :megusta:

I know it's a lame car. It's worth being made fun of to get the "MINI SUV", but I'm not sure everyone that actually drives one would agree. It's really quite unexpected, surprisingly fun. It's the only car that really checks every box including fun. I will maintain that if Subaru built a WRX Crosstrek, I'd probably be in a pickle, but they don't and I think I'm past the WRX.

Biggest issue is the price. As expected, :dillerman: offered to knock $1k off, taking it to just under $30k. Helps, but it's still a ton for that thing. Especially because in a year it'll be worth $20k tops. I'm not kidding myself that it'll be a forever car, but I also can't think of something else that checks every box. If I don't do this, I'd probably just full cuck on a Crosstrek or something. Might be the better move, I just don't want it. The question is, have I really given up on cars like I hoped?
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:06 pm

The :manuel: is good, don't get me wrong, it's just the shifter feel I hate. Knob changes it all. I love shifting the wife's F56 with the Raceseng knob I added.

Also, auto rev match is really nice, and it works perfectly every time.

I'm glad you loved it dude. Fuck it. Restore your sanity. Do something for YOU.
The rev match was like telepathy, and the hill hold was impressive not grabby or intrusive. It's probably peak :manuel:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Crosstrek will suck compared to that. Outback is a lazy couch.

WRX might be worth a look but will not feel as premium. Insurance was high on mine but I’d do it over again, I loved that car so much.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:04 am Crosstrek will suck compared to that. Outback is a lazy couch.

WRX might be worth a look but will not feel as premium. Insurance was high on mine but I’d do it over again, I loved that car so much.
Did you take 4 people in it much?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:36 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:04 am Crosstrek will suck compared to that. Outback is a lazy couch.

Did you take 4 people in it much?
I've ridden in the back of WRX/STI quite a few times. I'm not as large as you but I'm at least 6'1" and it is legit comfy, the new gen is a pretty large sedan, for better or worse. I would venture to say it has more room than my F30. It's also not really a low car, but I hear you on the aging parents thing. My dad is all shaky and :wap: now, :sad: I think if I needed to loan him one of my cars, the Jeep would be the only one he could really drive.

To me, the Clubman really feels like the move here, it is 40% less money. They will both depreciate rapidly, like 10-20+%/year. 20% of $30K is a lot more.

Reality is the WRX will be best from a depreciation standpoint, but it seems like the MINI (either) is a better car for you guys and being cheaper up front is nice considering the quitting your job possibilities and whatnot.
ChrisoftheNorth

After driving the Clubman, I really do prefer the countryman for size. It's not really bigger, just taller and I really appreciate that as I and my friends and family age. Also makes it more suitable for handling feet of snow.

But the smartest move is the Clubman. They dropped the price on it today to 17,500. I don't see how it can lose. Wife thinks the Clubman is dumb because we're going to want the size of the countryman anyway making the Clubman a compromise. But I could always sell it and buy something else later and lose minimal, whereas the Countryman will tank in short order.

For the hell of it, I'm looking into some financing options. If I can get a cheap enough interest rate, there's a :plac: game of limiting cash outlay as long as it stays above water. Then it's easy to pay off if it ends up being a long term winner.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

If a WRX is really on the list I’d pop for this instead. That’s a pre-pandemic price, really. Kinda odd.

https://www.tomwoodsubaru.com/used/Suba ... 6daa36.htm
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:51 am If a WRX is really on the list I’d pop for this instead. That’s a pre-pandemic price, really. Kinda odd.

:megusta:

Needs more wing :doe:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Juke Nisbro
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:59 am
coogles wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:51 am If a WRX is really on the list I’d pop for this instead. That’s a pre-pandemic price, really. Kinda odd.

:megusta:

Needs more wing :doe:
:notwrong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:47 am After driving the Clubman, I really do prefer the countryman for size. It's not really bigger, just taller and I really appreciate that as I and my friends and family age. Also makes it more suitable for handling feet of snow.

But the smartest move is the Clubman. They dropped the price on it today to 17,500. I don't see how it can lose. Wife thinks the Clubman is dumb because we're going to want the size of the countryman anyway making the Clubman a compromise. But I could always sell it and buy something else later and lose minimal, whereas the Countryman will tank in short order.

For the hell of it, I'm looking into some financing options. If I can get a cheap enough interest rate, there's a :plac: game of limiting cash outlay as long as it stays above water. Then it's easy to pay off if it ends up being a long term winner.
I feel like y'all getting some large :truk: is inevitable :doe: , so having something slightly sportier seems cool to me. :iono: I do understand the added practicality of CUV height given your area and usage, there's a reason why people love CUVs I guess. It's just a lot more money for a couple inches of height.

I feel like either one is a solid bet at the end of the day. :tits: being satisfied is certainly worth something, no one wants to :dealwithit: :sass:
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:47 am After driving the Clubman, I really do prefer the countryman for size. It's not really bigger, just taller and I really appreciate that as I and my friends and family age. Also makes it more suitable for handling feet of snow.

Oh damn… I mean unfortunately it’s a compromise to a compromise… but that price is killer
Desertbreh

:bs:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.