Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Calvinball wrote:
Barnes93cb wrote:I need knife set suggestions. Nothing too expensive. But our cuisinart stainless knives are about done after two years. Ideally I would like to stay around $100 or less.

Let me know what you foodies suggest.
Easily the best bang for your buck is Victorinox.

Sent from the Beer Depository
We just got a bunch of those for the wedding. 5/7 cutting and they can go in the dishwasher. Dunno what they cost, but like :waxer: said I only really use maybe 5 different knives myself.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

troyguitar wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Easily the best bang for your buck is Victorinox.

We just got a bunch of those for the wedding. 5/7 cutting and they can go in the dishwasher. Dunno what they cost, but like :waxer: said I only really use maybe 5 different knives myself.
They're damn close to the expensive forged stuff for a fraction on the price. I think my chef's knife that I use for everything was like $40-50. I use the steel periodically and I've run it through my electric sharpener once in the probably 8-9 years I've owned it and it's still a great knife.

:therapist:
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 am

Chef knives. We have some awesome tableware.
Obviously, in most cases if you spend more, you get more (up to a point of diminishing returns). However, even lower cost knives can be really good, especially if you get a good honing steel and keep the edges true before use.

I would recommend not buying a "set" and instead buying individual blades as you need them. The sets are usually cheaper material steel and a cheap block at a higher price. Also, they tend to include knives you may never use. Find a knife with ergonomics you like and investigate the steel used. The most important part really will be what steel the blade is made from. Something too soft and it will require a lot of sharpening, and will likely be prone to rusting. One that is too hard will keep it's edge longer, but be a bitch to actually sharpen and likely need to be sent out to have it sharpened by a pro with the correct stones.

I have a very expensive set of knives that I wish I had not purchased. They are good, but I barely use but 3 or 4 of the blades and could have gotten so much more for the money (or much less) by buying the knives I need and not all the extra crap in the ~$1200 kit.
I’m going to speak for Zilch and I both on this and let him offer his two cents if needed. We share the open stock concept. Knife sets are usually shit and as already stated, you won’t use 75% of what you have.

Left to right-
Table knife - Messermeister
Table knife - Messermeister
Pairing knife - Wusthof
Tomato knive - our next to replace. It will be most likely be Wusthof.
Table knife
Table knife
Bread knife - ToJiro
Chefs knife - Wusthof

Our current full (including four table knives) set minus a boning knife and peeling knife running around in drawers that we don’t use enough to care about storage or quality. That being said, we take knives pretty seriously in this kitchen. They will hands down make your work load easier if used properly. Zilch has done his fair share of research to determine his wants and I have taken my suggestions from culinary professionals when purchasing.

A good chef’s knife should be doing 90% of your work. Go to crate and barrel or even Bed, Bath and Beyond and feel some things out. Weight will make a massive difference. Zilch’s chef knife is honestly too heavy for me to use properly so I stick the the paring knife for jobs that the chefs knife should be handling. Crate and Barrel also puts their knives on sale frequently. I’d suggest making use of some Black Friday goodness on this.

Put your money in a few good ones and skip the sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Thank you all for the recommendations for cutlery.

This makes things a bit more difficult. But I believe in the long run it will pay off for us. Ill have to make some trips to the store to try things out.

Our current knives are all metal and hollow handled. I dislike this and the edge is dull/ abused on our chefs knife and I believe beyond typical repair. Our scissors also broke so we have a cheap backup set. The knives are starting to show signs of rust. I am sure with some elbow grease I could keep it at bay but this seems like an overall losing battle. If I could keep the knives out of the dishwasher I am sure that would help with their lifespan.

I had never contemplated buying individually to build a personalized set.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:21 pm Thank you all for the recommendations for cutlery.

This makes things a bit more difficult. But I believe in the long run it will pay off for us. Ill have to make some trips to the store to try things out.

Our current knives are all metal and hollow handled. I dislike this and the edge is dull/ abused on our chefs knife and I believe beyond typical repair. Our scissors also broke so we have a cheap backup set. The knives are starting to show signs of rust. I am sure with some elbow grease I could keep it at bay but this seems like an overall losing battle. If I could keep the knives out of the dishwasher I am sure that would help with their lifespan.

Our knives do not see the dishwasher but I’m a little anal about shit like that. How often are they being used and what are you slicing most? Is it every meal of the day, mostly veggies? Just dinner, and they get grabbed to open packaging?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:21 pm Thank you all for the recommendations for cutlery.

Basically everything Sno said. And the bolded above. Hand wash only.

The other knife not pictured is a filet/boning knife that I’ve had forever and I use it regularly to skin fish.

The other piece of advise is to buy as much quality as you can afford, and learn how to sharpen them. If they’re well cared for they’ll last you forever.

Side note: I could live without the tomato/sandwich knife. The bread knife will do the same work only better...it’s probably the sharpest knife I own. It makes a great carving knife as well.

So in summary - 1 chef knife, 1 paring knife, 1 bread/carving knife, 1 filet knife and you’ll cover 99.9% of the jobs you’ll ever tackle in the kitchen.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb

Sno wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Our knives do not see the dishwasher but I’m a little anal about shit like that. How often are they being used and what are you slicing most? Is it every meal of the day, mostly veggies? Just dinner, and they get grabbed to open packaging?
I dont use the dishwasher. But my roomate is a douche and will throw EVERYTHING into the washer. Even my copper core stainless cookware.

Theyre typically used 3 days of the week. Primarily veggies and chicken. I cannot answer whether or not theyre used to open packaging. I use scissors or my pocket knives for that.

Im planning to start cooking more than we have been. One weekend day for meal prep lunches. And then 4 or so evenings for dinner.
troyguitar

How does a dishwasher hurt a blade?
Barnes93cb

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:56 pm How does a dishwasher hurt a blade?
Dishwashing detergent is abrasive and the water pressure can move the knives around and them hitting shit repeatedly is bad.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Dish washing detergent is generally more alkaline than dish soap, so that coupled with how well it’s rinsed and dried in the machine can cause rust spots.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

4zilch wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Dish washing detergent is generally more alkaline than dish soap, so that coupled with how well it’s rinsed and dried in the machine can cause rust spots.
:dat:

Also, a finely sharpened edge is delicate and you want to protect it as much as you can. Hand wash only and dry with a soft cloth before putting them away. I also rinse and dry them often during use to reduce anything from drying on the blade.
troyguitar

So 5 years of dishwasher-only use on my few old victorinox knives having done no noticeable damage to my :derp: ass means that I'm just experiencing :alpo: luck?

The old ones literally look and feel exactly the same to me as the brand new ones we just got... they all cut way better than my walmart specials, all have no rust vs the walmart specials which are showing some rust spots. :iono:

I understand the theory, but in practice I haven't seen any issues. Of course everyone on DFD does everything the absolute best way with the absolute best materials every single time. I'm the lone moran. :jalepenis:
troyguitar

Oh yeah... I use them to open packages too, because they're fucking knives.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:26 pm Oh yeah... I use them to open packages too, because they're fucking knives.
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

A box cutter is cheap and much better for the job.

Because you said this, I invalidate your prior comment about the knives being "the same as a brand new one" since opening boxes will dull a blade very fast. 10:1 that your blades are not sharp and probably can't feather paper.
troyguitar

Not boxes... opening plastic-wrapped food stuff.
troyguitar

What the hell is feathering paper and why would I care about that anyway?

The old "ruined" knives cut meat and vegetables with the same level of effort (i.e. near zero) as the new ones.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:35 pm What the hell is feathering paper and why would I care about that anyway?

The old "ruined" knives cut meat and vegetables with the same level of effort (i.e. near zero) as the new ones.
it shows how sharp the blade really is, if you can cut loosely supported paper in fine strips you know that the micro-serrations on the blade are inline and kicking ass.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:21 pm So 5 years of dishwasher-only use on my few old victorinox knives having done no noticeable damage to my :derp: ass means that I'm just experiencing :alpo: luck?

The old ones literally look and feel exactly the same to me as the brand new ones we just got... they all cut way better than my walmart specials, all have no rust vs the walmart specials which are showing some rust spots. :iono:

I understand the theory, but in practice I haven't seen any issues. Of course everyone on DFD does everything the absolute best way with the absolute best materials every single time. I'm the lone moran. :jalepenis:
Or they’re higher quality stainless. You-do-you booboo

Also Victornix are pretty good knives for their price point/stamped blades
Last edited by 4zilch on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barnes93cb

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:21 pm So 5 years of dishwasher-only use on my few old victorinox knives having done no noticeable damage to my :derp: ass means that I'm just experiencing :alpo: luck?

Im sure with better knives this wouldnt be an issue. But with my cheap $40 knife set two years of use have destroyed the edge.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I understand the theory, but in practice I haven't seen any issues. Of course everyone on DFD does everything the absolute best way with the absolute best materials every single time. I'm the lone moran . :jalepenis:
Right. And because you’re Troy, everything has to be an arguement as to why what you do is better.
troyguitar

...or, because you're Sno, you interpret everything I ever say in the worst way possible. I couldn't possibly have any interest in learning why what I'm doing is wrong so that I can improve myself, could I? Is there some harm that I'm doing to my stuff that I can't detect after "only" 5 years of use? Will the knives suddenly turn to dust next year?

It sounds like doing everything right would have extended the useful life of my shitty walmart knives, but how does it actually help when you start with the right knives in the first place?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:44 pm ...or, because you're Sno, you interpret everything I ever say in the worst way possible. I couldn't possibly have any interest in learning why what I'm doing is wrong so that I can improve myself, could I? Is there some harm that I'm doing to my stuff that I can't detect after "only" 5 years of use? Will the knives suddenly turn to dust next year?

It sounds like doing everything right would have extended the useful life of my shitty walmart knives, but how does it actually help when you start with the right knives in the first place?
Troy you just come across in an argumentative way. Sno isn’t the only one that interprets your statements as such.

In short yes, your Walmart knives would’ve likely faired better had you treated them better. If your other knives are doing fine in the dishwasher, that’s great. Keep doing it.

My blades don’t, so I’ll continue to hand wash them.

As with most things in life YMMV.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The cooking thread: Days of our Knives
troyguitar

So being super anal about everything might not actually be necessary if you buy the right stuff? :notbad:

The way I read what you guys are saying is that your way is the only way to do everything. My "argument" is that you might be able to get away without being so bloody OCD about everything. Y'all are effectively changing your oil every 500 miles because it's cheap insurance.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:22 pm So being super anal about everything might not actually be necessary if you buy the right stuff? :notbad:

The way I read what you guys are saying is that your way is the only way to do everything. My "argument" is that you might be able to get away without being so bloody OCD about everything. Y'all are effectively changing your oil every 500 miles because it's cheap insurance.
Taking care of something you paid good money for is not OCD, it’s responsible.

Instead of saying someone is OCD or accusing them of being excessive, your follow up statement could start as “I do this differently. I’m interested to hear the benefits to your way.”