Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:19 pm My rental mustang vert windows did not seal. Was a Le to return it for the 330e I had back in October.
I’ve had about three of the previous gen, one was such a POS I returned it for the Mercedes I murdered the buck with in Utah. All three the rear windows didn’t seal, and I’m not talking a little whistle, this was like 0.5”+ of gap on both sides. Ferd really is kind of :poop:
Sounds exactly like mine.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I had the same issue on the stand. It was/is documented issue that can easily be "Fixed" with lube.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:59 am I had the same issue on the stand. It was/is documented issue that can easily be "Fixed" with lube.
Someone should tell rental agencies that :lolol: maybe Ford, because it’s a remarkably bad impression when every single one is like that and they’re in every rental fleet.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:31 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 am

I’ve had about three of the previous gen, one was such a POS I returned it for the Mercedes I murdered the buck with in Utah. All three the rear windows didn’t seal, and I’m not talking a little whistle, this was like 0.5”+ of gap on both sides. Ferd really is kind of :poop:
Ford is pretty much off the list for us for the foreseeable future. We’ve had too many crap vehicles from them. And a good 1/10 of them I see driving or on the street have under body panels dragging on the pavement.

My dads truck is :disgust:
:dat: all but one ford vehicles that my family and :tits: turns out to be crap. 1998 ford explorer, steering got locked randomly in 2002!!, 2002 Windstar, barely anything happened to that car and yet I barely see those on the road anymore. 2011 expedition, bubbly paint after a year or 2 ownershit. 2016 explorer, bubbly paint, bubbled worn steering wheel close to 2 year of ownershit, transmission begans to hesitate etc. (one of the reasons why they sold it). :tits: fiesta, the powershift, need i say more. My first impression of it it behaves to program like someone is really bad at manual. It's a jerkfest in the city.

Just :nope:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:56 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:59 am I had the same issue on the stand. It was/is documented issue that can easily be "Fixed" with lube.
Someone should tell rental agencies that :lolol: maybe Ford, because it’s a remarkably bad impression when every single one is like that and they’re in every rental fleet.
the good thing about ford is they are great RENTAL cars. Thats it. Also i had an escape rental too last summer, it was bland but gave me a slight gti vibe.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: if a car that has windows that don’t close makes for a great rental though.

I will say the new stang was pretty nice and grew on me a bit.

Good:
-fast, especially considering it was the EcoBoom
-Great chassis
-Interior truly looks fantastic and much higher end, the cinnamon seats looked great, the throwback to the Foxbody vents/center stack is really subtle and cool. Fox Body gauges is a fun gimmick. Very customizable as well with mood lighting, gauges
-Fake noises were kind of dope
-TC on in sport mode the ass rotates with ease
-Wireless CarPlay + wireless charging pad was nice
-nice luxo features like heated wheel, cooled seats, etc.
- very comfy car with good ride
-real world 28 MPG all over Philly/NJ area seems pretty good to me

Bad:
-transmission just kind of sucks. 10 speeds is too many and the hunting/shifting and only moving 200 rpm is dumb. Also NO paddles or any sort of manual control whatsoever is pathetic. 2.slow Cammies have paddles
- CarPlay had some weird glitches - everything connected sometimes audio just wouldn’t play or would play out of my phone speaker even though controls on screen worked. Pulling over and power cycling car seemed to be the only fix
- the big screens look nice but are legit dangerous, so distracting/annoying that HVAC and everything else is in screens
-no adaptive cruise? WTF

All in all it’s a fun car but I don’t think something that big outside and small inside is for me. Other than tech glitches it seemed of dece quality and pretty well made but it also had 600 miles when I picked it up, time will tell.
max225

Yea it’s insane how much bigger the mustang felt than my m3 at the time yet inside was way smaller. Such a bizzare packaging fiasco
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

Went to a BMW dealership with Richard yesterday to go test drive an option for :cheese:’s stablemate. The :dillerman: we interacted with has consumed so much of the BMW kool aid that he lost it when I mentioned the Audi I was cross shopping. He also owns one of every generation of M3.

Was kinda comical. Both are same size class, make the same amount of power, have the same transmission etc and I was wondering if the B58 could win me over. He started trashing the Audi and listing off ways the BMW was better but every trait he stated (other than being an inline 6) is also true of the Audi.
:wtf:
They also had no B58 powered cars (except for bigger than I was looking) they could let me drive. I definitely liked the interior of the Audi better than the floor model BMW I wasn’t allowed to drive though. I think the BMW is out of the running.

For shits and giggles we went over to Mazda next door and drove a CX-5 Tubro Signature. That thing was :notbad:. Every comfort I could ever ask for, just doesn’t :scoot: quite as much as I want and the noise it makes doesn’t make the monkey brain happy. Mazda really needs to stick the inline 6 from the CX-90 in a bunch more things.

The search continues. I think I have my mind made up already but still gonna try other things, and just wait for moving to finish up and the right spec to come up while I try different options if I can be swayed.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:14 pm :iono: if a car that has windows that don’t close makes for a great rental though.

I will say the new stang was pretty nice and grew on me a bit.

Good:
-fast, especially considering it was the EcoBoom
-Great chassis
-Interior truly looks fantastic and much higher end, the cinnamon seats looked great, the throwback to the Foxbody vents/center stack is really subtle and cool. Fox Body gauges is a fun gimmick. Very customizable as well with mood lighting, gauges
-Fake noises were kind of dope
-TC on in sport mode the ass rotates with ease
-Wireless CarPlay + wireless charging pad was nice
-nice luxo features like heated wheel, cooled seats, etc.
- very comfy car with good ride
-real world 28 MPG all over Philly/NJ area seems pretty good to me

Bad:
-transmission just kind of sucks. 10 speeds is too many and the hunting/shifting and only moving 200 rpm is dumb. Also NO paddles or any sort of manual control whatsoever is pathetic. 2.slow Cammies have paddles
- CarPlay had some weird glitches - everything connected sometimes audio just wouldn’t play or would play out of my phone speaker even though controls on screen worked. Pulling over and power cycling car seemed to be the only fix
- the big screens look nice but are legit dangerous, so distracting/annoying that HVAC and everything else is in screens
-no adaptive cruise? WTF

All in all it’s a fun car but I don’t think something that big outside and small inside is for me. Other than tech glitches it seemed of dece quality and pretty well made but it also had 600 miles when I picked it up, time will tell.
The lack of paddles seems like such a massive oversight
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Paddles come with the performance pack on the Ecoboost.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:44 pm Paddles come with the performance pack on the Ecoboost.
I guess I get it but this should be standard on a sporty car, I think really any car. If you’re driving in the mountains it’s quite crucial and certainly adds to the enjoyment. Or at least manual control on the shifter.
max225

adoob wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:12 pm Went to a BMW dealership with Richard yesterday to go test drive an option for :cheese:’s stablemate. The :dillerman: we interacted with has consumed so much of the BMW kool aid that he lost it when I mentioned the Audi I was cross shopping. He also owns one of every generation of M3.

Was kinda comical. Both are same size class, make the same amount of power, have the same transmission etc and I was wondering if the B58 could win me over. He started trashing the Audi and listing off ways the BMW was better but every trait he stated (other than being an inline 6) is also true of the Audi.
They also had no B58 powered cars (except for bigger than I was looking) they could let me drive. I definitely liked the interior of the Audi better than the floor model BMW I wasn’t allowed to drive though. I think the BMW is out of the running.

For shits and giggles we went over to Mazda next door and drove a CX-5 Tubro Signature. That thing was :notbad:. Every comfort I could ever ask for, just doesn’t :scoot: quite as much as I want and the noise it makes doesn’t make the monkey brain happy. Mazda really needs to stick the inline 6 from the CX-90 in a bunch more things.

The search continues. I think I have my mind made up already but still gonna try other things, and just wait for moving to finish up and the right spec to come up while I try different options if I can be swayed.
So What bmw were you looking at ? I tried Audi but personally I think diesel gayte killed them, everything seems stuck in time and cost cutting is obvious. The interiors are now sub par compared to bmw and mb. And the tech is trash (cameras low res, low res screens for dash boards, driver assistance etc). I still like the exterior styling though
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I'll take slightly lower grade materials for the physical buttons in the B9 platform cars.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:30 am
adoob wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:12 pm Went to a BMW dealership with Richard yesterday to go test drive an option for :cheese:’s stablemate. The :dillerman: we interacted with has consumed so much of the BMW kool aid that he lost it when I mentioned the Audi I was cross shopping. He also owns one of every generation of M3.

So What bmw were you looking at ? I tried Audi but personally I think diesel gayte killed them, everything seems stuck in time and cost cutting is obvious. The interiors are now sub par compared to bmw and mb. And the tech is trash (cameras low res, low res screens for dash boards, driver assistance etc). I still like the exterior styling though
Also im noticing not many of the new audis on the road, like the a6, s6 and the like. I legit saw a current s8 or a8 only one time on the road, considering the amount of xm's i spotted. Probably people have noticed that there wasn't much of a difference outside of exterior styling. I rented the s5 sportback in flori-duh thats a 2018 and now the facelift only had subtle changes. Just wondering when will b10 will come out though

I will say as far as VAG, the new tiguan and amarok along with new passat (wagon) came out. And the ute's seemed to get a brand new headunit, which is much needed
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

On a different note, i stopped by 7-11 to grab something quick in a slightly sketchy neighborhood. I hapened to park next to an early 2000's camry, the bulgy bargey one. Now keep in mind, doors are unlocked and windows down. No one in the car, in my curiosity i looked and it turns out to be a :manuel:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:27 pm On a different note, i stopped by 7-11 to grab something quick in a slightly sketchy neighborhood. I hapened to park next to an early 2000's camry, the bulgy bargey one. Now keep in mind, doors are unlocked and windows down. No one in the car, in my curiosity i looked and it turns out to be a :manuel:
My 90 year old grandma rocks an ‘02 Cammie and is obsessed. It’s terrible. Brown even. Automatic though. I rode in a 2007 gen Camry taxi manual a few years ago and was shocked they even offered it that ‘recently’.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That’s a lot of M3s for a car salesman to afford. I personally don’t find the current BMW lineup interesting other than the M2 and M3. And I like the i4.

I have rented a few current gen A4s and they’re really nice.

I have always been more of a BMW guy but a lot of the magic is gone. Too bad as they’re actually reliable now :lolol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Since we discussed about headunits recently,

Just came upon to this
https://jalopnik.com/cars-without-real- ... hG-hGjqbPY
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:20 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:27 pm On a different note, i stopped by 7-11 to grab something quick in a slightly sketchy neighborhood. I hapened to park next to an early 2000's camry, the bulgy bargey one. Now keep in mind, doors are unlocked and windows down. No one in the car, in my curiosity i looked and it turns out to be a :manuel:
My 90 year old grandma rocks an ‘02 Cammie and is obsessed. It’s terrible. Brown even. Automatic though. I rode in a 2007 gen Camry taxi manual a few years ago and was shocked they even offered it that ‘recently’.
Probably because it lasts forever. My barber used to have a :manuel: c350 thats 2012, he had to travel to get one cause they're very few left. B9 a4 also has :manuel: when it started, after facelift :notsure:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:22 pm

That’s a lot of M3s for a car salesman to afford. I personally don’t find the current BMW lineup interesting other than the M2 and M3. And I like the i4.

I have rented a few current gen A4s and they’re really nice.

I have always been more of a BMW guy but a lot of the magic is gone. Too bad as they’re actually reliable now :lolol:
I guess the magic needs to be gone in order to be reliable for once.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:31 am Since we discussed about headunits recently,

Just came upon to this
It feels like the world went :fullretard: First "everyone wanted screens" now "everyone wants buttons" and it coincides with "everyone wants EVs" but now it's "everyone wants a cheap hybrid"

Stupidity all around with governments fueling the flames.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:31 am Since we discussed about headunits recently,

Just came upon to this
It feels like the world went :fullretard: First "everyone wanted screens" now "everyone wants buttons" and it coincides with "everyone wants EVs" but now it's "everyone wants a cheap hybrid"

:dat:

Some people who bought ev's probably realized that for some people ev'e are inconvenient. You want screens you got it, honda makes a volume "button" where you have to touch and people complained :hue:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:22 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm

:dat:

Some people who bought ev's probably realized that for some people ev'e are inconvenient. You want screens you got it, honda makes a volume "button" where you have to touch and people complained :hue:
I have a buddy who sells Hyundais. They get a LOT of EV returns for hybrids.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

"Pop out rear windows"

Hot. This thing is gonna be choice
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I saw some provinces in Canada are implementing an annual tax on EV owners. Wild to see how much shit the government tries to force people into and then turn around and slap them with taxes on those things.