Melon's Fleet Updating

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:10 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:13 am
My biggest beef with the Taco is the lack of headroom. The floor feels like it's too high or something, it's just not comfortable for a linebacker like myself.
Height/weight?

I'm 6'1 170 and I'm fine but I think my legs might be a little longer than torso. I'll admit its a little awkward at first but no where near what the auto reviews make it out to be
It's awkward for 5 minutes, then your brain re-calibrates and its fine.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:52 am
max225 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:20 am

I said it before and I'll say it again... payments are irrelevant ... that's how people get themselves in financial trouble. Glad you were able to figure it out doe.

We all make mistakes but learning from them is key
:rolleyes:

Payments are NOT irrelevant. I get your point, they don't necessarily change the total cost of ownership. Yes. That is true. But almost no one is rich like you are with unlimited capital. Almost everyone needs transportation and often has to finance to be able to afford it. These people must have a monthly payment that they can pay every month without suffering. The. Payment. Absolutely. Matters. To. 99%ers.

You just don't get that :bruh: .
Bullshit.

You don't need to finance something if all you need is reliable transportation. That's a $2500 Floodrolla.

If you can't come up with $2500 cash you shouldn't buy a car, period.

You "need" to finance stuff because you WANT things that you can't really afford.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:24 am

Payments are NOT irrelevant. I get your point, they don't necessarily change the total cost of ownership. Yes. That is true. But almost no one is rich like you are with unlimited capital. Almost everyone needs transportation and often has to finance to be able to afford it. These people must have a monthly payment that they can pay every month without suffering. The. Payment. Absolutely. Matters. To. 99%ers.

Bullshit.

You don't need to finance something if all you need is reliable transportation. That's a $2500 Floodrolla.

You "need" to finance stuff because you WANT things that you can't really afford.
:dat: too :mahtroy:

Most ppl can't afford a new car every 1-3 years it is immensely expensive. A new car every 10 years is reasonable but everyone here is a :plac: so payments are even less relevant since the number one factor in figuring out if you can afford it is how long you're going to keep it
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:27 am

Bullshit.

Ain't nothing wrong with wanting nice things. Just don't bury yourself to get them.
:dat:
troyguitar

Bullshit.

Ain't nothing wrong with wanting nice things. Just don't bury yourself to get them.
Nothing "wrong" with it at all if you're cool with blowing that kind of money on a luxury, the point was that none of us actually NEED to finance a car. It's a want, not a need.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:14 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:13 am Oh yeah, I agree, it certainly matters... But Max's always saying payments don't matter is obnoxious for those of us that are just regular people and not 33 year old millionaires.
That's bullshit and you're twisting my words. My main focus of these statements is to get people away from the "payment" mentality.

Of course the monthly set cash outflow on things that are variable and controllable like cars matters.

But you have to understand that it isn't your true car expense. Because you are upside down for a few years of ownership. So your $300 payment is really $1000 for year 1 if you were to sell then
700 for year 2 and 500 for year 3.
Now if you can't afford $1000 a month then you better not buy new and flip in a year.
:word: I do agree there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Bullshit.

Ehhh. For you or me, sure.

Say you're a new college grad starting a $40k/year job, no money from parents. How do you come up with $2,500 for the car that you need to get to this job? Also, you or me or most people here could work on an old $2,500 car, many people can't. And really, a reliable $2,500 car is rare. Let's remember your Vibe and Alan's Corolla were bought for more like $6-8k and you have kept them on the road. He's getting rid of it because it's beat to shit now that it's worth $2,500.

Financing is a wonderful thing when done right that is sometimes required in this country. As Max said, people just need to be aware of the big picture, not just the payment amount.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Bullshit.

Say you're a new college grad starting a $40k/year job, no money from parents. How do you come up with $2,500 for the car that you need to get to this job? Also, you or me or most people here could work on an old $2,500 car, many people can't. And really, a reliable $2,500 car is rare. Let's remember your Vibe and Alan's Corolla were bought for more like $6-8k and you have kept them on the road. He's getting rid of it because it's beat to shit now that it's worth $2,500.

Financing is a wonderful thing when done right that is sometimes required in this country. As Max said, people just need to be aware of the big picture, not just the payment amount.
Finance $5k car at stupid interest rate, claim exempt on income taxes and pay the whole thing off in 3 months, then actually save fucking money so you never have to do that again? Maybe spend some weekends learning how to change a light bulb and use a lift thingie instead of spending $100+ a weekend on artisanal kombucha cocktails?

Life doesn't have to be an endless treadmill of making payments on everything.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Bullshit.

:word: It really depends for someone that fresh out of college who is likely mechanically inept, a highly reliable car cheap to own car is likely in order.

IE A corolla or a civic, that's selling for 8-10k... Then you ride that thing into the ground until you make more than 40k a year and can afford something better.

Payment shopping shouldn't be an option at that point you're trying to get yourselves out of a financial rut.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Bullshit.

:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

Back to the thread doe...

When is the timeline for the TRUK move? End of year should be ideal... so time to put the Derpkota up for sale now, save up money while that thing is gone... and then pull the trigger.

What's the all in cost on Derpkota? 9k?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:28 pm Back to the thread doe...

When is the timeline for the TRUK move? End of year should be ideal... so time to put the Derpkota up for sale now, save up money while that thing is gone... and then pull the trigger.

What's the all in cost on Derpkota? 9k?
I think :melon: mentioned he was looking at maybe October/November for the new truck? Should be some :dill: around then and gives him time to get Big Green up for sale and some cash in hand.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Best :dill: s will be in the November/December timeframe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

There's 2018's hitting the lots now, going to take a look at a Marine Blue truck when I get a chance. As of right now, I'll be working all weekend again, so no go for this weekend.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

*looks at calendar*

Holy shit its almost September

I've had my car 9 months. :mindblown:

Melon you should wait until end of November to get it. Wait till the 2017s are basically gone and they've resorted to discounting the 2018s to get more units moving.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:15 pm *looks at calendar*

Melon you should wait until end of November to get it. Wait till the 2017s are basically gone and they've resorted to discounting the 2018s to get more units moving.
Dem 3000 miles doe :hue:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Just rolled over 3k, yas. :dealwithit:

I wonder what a lease would be like if I only wanted 5k miles/yr...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Just rolled over 3k, yas. :dealwithit:

I wonder what a lease would be like if I only wanted 5k miles/yr...
$12
ChrisoftheNorth

Ultra-low mileage leases (under 10k) aren't really that great, surprisingly. Most leasing companies don't even offer it because it doesn't matter.

And righfully so...the depreciation happens the second you drive it off the lot. Mileage doesn't really matter. The national average is 15k, so anything 10 and under might as well be the same.

I've looked into it. I could do a 5k/year lease on a truck, but there's no benefit to it really...maybe a few bucks a month if that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

:dillerman: :dill: We've been waiting for you Johnny. When can you come in and trade your very used Subaru. The safety of a full warranty, new car smell, the lastest tech........ :). We've got the right payment terms just for you!! :)
max225

Davestr wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:43 pm

:dillerman: :dill: We've been waiting for you Johnny. When can you come in and trade your very used Subaru. The safety of a full warranty, new car smell, the lastest tech........ :). We've got the right payment terms just for you!! :)
KEEP YOUR SAME PAYMENT AND DRIVE A BRAND NEW CAR :jizz: :jizz: :jizz: :jizz: :jizz:
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:42 pm Ultra-low mileage leases (under 10k) aren't really that great, surprisingly. Most leasing companies don't even offer it because it doesn't matter.

And righfully so...the depreciation happens the second you drive it off the lot. Mileage doesn't really matter. The national average is 15k, so anything 10 and under might as well be the same.

I've looked into it. I could do a 5k/year lease on a truck, but there's no benefit to it really...maybe a few bucks a month if that.
Mini used to run these ultra low mile leases for city folk, and they were very decent. Honestly, 5k miles a year is nothing... might as well walk at that point.

Most leases are 10k miles, since it allows to CPO the car, 15k miles starts to get expensive.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:51 pm

KEEP YOUR SAME PAYMENT AND DRIVE A BRAND NEW CAR :jizz: :jizz: :jizz: :jizz: :jizz:
:troywax:
Johnny_P

Fuck yes where do I sign???
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Fuck yes where do I sign???
The pen's free :)