OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:05 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:30 am

Not much to get, they're just a worse alternative to chips.

One thing I've always wondered though, most rinds from gas stations and such show having a decent protein content on the nutrition facts but then have a disclaimer that it isn't a meaningful protein source. Anyone know what gives?
Never eaten pork rinds, but just scoped out a few nutrition labels across brands. Didn’t see that disclaimer, but my only thought is that maybe it’s because the fat content is almost as high as the protein, so you’re getting more fat calories than protein calories :iono:

Animal protein should be animal protein from a bioavailability stand point. I’ll look at the amino acid profile of pork skin and see if maybe being skin vs muscle/other organ means it’s not a complete protein like every other meat product is.

But yeah, my initial thought is that it’s just too high in fat to be a viable protein source, unless you’re in keto diet mode like Brad said.
Wrong thought process on amino acid profile. Very similar to a top sirloin steak. At least for a plan serving of pork skin. Not sure how frying might change that.. so I’m back to my theory that it’s just the higher fat:protein ratio that is sparking that disclaimer. Which I think is really cool. Food brands have gotten away for too long with calling foods “high protein” when they have less protein than fat (I’m looking at you Big Peanut Butter).

I had a quick thought that maybe what’s in the bag of fried pork rinds isn’t actually pork skin, but quick scan of a few labels were all pretty basic: fried pork skin, salt, smoke flavor. Nothing really too them.

Have a brand in mind that has that disclaimer? Would be cool to look at their directly. I looked at Utz, Mission, and some smaller boutique brand.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:30 am

Not much to get, they're just a worse alternative to chips.

One thing I've always wondered though, most rinds from gas stations and such show having a decent protein content on the nutrition facts but then have a disclaimer that it isn't a meaningful protein source. Anyone know what gives?
Never eaten pork rinds, but just scoped out a few nutrition labels across brands. Didn’t see that disclaimer, but my only thought is that maybe it’s because the fat content is almost as high as the protein, so you’re getting more fat calories than protein calories :iono:

Animal protein should be animal protein from a bioavailability stand point. I’ll look at the amino acid profile of pork skin and see if maybe being skin vs muscle/other organ means it’s not a complete protein like every other meat product is.

But yeah, my initial thought is that it’s just too high in fat to be a viable protein source, unless you’re in keto diet mode like Brad said.
That makes sense. I mean, protein is protein whether or not there's high fat content. I feel like that is all marketing :bs: ... like 'peanut butter is a great source of protein'. I mean PB does include protein BUT the vast majority of calories are from fat. Pretty basic stuff, honestly, I feel like health class in high school should touch on macro nutrients so the population has a better understanding of this.

If you need 7g of protein and have room for a bunch of fat in your day/diet, sure, PB is great.

I haven't really bought pork rinds in years because I just don't find them that tasty, but I remember seeing that on a bunch of labels when I was considering them as an alt to chips, which also have a bunch of fat, so it's sort of just swapping the carb content for protein. I'd rather just have chips and a scoop of whey though if I'm really craving something salty like that :lolol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:16 am

Wrong thought process on amino acid profile. Very similar to a top sirloin steak. At least for a plan serving of pork skin. Not sure how frying might change that.. so I’m back to my theory that it’s just the higher fat:protein ratio that is sparking that disclaimer. Which I think is really cool. Food brands have gotten away for too long with calling foods “high protein” when they have less protein than fat (I’m looking at you Big Peanut Butter).

I had a quick thought that maybe what’s in the bag of fried pork rinds isn’t actually pork skin, but quick scan of a few labels were all pretty basic: fried pork skin, salt, smoke flavor. Nothing really too them.

Have a brand in mind that has that disclaimer? Would be cool to look at their directly. I looked at Utz, Mission, and some smaller boutique brand.
I love peanut butter
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolgasm: great minds think alike. You beat me to the punch before I moved to the next page.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:22 am

:lolgasm: great minds think alike. You beat me to the punch before I moved to the next page.
:fuckyeah:
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:21 am

I love peanut butter
Peanut butter is a top tier flavor. One of my main cravings I get is for those peanut butter filled pretzel bites. Goddamn I could eat an entire Costco sized tub of those in a sitting if I wasn’t paying attention.

No reason it can’t fit into anyone’s diet.. Just got to be mindful of that 2:1 fat:protein macro breakdown it has, which ends up being 4:1 fat calories:protein calories, and those calories sneak up on you fast.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 am One of my main cravings I get is for those peanut butter filled pretzel bites. Goddamn I could eat an entire Costco sized tub of those in a sitting if I wasn’t paying attention.

Preach, those things are awesome.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:47 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 am One of my main cravings I get is for those peanut butter filled pretzel bites. Goddamn I could eat an entire Costco sized tub of those in a sitting if I wasn’t paying attention.

Preach, those things are awesome.
Salty, savory, a crunch exterior with the smooth creamy interior… bite sized perfection.

Never had much of a sweet tooth, but you throw some salt on some fat and I’m broing down with Guy Fieri in flavortown.
SAWCE

Sold a guy on a 6-month diet/training coaching plan this morning. He’s got a few buddies that are interested in it too, but aren’t quite ready to pull the trigger. Hoping after seeing his results over the next two or three months they’ll want in. Been trying to build up a slightly bigger client base to have some extra income for when the baby comes and Michelle is only getting half her normal income for a few months until she’s feeling up to going back to work.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:21 am

I love peanut butter
Peanut butter is a top tier flavor. One of my main cravings I get is for those peanut butter filled pretzel bites. Goddamn I could eat an entire Costco sized tub of those in a sitting if I wasn’t paying attention.

No reason it can’t fit into anyone’s diet.. Just got to be mindful of that 2:1 fat:protein macro breakdown it has, which ends up being 4:1 fat calories:protein calories, and those calories sneak up on you fast.
Currently sitting beside me….

SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:04 am

Toss one into my mouf
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:04 am

:jelly:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:14 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:08 pm

The homie failed English class though.

What are the forums thoughts on pork rinds? I’m really not a fan.
I don't get pork rinds
Agreed. And the awful writing was :|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:56 am

I don't get pork rinds
I guess if you're famouns, 'English, motherfucker' need not apply.

RIP :mahtroy:
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:10 pm

:|

:dat: and :mahval: :(
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I don't get pork rinds
Well your aweful so no ones cares about your critiqe of the quality of writing or that fact there was a couple of typos. :neek: :dislike:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:26 pm

Well your aweful so no ones cares about your critiqe of the quality of writing or that fact there was a couple of typos. :neek: :dislike:
You’re awful, Brad.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Those were less typos, and more an abomination of our language that made the review borderline unreadable.
SAWCE

I found the review funny :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:11 pm I found the review funny :iono:
I mean, in truth, it is, and he's funny in general. I just get very :triggered: by terrible use of language.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Is :mahtroy: still terrorizing the promised land with the most expensive real estate in the country ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:44 pm

Is :mahtroy: still terrorizing the promised land with the most expensive real estate in the country ?
I assume so? :pouroneout:
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:40 pm Those were less typos, and more an abomination of our language that made the review borderline unreadable.
:bravo:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:39 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:26 pm

You’re awful, Brad.
hahhaha gotem
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:04 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:44 pm

I assume so? :pouroneout: