Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Jaxper wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:05 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Be as accurate as possible - they will find out everything.
Yeah, I mean, we don't have anything to hide. The tricky part is that we're going to be applying for this mortgage today since we're meeting with the realtor tomorrow, but then combining accounts on Saturday (next available day with her night shift schedule).
Are you applying for a mortgage with out having a contract on a specific haus? Or are you getting a pre-qualification letter?
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:15 pm

Yeah, I mean, we don't have anything to hide. The tricky part is that we're going to be applying for this mortgage today since we're meeting with the realtor tomorrow, but then combining accounts on Saturday (next available day with her night shift schedule).
You may want to hold off on the accounts bit - talk to your loan officer and see what the best option is, whether it be combining now or combining later.
Good point. I'll give her a call now.
Apex wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Are you applying for a mortgage with out having a contract on a specific haus? Or are you getting a pre-qualification letter?
Ah, misspoke on my part. Pre-qualification to see what we can actually afford. Zillow gave us a seemingly outrageous answer, but it's not likely we'd spend that much for just the two of us, unless we got something like waterfront (but again, not likely there either).
The panda hath arrived.
Apex

Jaxper wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:15 pm

You may want to hold off on the accounts bit - talk to your loan officer and see what the best option is, whether it be combining now or combining later.
Good point. I'll give her a call now.
Apex wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Ah, misspoke on my part. Pre-qualification to see what we can actually afford. Zillow gave us a seemingly outrageous answer, but it's not likely we'd spend that much for just the two of us, unless we got something like waterfront (but again, not likely there either).
Got it. Have fun in the haus hunt!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My wife and I are considering new counter tops and doors for the kitchen. Problem is for a little more we can have new hardware and cabinets that function and look better. The only problem we have with that is our floors. Half the house is done up on poorly installed tiles put in by the builder nearly 20 yrs ago. Those should really come up if a new kitchen is goes in. Problem with that is the tiles extend from the kitchen in the back of the house to the front door.

So yeah, 1000 sqft of flooring and a new kitchen. I'm getting it all quoted. I'd like to save some money and do the floors myself but work is too nuts and being a breeder of humans i have zero time for anything as it already stands.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:My wife and I are considering new counter tops and doors for the kitchen. Problem is for a little more we can have new hardware and cabinets that function and look better. The only problem we have with that is our floors. Half the house is done up on poorly installed tiles put in by the builder nearly 20 yrs ago. Those should really come up if a new kitchen is goes in. Problem with that is the tiles extend from the kitchen in the back of the house to the front door.

So yeah, 1000 sqft of flooring and a new kitchen. I'm getting it all quoted. I'd like to save some money and do the floors myself but work is too nuts and being a breeder of humans i have zero time for anything as it already stands.
Might as well :nuke: it from orbit and rebuild from scratch.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
Tarspin wrote:My wife and I are considering new counter tops and doors for the kitchen. Problem is for a little more we can have new hardware and cabinets that function and look better. The only problem we have with that is our floors. Half the house is done up on poorly installed tiles put in by the builder nearly 20 yrs ago. Those should really come up if a new kitchen is goes in. Problem with that is the tiles extend from the kitchen in the back of the house to the front door.

Might as well :nuke: it from orbit and rebuild from scratch.
It's cheaper to tear down the whole house then it is to reno in some cases. I can't afford not to.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The tiles have got to go though.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Here's a beauty display of poorly installed tiles coming up in a high traffic area and in some cases cracking. :fuckyeah: ImageImage
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 pm Here's a beauty display of poorly installed tiles coming up in a high traffic area and in some cases cracking. :fuckyeah: ImageImage
Oh my kitchen tiles are doing the same shit. :flaccid:

Redoing the kitchen is low on my priority list for now, though.
Yeah [user not found], it's not a thing doe. Mine has been like this when i bought the place, just now I'm finally ready to budget replacing it. I want to put wide oak plank flooring in for the majority of the first level. Getting quotes for $6/sq ft material and $3/sq ft and extra for removal. Product is 5/7 doe.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Application is in at the mortgage company. Meeting with the realtor at 5 today. Things are moving nicely.
The panda hath arrived.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 am
Jaxper wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:48 am Application is in at the mortgage company. Meeting with the realtor at 5 today. Things are moving nicely.
You should've focused on a pre-approval first, not a full commitment to a mortgage.

Usually a full commitment means you've found a :haus:
He's got all the deets in for a pre-qualification letter from the mortgage company right now. He's not in for a full-blown mortgage just yet.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:55 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 am

You should've focused on a pre-approval first, not a full commitment to a mortgage.

Usually a full commitment means you've found a :haus:
He's got all the deets in for a pre-qualification letter from the mortgage company right now. He's not in for a full-blown mortgage just yet.
@[user not found] :dat: The pre-qualification application is what I'm talking about, it's just through the mortgage company that our realtor recommended.
The panda hath arrived.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:24 am
[user not found] wrote:
It is that things don't have homes or that it's not efficient to put things in their homes?
Mostly that don't have homes. Dunno where it goes? Stick it on my desk to figure it out later. Most of it then gets trashed. :rolleyes:
Story of my life right here.... I can clean my office and within 2 days it's a pile of stuff on my desk and boxes on the floor until I find a home for the items in question.

Pisses me off to no end and I need to fix this problem. The only thing worse is when the wife moves something and she doesn't even know what it is, and then can't tell me where she put it.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:24 am Mostly that don't have homes. Dunno where it goes? Stick it on my desk to figure it out later. Most of it then gets trashed. :rolleyes:
Story of my life right here.... I can clean my office and within 2 days it's a pile of stuff on my desk and boxes on the floor until I find a home for the items in question.

Pisses me off to no end and I need to fix this problem. The only thing worse is when the wife moves something and she doesn't even know what it is, and then can't tell me where she put it.
:dat:

It's a mess, but it's my mess and I at least know where I've put everything.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Copied from OT:

We need a new coffee table.. Looking at these so far:
https://www.westelm.com/products/marble ... fee-tables
That will be our :fullretard: purchase if we feel like spending too much money.

https://www.westelm.com/products/hammer ... wE&cm_ite=[[PLA]%20-%20Neutral%20Desktop]
That is more financially responsible option #2.

https://www.target.com/p/manila-hammere ... lsrc=aw.ds
Low end option #3.

I really really like the marble and gold/copper of the first one. Found that a few days ago, loved it, knew Michelle would love it, sent it to her and she was super :fuckyeah: May have dug myself into hole by now having to buy it, but there are worse things in the world. My biggest gripe is the $200 flat rate shipping, so we're gonna pop into a West Elm store this weekend and see if they can do a ship-to-store for free or at least cheaper than $200.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 am I need to figure out how to better organize my office and keep it organized. It quickly becomes a trash dump.
This is the problem Lisa has as well. Things don't have homes and since she has a laptop her "workplace" moves around from couch to table to kitchen to office, etc. So piles end up all over the place.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:34 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 am I need to figure out how to better organize my office and keep it organized. It quickly becomes a trash dump.
This is the problem Lisa has as well. Things don't have homes and since she has a laptop her "workplace" moves around from couch to table to kitchen to office, etc. So piles end up all over the place.
She needs a :dock: station so her at home office is in one place.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:34 pm

She needs a :dock: station so her at home office is in one place.
I'd be OK with buying a desk and other shit. Her desk is really just a re-purposed table and as such has no shelving or other shit to help her organize. Flat desk, 1 filing cabinet, and that's it. I think she'd benefit from an actual desk with drawers and a bookshelf but what do I know.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

House visit tomorrow after work!
The panda hath arrived.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:31 pm
Jaxper wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:58 am House visit tomorrow after work!
:like:

Link?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/30-H ... 5538_zpid/
The panda hath arrived.
Apex

Jaxper wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Link?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/30-H ... 5538_zpid/
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm experimenting with paint on those vintage chairs i bought recently. I still need to try other colors but I'm really happy with the sample from Farrow and Ball. Great paint overall.

Wife saw some pinshit white chairs so i took pictures of one of them primed so she can see. I :dislike: the look. Been working to change her mind, and i think im making headway hoepfully.

Another couple of pics taken after the first coat of sandpaper was smoothed/sanded off. It gives the chair a sort of rustic pinshit worn out look which I'm also not keen on. Wife won't even see those pics lol.

Finally a first coat of London Stone. It goes well with a leaf that i brought to the paint supplier. The final version will be sprayed so it will have a much more uniform look once done properly.

Pics:

Ruined.Image

White. I dunno mang.

Pinshit points: 90

ImageImageImage

First coat of sample paint London Fog F&B

Great paint btwImage
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I think i'm going to be building a murphy bed.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wife hates it lol

Not enough contrast. Barnyard sheek requires whitish or blackish chairs!

:fuckyeah: Image
Desertbreh

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:15 pm I think i'm going to be building a murphy bed.
Discuss.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.