It's Not Easy Being (a darker shade of) Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:55 am I was completely underwhelmed with ceramic coating on my ZR2 that spent its entire life outside. It really didn't last much longer than a normal wax.

My :poorvette: however, was fantastic. I ceramic coated it once in 3 years and even to the day I sold it, it looked :mindblown: awesome.

I've concluded that DIY ceramic coating (I used CQuartz) is best for vehicles that live inside. Lasts WAY longer than wax. If they're outside...the longevity just isn't there to be worth the hassle.

With my vehicles being garaged now, I might ceramic coat them. But I'll probably skip the hassle and just do wax.

I've heard that the ceramic coating done by professionals is WAY better, but then you're looking at a rather :waxer: proposition then.
Interesting.
It's sixty bucks. It's a lot better than wax. Plus it forces you to make the car as perfect as possible to coat, which is part of the value.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 am

Interesting.
It's sixty bucks. It's a lot better than wax. Plus it forces you to make the car as perfect as possible to coat, which is part of the value.
How is it better than wax if it lasts just as long? I guess if you're going to make the car as perfect as possible anyway, sure...but I wouldn't expect it to last longer than wax if it's a vehicle sitting outside all the time.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:06 pm

How is it better than wax if it lasts just as long? I guess if you're going to make the car as perfect as possible anyway, sure...but I wouldn't expect it to last longer than wax if it's a vehicle sitting outside all the time.
:notwrong:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Troy you could stop at AR Detailing in Canandaigua and have Anthony give you a quote, or there's places up in Rochester like Arete, and Titan Motorworks. I figured AR is close enough that you can drive there and get a quote in person which is probably best.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 pm I think things have advanced beyond CQuartz these days: https://procarreviews.com/best-ceramic-coating/
:notsure:

There's a bunch out there, but I don't think I'd waste the time and money to trust them unless I had a vehicle that was garaged all the time.

Mine are, so I'm on the fence.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Maybe it's just due to apartment life and trackdaybro life, but I just don't care as much about having perfect paint as I used to. I still keep a quite clean interior and nice exterior, but life is honestly easier being a bit :aintcare: . My vehicles are fairly cheap anyway.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:Maybe it's just due to apartment life and trackdaybro life, but I just don't care as much about having perfect paint as I used to. I still keep a quite clean interior and nice exterior, but life is honestly easier being a bit :aintcare: . My vehicles are fairly cheap anyway.
That's the fundamental question here... Do I care enough to pay someone $500 to do this ceramic shit? The wife's car never gets anything beyond automatic washes and still looks pretty decent. Perhaps that's good enough.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:21 pm
D Griff wrote:Maybe it's just due to apartment life and trackdaybro life, but I just don't care as much about having perfect paint as I used to. I still keep a quite clean interior and nice exterior, but life is honestly easier being a bit :aintcare: . My vehicles are fairly cheap anyway.
That's the fundamental question here... Do I care enough to pay someone $500 to do this ceramic shit? The wife's car never gets anything beyond automatic washes and still looks pretty decent. Perhaps that's good enough.
If it only cost $500 for the ceramic stuff I'd do it too. I don't think it's anywhere near that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

$500/year is kind of a lot... but that green is hawt and it's brand new and rare. I'd be torn too. I'd probably just say fuck the :narc: and do it myself at the house on the next sunny day... highs around 50 should make it OKish.
Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 pm I think things have advanced beyond CQuartz these days: https://procarreviews.com/best-ceramic-coating/
Dat 84 month one doe.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:02 pm $500/year is kind of a lot... but that green is hawt and it's brand new and rare. I'd be torn too. I'd probably just say fuck the :narc: and do it myself at the house on the next sunny day... highs around 50 should make it OKish.
There might not be any sunny days left tbh
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:05 pm Maybe it's just due to apartment life and trackdaybro life, but I just don't care as much about having perfect paint as I used to. I still keep a quite clean interior and nice exterior, but life is honestly easier being a bit :aintcare: . My vehicles are fairly cheap anyway.
It's a losing battle without a garage.

I have given almost 0 fucks with the :jeep:

I'm expecting the Trailcock to show up swirled to hell. I guess we'll see.
I’m pretty ZFG with the :truk: but it could use a good detail to get most of the pinstriping out.
troyguitar

This is the only place that's remotely close to me and even mentions anything about ceramics:

https://cooksdetailing.com/

Dunno, I think I'll probably say fuck it for now. If I ever get a garage, I can clean the thing up at that time.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 pm This is the only place that's remotely close to me and even mentions anything about ceramics:

Dunno, I think I'll probably say fuck it for now. If I ever get a garage, I can clean the thing up at that time.
Wait until after winter then get a buff and coating.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 pm
Dat 84 month one doe.
I have 0% faith in that estimate. So many cermaic coatings popped up over night, I have a hard time believing they're much different from one another. I think companies see dollar signs when they can charge $60+ for a tiny bottle of something.

I'd just wash and wax the thing on the next nice day, then do it again in the spring. Way cheaper and easier with likely the same outcome.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 pm This is the only place that's remotely close to me and even mentions anything about ceramics:

Just throw a coat of wax on it for a bit of protection. Small car, won't take long.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:53 am

Just throw a coat of wax on it for a bit of protection. Small car, won't take long.
:dat:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:

Car wash will take that off in a week :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Just throw a coat of wax on it for a bit of protection. Small car, won't take long.
Car wash will take that off in a week :doe:
Will it? I don't take my vehicle to car washes. Most I do is the DIY wash every so often, but you're better off just leaving it alone. Dry salt doesn't corrode like wet salt does.
troyguitar

Dry salt gets everywhere... and becomes wet salt when it snows/rains.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:30 pm Dry salt gets everywhere... and becomes wet salt when it snows/rains.
When it snows/rains, the wet salt gets everywhere anyway. So wash or not, it doesn't really matter IMO. Some sort of rust prevention like Fluid Film helps the most.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:16 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:30 pm Dry salt gets everywhere... and becomes wet salt when it snows/rains.
When it snows/rains, the wet salt gets everywhere anyway. So wash or not, it doesn't really matter IMO. Some sort of rust prevention like Fluid Film helps the most.
I mean I don't want dry salt all over my clothes and whatnot, so the car will get run through the wash regardless of anything else I do on the detailing front.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:55 am I was completely underwhelmed with ceramic coating on my ZR2 that spent its entire life outside. It really didn't last much longer than a normal wax.

My :poorvette: however, was fantastic. I ceramic coated it once in 3 years and even to the day I sold it, it looked :mindblown: awesome.

I've concluded that DIY ceramic coating (I used CQuartz) is best for vehicles that live inside. Lasts WAY longer than wax. If they're outside...the longevity just isn't there to be worth the hassle.

With my vehicles being garaged now, I might ceramic coat them. But I'll probably skip the hassle and just do wax.

I've heard that the ceramic coating done by professionals is WAY better, but then you're looking at a rather :waxer: proposition then.
:dat:

I've had the same results with my cars using the DIY CQuartz. The pro stuff held up for a couple of years though. I dont care for it and just wash and wax a few times per year.

I spray the bottom of my car at Krown for $60 annually but dont let them do inside the panels or engine bay. It would void my rust protection warranty :fullretard: , don't know why.. maybe the shit can clog drain ports?? Get them to use the really liquidy oil not the thick waxy stuff.
troyguitar

Krown is $130 here. :nope:

I'm just going to use the automatic wash and call it good enough. That $130 pays for weekly washes.

The real questions will be whether to fuck with speakers or exhaust upgrades. I plugged the dumb sound tube piping noise into the cabin yesterday and that had mixed results. It's a good amount less noisy now, but you can hear that the stock exhaust sounds pretty lame. It might be better with the tube open.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My friend has the BROla axle back that was :dillerman: installed, it sounds pretty good and not too loud.