Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Yo Griff, what's been your experience with cycling + lifting vs running + lifting? I'm having a very hard time pairing up cycling with meaningful strength work.

On the bike, to stay in my zone 2 heart rate zone, which is +/- 130bpm, after 45 minutes of that my legs are pretty cooked, primarily if it's the day after a leg day in the gym. Running, though, it is surprisingly easy how quickly I get to 130bpm. For me, that's like a 12min mile, which feels like cake. 45 minutes of that and my strength workouts really aren't impacted at all, whereas 45 min at 130bpm on the bike feels like real work.

You're much more seasoned on the bike than I am, are you at a point where a Zone 2 ride on the bike doesn't really impact you off of it? I have this grand idea that I'm going to be jacked and be a good cyclist, but man, for me, that feels way more daunting than getting better at running. It also seems like as I get more fit and more efficient on the bike, it's just going to take an even HIGHER output to stay in Zone 2.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:08 pm Yo Griff, what's been your experience with cycling + lifting vs running + lifting? I'm having a very hard time pairing up cycling with meaningful strength work.

On the bike, to stay in my zone 2 heart rate zone, which is +/- 130bpm, after 45 minutes of that my legs are pretty cooked, primarily if it's the day after a leg day in the gym. Running, though, it is surprisingly easy how quickly I get to 130bpm. For me, that's like a 12min mile, which feels like cake. 45 minutes of that and my strength workouts really aren't impacted at all, whereas 45 min at 130bpm on the bike feels like real work.

You're much more seasoned on the bike than I am, are you at a point where a Zone 2 ride on the bike doesn't really impact you off of it? I have this grand idea that I'm going to be jacked and be a good cyclist, but man, for me, that feels way more daunting than getting better at running. It also seems like as I get more fit and more efficient on the bike, it's just going to take an even HIGHER output to stay in Zone 2.
I have given this a good bit of thought and experimented quite a bit. I have run pretty consistently since high school and there were points where I was pretty heavy into running. I actually started lifting in a more serious (or what I thought was serious at the time) way in college but didn't see much gainz. For a long time I thought that was because of the running, but looking back, I didn't know shit about training programs, nutrition, and just did things all wrong.

On the one hand, cycling and lifting is actually better for me at this point. When I got heavy into cycling in 2020, I initially would make sure to only ride every other day, timing it out with lifting. I also lost access to a gym at that time, so my lifting translated to high rep, low weight stuff I could do with what I had at home, lots of body weight work, high rep stuff with limited dumb bells. Over time, my legs seemed to become accustomed to cycling and unless I go really hard, like say a century or a long ride in the hills/mountains, I don't really get sore from cycling to speak of and could do it every day. Last year when I started traveling for work again, I dove back into running as I really enjoy doing it while in new-to-me places and it's easy to bring a pair of shoes on a trip, not so much a bike. I find that after the endurance gains I've experienced from long haul cycling, I can run relatively far at a decent pace and it's pretty easy from a cardio and breathing perspective, but my legs can be trashed after for a couple of days.

Heart rate wise, I agree, getting to a zone 2 HR with running is an absolute piece of cake. It's trickier on a bike with hills, stop lights, wind, traffic all playing a part. I honestly don't focus much on zones or HR on my rides, I do keep a monitor on and look at it, but they are all over the place, I will hover between 100-170 and just kind of have organic intervals based on hills, segments, etc. Running I tend to sit right at 145-155 BPM if I'm going at a fairly relaxed jog, 160-170 if I'm pushing or going up a big hill.

I don't know if any of that is at all helpful, but maybe one thing I would suggest is just treating the cycling as recovery of sorts. It seems like gains in the weight room are important, so maybe start your week in the gym with heavy leg work and follow it with cycling. I'd also try incorporating heavier weight on your leg days and skip out on some volume, as longer rides/runs sort of hit a lot of the volume in my eyes so just the heavy stuff seems like what's missing.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I wonder how you would feel running vs being locked into a trainer (Peloton), with comparable heart rates. I agree that on the bike (outside) it's easy to have some natural intervals and have that feel less taxing. On the group rides I've done I never tracked my heart rate, but those usually lasted 90 mins or so and I didn't find them to be that bad, despite going well past Z2 HR in spots. It's seemingly being on the Peloton and having 0 seconds of rest that murders my legs most, to some degree even when it's all below threshold.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:14 pm I wonder how you would feel running vs being locked into a trainer (Peloton), with comparable heart rates. I agree that on the bike (outside) it's easy to have some natural intervals and have that feel less taxing. On the group rides I've done I never tracked my heart rate, but those usually lasted 90 mins or so and I didn't find them to be that bad, despite going well past Z2 HR in spots. It's seemingly being on the Peloton and having 0 seconds of rest that murders my legs most, to some degree even when it's all below threshold.
I haven’t done anything on a trainer in maybe a year? Wife canceled Peloton in favor of orange theory, I just used her account when I wanted to do indoor training. It was certainly higher average heart rate versus riding outside for me, high intensity but shorter duration typically.

I am pretty done with indoor cardio though, I just don’t enjoy that in the least.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:46 am
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:14 pm I wonder how you would feel running vs being locked into a trainer (Peloton), with comparable heart rates. I agree that on the bike (outside) it's easy to have some natural intervals and have that feel less taxing. On the group rides I've done I never tracked my heart rate, but those usually lasted 90 mins or so and I didn't find them to be that bad, despite going well past Z2 HR in spots. It's seemingly being on the Peloton and having 0 seconds of rest that murders my legs most, to some degree even when it's all below threshold.
I haven’t done anything on a trainer in maybe a year? Wife canceled Peloton in favor of orange theory, I just used her account when I wanted to do indoor training. It was certainly higher average heart rate versus riding outside for me, high intensity but shorter duration typically.

I am pretty done with indoor cardio though, I just don’t enjoy that in the least.
I don't either, but when it's pouring or 25* outside, I'd enjoy riding outside even less than spinning in the basement. I also have no cold weather gear, probably should do something about that.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I still have all of my cold weather gear in a box, meant to sell it this past Fall but never got around to it. All likely too small and :fancy: for anyone DFD-sized. 43 shoes, medium gloves/mittens, and small/xsmall everything else.

My HR is almost always higher outside. I find it easier to push harder when I'm actually moving, plus the constant feeling of imminent death by :truk: keeps the heart racing. There is no relaxing/recovering outdoors.

The most enjoyable bike riding I've ever done was when I had the trainer set up in a conditioned room in front of the TV/PC, just mindlessly pedaling at moderate intensity while watching TV. Unfortunately I don't have space to set up a trainer anymore besides in the 100+ degree garage where it feels like I'm going to die if I'm not careful.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

My latest indoor torture session.

Still easing into things, but rather than trying to push to the top of the output zones, I'm trying to stay centered in them and keep my HR lower. To that end, I spent nearly 4:00 less with my HR above 135bpm this ride than my last 45min Z2 & Z3 ride, with an almost identical average output. My goal is to get as close as possible to all Zone 2 HR at these wattages before taking my FTP test again.

I've reduced my intensity and duration on leg day in the gym as well, so the mix of those two should help keep me from getting burned out before I can start riding outside.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:51 am Tempting. :megusta:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/roval ... 602-174214
Maybe they have gotten better but I’d caution on these. I have friends that have cracked Roval carbon road wheels repeatedly.
Johnny_P

Bought a new gravel tire from REI to replace the bald rear. These Vittorias are hard to find.

Then noticed the front was peeing Stan’s on my floor. So. Both need replacement. I’m thinking I might go with a different tire. Fucking glass. Philly with trash everywhere.

Heard good things about GravelKing SK and Rene Herse Steilacoom. So maybe one of those?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:35 am
coogles wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:51 am Tempting. :megusta:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/roval ... 602-174214
Maybe they have gotten better but I’d caution on these. I have friends that have cracked Roval carbon road wheels repeatedly.
Interesting to know, I've actually been contemplating the :dill: myself. I should probably buy Valerie's old :ramz:
Johnny_P

Also taking a cycling trip with my dad to Italy this summer so I started using the spin bike 2x a week. Man I hate training.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:38 am

Interesting to know, I've actually been contemplating the :dill: myself. I should probably buy Valerie's old :ramz:
Yeah just road riding. My buddy Dan went through 3 rear wheels. All were replaced warranty but all were cracked through. He’s 6’4 and lean but a powerful rider. Don’t know if that matters. He gave up on the wheels.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:38 am Bought a new gravel tire from REI to replace the bald rear. These Vittorias are hard to find.

Then noticed the front was peeing Stan’s on my floor. So. Both need replacement. I’m thinking I might go with a different tire. Fucking glass. Philly with trash everywhere.

Heard good things about GravelKing SK and Rene Herse Steilacoom. So maybe one of those?
I have the GravelKing SK on the Raleigh and I love those tires. I have 1400 miles on them with no flats. I mostly ride on the road on it but they really work well across different surfaces, they're fairly fast/easy on road, good grip on gravel, I've only done a few miles of single track on them and they seemed fine but the geo of the bike is so scary on single track I didn't think much about the grip.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:39 am Also taking a cycling trip with my dad to Italy this summer so I started using the spin bike 2x a week. Man I hate training.
Dang, where in Italy? That sounds pretty awesome! I didn't know your dad was a cyclist, is that how you got into it?
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:38 am

Mine are these cheap ones, they seem pretty solid.

https://icancycling.com/products/front- ... 0666883150
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Also I actually rode bikes last weekend for the first time in months and it was fun. A few friends just riding around downtown, stopped to see a band play for a few hours, then rode around the pier and stuff. Didn't break a sweat or exceed probably 12 mph and had more fun than any other ride as an adult.

I didn't take one of my 3 :fancy: road bikes either, for the first leg I was testing my other friend's cheapo Schwinn that I fixed up which is going to be his primary transportation for the next year (DUI...). For the rest of the night I was on a random old Mongoose that was found by a dumpster a few years ago by my other friend. The old Shimano 7-speed stuff all still works perfectly. Why the fuck do I have thousands of dollars in bike shit again? :derp:

Schwinn after tune-up:

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Having Rovals on a Trek would :triggered: me anyway.

Have my eyes on some Aeolus Pro 37s if I can get them on sale.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:50 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:38 am Bought a new gravel tire from REI to replace the bald rear. These Vittorias are hard to find.

I have the GravelKing SK on the Raleigh and I love those tires. I have 1400 miles on them with no flats. I mostly ride on the road on it but they really work well across different surfaces, they're fairly fast/easy on road, good grip on gravel, I've only done a few miles of single track on them and they seemed fine but the geo of the bike is so scary on single track I didn't think much about the grip.
CX or gravel bikes on singletrack makes any trail a life or death situation and I love it lol. Bonus death points for canti brakes.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:39 am Also taking a cycling trip with my dad to Italy this summer so I started using the spin bike 2x a week. Man I hate training.
Dang, where in Italy? That sounds pretty awesome! I didn't know your dad was a cyclist, is that how you got into it?
Actually I got him into it back when I was in middle school. He has stuck with it since. He’s the club ride kind of guy. C pace at best. Just enjoys it.

Place in Italy is Riccione. There’s a group my dad rides with who do the trip every year so he convinced me that we would go this time. Staying at a hotel that puts bike vacations together so they will have a bike for me all set up and a ride guide. Should be like 20-30 people riding.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:42 am Having Rovals on a Trek would :triggered: me anyway.

Have my eyes on some Aeolus Pro 37s if I can get them on sale.
I’ve heard good things about the Aeolus wheels. I’d love carbon wheels at some point. Maybe if I get a road bike again.
Johnny_P

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:26 am Also I actually rode bikes last weekend for the first time in months and it was fun. A few friends just riding around downtown, stopped to see a band play for a few hours, then rode around the pier and stuff. Didn't break a sweat or exceed probably 12 mph and had more fun than any other ride as an adult.

I didn't take one of my 3 :fancy: road bikes either, for the first leg I was testing my other friend's cheapo Schwinn that I fixed up which is going to be his primary transportation for the next year (DUI...). For the rest of the night I was on a random old Mongoose that was found by a dumpster a few years ago by my other friend. The old Shimano 7-speed stuff all still works perfectly. Why the fuck do I have thousands of dollars in bike shit again? :derp:

Schwinn after tune-up:

Having a no care bike can be liberating.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 am

Actually I got him into it back when I was in middle school. He has stuck with it since. He’s the club ride kind of guy. C pace at best. Just enjoys it.

Place in Italy is Riccione. There’s a group my dad rides with who do the trip every year so he convinced me that we would go this time. Staying at a hotel that puts bike vacations together so they will have a bike for me all set up and a ride guide. Should be like 20-30 people riding.
That sounds like a great time, dude. Enjoy! Very cool to be able to do something like that with your dad. Some of my best memories of father/son time when I was a kid are riding my bike with my dad along the park trails near the house where I group up. I really enjoy those kinds of moments with my parents now as an adult when I get them.
Johnny_P

So front tire was peeing Stan’s all over my floor. Wanted to go on a ride today so i needed to fix it. Pulled one bead off, cleaned the tire, booted it. But couldn’t get the fucker to seat back on the wheel. I had to take my damn wheel to the bike shop and let them blast it on with a compressor like a peasant.

Anyone have a solution to this? This was ridiculous. And not the first time I’ve had a problem seating tubeless tires.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:31 pm So front tire was peeing Stan’s all over my floor. Wanted to go on a ride today so i needed to fix it. Pulled one bead off, cleaned the tire, booted it. But couldn’t get the fucker to seat back on the wheel. I had to take my damn wheel to the bike shop and let them blast it on with a compressor like a peasant.

Anyone have a solution to this? This was ridiculous. And not the first time I’ve had a problem seating tubeless tires.
I ended up buying this thing after having a similar problem:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... Code=black

Basically a :manuel: air compressor, seems to do the job pretty well.