Car Talk 1: Passengers matter

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Hence using employees as blood bags.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote:
Melon wrote:GM developing their own automation system?
It's been in the works for a long time. They purchased some of max's friends to do tge software. Now, they're almost ready for prime time but need tweaking.

Yea this must have been in the works for a long ass time for sure.

Google has been running their little clown cars since 2009 here... 7 fucking years. Tesla has been at it for just as long... and these bros ain't cheap at 200k a pop a year to start if not more.

https://www.google.com/selfdrivingcar/
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: It's been in the works for a long time. They purchased some of max's friends to do tge software. Now, they're almost ready for prime time but need tweaking.

Google has been running their little clown cars since 2009 here... 7 fucking years. Tesla has been at it for just as long... and these bros ain't cheap at 200k a pop a year to start if not more.

I wonder how far along other OEMs are. Tesla is pretty much the only one you hear anything from. Usually because OEMs don't like to reveal features half-baked, but Musk has made a business of it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Yeah, they have spent years developing the tech.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

I wonder how far along other OEMs are. Tesla is pretty much the only one you hear anything from. Usually because OEMs don't like to reveal features half-baked, but Musk has made a business of it.
If I had to assign #s to them...
on a scale of 1 being cruise control and 10 being fully autonomously capable.
MB is a 7
Tesla is 8
Ford is a 6
BMW is a 5
FCA is a 4
GM (not sure) probably closer to 6 considering the brogrammer acquisitions, but pretty late to the game overall.
But Tesla/MB are the only two that have actually produced some pretty crazy tech as is that is used by consumers already, the others are still developing/testing
ChrisoftheNorth

I thought BMW had some pretty advanced shit.

And I'll let you know first hand how close GM is. Study is at the end of the month.
max225

Detroit wrote:I thought BMW had some pretty advanced shit.

And I'll let you know first hand how close GM is. Study is at the end of the month.
Based on what I can see GM was sitting on the sidelines until about 2 years ago or so, then all the sudden went into Full Retard catch up mode buying part of Lyft, deciding on the Bolt features etc etc. From what I can tell the gap has been narrowed significantly.

However the top two from what I can see is MB and Tesla. I am pretty sure they have level 5 shit almost ready, and are certainly testing it, but it isn't going to be consumer ready for 3-5 years.

The "safety" tech on the new E class is insane.
1. It is connected to an internal network advising other cars of where there is bad weather/wheel spin
2. Plays some crazy noise that doesn't fuck your ears once you enter a collion by playing white noise
3. Reads/knows speed limits and adjusts your cruise control if you wanted to
4. Changes lanes for you
5. Avoids cars if it senses collision (not just brakes it steers too)
6. compensates for cross wind
7. Parks itself (a lot do that)
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I heard about that ear protection thing. It's :mindblown:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote:I heard about that ear protection thing. It's :mindblown:
This is the first I've heard of it. And in an E class?
:impressive:
max225

Detroit wrote:
wap wrote:I heard about that ear protection thing. It's :mindblown:
This is the first I've heard of it. And in an E class?
Yea... MB always rolls out some crazy new safety tech in each new gen of their cars that then trickles up and down. Kind of bizzare. This time it is the E class, other times it is mostly the S class.

But the current E class is the newest gen with the best safety tech. I frankly don't know how one would go about crashing one... the car should be able to intervene and prevent you from doing so.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: This is the first I've heard of it. And in an E class?
Yea... MB always rolls out some crazy new safety tech in each new gen of their cars that then trickles up and down. Kind of bizzare. This time it is the E class, other times it is mostly the S class.
Yea, I'd expect this to be S-Class.

But I guess with the death of cars with the simultaneous growing, the E makes sense.
max225

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Yea, I'd expect this to be S-Class.

But I guess with the death of cars with the simultaneous growing, the E makes sense.
The C and the E class are basically the same car now... same engine, chassis etc. The only distinguishing features are that safety tech + 9 speed auto in the E that is brand new vs the 7 in the C which was perfectly adequate in terms of gear rations.

You can't even get 6 cylinders in the E. All of em are the same 2.0T
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: Yea, I'd expect this to be S-Class.

The C and the E class are basically the same car now... same engine, chassis etc. The only distinguishing features are that safety tech + 9 speed auto in the E that is brand new vs the 7 in the C which was perfectly adequate in terms of gear rations.

You can't even get 6 cylinders in the E. All of em are the same 2.0T
Wow, I have completely ignored all of this. Crazy changes.
max225

C or E you decide

ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:C or E you decide

E on top?

Damn, that's hard to tell.
max225

Yep. Honestly even I can barely tell them apart.

The A6 and A4 are close too but these two are basically twins inside and out.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:Yep. Honestly even I can barely tell them apart.

It's crazy. Why is there zero visual distinction now?

Audi started it, this is full retard. I only guessed based on the driver as scale.
:disgust:
max225

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Yep. Honestly even I can barely tell them apart.

It's crazy. Why is there zero visual distinction now?

Audi started it, this is full retard. I only guessed based on the driver as scale.
Why? well they grew the C so that it is more distinguished from the CLA, which is now the new C. And the E can't grow anymore because the S class is right there... so it is stuck in this odd spot where it blends some of the S class tech with the C class styling.

It makes little/no sense.

Basically the entire segment is super saturated, due to the introduction of new models.
Compact/mid/mid/large and it used to be compact/mid/large
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: It's crazy. Why is there zero visual distinction now?

Why? well they grew the C so that it is more distinguished from the CLA, which is now the new C. And the E can't grow anymore because the S class is right there... so it is stuck in this odd spot where it blends some of the S class tech with the C class styling.

Basically the entire segment is super saturated, due to the introduction of new models.
:dat: :butwhy:

Cars are dying for SUVs, it makes zero sense to have this many offerings.
max225

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

:dat: :butwhy:

I think the reasoning was... we need zeee cheap car for badge whores. Voila 29,995 for CLA. Now we need to make sure the zee C class is still viable even though it is being replaced by those seeking the cheapest way to drive a 3 pointed target on the poor souls ahead. So they had to take it upmarket squeezing into the E.

It all makes sense in that retarded way.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: :dat: :butwhy:

I think the reasoning was... we need zeee cheap car for badge whores. Voila 29,995 for CLA. Now we need to make sure the zee C class is still viable even though it is being replaced by those seeking the cheapest way to drive a 3 pointed target on the poor souls ahead. So they had to take it upmarket squeezing into the E.

I run into this every day at work...nobody knows when to pull the fucking plug.

Either the C should have gone down market, gone away entirely, or the E should have gone away.

This is inevitable, it's just going to take a while for it to occur.
max225

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

I run into this every day at work...nobody knows when to pull the fucking plug.

Either the C should have gone down market, gone away entirely, or the E should have gone away.

Yea but then you have to explain how the CLA is going to make more money than the C or E class to the beancounters where as the CLA development project likely lists it as gravy on the top without quoting the inevitable cannibalization.

Gotta love that corp lyfe.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: I run into this every day at work...nobody knows when to pull the fucking plug.

Yea but then you have to explain how the CLA is going to make more money than the C or E class to the beancounters where as the CLA development project likely lists it as gravy on the top without quoting the inevitable cannibalization.

Gotta love that corp lyfe.
That's exactly what happens.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:mahtroy: check out Amica Mutual. They were great the one time I made a claim in high school. Also I pay around $690/year for non poverty spec. My rates didn't go up when I got a ticket for 44 in a 35 back in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

maxtdi wrote:C or E you decide

wow. I mean.... wow.