Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:16 pm Tried to watch that Doug video... I just hate his reviews so much :lolol:
You just find him annoying ? Voice/face etc?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:11 pm Frankly I think Toyota/Subaru are crazy to have the R86 starting sub $30K, but it's :nice: nonetheless.
Don’t get price conditioned so quickly. Current environment of insane car values is unlikely to last past the middle of next year. I think the brz is reasonably priced. More on this in my Soviet car thread…
While the woman does some work I’ll write up a review for the slowmaro.
:iono: I mean I hope so... but I suspect the 'madness ending' will just result in things flattening out wherever they are and not continuing to rise like crazy. :remember: the :thankstrump: tariffs of 2018/2019. Tons of companies had to 'pass on costs to the consumer' with promises to lower as things changed, no one is lowering shit on prices.

Honda, VW, Tessie, you name it, have all raised prices, Si is just one example. You better believe they won't be lowering them as the supply chain improves.

I think the 86/BRZ is crazy cheap just considering it's an entirely bespoke platform that sells in very low volumes, shocking they are even replacing it, let alone at a price that's cheaper than almost anything in the real world now.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:55 am

So daddy Doug did an 86. I am actually really :notsure: about the glued on “ducktail” initially I thought it was the better looking variant but now the Subaru is growing on me more.

It’s interesting if you just look at the center of the car and ignore the front and rear fasciae the car looks identical to the last gen.

Kinda funny he is flooring it on the on ramp, and getting passed by what looks like a CC at 13:00
:lolgasm:

Still a great improvement to the last car. Much like
I really can't stand Doug. I find his delivery super annoying.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:21 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:55 am

So daddy Doug did an 86. I am actually really :notsure: about the glued on “ducktail” initially I thought it was the better looking variant but now the Subaru is growing on me more.

It’s interesting if you just look at the center of the car and ignore the front and rear fasciae the car looks identical to the last gen.

Kinda funny he is flooring it on the on ramp, and getting passed by what looks like a CC at 13:00
:lolgasm:

Still a great improvement to the last car. Much like
:dat:

He used to be pretty cool when he was making a variety of videos about funny stuff like RR warranty repairs through carmax, dailying a Viper in Philly, etc. His reviews are just so bad, production quality is nonexistent and he focuses on the dumbest stuff, like how many GR badges are on the car. It's a driver's car, other reviewers focus on... the driving dynamics, which is the point. I don't need four minutes on badge locations.

I do like him as a guy though, I think he could be a great podcaster and Cars and Bids is a dece alternative to BaT. His reviews are just :disgust:
max225

I still find his reviews to be the best out of all of youtube. No point in "production" value + splooging at track times or some other various things at least in my case. Straightpipes are a close second for me but, I feel like they actually are starting to get really full of themselves and started to drop off in my car reviewer hierachy.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:56 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:21 pm

I've found someone with a more annoying delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdOjj7 ... BOHuN4xY4A

I find Doug mildly annoying as well, but I enjoy that he appreciates "quirks and features" much the way I do, so for that he gains my attention.
:lol: We must have been hit with the same algorythm. Elvira is kinda hot.. but kinda not... and I did watch a few of her things randomly last week. Never knew of her before this. She can be kinda funny but at the same time super "Dry" in her delivery.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 pm I still find his reviews to be the best out of all of youtube. No point in "production" value + splooging at track times or some other various things at least in my case. Straightpipes are a close second for me but, I feel like they actually are starting to get really full of themselves and started to drop off in my car reviewer hierachy.
Doug is the most detailed and with the least :bs: and production. I appreciate that, but agree that he's a bit annoying.

Someone with his sort of access to cars could do better just by not being annoying, but it's a fine line between annoying and boring.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:21 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:42 am Interesting stuff, I was coding my halogen tail lamps back into the :gorf: this weekend and had fat fingered one of the settings :wrong: leaving the far right tall lamp illuminated even when the others were off. The edits were written down on loose leaf paper in reverse order from a shopdap video that shows how to code the LED set, and I guess I heard the sequence incorrectly or wrote it down while suffering from dyslexia.

It triggered a check engine light, so I found the correct setting on the interwebz and scanned my errors to clear them. It turns out that I had three errors stored:
Central electronics displayed the 1) "incorrect programming fault" that i originally created and fixed; and 2) a faulty rear driver door lock mechanism (which I heard acting up recently).
Engine module had 3) a low current alarm from O2 sensor, which is the check engine light that was :triggered: a couple of weeks back and cleared itself a day or two later.

For now it's intermittent, but it sounds like two things the next owner will probably have to deal with down the road. :ohwell: , I feel okay about kissing the car goodbye, it's going to start showing it's age soon and I don't feel like entertaining tired electronic components.
Yep, sounds like it is starting to show it's age. Perfect timing to move on :aintcare: before the thing makes you :rage:
:Hellyeah: later gator, each "warranty fix" under extended still has a $100 deductible, and I'm going to try not to put any more money into it. I have a buyer for the exhaust, just need to figure out if I'll be able to peel it off on my own or pay a shop to :doit: I think it was clamped and the adaptor needed to be hammered on. Hours were spent doing it with my tools, so I'll just pay for that service.

Nothing the car is causing will be a showstopper, but the person fixing them needs to love the car, or it is a burden. I'm happy to :nope: out on this juan.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I really like watching Doug's reviews, no issue with the badge identifications but I do find it comical that it is one of the main reasons people watch his reviews. It's a trademark of his at this point, so whatever works. His delivery is pretty good, and I'm not annoyed by it yet.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:44 pm
Doug is the most detailed and with the least :bs: and production. I appreciate that, but agree that he's a bit annoying.

Someone with his sort of access to cars could do better just by not being annoying, but it's a fine line between annoying and boring.
Thoughts on Savagegeese?
See, I think I actually like Doug as a dude more than those, but their vids tend to be beautiful works of art, and I really appreciate that. :iono: I am spending my time ingesting this shit, production quality is :nice:

I could have camping chairs in my living room and they would still provide a place for my ass, but having furniture looks nice and makes it pleasant to spend time in the room. Production quality makes videos pleasant to spend time watching.

Also, Savageese actually talk about what I care about personally in cars. I guess Doug does offer a lot of info on any given car for those who care most about vent shape, badge placement, and other stuff.

I am all about the trackdaybro capability and shifter feel and shit like that.
ChrisoftheNorth

Thoughts on Savagegeese?
Gorgeous, but still not the same attention to detail. Some of the shit Doug points out is :butwhy: but I really appreciate the thoroughness. If you can make it through one of his videos, you'll know just about every aspect of the car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:06 pm

Thoughts on Savagegeese?
See, I think I actually like Doug as a dude more than those, but their vids tend to be beautiful works of art, and I really appreciate that. :iono: I am spending my time ingesting this shit, production quality is :nice:

I could have camping chairs in my living room and they would still provide a place for my ass, but having furniture looks nice and makes it pleasant to spend time in the room. Production quality makes videos pleasant to spend time watching.

Also, Savageese actually talk about what I care about personally in cars. I guess Doug does offer a lot of info on any given car for those who care most about vent shape, badge placement, and other stuff.

Shifter effort, steering feel, etc is highly subjective. :plac: determined that his S3 has better steering feel than the GTI when driving 25mph. There's zero way to conclude that at that speed, he has no idea what he's talking about (no shit, right?).

But unless someone is really manhandling something around a track, it's all just subjective opinion that will vary from person to person. 99% of youtubers drive on public roads, so you're just getting some dude's personality.

Sure, Doug will add his opinion, but most of the time (His Blazer video was horrible) it's a pretty objective deep dive of the entire vehicle.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:21 am
Yep, sounds like it is starting to show it's age. Perfect timing to move on :aintcare: before the thing makes you :rage:
:Hellyeah: later gator, each "warranty fix" under extended still has a $100 deductible, and I'm going to try not to put any more money into it. I have a buyer for the exhaust, just need to figure out if I'll be able to peel it off on my own or pay a shop to :doit: I think it was clamped and the adaptor needed to be hammered on. Hours were spent doing it with my tools, so I'll just pay for that service.

Nothing the car is causing will be a showstopper, but the person fixing them needs to love the car, or it is a burden. I'm happy to :nope: out on this juan.
Yea, the warranty deductibles will start to add up, which I find going to the dealer at all to be a hassle. It's more about the hassle of dealing with a car breaking than the cost to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:06 pm

Shifter effort, steering feel, etc is highly subjective. :plac: determined that his S3 has better steering feel than the GTI when driving 25mph. There's zero way to conclude that at that speed, he has no idea what he's talking about (no shit, right?).

But unless someone is really manhandling something around a track, it's all just subjective opinion that will vary from person to person. 99% of youtubers drive on public roads, so you're just getting some dude's personality.

Sure, Doug will add his opinion, but most of the time (His Blazer video was horrible) it's a pretty objective deep dive of the entire vehicle.
True, but if you watch the same guys and you've driven a few cars they've driven, you can start to understand their perspective and that says a lot. For example, I have followed Everyday Driver for years, I really like their stuff. The two guys, Paul and Todd, have really different perspectives. I tend to align more with Todd and I can take what they say and get a lot out of it on how the subjective things will feel to me, particularly noting where they have differing opinions.

Subjective or not, I am never going to get the opportunity to test drive something like a GR86 or Civic Si on canyon roads, tracks, or anything close to a fun drive, all I can really learn about the dynamics on a test drive is how the inputs feel. Journalists comparisons and opinions certainly help me understand which cars I will and won't enjoy driving. Doug's info is stuff I could gain from just spending time in the car in a show room or auto show. It is valuable to many (probably most) people, even on this forum I seem to be a bit :unicorn: in caring more about the car drives than its features, but it is what it is. :aintcare: about where the badges are or what brand of toothpaste tube can fit in the panel gap.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:52 am
RLWake wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:25 pm :cheese: is dead. Long live :cheese:.

He gone later this week. Sold.

Sorry that I haven’t been posting. I have a new career going here and it’s hella busy.
:pouroneout:

What did you wind up getting? IIRC you were looking at Hyundai Ns, GR86, some other stuff.
Maaaybe.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
max225

Thoughts on Savagegeese?
He is alright. But sometimes he rants into oblivion. He is also high on opinions and low on facts IMO
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:38 pm

True, but if you watch the same guys and you've driven a few cars they've driven, you can start to understand their perspective and that says a lot. For example, I have followed Everyday Driver for years, I really like their stuff. The two guys, Paul and Todd, have really different perspectives. I tend to align more with Todd and I can take what they say and get a lot out of it on how the subjective things will feel to me, particularly noting where they have differing opinions.

Subjective or not, I am never going to get the opportunity to test drive something like a GR86 or Civic Si on canyon roads, tracks, or anything close to a fun drive, all I can really learn about the dynamics on a test drive is how the inputs feel. Journalists comparisons and opinions certainly help me understand which cars I will and won't enjoy driving. Doug's info is stuff I could gain from just spending time in the car in a show room or auto show. It is valuable to many (probably most) people, even on this forum I seem to be a bit :unicorn: in caring more about the car drives than its features, but it is what it is. :aintcare: about where the badges are or what brand of toothpaste tube can fit in the panel gap.
I take offense to that last statement. I think every single person here cares which is what bonds us to share opinions here. We may care about different things but it’s a very dismissive statement to claim that you’re a :unicorn: and the rest of us play with YouTube on the infotainment screen watching Doug Jack off to 4 million dollar rides.

I frankly take an opinion of someone here way over someone like savageese or anyone else on YouTube for that matter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:54 pm

I take offense to that last statement. I think every single person here cares which is what bonds us to share opinions here. We may care about different things but it’s a very dismissive statement to claim that you’re a :unicorn: and the rest of us play with YouTube on the infotainment screen watching Doug Jack off to 4 million dollar rides.

I frankly take an opinion of someone here way over someone like savageese or anyone else on YouTube for that matter.
You're right and that's fair. We are indeed all car guys, but :iono: , some do care a lot about things like buttons/vent shape more than others. Nothing :wrong: with that either way. I just hate Doug's driving impressions. I do think guys like Savagegeese, Smoking Tire, Everyday Driver, Jonny Lieberman/the big mags, Throttle House, etc. who have spent a lot of time on track and high performance driving are pretty well suited to evaluate performance and feel as best as is possible. I certainly can articulate and notice nuances of vehicle dynamics a lot more after getting a bunch of track days under my belt and driving a lot more cars than I had 5-10 years ago.
max225

Jason Camisa is the only guy who I somewhat trust on driving dynamics. Everyone else tends to blow a lot of hot smoke up peoples YouTube’s.

I always take those reviews with a grain of :salt:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:22 pm

You're right and that's fair. We are indeed all car guys, but :iono: , some do care a lot about things like buttons/vent shape more than others. Nothing :wrong: with that either way. I just hate Doug's driving impressions. I do think guys like Savagegeese, Smoking Tire, Everyday Driver, Jonny Lieberman/the big mags, Throttle House, etc. who have spent a lot of time on track and high performance driving are pretty well suited to evaluate performance and feel as best as is possible. I certainly can articulate and notice nuances of vehicle dynamics a lot more after getting a bunch of track days under my belt and driving a lot more cars than I had 5-10 years ago.
You just listed my favorite sources… add Jason Cammisa to that and you’ve got my daily car feed.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:17 pm

You just listed my favorite sources… add Jason Cammisa to that and you’ve got my daily car feed.
Yep, Camisa is great.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:16 pm Jason Camisa is the only guy who I somewhat trust on driving dynamics. Everyone else tends to blow a lot of hot smoke up peoples YouTube’s.

His GR86/GTI “best $30k Porsche” video this summer was some of the best automotive media I’ve seen in years. Hagerty hit home run with this guy’s stuff.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:58 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:16 pm Jason Camisa is the only guy who I somewhat trust on driving dynamics. Everyone else tends to blow a lot of hot smoke up peoples YouTube’s.

His GR86/GTI “best $30k Porsche” video this summer was some of the best automotive media I’ve seen in years. Hagerty hit home run with this guy’s stuff.
:dat: given the recent poorsche experience he is spot on
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:58 pm

:dat:

It's awesome to have a guy like that with the financial backing of an insurance company. I really like the stuff Hagerty is doing.