Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Also fun fact, with absolutely zero breaks other than red lights and stop signs I spent 15 minutes at a complete stop on a 3 hr ride while on a route with relatively few stops. 8% of the time just standing there :waiting:

Those bits are registered as stops in Strava so they don't count toward the average speed. Real average speed would apparently be more like 15 mph.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:06 pm

Stone cold. Some of those things move.
I’ll probably get one pretty soon. For ice cream runs with the munchkin.
Pulling a trailer with 50 lbs of twins in it without an e-bike fucking blows.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:37 pm Also fun fact, with absolutely zero breaks other than red lights and stop signs I spent 15 minutes at a complete stop on a 3 hr ride while on a route with relatively few stops. 8% of the time just standing there :waiting:

Those bits are registered as stops in Strava so they don't count toward the average speed. Real average speed would apparently be more like 15 mph.
Even if they register as stop and the timer pauses, you still spend time slowing down and speeding up again while that timer is moving. It helps, but it's nowhere near apples/apples to a ride without needing to stop.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:51 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:37 pm Also fun fact, with absolutely zero breaks other than red lights and stop signs I spent 15 minutes at a complete stop on a 3 hr ride while on a route with relatively few stops. 8% of the time just standing there :waiting:

Even if they register as stop and the timer pauses, you still spend time slowing down and speeding up again while that timer is moving. It helps, but it's nowhere near apples/apples to a ride without needing to stop.
:dat:

Also if you have the live speedo on, you'll see that it takes it probably 10 full seconds to registered you've stopped. Even with automatic pauses activated, stops are the number one impact to my average speed, more than elevation changes, more than which bike I'm on, etc.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:00 pm Got the 20mm shorter stem on and the bike is way more comfortable.

After a short hard ride Monday, a longer recovery ride Tuesday, a rest day Wednesday with extra carb loading in the evening, a great night's sleep, and a super hard effort on a day with the best weather here I have ever seen plus the fewest stops on a route I have seen, I felt great on the bike and swore it was my best ride ever today...

But it was fucking 17 miles per hour. Again. Zero improvement no matter what.

Side note: 48 oz of water is nowhere near enough for 3 hours in 88F heat. [user not found] is not fucking human for being able to do 4+ hours in 90+ at 300+ watts with the same amount of water. That's not possible. My whole body was locking up and cramping as soon as I stopped at home.
:iono:

I ran with 48 oz of water in 95 degrees last night, averaged 21+, did a lot of pulling on the front of the group, and still had half of a bottle left at the end of a 42 mile ride. That being said, I work outside in the 4-5 days a week so I'm conditioned to the heat; everyone else on that ride cracked last night, whereas I was able to keep attacking.

I just took a look at your last ride - something you've failed to mention is that you had several PRs on that ride, which is proof you're getting faster.
"PR's" from a sample size of two. The first time I had a 15 mph headwind and was taking my time exploring a new area. This time I had a 5 mph tailwind and had my head down pedaling hard constantly. It's faster, sure, but not because I got any better.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:13 pm

I wrote a couple of posts about being annoyed by some douchenozzle piloting his E-bike around our HOA complex, but the truth is he was having a great time.
You can rent them in the public bike share docks we have all over the city. They’re fun as hell.
If anyone comes out to SD, I recommend heading over to Coronado Island and renting one to cruise around the island on for the afternoon. 5/7.
troyguitar

I still don't really understand why I'm having such a hard time, but according to Strava this past week is the hardest week of riding I have ever done - using their heart rate based relative effort metric the week was a 616 total intensity. To hit 114.4 miles in 7 hours 3 minutes = 16.2 mph at around 162 bpm.

A possible explanation is that, also according to Strava, the 7 weeks off in January-February reset my fitness to near zero. The 3ish hours per week I had been doing from April through July was only enough to kind of maintain that weakened state. If there's anything to their metrics, then I need to keep up these 5+ hour weeks for another ~month to get back up to where I was last summer/fall - a "Fitness" measurement in the 60s.

Have you guys looked at these things for your own riding?
troyguitar

You're a monster with infinite strength and no need for water or rest :doe: and can ride further, faster, and longer in a day than I can in a week. Seems like half of your hours ought to be a reasonable goal?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Couch to Crit dude was doing the “low volume” plan on TrainerRoad at ~3.5 hours per week and made some nice gains. If Zach wants to continue to improve then yeah, he needs that much time in the saddle. When I first got the Peloton I was making improvements with 60 minutes per week on the bike. All depends on where you’re starting from.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Man I want a bike. Any entry level reqs around $500 or less? Not looking for anything other than a decent quality build
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:Man I want a bike. Any entry level reqs around $500 or less? Not looking for anything other than a decent quality build

Something like that is great for a road bike. Giant Defy, Trek Domane, Cannondale Synapse, etc. "endurance" or "gravel" bikes used from the last 5-10ish years are all pretty good.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:42 pm
razr390 wrote:Man I want a bike. Any entry level reqs around $500 or less? Not looking for anything other than a decent quality build

Something like that is great for a road bike. Giant Defy, Trek Domane, Cannondale Synapse, etc. "endurance" or "gravel" bikes used from the last 5-10ish years are all pretty good.
Thanks! Although here with how San Antonio is, they have a lot more bike trails versus road riding (people drive like assholes and it’s pretty much highways all the time here) so I’m thinking of a starter mountain bike. I’m not lookin to Tour De France just lookin to cover more ground during my cardio than just walking/running.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:

Thanks! Although here with how San Antonio is, they have a lot more bike trails versus road riding (people drive like assholes and it’s pretty much highways all the time here) so I’m thinking of a starter mountain bike. I’m not lookin to Tour De France just lookin to cover more ground during my cardio than just walking/running.
:word:

That makes sense. Are the trails like actual MTB trails with sweet jumps or just run/walk/bike paths? It's a lot easier to get a decent bike without suspension at those prices.

Something like Trek FX series, Giant Escape, and similar "hybrid" or "fitness" bikes would be where I would look if it's just paths vs shredding some rad gnar. That's actually what I wish I had bought 2 years ago, a simple Trek FX disc brake model was ~$700 new at the time.

Anything with 8+ gears in the back and 1 or 2 in the front is likely to be a good start.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:06 pm

Stone cold. Some of those things move.
I’ll probably get one pretty soon. For ice cream runs with the munchkin.
Did philly get those lime moped like scooters yet? I know DC and NY does and eager to try one out, should be fun
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:54 pm

When I got my Trek 3700? I think, I paid roughly 400 bucks, but that was probably 2015-16
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:33 pm
razr390 wrote:
:word:

That makes sense. Are the trails like actual MTB trails with sweet jumps or just run/walk/bike paths? It's a lot easier to get a decent bike without suspension at those prices.

Something like Trek FX series, Giant Escape, and similar "hybrid" or "fitness" bikes would be where I would look if it's just paths vs shredding some rad gnar. That's actually what I wish I had bought 2 years ago, a simple Trek FX disc brake model was ~$700 new at the time.

Anything with 8+ gears in the back and 1 or 2 in the front is likely to be a good start.
I would say there good amount of both, but my goal is to stick to the paved run/walk/hike trails with some minor soft roasting on certain trails
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Finished up the Ripmo today. Maiden voyage is tomorrow.

Ibis Ripmo V2 in Star Destroyer Gray, size L
Fox 36 Performance Elite, 160mm, MY2022
Fox X2 Factory rear shock (I have a DPX2 as a backup)
Bontrager Line Elite 29” wheelset with 108pt hubs. Maxxis DHF 2.5 front and Dissector 2.4 rear
Shimano XT 8100 12 speed drivetrain
Shimano SLX 7120 4 piston brakes, 180mm rotors
Shimano Deore 6100 crankset
PNW Components 200mm Loam dropper, grips, bar and stem
WTB Silverado saddle
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:38 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:33 pm :word:

I would say there good amount of both, but my goal is to stick to the paved run/walk/hike trails with some minor soft roasting on certain trails
I agree with Troy. I would probably go with a road bike like his first recommendations, they are just better/faster/more fun/look cooler in my opinion, but nothing wrong with his latter recommendations either. Just depends what you want.

I would probably skip mountain bikes with suspension for the type of riding you’re talking about. They’re more expensive, heavy, and slow on paved surfaces, worth it if you’re hitting real trails but not necessary on pavement/gravel.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:15 pm Image

Finished up the Ripmo today. Maiden voyage is tomorrow.

Ibis Ripmo V2 in Star Destroyer Gray, size L
Fox 36 Performance Elite, 160mm, MY2022
Fox X2 Factory rear shock (I have a DPX2 as a backup)
Bontrager Line Elite 29” wheelset with 108pt hubs. Maxxis DHF 2.5 front and Dissector 2.4 rear
Shimano XT 8100 12 speed drivetrain
Shimano SLX 7120 4 piston brakes, 180mm rotors
Shimano Deore 6100 crankset
PNW Components 200mm Loam dropper, grips, bar and stem
WTB Silverado saddle
Looks great man! Enjoy the ride!
razr390

D Griff wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:17 am
razr390 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:38 pm

I agree with Troy. I would probably go with a road bike like his first recommendations, they are just better/faster/more fun/look cooler in my opinion, but nothing wrong with his latter recommendations either. Just depends what you want.

I would probably skip mountain bikes with suspension for the type of riding you’re talking about. They’re more expensive, heavy, and slow on paved surfaces, worth it if you’re hitting real trails but not necessary on pavement/gravel.
yea I am still :not sure: I may even just get some hybrid bike from target and see how that works for me. Just to see if it’s even worth throwing even more doll hairs into
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:17 am I agree with Troy. I would probably go with a road bike like his first recommendations, they are just better/faster/more fun/look cooler in my opinion, but nothing wrong with his latter recommendations either. Just depends what you want.

yea I am still :not sure: I may even just get some hybrid bike from target and see how that works for me. Just to see if it’s even worth throwing even more doll hairs into
Just hit crangslist/facebook, there should be decent hybrids for ~$200 that could last forever.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:41 am Just hit crangslist/facebook, there should be decent hybrids for ~$200 that could last forever.
This.

Don't waste your money on some new bike from a big box store, you'd just be being :wasteful:

FB marketplace and crangslist is a good idea. Just figure out your bike size and don't get a bike that's too big.
:dat:

It's waaaay easier to make a smaller bike fit you via moving the seat/handlebars than it is to shrink a frame. My first bike was a size too big which is the main reason I ended up on a :plac: cycle.
troyguitar

I don't know why, but I am considering doing this:

https://tourdehendrycounty.com/

Pros: It's cheap-ish at $50 and it's a flat route with no red lights, so at my normal 17 mph it'll take 5 hours to ride the 84 miles.

Cons: It's a 3 hour drive each way, starts before I normally wake up in the morning, and will leave me playing a 4 hour show as soon as I get back home. So the expected outcome is zero sleep, 3 hr drive, 5 hr bike ride, 3 hr drive, hopefully a quick shower, then 4 hr show, then finally sleep.

:fullretard:
troyguitar

I'm a fan of the GP5000TL except for mounting the fuckers. They require a 3rd hand on a 3rd tire lever. I don't bother carrying a spare tube anymore because I would never be able to get the tire back on the rim on the road anyway...

I do want to try the Michelin Power Road TLR next for that reason. Supposedly they're easier to mount amd also more comfortable without being much slower. My contis show basically zero wear so far though so :iono: when I'll try anything else. I lost track of the exact mileage since I've got 2 different sets (25 and 32mm) and each has been on 2 different bikes. 500ish miles on each seat is my best guess, all of them look like new.
troyguitar

And yeah, ebay is the best way to find tarz now. I have had a 25mm GP5000TL (want a spare on hand) on backorder since May with biketiresdirect.
Last edited by troyguitar on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.