Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:29 am Year end deals doe? GM throws a 20% off deal on in stock stuff a couple times a year. Not sure when that is and if the timing could fit right. Also, the base truck gets a lot more stuff, like power windows. They both do offroad really well doe and fitting 4 humans is possible in both cases, and both are pretty cool in their own ways. So to me they are comparable.

Not wanting a bed is a legit point though, its wasted space that could be added to the interior.
Right but they are very different vehicles in a very similar price range. The Jeep spans 27-50k now the Colorado goes from 21-50k as well if you throw in the weezel

They are super rare out here 400 cars on lot and 1 zr2 with 0 off sticker. I am sure some finagling can be done doe.. same as with the heep.

Depends on what you like I can see someone going for the truck for sure I can also see myself going for the heep
Yeah true, don't let forum banter stop you from getting what you want. :like:

Did you find out if headroom is compromised on the JLU or was that fake news?
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:21 am
max225 wrote: Right but they are very different vehicles in a very similar price range. The Jeep spans 27-50k now the Colorado goes from 21-50k as well if you throw in the weezel

They are super rare out here 400 cars on lot and 1 zr2 with 0 off sticker. I am sure some finagling can be done doe.. same as with the heep.

Depends on what you like I can see someone going for the truck for sure I can also see myself going for the heep
Yeah true, don't let forum banter stop you from getting what you want. :like:

It looks like it is lacking to be honest. Tfl dude is about my size and his head is chilling in the roll cage, it is particularly bad in the back.

I’ll have to see for myself doe
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:21 am Yeah true, don't let forum banter stop you from getting what you want. :like:

It looks like it is lacking to be honest. Tfl dude is about my size and his head is chilling in the roll cage, it is particularly bad in the back.

Sounds like a show stopper for tall peeps. Thats a pretty bad move on FCA part. :butwhy:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:55 am
max225 wrote: It looks like it is lacking to be honest. Tfl dude is about my size and his head is chilling in the roll cage, it is particularly bad in the back.

Sounds like a show stopper for tall peeps. Thats a pretty bad move on FCA part. :butwhy:
So you feel like you’re riding on 37s?!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:17 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:40 am

Oh so it's like Apple :rage: :fshitup:
I like the u connect in my dads 300. The screen is super high res it is very very responsive. And it has CarPlay. I wouldn’t need anything else aside from that. Getting CarPlay in it makes it future proof. Not like you’ll be able to do anything other than play music, look at maps and take calls with it in the next 10 Years.
Well, tell him not to do any updates and lose functionality to things like access to the on-board HDD, or bluetooth on screen messages disappearing... UGH. That was a nightmare.

I still say that the unit in the JKU is better overall. I have the 730N system and if I want Android Auto or Carplay I would just swap an aftermarket double DIN head unit in and I wouldn't lose any core functionality of the vehicle like you do with the integrated systems.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:57 pm
I like the u connect in my dads 300. The screen is super high res it is very very responsive. And it has CarPlay. I wouldn’t need anything else aside from that. Getting CarPlay in it makes it future proof. Not like you’ll be able to do anything other than play music, look at maps and take calls with it in the next 10 Years.
Well, tell him not to do any updates and lose functionality to things like access to the on-board HDD, or bluetooth on screen messages disappearing... UGH. That was a nightmare.

I still say that the unit in the JKU is better overall. I have the 730N system and if I want Android Auto or Carplay I would just swap an aftermarket double DIN head unit in and I wouldn't lose any core functionality of the vehicle like you do with the integrated systems.
interesting... there is a "free upgrade" pending somewhere. Not sure what needs upgrading as he doesn't have nav....
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:05 pm

interesting... there is a "free upgrade" pending somewhere. Not sure what needs upgrading as he doesn't have nav....
Probably a security update. IIRC hackers could take control of cars with uconnect. :whocares: literally nobody is going to take control of your dad's 300.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:17 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Probably a security update. IIRC hackers could take control of cars with uconnect. :whocares: literally nobody is going to take control of your dad's 300.
Yup :aintcare: speaking of which.... Crown Vic which still gets driven daily got a CE light.... dad says it runs rough. I am guessing it popped a chinese coil, which has lasted around 150k miles... and I still have 7 spares
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Yup :aintcare: speaking of which.... Crown Vic which still gets driven daily got a CE light.... dad says it runs rough. I am guessing it popped a chinese coil, which has lasted around 150k miles... and I still have 7 spares
Old cars suck. When they get to this age it's just nonstop tinkering and minor repairs.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:36 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Old cars suck. When they get to this age it's just nonstop tinkering and minor repairs.
Yep, it has basically been 2-3 minor repairs a year + 1 oil change and 2 maintenance items like tires/brakes or coolant etc. That's like guaranteed. Cars are expensive propositions...

The fact that it is so unbelievably cheap to lease right now is quite impressive. It takes so many headaches out of the equation. Annoying :dillerman: have turned to service departments in order to fleece their "customers" so any car north of 25k miles receives $800-1200 service quotes which are blatant rip offs.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Yep, it has basically been 2-3 minor repairs a year + 1 oil change and 2 maintenance items like tires/brakes or coolant etc. That's like guaranteed. Cars are expensive propositions...

The fact that it is so unbelievably cheap to lease right now is quite impressive. It takes so many headaches out of the equation. Annoying :dillerman: have turned to service departments in order to fleece their "customers" so any car north of 25k miles receives $800-1200 service quotes which are blatant rip offs.
GF's old car was a piece of shit Volvo V70. Her Tiguan lease costs her about as much per month as that shitbucket did in repairs. Only there is no down time with the newer car, it won't strand her, and she won't be without transportation in it.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:55 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:53 pm

GF's old car was a piece of shit Volvo V70. Her Tiguan lease costs her about as much per month as that shitbucket did in repairs. Only there is no down time with the newer car, it won't strand her, and she won't be without transportation in it.
Yep... if you don't know your shit about cars/repairs you should only lease as otherwise you'll get the shaft.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Yep... if you don't know your shit about cars/repairs you should only lease as otherwise you'll get the shaft.
Man I tried on that car. But transmission replacement and head gasket work aren't things I can do on the street, lol.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:34 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Man I tried on that car. But transmission replacement and head gasket work aren't things I can do on the street, lol.
Which is why I consider them "big deals" when it comes to reliability. If i can't do it at home in 1/2 a day... :nope:
max225

So back to jeep talk...

I emailed my :dillerman: about the JLU, asking him about pricing if they can match the 1-5% off invoice I have seen on the webz. Without me having to join greenpeace. I also asked when they will get their first modelz so I can dick around with em.
max225

Fully expecting the blanket "when can you come in for a test drive" of a car that doesn't exist.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

got props on my stock jeep from a fellow jk guy. Except he was lowered on mexi poke wide wheels/tars. Kinda dumb. He had dreams of going off road on his 31"x12" tars.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:17 pm Fully expecting the blanket "when can you come in for a test drive" of a car that doesn't exist.
"Sure we can discuss pricing and options. Are you looking for a 4 door? We have plenty of new 4 doors on the lot that are priced to sell! I just received a new 2017 black sport model, when can you come down for a test drive?"
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Dang I don't have head unit text. I may update the maps but honestly have yet to tinker. One thing I don't like is it HAs to BT audio. Won't audio from phone by USB.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:10 am

Dang I don't have head unit text. I may update the maps but honestly have yet to tinker. One thing I don't like is it HAs to BT audio. Won't audio from phone by USB.
I meant media info from BT... Song/Artist info stuff.

Personally, I don't give a shit about SMS/Hangouts messaging on the head unit. My Corvette and Camaro have Android Auto and it's a pain in the ass to continually acknowledge the prompts. "Do you want to reply?" "Okay, what's your message?" "I have 'blah blah blah, blah blah', do you want to send it, or start over?" Fuck me, they can wait or I can pull over and just text them back.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:30 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:10 am

I meant media info from BT... Song/Artist info stuff.

Personally, I don't give a shit about SMS/Hangouts messaging on the head unit. My Corvette and Camaro have Android Auto and it's a pain in the ass to continually acknowledge the prompts. "Do you want to reply?" "Okay, what's your message?" "I have 'blah blah blah, blah blah', do you want to send it, or start over?" Fuck me, they can wait or I can pull over and just text them back.
You can reply with Siri in the 8.4 it worked pretty well since Siri has way better VR than any factory system. It controls certain functions also it’s pretty neat overall.
max225

Some interesting tidbits...

Base model JLU with HT+Auto as only options is $34,795 that's with crank windows.
Sport S model with HT+Auto + Stereo is around $39,850 that 5k adds Power everything + Alpine stereo
Rubicon model identically equipped is 46k so a Rubi is around 6k more than a sport S, for almost no added equipment that i'd use other than better wheels/tires.
The :scrooge: way to go is still on the base JLU and then start picking up the pieces from others....

This stupid 5 k thing.... totally relevant on the heep.

Base model 35k, base model with some stuff 40, 45k for base rubi, 50k for loaded out. Each 5k gets you extra goodies here and there.... but how does one pick the appropriate trim level... the 35-50k spread is significant. I don't know if the decked out Rubi is worth the 15k over a stripper base model.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:36 pm Some interesting tidbits...

Base model JLU with HT+Auto as only options is $34,795 that's with crank windows.
Sport S model with HT+Auto + Stereo is around $39,850 that 5k adds Power everything + Alpine stereo
Rubicon model identically equipped is 46k so a Rubi is around 6k more than a sport S, for almost no added equipment that i'd use other than better wheels/tires.
The :scrooge: way to go is still on the base JLU and then start picking up the pieces from others....

Base model 35k, base model with some stuff 40, 45k for base rubi, 50k for loaded out. Each 5k gets you extra goodies here and there.... but how does one pick the appropriate trim level... the 35-50k spread is significant. I don't know if the decked out Rubi is worth the 15k over a stripper base model.
Go big or stay home. HardCock or bust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

The $37-40k models are what make sense to guys like you or me, the extra off roading stuff is pretty meaningless as we'd probably never do anything a Rav4 couldn't do... less than that though, :iono: the manual windows are a tough pill to swallow in a $35k car.

I just then start to think about what else I could get for $40k and the interest in the :jeep: fades.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 pm

The $37-40k models are what make sense to guys like you or me, the extra off roading stuff is pretty meaningless as we'd probably never do anything a Rav4 couldn't do... less than that though, :iono: the manual windows are a tough pill to swallow in a $35k car.

I just then start to think about what else I could get for $40k and the interest in the :jeep: fades.
What else can you get for 40k actually that is comparable?
I kind of need a break from "sporty" driving since I am not appreciating it at the moment anyways. Agreed on the off roading stuff, but the rubi is better looking IMO, and it will have superior resale, you won't lose the 5k upcharge one bit. So it is just money spent up front ... not wasted on things like options.
I think you'd get 90% back on the rubi upcharge 2-5 years from now
But maybe 20-30% on the options...

My whole thing is... 46k rubi vs 40k Sport S I suppose... rubi seems to make more sense... but then since you can actually order the lights (895) + Headliner $495 that creeps to 48k