Remodeling costs/finding a contractor etc

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

For those of you that have done a major reno, can you share some guidelines? And how you went about doing it?

Given the price of real estate around here and the lowerish mortgage rate, it seems cost conscious to do a remodel vs buying a nicer property.

I have seen something around $450 a sq foot out here as the "all in cost". This would be around 900k... which would be longer cost advantageous in my neighborhood.

Any ideas what I can get done for around 200?
Would love to do
New Hvac
New Electrical
New Bathroooms x2
New Kitchen

What are some good websites for cost estimates/resources for finding local contractors to do the work?
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

this is a terrible idea with a 0 year old. live in your damn house.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:23 pm For those of you that have done a major reno, can you share some guidelines? And how you went about doing it?

Given the price of real estate around here and the lowerish mortgage rate, it seems cost conscious to do a remodel vs buying a nicer property.

I have seen something around $450 a sq foot out here as the "all in cost". This would be around 900k... which would be longer cost advantageous in my neighborhood.

Would love to do
New Hvac
New Electrical
New Bathroooms x2
New Kitchen

What are some good websites for cost estimates/resources for finding local contractors to do the work?
Don't you have some brahs up there who have some recommendations for contractors. HVAC should run you $13-15K. What kind of "new electrical" Bathrooms 1 at a time ok. On the kitchen Brad has a SRS point.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:39 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:23 pm For those of you that have done a major reno, can you share some guidelines? And how you went about doing it?

Would love to do
New Hvac
New Electrical
New Bathroooms x2
New Kitchen

Don't you have some brahs up there who have some recommendations for contractors. HVAC should run you $13-15K. What kind of "new electrical" Bathrooms 1 at a time ok. On the kitchen Brad has a SRS point.
I do have one... but he is somewhat based in a more expensive location and his quotes have been too high compared to when I shopped around myself.

I try very hard not to get into scope creep but it may be better to literally demo the entire fucking house at this point and rebuild... :yikes:
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:39 pm

I do have one... but he is somewhat based in a more expensive location and his quotes have been too high compared to when I shopped around myself.

I try very hard not to get into scope creep but it may be better to literally demo the entire fucking house at this point and rebuild... :yikes:
So where would you live?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:44 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 pm

So where would you live?
Rent for 4-6 months?
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

You need to talk to a few contractors. You will save money doing it all at once, but that’s a pain in the dick, especially with a kid!

No website is going to accurately tell you costs for any of this. There are personally preferences you’re gonna have to factor in. For instance, tile can be $1/square foot or $500/square foot. You also might have layout challenges depending on what you’re wanting to do.

I would start by asking your realtor for a contractor referral. I have four now that I rotate depending on the project and the type of client/personality fit. If that’s a dead end, look for signs and projects in your area and call those contractors and interview them and ask for quotes. Make sure to reference your states board to make sure they’re licensed and ask for referrals and pics of previous jobs.

Also, price to remodel here in Charlotte is gonna be much cheaper apparently! For $450/square, I can build new and lux here.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:23 pm Any ideas what I can get done for around 200?
Would love to do
New Hvac
New Electrical
New Bathroooms x2
New Kitchen
This much work, I'd live somewhere else while it's being done.

Also, inspect everything the contractors do, and be fully prepared to rage at them over the phone.
Last edited by Melon2.0 on Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 pm You need to talk to a few contractors. You will save money doing it all at once, but that’s a pain in the dick, especially with a kid!

No website is going to accurately tell you costs for any of this. There are personally preferences you’re gonna have to factor in. For instance, tile can be $1/square foot or $500/square foot. You also might have layout challenges depending on what you’re wanting to do.

I would start by asking your realtor for a contractor referral. I have four now that I rotate depending on the project and the type of client/personality fit. If that’s a dead end, look for signs and projects in your area and call those contractors and interview them and ask for quotes. Make sure to reference your states board to make sure they’re licensed and ask for referrals and pics of previous jobs.

Also, price to remodel here in Charlotte is gonna be much cheaper apparently! For $450/square, I can build new and lux here.
I was told it’s cheaper to build new than to remodel. :mindblown:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:50 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 pm You need to talk to a few contractors. You will save money doing it all at once, but that’s a pain in the dick, especially with a kid!

Different, cheaper area of course, but as a reference point, our new build cost us ~$215/sqft.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

This is 💯% true usually!

Finding the right contractor will prevent headaches on down the line. Like melon added, having walkthroughs after each step is key.

You need to be aware of the construction triangle tho!

With a good contractor, you get two of the following:

Good work
Cheap
Fast

Meaning if they’re good and cheap, it won’t be fast.

If they’re good and fast, it won’t be cheap.

If they’re cheap and fast, it won’t be good.

My contractors that I recommend fit into the good work, relatively cheap (compared to competition) category because most of my clients don’t have big bucks.

I would also have all your designs and finishes picked out ahead of time so their aren’t supply delays, especially if you’re moving out of the house.
Desertbreh

Remodeling costs money bro. You're status quo is fine. Money is not for pleasure. Money is for stacking to the heavens so that the dead bodies of your creditors will be stacked at the front gates in great mounds.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:05 pm

Remodeling costs money bro. You're status quo is fine. Money is not for pleasure. Money is for stacking to the heavens so that the dead bodies of your creditors will be stacked at the front gates in great mounds.
Not sure I follow. I know it costs money. Was mildly surprised that it costs more to remodel than build
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I mean... not a major renovation and sample size of one, but we got the following done in the house. I got a quote from one of J Ho's dudes and it was $30K. We broke it down and hired individuals and spent $14K. I wouldn't do like a whole gut job without a contractor, but depending on 'needs', I thought piecemeal was better. These dudes also were like 'we can come next week' versus contractor being four months out. They also knocked things out in days versus contractor quote of a month or more.

-Removed all popcorn ceilings throughout with repainting ceilings and demoing a huge ugly bulk head thing over the oven/kitchen penninsula
-New quartz countertops
-New backsplash throughout kitchen
-Installed recessed lighting (11 cans total) in kitchen, hallway, bathroom (hallway/bathroom not included in contractor quote)
-Installed lighting fixtures on brick exterior (not included in contractor quote)

It was annoying AF living in the house for this, which was quite minor relatively speaking.

The contractor also quoted us on a bathroom redo. We have 1.5 baths with a door between the two, kind of an odd layout. He was going to convert the half to a full and close it off to the primary bathroom (which is also accessible via our room). Th pantry would be closed off and turned into a shower (they share a wall), plus new bathroom stuff. $25K. We decided that wasn't worth it for now, losing the pantry would make the house less functional for us right now, we have no need for multiple showers.

There's a little context for you. Labor is cheap AF in Charlotte, that's about the only thing that is. I mean, we had our entire fence stained for $2K, about half of that is materials, so like six people working for two days for $1K. Wild. The backsplash guys (same guys as the counters) charged us like $400 to install all the tile, again like a full days work for three people. When the huge tree fell and smashed my shed, tree people came out and for $2200, removed an enormous tree, trimmed two other huge trees, four people at the house all day plus an insane amount of equipment (a boom truck, a mulching truck, a little front loader thing to move it all from the back to the front). These people have all done a really good job too. I am all about DIYing to save on $250/hour automotive wrenching rates, but I sure as shit ain't painting or laying tile when people are willing/able to do it for $10/hour.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 pm I mean... not a major renovation and sample size of one, but we got the following done in the house. I got a quote from one of J Ho's dudes and it was $30K. We broke it down and hired individuals and spent $14K. I wouldn't do like a whole gut job without a contractor, but depending on 'needs', I thought piecemeal was better. These dudes also were like 'we can come next week' versus contractor being four months out. They also knocked things out in days versus contractor quote of a month or more.

-Removed all popcorn ceilings throughout with repainting ceilings and demoing a huge ugly bulk head thing over the oven/kitchen penninsula
-New quartz countertops
-New backsplash throughout kitchen
-Installed recessed lighting (11 cans total) in kitchen, hallway, bathroom (hallway/bathroom not included in contractor quote)
-Installed lighting fixtures on brick exterior (not included in contractor quote)

It was annoying AF living in the house for this, which was quite minor relatively speaking.

The contractor also quoted us on a bathroom redo. We have 1.5 baths with a door between the two, kind of an odd layout. He was going to convert the half to a full and close it off to the primary bathroom (which is also accessible via our room). Th pantry would be closed off and turned into a shower (they share a wall), plus new bathroom stuff. $25K. We decided that wasn't worth it for now, losing the pantry would make the house less functional for us right now, we have no need for multiple showers.

There's a little context for you. Labor is cheap AF in Charlotte, that's about the only thing that is. I mean, we had our entire fence stained for $2K, about half of that is materials, so like six people working for two days for $1K. Wild. The backsplash guys (same guys as the counters) charged us like $400 to install all the tile, again like a full days work for three people. When the huge tree fell and smashed my shed, tree people came out and for $2200, removed an enormous tree, trimmed two other huge trees, four people at the house all day plus an insane amount of equipment (a boom truck, a mulching truck, a little front loader thing to move it all from the back to the front). These people have all done a really good job too. I am all about DIYing to save on $250/hour automotive wrenching rates, but I sure as shit ain't painting or laying tile when people are willing/able to do it for $10/hour.
You can save money and manage the remodel by yourself! A neighbor of mine did an addition, porch, and detached garage, hired all the subs, pulled the permits, etc by himself. He ended up “saving” $50k. I say saving because he spent more time managing that project than working and his work didn’t like that. 🔥ed!

He bounced back and got another job doe. It also took like two years, but he did save money.

The stuff Dan did was pretty minimal stuff as far as “remodeling” goes. I, for one, am willing to pay a contractor if I’m doing a full Reno. Which sounds like that’s what you’re wanting to do.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

We lived through a kitchen remodel with just a dog and cat. Dog was sent to wife’s parents house. Kitchen was fully unusable for like 3 weeks. It was a lot of take out food. No way in shit would I do that with a kid.

Our AC quotes are for two zones, one with a gas furnace and another with a heat pump. $30k to $42k range.

During Covid I remodeled our bedroom. I demoed it all and we hired out for new electric from panel to the room, new light cans, new fan, full drywall and ceiling. That was $10k but we had a connection. I’d expect to pay nearly double that now.

Our tiny kitchen was $15k new ikea cabinets, quartz countertops, ceiling, 4 cans, fan, appliances. Kept the walls and flooring original. That was 2-3 years before Covid. So at least double now. So $30k for an ikea kitchen.