DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Jaxper wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:15 pm

How much do you weigh brah?
Lately, with a bunch of parties/cookouts/family being home/etc, I'm around 200. Usually hover between 192-196 though, not that it's too far off.
195 with a 225 OHP would be strong AF, same with your 405 squat. Have you had your body fat percentage tested? There can't be much on you.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Lately, with a bunch of parties/cookouts/family being home/etc, I'm around 200. Usually hover between 192-196 though, not that it's too far off.
195 with a 225 OHP would be strong AF, same with your 405 squat. Have you had your body fat percentage tested? There can't be much on you.
:dat: Panda be strong like bull.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:36 pm
Hah, definitely lost some strength when I wasn't pushing things too hard while learning the Oly lifts. That said, I hope to be back there soon! I haven't had it checked before, but in my completely unprofessional opinion, I would venture a guess at a healthy 16-19%. I definitely carry around a bit of fat all over, primarily my abdomen.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Jaxper wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:36 pm
Hah, definitely lost some strength when I wasn't pushing things too hard while learning the Oly lifts. That said, I hope to be back there soon! I haven't had it checked before, but in my completely unprofessional opinion, I would venture a guess at a healthy 16-19%. I definitely carry around a bit of fat all over, primarily my abdomen.
Send noodz and I'll give you a second unprofessional :dong: opinion.

I wonder what mine is at. A friend measured it for me at 10% a few months ago, but I don't think he was pinching the fat all the way. My guess based on the mirror would be 12-15%
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

This fat fuck is putting in gym time. I started a log book before I went to FL for a family trip so I've got a plan moving forward. Hopefully I'll be able to report some decent gains (and losses), at the moment I'm at ground zero. :popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 pm This fat fuck is putting in gym time. I started a log book before I went to FL for a family trip so I've got a plan moving forward. Hopefully I'll be able to report some decent gains (and losses), at the moment I'm at ground zero. :popcorn:
:fuckyeah: :whalecum:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So, anyone have tips for lifting routines for my gf? Probably 2-3 times per week, maybe three different days or probably ideally just hitting everything in one day. She is pretty active, does cycle classes, runs, etc. but wants to start doing some weight training and is kind of intimidated. :notsure: where to start for a basic female :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 pm This fat fuck is putting in gym time. I started a log book before I went to FL for a family trip so I've got a plan moving forward. Hopefully I'll be able to report some decent gains (and losses), at the moment I'm at ground zero. :popcorn:
:fuckyeah: :whalecum:
:fuckyeah: thanks!
D Griff wrote:So, anyone have tips for lifting routines for my gf? Probably 2-3 times per week, maybe three different days or probably ideally just hitting everything in one day. She is pretty active, does cycle classes, runs, etc. but wants to start doing some weight training and is kind of intimidated. :notsure: where to start for a basic female Image
Just hoping she doesn't lift more than me Imageol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

She won't :lolol:

She's not that strong and is very intimidated by weights.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It's a start. Will report back if I make something of myself, for now all I can say is that it feels great to :doit: Image
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:29 pm So, anyone have tips for lifting routines for my gf? Probably 2-3 times per week, maybe three different days or probably ideally just hitting everything in one day. She is pretty active, does cycle classes, runs, etc. but wants to start doing some weight training and is kind of intimidated. :notsure: where to start for a basic female :lol:
I'd have her do a three day starting strength routine, then if the idea of going "heavy" for 3x5 or 5x5 is too intimidating you can have her do like 3x10 on the compound lifts, then like a 12-15 rep scheme on the assistance work.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:29 pm So, anyone have tips for lifting routines for my gf? Probably 2-3 times per week, maybe three different days or probably ideally just hitting everything in one day. She is pretty active, does cycle classes, runs, etc. but wants to start doing some weight training and is kind of intimidated. :notsure: where to start for a basic female :lol:
I'd have her do a three day starting strength routine, then if the idea of going "heavy" for 3x5 or 5x5 is too intimidating you can have her do like 3x10 on the compound lifts, then like a 12-15 rep scheme on the assistance work.
I was thinking something like that or 5X5. She certainly isn't looking to get huge or super strong, more just general fitness /toning, but to me a basic barbell program is still best.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I'd say start her on a trimmed down version of 5/3/1 (starting with an empty barbell, or even dumbbells for the main lifts) with more machine focus on the accessories (to avoid the barbell intimidation that new females tend to have). 5/3/1 hits all the basics without forcing weight increases at the beginning.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:35 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:56 pm

I was thinking something like that or 5X5. She certainly isn't looking to get huge or super strong, more just general fitness /toning, but to me a basic barbell program is still best.
Yeah that's why I was thinking the 3x10 might be better than 5x5 for her. Follow the 5x5/starting strength 3 day routine, but just change the rep schemes for her. I'd place an emphasis on legs and shoulders first, then back and arms, and chest lastly. Maybe only have her train chest once a week, and try to hit everything else 2-3 times. If she's down to do a good 45 minutes of lifting 3x a week and follow it up with 15 minutes of cardio, she could build just a bit of muscle and burn a little fat to get the toned look she wants.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:10 pm

Yeah that's why I was thinking the 3x10 might be better than 5x5 for her. Follow the 5x5/starting strength 3 day routine, but just change the rep schemes for her. I'd place an emphasis on legs and shoulders first, then back and arms, and chest lastly. Maybe only have her train chest once a week, and try to hit everything else 2-3 times. If she's down to do a good 45 minutes of lifting 3x a week and follow it up with 15 minutes of cardio, she could build just a bit of muscle and burn a little fat to get the toned look she wants.
:jimp:

This will probably be better. I think the whole AMRAP thing and math part of 531 might be a little much for her for an introduction. Hopefully we can hit the gym this weekend and get something going.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This will probably be better. I think the whole AMRAP thing and math part of 531 might be a little much for her for an introduction. Hopefully we can hit the gym this weekend and get something going.
SAWCE

I'm going to start squatting every day as part of my warm up for lifting. Nothing heavy at all. The thing I was reading that was encouraging it was saying to take half of your normal 10 rep weight, and use that as your heaviest set. You do 10 sets total. First four sets are body weight, then I'd do 2x8x95, 2x5x115, and 2x3x135. I figure each month I'll add a little bit of weight, like 5-10lbs. The people that have been doing it say their squat has gotten way better just from all the light weight practice as long as they're making sure they hit those sets with the proper form and mindset that they would a heavy working set.
Last edited by SAWCE on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Yeah dude. Start with 3 X10. I mean, if she does Squats, is she sore the next day? How sore? You don't want to get into ZOMG I can't fucking move I hate you Dan sore, but sore=progress. Find the right weight and move up slowly at first, then when her muscle groups start getting acclimated, she could try 5/3/1. That's my advice anyway. The first time I did squats I couldn't walk up stairs the next day and I thought "This is great!" The ladies are not always on board with that kind of jumping right in.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Yeah dude. Start with 3 X10. I mean, if she does Squats, is she sore the next day? How sore? You don't want to get into ZOMG I can't fucking move I hate you Dan sore, but sore=progress. Find the right weight and move up slowly at first, then when her muscle groups start getting acclimated, she could try 5/3/1. That's my advice anyway. The first time I did squats I couldn't walk up stairs the next day and I thought "This is great!" The ladies are not always on board with that kind of jumping right in.
:dat: I'd encourage her to add some extra protein into her diet. Don't have her drink protein shakes if she's not interested in them, but when you guys cook dinner or lunch or whatever, try cooking up just a little more meat and giving her a larger portion than she's used to. It'll be especially good if you can get her to swap a little bit of carbs or fat for an equal amount of protein. The extra protein will mean being less sore, and the reduced carbs or fat will help with weightloss even though she's eating the same number of calories each day.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I partially agree with this. I'd put legs, shoulders, and back in the top tier - legs for obvious reasons, back and shoulders to support dem boobies) - then arms and chest as secondary.

Something like this would work well for a VERY basic structure:

Day 1:
Legs (Squats)
Back (DL or a variant (like straight leg))
Shoulders (DB press)

Day 2:
Chest (Bench/incline)
Back (Rows (barbell or cable))
Arms (Curls, tricep pressdown)

Day 3:
Legs (Split squat or lunges)
Shoulders (All variants of delt flyes)
Back (hamstring curls)

Play around with the lift choices, rep schemes, and add in appropriate accessories.
The panda hath arrived.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:36 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:15 pm

:dat: I'd encourage her to add some extra protein into her diet. Don't have her drink protein shakes if she's not interested in them, but when you guys cook dinner or lunch or whatever, try cooking up just a little more meat and giving her a larger portion than she's used to. It'll be especially good if you can get her to swap a little bit of carbs or fat for an equal amount of protein. The extra protein will mean being less sore, and the reduced carbs or fat will help with weightloss even though she's eating the same number of calories each day.
I believe Dan-O has this part covered. :hubba:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I should probably pay attention to these deets. 5/7 n00b advice.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:57 pm

:fuckyeah:

Good advice though, gents. I think she'll like it and I know she wants to like it, so I just want to give her something approachable that she'll stick with instead of rage quitting due to excess or whatever. We'll probably begin with just the bar for squats/bench/rows... not sure if I'm going to advise her to do the dead lift, she's rather against it since I hurt my back.

As for the protein thing... well, we might have to get creative with that. I tend to go heavier on meats when cooking, for example, we make drunken noodles a lot and I normally double the chicken and halve the noodles, so it's mostly chicken and veggies, she's all for the veggies but usually ends up depositing some of the extra chicken on my plate. She's a pretty healthy eater at least though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:57 pm

:fuckyeah:

Good advice though, gents. I think she'll like it and I know she wants to like it, so I just want to give her something approachable that she'll stick with instead of rage quitting due to excess or whatever. We'll probably begin with just the bar for squats/bench/rows... not sure if I'm going to advise her to do the dead lift, she's rather against it since I hurt my back.

As for the protein thing... well, we might have to get creative with that. I tend to go heavier on meats when cooking, for example, we make drunken noodles a lot and I normally double the chicken and halve the noodles, so it's mostly chicken and veggies, she's all for the veggies but usually ends up depositing some of the extra chicken on my plate. She's a pretty healthy eater at least though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Double post, :fuckyeah: