Grounded to the Ground - Vanilla Cammie Chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:12 pm

Speaking of which Mr. Aftermarket Parts Bro, I need to retrofit some HID's to my 2006 MBZ E350. It has the same projector housings the HIDs came with but it has the halogens.............which do suck compared to modern lighting. Any pro tips as far as brands?
Lighting really isn't my expertise, especially in terms terms of retrofitting - but I would wager the halogen projectors aren't quite exactly the same as the HID projectors.

A quick google search pulled up a few threads on mbworld you might want to peruse regarding the W211 and installing HIDs:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211 ... rofit.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211 ... ctors.html

The Evo X Bi-X retrofit into Depo housings seems to be a popular way to go, but it'll require some work.
Yeah I headed down the forum rabbit hole. I will keep digging.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

The most impressive part is the power split device (transmission). It’s a planetary gear set with 2 electric motors that vary their power and add or remove resistance to keep the engine at an optimal speed. Read up on it, it’s wild. There are no gear changes. No CVT belt. Literally nothing to break unless there’s an issue with one of the motors.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:15 pm The most impressive part is the power split device (transmission). It’s a planetary gear set with 2 electric motors that vary their power and add or remove resistance to keep the engine at an optimal speed. Read up on it, it’s wild. There are no gear changes. No CVT belt. Literally nothing to break unless there’s an issue with one of the motors.
Had a sec to find this video which seems informative. I need to look at it in greater detail, there's a lot going on here.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:15 pm The most impressive part is the power split device (transmission). It’s a planetary gear set with 2 electric motors that vary their power and add or remove resistance to keep the engine at an optimal speed. Read up on it, it’s wild. There are no gear changes. No CVT belt. Literally nothing to break unless there’s an issue with one of the motors.
Had a sec to find this video which seems informative. I need to look at it in greater detail, there's a lot going on here.
That misses the planetary aspect. The smaller motor/generator controls the rotation speed of the wheels by slowing and reversing its rotation direction.
https://archive.org/details/Toyota_Priu ... lit_Device
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:18 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:05 pm

That misses the planetary aspect. The smaller motor/generator controls the rotation speed of the wheels by slowing and reversing its rotation direction.
https://archive.org/details/Toyota_Priu ... lit_Device
That's a :neat: simulator, I thought that MG1 was strictly a generator and somehow mechanically coupled to the wheels. Either way, the tech is :mindblown: when you consider how much flexibility it offers the software programming to chose between gas and electric.

:impressive:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Not sure why I felt compelled to create this comparative picture of my previous and next car but it's done now so I'm posting it. 7.4" :dedong: wheelbase increase, and a whopping 24.5" of additional overall length. Dis a :mahtroy: caddy right here:

Last edited by Tar on Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Imma have to clear out some under counter space in my garage to tuck that big beak in deep enough that I can close the garage door. Some storage and shelving shit is down there as well as my car jack. I might have to invest in a shed on the side of the house.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:24 pm Not sure why I felt compelled to create this comparative picture of my previous and next car but it's done now so I'm posting it. 7.4" :dedong: wheelbase increase, and a whopping 24.5" of additional overall length. Dis a :mahtroy: caddy right here:

That's a big ol' bitch!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:15 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:24 pm Not sure why I felt compelled to create this comparative picture of my previous and next car but it's done now so I'm posting it. 7.4" :dedong: wheelbase increase, and a whopping 24.5" of additional overall length. Dis a :mahtroy: caddy right here:

That's a big ol' bitch!
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I love the measuring scale :lol:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:32 pm I love the measuring scale :lol:
Do you think I could have done it in :dong: s to make the car look bigger?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:32 pm I love the measuring scale :lol:
:dat:

Bonus points for :dedong: inclusion.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This going to be the most useless post of the day, but I'm like a Maytag repair man today and literally nobody around me feels like being productive :aintcare:

First day of homeschooling went really well, worked with the younger kid and chirped our Provincial Premier in my news feeds for the first half :lolol:

Wife approves the roof/mirror/trim wrap when I get the windows tinted and PPF installed, what do you think? IMO the bottom looks better but my wife thinks that it looks like an old man car (whom I identify with):

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:29 pm How does the car from from the factory? Black roof or silver roof?
SE that I'm buying is silver with the 18s shown. XSE for 3.5k more comes with 19" :ramz: in black and optional black roof/mirror caps/trim around windows. When I pick it up I plan to add :tints: and PPF to the hood/lights/bumper as I did with my R. Adding vinyl to those extra items wouldn't cost much extra $$
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:50 pm I'd go :tints: and dark gray or black mirror caps, and that's about it.

I'd rather enjoy cleanly blending in and not standing out while being comfy and getting epic empeegeez. The black roof thing screams trying too hard, IMO - plus hotter in the summer.
Yeah thanks, I appreciate your aesthetical input on the subject. The black roof gets a pass because it's a factory option IMO but having the sun bounce off of silver appeals more to me. You nailed it on the head, blending in is the vibe I'm going for with this car, I want to be unnoticed.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:50 pm I'd go :tints: and dark gray or black mirror caps, and that's about it.

I'd rather enjoy cleanly blending in and not standing out while being comfy and getting epic empeegeez. The black roof thing screams trying too hard, IMO - plus hotter in the summer.
One other thing on my mind... How dark would you go with tints on a silver car before it starts to look gaudy?
wap

Agree with all this.
Desertbreh

Tar wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:01 pm

Yeah thanks, I appreciate your aesthetical input on the subject. The black roof gets a pass because it's a factory option IMO but having the sun bounce off of silver appeals more to me. You nailed it on the head, blending in is the vibe I'm going for with this car, I want to be unnoticed.
There are a fair amount of Hispanic 30 somethings, usually overweight dads, who rock the Camry in XSE or SE form and go all out with the maximum dude accessories so that they somehow retain their balls when they lost them long ago. It's not a good look.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:02 pm

One other thing on my mind... How dark would you go with tints on a silver car before it starts to look gaudy?
I'd go at most 35ish. 50 is somewhat there ... but anything under 25 is pretty darn drug dealer
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:06 pm

I'd go at most 35ish. 50 is somewhat there ... but anything under 25 is pretty darn drug dealer
+1
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:05 pm
Tar wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:01 pm

There are a fair amount of Hispanic 30 somethings, usually overweight dads, who rock the Camry in XSE or SE form and go all out with the maximum dude accessories so that they somehow retain their balls when they lost them long ago. It's not a good look.
:amazing: :lolol:
We are short on this demographic here, so I'd possibly be able to recreate that stereotype and make it my own. I hear ya, dude!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:06 pm

:like:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:05 pm

:amazing: :lolol:
We are short on this demographic here, so I'd possibly be able to recreate that stereotype and make it my own. I hear ya, dude!
Certainly see that here. The Camry is piloted by some interesting fellas in XSE form...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So 35 to 40 sounds dece to me and I'll maybe wrap the mirror caps when I get PPF put on the front end. I'm going to roll :wap: spec with this juan. :excited:
wap

:fuckyeah: