OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:07 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:03 am
Ah, ok...there's the difference.

We usually do the same thing when we go out...start with an app, eat it, then decide on more food. That usually results in drinking more, but it's a decent experience.

I can't drink beer anymore, my body just hates it. So I'm forced into cocktails or wine, which jacks the prices drastically. We just go out less now.
I love it... but man, I sort of feel like shit today. I had three beers total, they weren't even crazy ABV or anything, one was 6%, the other two 5%. I was drinking tequila in LV last week in pretty copious amounts and still felt less shitty. I swear they put blow through the HVAC in all the places out there or something though, it's astonishing how everyone functions at the work events all day after drinking and gambling all night.
I also love beer, but my body doesn't. It started when I turned 30 and high ABV IPAs destroyed me. Now, I'm relegated to 2 or 3 light beers then my body feels like garbage. I still drink beer, but it's really only special occasions if I'm at a brewery or something.

:ohwell: I guess that's getting old?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:31 am Interest rates over 6% now. Guess I’m never getting a new house 😔
Meh, it should drive prices down a bit and may actually help you. Then when rates drop eventually, refinance ZFG.
I agree with this logic, hopefully a 10-20% price drop levels the playing field for JP.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:22 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:52 am I think a 17/18/19 year old is FULLY capable of understanding what sort of jobs are out there post graduation, what they pay, and how long it would take to pay off the loans. I mean come on people, most go through CALCULUS at this point... advanced math. Surely they are capable of doing arithmetic that states 100k student debt = requires at least a decade of paying it off with a 50k starting wage.

Not sure who these people are that think taking on enormous debt is a way of life and some sort of passage into the upper class. That makes absolutely no sense.

Taking out that much money and then not paying it off is a CRIME IMO. You're literally stealing from others. There are excruciating circumstances such as a disability, illness, death of family member etc. But other than that, if you take out a loan you PAY IT OFF no matter whether it is for a starbucks late on your credit card or a 200k degree.
You give the human race WAY too much credit. Most 17/18/19 year olds can't connect school to reality, let alone think about real world income and finances. When I was that age, I thought I would be a film major, no idea what income would be, no idea what cost would be. Like Dan, I was told to follow my dreams and go to the school that "felt right" which my parents encouraged me into a state university for lower costs. I could have gone to a private school, but they told me I had to get scholarships or a job to do so (my parents don't do debt), so state school it was. Most parents don't do that, and most people don't really understand debt, so taking out debt for your kids is a simple and easy way to get them out of the house. That's :bs:

Hell, I graduated college without an idea of income. Reality didn't set in until I started getting job offers, which is WAY late in the game if I had already leveraged myself six figures in the hole. I'm not saying debt should be forgiven. Rather, that money should be used to subsidize interest rates super low and fund better real life finance education for high school kids so they're equipped to make better decisions. Debt forgiveness in general is :bs:
Vasily is a hard man from a hard place, and has been in ecnonomic survival mode longer than most. Also, as a bean counter, it angers him when people ignore the business end of the Smith and Wesson Amortization Special. That said, I think 95% of 20 year olds have no idea what take home on a $100K salary is.........if they did they would not take out the stoopid loans they do.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:07 am

I love it... but man, I sort of feel like shit today. I had three beers total, they weren't even crazy ABV or anything, one was 6%, the other two 5%. I was drinking tequila in LV last week in pretty copious amounts and still felt less shitty. I swear they put blow through the HVAC in all the places out there or something though, it's astonishing how everyone functions at the work events all day after drinking and gambling all night.
I also love beer, but my body doesn't. It started when I turned 30 and high ABV IPAs destroyed me. Now, I'm relegated to 2 or 3 light beers then my body feels like garbage. I still drink beer, but it's really only special occasions if I'm at a brewery or something.

:ohwell: I guess that's getting old?
YES
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:22 pm
You give the human race WAY too much credit. Most 17/18/19 year olds can't connect school to reality, let alone think about real world income and finances. When I was that age, I thought I would be a film major, no idea what income would be, no idea what cost would be. Like Dan, I was told to follow my dreams and go to the school that "felt right" which my parents encouraged me into a state university for lower costs. I could have gone to a private school, but they told me I had to get scholarships or a job to do so (my parents don't do debt), so state school it was. Most parents don't do that, and most people don't really understand debt, so taking out debt for your kids is a simple and easy way to get them out of the house. That's :bs:

Hell, I graduated college without an idea of income. Reality didn't set in until I started getting job offers, which is WAY late in the game if I had already leveraged myself six figures in the hole. I'm not saying debt should be forgiven. Rather, that money should be used to subsidize interest rates super low and fund better real life finance education for high school kids so they're equipped to make better decisions. Debt forgiveness in general is :bs:
Vasily is a hard man from a hard place, and has been in ecnonomic survival mode longer than most. Also, as a bean counter, it angers him when people ignore the business end of the Smith and Wesson Amortization Special. That said, I think 95% of 20 year olds have no idea what take home on a $100K salary is.........if they did they would not take out the stoopid loans they do.
Totally, and I get his POV, which isn't wrong, just not realistic.

When I was 20, I didn't even know how much salary I could get with my major. I had hopes (that didn't pan out), but no clear idea of reality. I was completely ill equipped to take on any sort of debt at that time.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:00 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:55 pm

When I was 20, I didn't even know how much salary I could get with my major. I had hopes (that didn't pan out), but no clear idea of reality. I was completely ill equipped to take on any sort of debt at that time.
I pretty much operated under the assumption that if you got a decent degree, you'd automatically get a job that paid $50K, and I thought $50K was a lot of money (my dad made like $40K for most of my 0-18 life and my mom made less and our family was OK so I assumed $50K for one would be dece).

I was wrong about many things. I was also very poor from age 23-26 or so, but I did manage to pay off my loans nonetheless.

I am with Max, I don't think we should forgive willy nilly and pay for college for everyone. High schools just really need to have more general life shit across the board, debt/finances included.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:00 pm

I pretty much operated under the assumption that if you got a decent degree, you'd automatically get a job that paid $50K, and I thought $50K was a lot of money (my dad made like $40K for most of my 0-18 life and my mom made less and our family was OK so I assumed $50K for one would be dece).

I was wrong about many things. I was also very poor from age 23-26 or so, but I did manage to pay off my loans nonetheless.

I am with Max, I don't think we should forgive willy nilly and pay for college for everyone. High schools just really need to have more general life shit across the board, debt/finances included.
Yep, I assumed $50-75k. Then my freshly minted Marketing degree from a nationally ranked Big Ten University business school netted me $35k offers everywhere, reality was tough to swallow. I was poor AF for the first 5 years, especially since I decided to move to SoCal. Really grateful that I didn't have debt, I wouldn't have made it on my own.

Compare that to someone with a degree in South American Iguana Interpretive Dance from a private school and six figures in debt to get there, :yikes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:51 pm

Yep, I assumed $50-75k. Then my freshly minted Marketing degree from a nationally ranked Big Ten University business school netted me $35k offers everywhere, reality was tough to swallow. I was poor AF for the first 5 years, especially since I decided to move to SoCal. Really grateful that I didn't have debt, I wouldn't have made it on my own.

Compare that to someone with a degree in South American Iguana Interpretive Dance from a private school and six figures in debt to get there, :yikes:
Yep, immediately post recession crash $35K was about it... I got multiple offers in that range as well. Funny thing was I was making +/- $1500/week as an audio engineer contractor in Miami and left that to make $35K because I thought I needed a 'real job' after getting a degree. Like I said, I wasn't very smart.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:40 pm

Yep, immediately post recession crash $35K was about it... I got multiple offers in that range as well. Funny thing was I was making +/- $1500/week as an audio engineer contractor in Miami and left that to make $35K because I thought I needed a 'real job' after getting a degree. Like I said, I wasn't very smart.
:dat:

I graduated in 2008, so at least I got my job offer before the whole economy went to shit. The 2009 grads had a much harder time from talking to my friends a year behind me in school. But similar to you both, I had a couple offers in the mid-upper 30s and one at 42. That $42k offer was a shitty corporate accounting gig, though, and I saw next to zero growth potential there. I took the banking gig at $36k instead and that worked out well eventually.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:07 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:05 pm

I graduated in 2008, so at least I got my job offer before the whole economy went to shit. The 2009 grads had a much harder time from talking to my friends a year behind me in school. But similar to you both, I had a couple offers in the mid-upper 30s and one at 42. That $42k offer was a shitty corporate accounting gig, though, and I saw next to zero growth potential there. I took the banking gig at $36k instead and that worked out well eventually.
I graduated in 2008 as well. I did an internship with a refinery and hired directly in. It was a solid starting wage at like 65 but we went through layoffs within a year. Somehow I survived but I kind of wish I hadn't, and had been kicked out of the refinery world early on.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I graduated in 09 and it was pretty dismal. I was lucky to have had a wfh internship that I had continued from 2007, but I think employment was under 50% at graduation. That is probably skewed too since it was a pretty good school. I was making about 35k and it was enough to pay the bills and chuck some into a 401k. Living expenses back then were about $600/mo, 7 roommates in a mouse infested shack. 0/7 would not recommend but for a new grad, was a great way to save money. That internship allowed me to limit borrowing too, which in hindsight was massive. I still had to borrow like 45k.

I had planned on going into academia and was on a phd track until I discovered the world of analytics and data science and ditched it. If i had known about it back in undergrad i would have loved it, bur it was practically nonexistent back then. Turned out to be a pretty good career move.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Happy Father's Day to those of you with :baby: !
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Weekend away was nice. The horse ride was pretty sick. We saw the skeleton (what was left of it) of a grey whale that had washed ashore a few weeks ago. Saw some bald eagles on the beach too. Prior to the ride we drove down to Ilwaco to see Cape Disappointment and hiked down to Deadman’s Cove as well.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:36 am Weekend away was nice. The horse ride was pretty sick. We saw the skeleton (what was left of it) of a grey whale that had washed ashore a few weeks ago. Saw some bald eagles on the beach too. Prior to the ride we drove down to Ilwaco to see Cape Disappointment and hiked down to Deadman’s Cove as well.

:fuckyeah: looks beautiful, man! Have you done horse back riding before? I found it to be rather scary when we tried it a year or two ago :lolol:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:15 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:36 am Weekend away was nice. The horse ride was pretty sick. We saw the skeleton (what was left of it) of a grey whale that had washed ashore a few weeks ago. Saw some bald eagles on the beach too. Prior to the ride we drove down to Ilwaco to see Cape Disappointment and hiked down to Deadman’s Cove as well.

:fuckyeah: looks beautiful, man! Have you done horse back riding before? I found it to be rather scary when we tried it a year or two ago :lolol:
I went once as a kid, and a couple of times in my teens doing Boy Scout stuff, but it’d likely been a full 20 years since the last time. Felt a little weird at first, but other than insisting on being first in our line my horse was generally responsive to my inputs and that helped me feel better.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:18 pm Happy Father's Day to those of you with :baby: !
Thanks bro, it was a pretty fun day! It feels silly to celebrate me, but it was such a happy day for the whole family that I'll look back on it fondly for years to come.

We started out with a breakfast made for a king, Nicole and the kids put it together while I prepped the pool for a family visit in the afternoon. Bacon, potato patties, scrambled eggs, freshly made waffles, berries, Nutella, and maple syrup of course was complimented by fresh coffee and juice.

My little guy had a ball hockey game so we cleaned up and headed to the arena. The boys won 9-8 and the cheering on both sides was a spectacle. Such little tykes, super cute to watch them, and easily a highlight of most Sunday mornings.

My kid is one of the youngest and littlest on the floor, as it ranges from 6-8, and he isn't very competitive out there, but he seems to always win face offs so that's a fun building block of encouragement.

We came across a classic a car show across the street from the arena, the kids liked both C2 and C3 corvettes the most. We aren't sure if the Shelby is original or not, but it's neat to look at!

My parents, brother and his gf/kiddo joined us for an afternoon of food and booze by the pool. Everyone got along 'swimmingly' :iswydt:

Slow start back to reality, I drank too much beer and feel a bit hung over today. All good though!

Hope y'all had a good weekend too. 🍻
SAWCE

Nice Mario! Sounds like an awesome day.
SAWCE

Anyone else get Juneteenth off?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:48 am Nice Mario! Sounds like an awesome day.
Thanks Brandon, appreciate it! I legit loved seeing your horseback riding pics. Great shots, it looks a bit cold doe! I bet it was a ton of fun, we've been on horses for an hour at a time while doing a simple loop on flat terrain. They're fascinating to be around!
wap

That looks like a fantastic time. :like:
wap

Looks like a fun day. And :dat: C2! :jimp:
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:08 am
Thanks Brandon, appreciate it! I legit loved seeing your horseback riding pics. Great shots, it looks a bit cold doe! I bet it was a ton of fun, we've been on horses for an hour at a time while doing a simple loop on flat terrain. They're fascinating to be around!
The temperature was moderate, but it started raining about 20 minutes before we saddled up. I left my rain jacket on the couch before we left for the trip; so I just had to buck up and deal with being a little :moist: while we rode. It wasn’t unpleasant since it was a light rain.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:25 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:15 am

I went once as a kid, and a couple of times in my teens doing Boy Scout stuff, but it’d likely been a full 20 years since the last time. Felt a little weird at first, but other than insisting on being first in our line my horse was generally responsive to my inputs and that helped me feel better.
:notbad: Did you trot or gallop at all? That hurt deez :balls: quite a bit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

@Mario, sounds like an awesome day!

Happy Father's Day and Juneteeth to all.

Weekend here was fun. Friyay night just chilled while :tits: went out with some friends. Saturday walked the :doge: , went to an Orangetheory class with Allison as she had a free bring a friend pass and wanted me to try it out (she's been going recently), played a game of disc golf with a friend, and finally went to a friend's wedding locally. Wedding was dry and we snuck in booze, but it wound up being rather fun (pics to follow). He is a big car nut and I kind of got him on the :poorvette: train so we did a bit of a photoshoot with it.

Yesterday got in a long group bike ride with a buddy, watched some TV on the patio, got dinner with my parents and niece.

We are leaving for Thailand Wednesday night :excited:

Struggling to GAF about work at the moment.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:51 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:25 am

:notbad: Did you trot or gallop at all? That hurt deez :balls: quite a bit.
No, this was a mellow ride. They do a 9AM ride where they let more experienced riders get up to speed a bit, would be fun to do that.