So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I need a small compact tool set for the Vette. Lowes had one "Mechanics" set that was $24, normally $39, so I looked at it. I'd like one with a mix of box wrenches and sockets, but for the price this one wasn't too bad.
It's got a removable chuck for the 1/4"-3/8"-1/2" which I wasn't sure about at first... But it's pretty solid.
Also, I normally HATE ones with the screw driver bits but this one's got a socket specifically for those bits that holds those little screwdriver ends more solid than any other I've fucked with.
Seems decent for now. I'm assuming the sizes it's got cover the majority of the most used sizes on vehicles.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I bought a doge last weekend. I got a range bag, 200 rounds of 9mm that ive already shot, a car organizer a single stack magazine loader,

Ill likely buy a set of Koni struts for the GTI today.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

A digital bathroom scale off Amazon for ~$12.00

Amaze.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Do Work, Son
Drives: CX-5

I bought fluoride at the dentist.
#AllPostsMatter
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Sure enough I did buy the set of Koni Orange struts. I also bought a set of stoptech pads for the GTI.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:17 am I bought a doge last weekend. I got a range bag, 200 rounds of 9mm that ive already shot, a car organizer a single stack magazine loader,

Ill likely buy a set of Koni struts for the GTI today.
:troywax:
Acid666

Ordered a 6 string fretless bass last night. Been wanting to test the waters with one for a while. Remembered this site Rondo Music, budget stuff with reasonably good quality. I'll likely have to do a full setup and tweak a few things, but fuck, $212 shipped is RIDICULOUS. I'll likely paint the body and powdercoat the hardware black.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 am Ordered a 6 string fretless bass last night. Been wanting to test the waters with one for a while. Remembered this site Rondo Music, budget stuff with reasonably good quality. I'll likely have to do a full setup and tweak a few things, but fuck, $212 shipped is RIDICULOUS. I'll likely paint the body and powdercoat the hardware black.
:like:
Les Claypool, in the house....

Acid666

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 am Ordered a 6 string fretless bass last night. Been wanting to test the waters with one for a while. Remembered this site Rondo Music, budget stuff with reasonably good quality. I'll likely have to do a full setup and tweak a few things, but fuck, $212 shipped is RIDICULOUS. I'll likely paint the body and powdercoat the hardware black.
:like:
Les Claypool, in the house....

hah, more like Steve Di Giorgio. Straight Death metal style
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:fuckyeah:

I've had great luck with Rondo stuff over the years. In fact my primary guitar was a custom order from them. IIRC it was about $750 shipped with a case for a custom 5 piece neck-thru-body 7 string with ebony fretboard, mother of pearl inlays, flamed maple top, and a floyd rose bridge. :scrooge:
Acid666

I've read their custom stuff is pretty top shelf. I'm big on used gear, I think only 2 of my basses are bought new. One being my Dingwall NG-2 5 string. You're not gonna find those used for a few years at least. It was about $1,350 with a black Friday special... A great price for boutique bass quality.
I didn't find many really bad comments about the Rondo gear. Similar to Squire. If you can do your own setups and deal with little issues or imperfections then they're probably the best bang for the buck in music gear.
Do Work, Son
Drives: CX-5

So a six string bass is a thing? I don't understand music so how is it tuned differently than a guitar?
#AllPostsMatter
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Sanchez wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:24 pm So a six string bass is a thing? I don't understand music so how is it tuned differently than a guitar?
AFAIK they're tuned an octave lower than a guitar. At least the one that I'm familiar with (not personally, but on a few records I listen to) but the real musicians here can confirm.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Acid666

Sanchez wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:24 pm So a six string bass is a thing? I don't understand music so how is it tuned differently than a guitar?
Bass is usually a 4 string that's tuned to match the top 4 strings of a 6 string guitar. Standard guitar tuning is EADGBE. Bass in standard tuning is EADG.
A 5 string bass puts a lower string in there tuned to BEADG. A 6 string gives the same B string (lower) than a guitar, but also adds a high string (a C). It's tuned to C and not B (like the guitar) because most bassists tune to 5ths and the B string on a guitar is tuned to the 4th.

My band tunes to C# standard, so my new dilemma is deciding if I want the 5th or 6th string tuned to C# and the rest following accordingly.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:35 pm
Bass is usually a 4 string that's tuned to match the top 4 strings of a 6 string guitar. Standard guitar tuning is EADGBE. Bass in standard tuning is EADG.
A 5 string bass puts a lower string in there tuned to BEADG. A 6 string gives the same B string (lower) than a guitar, but also adds a high string (a C). It's tuned to C and not B (like the guitar) because most bassists tune to 5ths and the B string on a guitar is tuned to the 4th.

My band tunes to C# standard, so my new dilemma is deciding if I want the 5th or 6th string tuned to C# and the rest following accordingly.
6th to C# so you have high strings to play fun stuff. Fuck that low F# nonsense, it sounds like muddy crap at best on most sound systems both live and recorded.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:52 pm

6th to C# so you have high strings to play fun stuff. Fuck that low F# nonsense, it sounds like muddy crap at best on most sound systems both live and recorded.
I've got a monster .158 or so string for G#. I had it tuned on my Dingwall and holy shit, it was massive. But my Dingwall is a 37" scale length and lets me tune to those tunings. Thing is I don't really need that higher string, which is what pushes me to possibly tuning again to G# standard
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I bought a Rondo Music Gibson Les Paul knockoff a few years ago... an Agile Dauntless in cherry sunburst with Duncan pickups and decent tuners. I got it for maybe $240 shipped and it's surprisingly good.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:02 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:52 pm

I've got a monster .158 or so string for G#. I had it tuned on my Dingwall and holy shit, it was massive. But my Dingwall is a 37" scale length and lets me tune to those tunings. Thing is I don't really need that higher string, which is what pushes me to possibly tuning again to G# standard
Yeah if you have a long scale and good strings and good amps and good PA's and good mixing it can be pretty badass. We never had that combo in any of my little bands :doe: so even a regular low B tended to sound like crap and lower than that was out of the question. I ended up never really using my 7th string in our songs after noticing that the live sound was terrible when we played that low.
Acid666

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 pm
I bought a Rondo Music Gibson Les Paul knockoff a few years ago... an Agile Dauntless in cherry sunburst with Duncan pickups and decent tuners. I got it for maybe $240 shipped and it's surprisingly good.
Good to hear another positive review. I'm hoping this turns out to be a mediocre purchase that's worth more than the price.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Why not STD tune 1/2 step down?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't really know what you mean. That doesn't really make sense.
Our whole band tunes to C#, so in order to keep a balanced tension on my basses I have to get very specific gauged strings depending on the bass I'm playing it on.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:06 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Our whole band tunes to C#, so in order to keep a balanced tension on my basses I have to get very specific gauged strings depending on the bass I'm playing it on.
Going 1/2 down on your top B. If the rest is in C# keep that.
The top string is going to be super low.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

what kind of music does your band play?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Melon wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:06 pm

He'd still need to drop his low E string down to get to that C#, I believe, which would then put the low B string at a G#..
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:14 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 pm

He'd still need to drop his low E string down to get to that C#, I believe, which would then put the low B string at a G#..
Yeah c# is 1.5 steps down, so the B is going to be 1.5 down as well, making it super bass-y