Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I would... but he is likely not gonna be an active poster ... he doesn't seem to forumbro much.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The 18s are the best wheels on those cars. I think they even look the best, and I agree Max that spoiler is too much.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:56 pm The 18s are the best wheels on those cars. I think they even look the best, and I agree Max that spoiler is too much.
:dat:

They don't even look too small or anything. They look just right. I'm def a fan of the meaty tire aesthetic though. I don't mind the spoiler either but it's not something I'd spend money to put on lol.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:00 pm :iono: basing off just my bro's experience as a driver, working for a company is a lot better than owner operator. He has done both. He makes six figures working for an oil delivery company and gets to go home most nights. That said, it's still no walk in the park, he is working many more hours than a typical office person.
I can confirm but in a different setting. When I worked for Dominos for my first job, the driver who trained me used to be a manager, but he went down as a driver because being a manager took lot of his time, for that alone he decided to do delivery only.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

I’ll continue posting car content this video was fucking amazing
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:37 pm

I’ll continue posting car content this video was fucking amazing
There's some great hour+ long videos of euro automotive factories that have no background music or narration. It's just pure factory sound.

Edit: it looks like the original I had saved was taken down but this looks to be a re-upload

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I look at that a lot. I'm proud to say that I've helped to configure assembly lines for the LX/LD/LC-LA (300/Charger/Challenger), Rage4, RX and NX assembly lines and have a nice side gig at GM pickup truck plants. My takeaway from the Porsche video that Max posted is just how much manual assembly and low volume automation is applied. They don't make a lot of them and it shows. I really appreciate the 911 GT3 even more after watching. :like:
max225

So my buddy got the M4!!! :exciting: Curious to see his experience.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:55 pm I am helping my buddy into a F8X YAS MARINA blue m4 with a white interior.

The dude bro that has had it before him ... "can't afford it anymore" so he is getting it for 48k... dude bro bought it for 46k 2 years and 20k miles ago.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/ ... 59792.html

This is the car while it is still posted. It has some BRO mods, but mostly unmolested. And it rides on the poverty 18s which is the way to go. I told him to take out that spoiler... but he likes it. :iono: Otherwise it is nearly the perfect spec!

Just fyi... the dude was quoted $2000 for spark plugs two months ago, he did it himself. They are due every 30k... as are $2000 worth of tires... I prepped him for this... but he thinks "his local shop will do it far cheaper" oh well... he is coming out of a 2015 WRX

Dat mini with the roll cage and RPF1's :doe:

:lolol: at the local shop far cheaper.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:27 pm So my buddy got the M4!!! :exciting: Curious to see his experience.
:popcorn:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:27 pm So my buddy got the M4!!! :exciting: Curious to see his experience.
In4impressions.
:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:nice: :jelly:

I'm curious to hear ongoing updates. Mostly in regards to maintaining/cost of ownershit on the F80. They are fairly compelling IMO, especially if they ever get back to pre-pandemic pricing. I find the F series to be a great size if a 'family car' is needed, it does a lot very well, but I'm sure the M really takes up the driving experience a few notches.

I have to say, mine with the 200TW tires is pretty :lolol: Holy grip.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:41 am
:nice: :jelly:

I'm curious to hear ongoing updates. Mostly in regards to maintaining/cost of ownershit on the F80. They are fairly compelling IMO, especially if they ever get back to pre-pandemic pricing. I find the F series to be a great size if a 'family car' is needed, it does a lot very well, but I'm sure the M really takes up the driving experience a few notches.

I have to say, mine with the 200TW tires is pretty :lolol: Holy grip.
I’m really curious about the S55 … it seemed like it was reliable at first just like the V8 but then that thing started spinning rod bearings at year 5 also… curious if the S55 will follow suit… there have been a few documented issues already but nothing as bad as rod bearings … although this dudes F80 had the entire vanos and top end replaced at 31k miles :thisisfine:
max225

max225

:amazing:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2185458

Apparently someone bought the Cucktrek. There's a loss to be booked in Q2.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:15 am Image
:amazing:
:impressive:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:20 am

That’s :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:28 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:20 am

I actually wonder how the accounting works here and if they actually keep track of per vehicle profit or if it's all just an aggregate? The bought the thing last year Q4, sold it this year in Q2. They lost $1,500 without considering transport and detailing/reconditioning,
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:56 am
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:28 am

I actually wonder how the accounting works here and if they actually keep track of per vehicle profit or if it's all just an aggregate? The bought the thing last year Q4, sold it this year in Q2. They lost $1,500 without considering transport and detailing/reconditioning,
Given the cost and the fact that they have algorithms that would benefit from knowing what each car sold for and cost I bet they do know….

35,300 purchase price
$600 transport +
$800 Reconditioning fee+
$400 interest fee
-sale price 33,990
Gross vehicle profit -3110 or whatever
+ extended warranty profit
+transport upcharge
= net vehicle profit
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Used car dealership nepotism is amazing :lol:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

This is kinda sad lol
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hmmm... so is it time to buy Vroom stock? :lolol: or it will tumble to zero?

I feel like Carvana just got too greedy/'generous' with their insane offers. They overbought inventory by outbidding everyone and eventually buyers :nope: and just outright refuse to overpay for Cucktreks and the like.

My flight into Austin yesterday got delayed for hours :disgust: Got to the 'Emerald Isle' and pickins were rather slim. I had to choose between two Renegades, a Sentra, a Jetta, and a couple of gross CUVs (like Rogue/Escape). I wound up in the Jetta. So far it seems better than expected.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Weird that the ICE GR86 and Miata got the jump off the line and then got passed by the MINI. I didn't even know the MINI EV was a thing, let alone for sub $30K. Now I kind of want one.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:38 am Hmmm... so is it time to buy Vroom stock? :lolol: or it will tumble to zero?

I feel like Carvana just got too greedy/'generous' with their insane offers. They overbought inventory by outbidding everyone and eventually buyers :nope: and just outright refuse to overpay for Cucktreks and the like.

My flight into Austin yesterday got delayed for hours :disgust: Got to the 'Emerald Isle' and pickins were rather slim. I had to choose between two Renegades, a Sentra, a Jetta, and a couple of gross CUVs (like Rogue/Escape). I wound up in the Jetta. So far it seems better than expected.
Out of all the rental experiences I've had, I think the best brands are either VW or Kia. Dodge charger for 3rd runner up, v6 or not.
Vw's are Polo TDI (in Turkey, duh), Jetta 1.4t, Passat 1.8t. Bunch of loaners too, but the worst I had was a first gen tiguan doe, dat jerky transmission. But the sunroof was :nice: and when I borrowed my friends 1.4t tiguan with DSG, just the trans alone is night and day as the first gen.
Forte was the one I really liked as a rental for good 2 weeks until the ac leak in the interior ruined it for me, then I had to switch to Honda HRV which was dreadful to drive.