Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:53 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:40 am

wow, i cant even hate on that. is it in a good hood?

negotiate for the furniture too!

:doit:
I'm assuming that it's rented/staged. Our house was like that.

Dem $500/mo property taxes on a $200k house are pretty :flaccid: :thanksobama: but that's probably what happens if you want to live near that third world lyfe.
Those property taxes are on the cheaper end for a single family house in NJ.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 am
:impressive:

No :eeyore: from the :fax:

:amazing:
I mean, its by far the best thing you've posted in terms of both price, condition, and workspace.

More than I'd want to pay, but overall :notbad:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Needs a fire pit between the house and garage.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Seriously, that's pretty cheap for what it looks like compared to what you have posted.

I would probably make an offer contingent on a home inspection using an inspector of your choice and ask them to be very critical about everything so you have the full story of the guts.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:34 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 am
:impressive:

No :eeyore: from the :fax:

:amazing:
I mean, its by far the best thing you've posted in terms of both price, condition, and workspace.

More than I'd want to pay, but overall :notbad:
I think I'm jaded because I basically stole the house I'm in so everything looks overpriced. Especially with the $$/per square footage.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:43 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:49 am Seriously, that's pretty cheap for what it looks like compared to what you have posted.

I would probably make an offer contingent on a home inspection using an inspector of your choice and ask them to be very critical about everything so you have the full story of the guts.
:dat:

One minor flag that's gone up is that there's no seller's disclosure. So I want to get in and look at the bones before really doing much else.

It was bought in 2016 for $66k - now being relisted after being redone for $214k - so I'd hope it had an extensive overhaul of the chassis.

I just sent some docs over to @Apex 's mortgage guy, since I now need a preapproval letter to even see the house - agent is in the middle of a maternity leave and I'm working with her broker for now, so I don't have the same courtesy she was previously extending to us.

But, motivated to look. Guess we'll see.
That's almost exactly the story from our house, bought at auction in 2013 after some poors got foreclosed on for $93k. Flipperbro went through and re-did the whole interior plus whatever else it needed, then had it staged and sold in 2015 to us for $154k.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:27 am
Woa, this is AWESOME!

Doesn't look like you'd have to do a thing.

:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:43 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:49 am Seriously, that's pretty cheap for what it looks like compared to what you have posted.

One minor flag that's gone up is that there's no seller's disclosure. So I want to get in and look at the bones before really doing much else.

It was bought in 2016 for $66k - now being relisted after being redone for $214k - so I'd hope it had an extensive overhaul of the chassis.

I just sent some docs over to @Apex 's mortgage guy, since I now need a preapproval letter to even see the house - agent is in the middle of a maternity leave and I'm working with her broker for now, so I don't have the same courtesy she was previously extending to us.

But, motivated to look. Guess we'll see.
I noticed that.

Definitely look through the nice shiny new stuff for structural or mechanical condition. Looks to be a thorough refresh which wouldn't have much cause for alarm.

Most buyers do not becase ZOMG POT FILLER OVER THE OVEN
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:17 pm
I noticed that.

Definitely look through the nice shiny new stuff for structural or mechanical condition. Looks to be a thorough refresh which wouldn't have much cause for alarm.

Most buyers do not becase ZOMG POT FILLER OVER THE OVEN
:lolol:

All good. Utilizing a lot of referrals on this - Apex came thru with his mortgage guy, one of the service writers here at work has a good inspector referral.
:bow:
ChrisoftheNorth

In4updates
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:27 amIn4updates
Went and saw the guts today.

The only major red flag that existed was that the main support beam, which was supported by wooden posts... had settled. It has since been jacked up, resupported with steel posts that are anchored into the basement floor and the support beam. All work done by a state certified structural engineer.

The good:
- The garage. Oh the garage. 2 bays, slab is in good condition, and tons of overhead storage and workspace.
- Granite counters in the kitchen are gorgeous and nicely done.
- Nice open layout, lots of natural light on the front, plenty of shade for the bedrooms
- More closet space than expected
- Windows are 90% all new, only older window is the small custom window on the back wall of the master bedroom
- All new electric, house and garage have separate panels and separate electric
- Basement is bone dry, no sign of moisture
- Taxes are LOW. Currently at $3500 prior to rehab, will see a slight adjustment, but since the lot is small and house is small... I'd expect maybe $4-4.5k.

The bad:
- Kitchen cabinets are new, but laminated pressboard
- No bathroom vent fan
- No master bedroom ceiling fan
- HVAC ducting is probably 30-40 years old and should probably all be replaced
- Couple small air gaps in foundation where HVAC lines were a little sloppily installed
- Basement ceiling is a little low
- Kitchen area is over a dirt crawlspace

Other notes:
- Needs new injector pump for washer hookup in basement (being replaced by seller)

Overall... we've got raging :boner: for this place.

Received a text back from the mortgage guy, he says on first glance - we should be good. So, hopefully on Monday we have a proper prequalification, and we're clear to put an offer in pending an inspection by an inspector of our choosing.

I did broach the subject with our landlords, as well... and that's another bridge we'll have to cross as we're on a 2 year lease that ends next April, but hopefully we can utilize our skills to help them re-let the place ASAP and minimize any losses on our end.
Everything in your bad list is no big deal based on your description and can easily be fixed. You might want to talk to your agent about a good offer since the house was purchased so cheap before the flip.. there is likely some room to work on the price if you jump on it.

Hope it all works out for you man..
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:02 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:46 pm
Everything in your bad list is no big deal based on your description and can easily be fixed. You might want to talk to your agent about a good offer since the house was purchased so cheap before the flip.. there is likely some room to work on the price if you jump on it.

Hope it all works out for you man..

Minor stuff, really. I've let my agent know our feelings on the place, waiting on the prequal letter for now.

Hopefully I have something by Monday and we can start rolling :balls: forward.
:fuckyeah: :plaid: :amazing:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Good luck Zil!

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:fuckyeah:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:27 amIn4updates
Went and saw the guts today.

The only major red flag that existed was that the main support beam, which was supported by wooden posts... had settled. It has since been jacked up, resupported with steel posts that are anchored into the basement floor and the support beam. All work done by a state certified structural engineer.

The good:
- The garage. Oh the garage. 2 bays, slab is in good condition, and tons of overhead storage and workspace.
- Granite counters in the kitchen are gorgeous and nicely done.
- Nice open layout, lots of natural light on the front, plenty of shade for the bedrooms
- More closet space than expected
- Windows are 90% all new, only older window is the small custom window on the back wall of the master bedroom
- All new electric, house and garage have separate panels and separate electric
- Basement is bone dry, no sign of moisture
- Taxes are LOW. Currently at $3500 prior to rehab, will see a slight adjustment, but since the lot is small and house is small... I'd expect maybe $4-4.5k.

The bad:
- Kitchen cabinets are new, but laminated pressboard
- No bathroom vent fan
- No master bedroom ceiling fan
- HVAC ducting is probably 30-40 years old and should probably all be replaced
- Couple small air gaps in foundation where HVAC lines were a little sloppily installed
- Basement ceiling is a little low
- Kitchen area is over a dirt crawlspace

Other notes:
- Needs new injector pump for washer hookup in basement (being replaced by seller)

Overall... we've got raging :boner: for this place.

Received a text back from the mortgage guy, he says on first glance - we should be good. So, hopefully on Monday we have a proper prequalification, and we're clear to put an offer in pending an inspection by an inspector of our choosing.

I did broach the subject with our landlords, as well... and that's another bridge we'll have to cross as we're on a 2 year lease that ends next April, but hopefully we can utilize our skills to help them re-let the place ASAP and minimize any losses on our end.
The good sounds damn good. And as for the bad, my comments are in bold:

- Kitchen cabinets are new, but laminated pressboard - At least they're new :aintcare:
- No bathroom vent fan - Can be installed by anyone with a bit of mechanical acumen, i.e., you, in a few hours.
- No master bedroom ceiling fan - Can be installed by anyone with a bit of mechanical acumen, i.e., you, in a few hours.
- HVAC ducting is probably 30-40 years old and should probably all be replaced - I'm confused here. Duct work doesn't "wear out". If anything, maybe joints need to be taped up and any leaks sealed.
- Couple small air gaps in foundation where HVAC lines were a little sloppily installed - A tube of silicon or Great Stuff should fix this
- Basement ceiling is a little low - other than digging out the basement floor to lower it, this is best to just :dealwithit:
- Kitchen area is over a dirt crawlspace - As long as the underside of the kitchen floor and the walls of the crawlspase are insulated, you should be fine. I lived in a house with a family room over a dirt crawl space for 11 years, and my mom for 29 years, and the space was well insulated and the family room above it was no colder in the winter than any other room in the house.

In other words, the good FAR outweigh the bad, so best of luck to you on this one!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:21 pm
wap wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:53 pm

The good sounds damn good. And as for the bad, my comments are in bold:

- Kitchen cabinets are new, but laminated pressboard - At least they're new :aintcare:
- No bathroom vent fan - Can be installed by anyone with a bit of mechanical acumen, i.e., you, in a few hours.
- No master bedroom ceiling fan - Can be installed by anyone with a bit of mechanical acumen, i.e., you, in a few hours.
- HVAC ducting is probably 30-40 years old and should probably all be replaced - I'm confused here. Duct work doesn't "wear out". If anything, maybe joints need to be taped up and any leaks sealed.
- Couple small air gaps in foundation where HVAC lines were a little sloppily installed - A tube of silicon or Great Stuff should fix this
- Basement ceiling is a little low - other than digging out the basement floor to lower it, this is best to just :dealwithit:
- Kitchen area is over a dirt crawlspace - As long as the underside of the kitchen floor and the walls of the crawlspase are insulated, you should be fine. I lived in a house with a family room over a dirt crawl space for 11 years, and my mom for 29 years, and the space was well insulated and the family room above it was no colder in the winter than any other room in the house.

In other words, the good FAR outweigh the bad, so best of luck to you on this one!
Yep, pretty much. Most of the shortcomings can be tackled very easily.

Re: The ductwork. Its not that it wears out but it's essentially sheet metal nailed to the floor joists to channel the airflow in some spots. Bad for flow and inefficient.

Not a huge deal, though; my dad does HVAC for a living. Also, my FIL is a contractor... so a lot of this stuff can be done with their help and for cheap.

Sheeeeit :mahtroy:

You got it all covered.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:26 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Yep, pretty much. Most of the shortcomings can be tackled very easily.

Re: The ductwork. Its not that it wears out but it's essentially sheet metal nailed to the floor joists to channel the airflow in some spots. Bad for flow and inefficient.

Not a huge deal, though; my dad does HVAC for a living. Also, my FIL is a contractor... so a lot of this stuff can be done with their help and for cheap.

Sheeeeit :mahtroy:

You got it all covered.
Go get that shit!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

As much of a financial testicle crusher it is, I really like home ownershit and think it's always worth the effort. Hope it works out Zil-huge!
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:21 pm Yep, pretty much. Most of the shortcomings can be tackled very easily.

Ceiling fan would take you half an hour to install.

98% of houses out there have shit ductwork and inefficient design anyway. And are horribly under insulated. The attic in my 30 year old townhouse has 6" of insulation in the attic over the second floor. When the weather cools off, I'm renting an AtticCat machine and throwing in another 18" of insulation.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:14 am
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:03 am

Ceiling fan would take you half an hour to install.

98% of houses out there have shit ductwork and inefficient design anyway. And are horribly under insulated. The attic in my 30 year old townhouse has 6" of insulation in the attic over the second floor. When the weather cools off, I'm renting an AtticCat machine and throwing in another 18" of insulation.
Would need to run electric to the ceiling - will be a bit more than 30 minutes. The bedrooms have no lights in the ceiling (which I'm OK with, because I hate ceiling lights).

But not a big deal or a deal killer.
sounds like a win man, I hope it pans out for you.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

:fuckyeah: Zil!!!

This is awesome.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:12 pm Offered $205k and seller pays closing, contingent upon inspection by an inspector of our choice. Was going to offer $209k but agent suggested we aim a bit lower.

Waiting for a response, Brexit 1776 will impact the timeline a bit as the seller is away until Wednesday.

In the meantime, I'm dragging my dad and her dad through the place tomorrow morning.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:12 pm
In the meantime, I'm dragging my dad and her dad through the place tomorrow morning.
parents wrote: Its a bit small, no?
You could not raise kids here
how are the schools
too many :mahtroy:
:trollface:
brain go brrrrrr
wap

#fingerscrossed!
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:34 pm :fuckyeah:
2 offers in before us - only thing I can hope for is that ours wasn't the lowest right now. :flaccid:
Dat :dillerman: markup? :disgust: