OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:50 pm That was on our list but we didn't make it, actually didn't make it to Saint-Louis at all.
A reason to go back!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:31 pm Stoked. Dentist called, turns out they over charged me by $5xx.xx for that crown I had to get, so they’re refunding me. Nice little unexpected surprise and great timing with having little things to buy for the haus.
:fuckyeah:
Found money is always :megusta:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

@Eric we went to Amsterdam, Bruges, and Paris on a Europe trip in 2017ish, whenever Notre Dame burned, I remember that happened about a week after we saw it.

I’ll post some thoughts when I’m on the computer tomorrow, but they’re all pretty cool, particularly Amsterdam and Bruges IMO.

Funny all the food comments though, to me eastern food (Asian/Indian) and Central/South American is way better than anything out of the European continent :wrong:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:50 pm @Eric we went to Amsterdam, Bruges, and Paris on a Europe trip in 2017ish, whenever Notre Dame burned, I remember that happened about a week after we saw it.

I’ll post some thoughts when I’m on the computer tomorrow, but they’re all pretty cool, particularly Amsterdam and Bruges IMO.

Funny all the food comments though, to me eastern food (Asian/Indian) and Central/South American is way better than anything out of the European continent :wrong:
Looking forward to it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Me taking notes to help my future sugar momma plan our trip to Europe.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

:jelly: of euro trip.

Not sure when i'll ever be able to go.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Paris-wise, we were only there for about 36 hours, so I'd leave that to the other's recommendations. The one thing I will say is that we took a river boat sunset dinner tour kind of thing and the views of the city and Eifel Tower were quite :nice:

We actually took river tours in Bruges and Amsterdam as well. The food on the Amsterdam one wasn't good, Paris was good but probably not up to the standards of the :fancy: restaurants.

I would highly recommend some sort of cycling tour in Amsterdam. Most locals use bikes to get around so it is sort of like seeing the city from a local's eyes. You also get to experience quite a bit of the city in just a few hours given the ground you can cover on two wheels. Personally, I would do this early on, it will help to identify neighborhoods and areas you'd like to take more time walking around and exploring on foot.

Bruges is a beautiful city as well. The canal boat tour there was pretty quick and a neat way to get some sights in early on, again, great way to identify areas you'd like to spend time. The central square Ron mentioned is 5/7, with lots of great food vendors, live music, and of course beer. Be prepared to get a 3" thick binder as a beer menu at most places with a huge amount of choice but the Belgian beers are quite tasty.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:36 am :jelly: of euro trip.

I wasn't contemplating Europe trips when my cf was in kindergarten either. I will say its very accessible price wise right now if you're willing to fly coach. Dan's trips are Exhibit A to that statement.
I'm not willing to fly coach but I cashed in several years of AMEX points to buy my business ticket.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:57 am Paris-wise, we were only there for about 36 hours, so I'd leave that to the other's recommendations. The one thing I will say is that we took a river boat sunset dinner tour kind of thing and the views of the city and Eifel Tower were quite :nice:

We actually took river tours in Bruges and Amsterdam as well. The food on the Amsterdam one wasn't good, Paris was good but probably not up to the standards of the :fancy: restaurants.

I would highly recommend some sort of cycling tour in Amsterdam. Most locals use bikes to get around so it is sort of like seeing the city from a local's eyes. You also get to experience quite a bit of the city in just a few hours given the ground you can cover on two wheels. Personally, I would do this early on, it will help to identify neighborhoods and areas you'd like to take more time walking around and exploring on foot.

Bruges is a beautiful city as well. The canal boat tour there was pretty quick and a neat way to get some sights in early on, again, great way to identify areas you'd like to spend time. The central square Ron mentioned is 5/7, with lots of great food vendors, live music, and of course beer. Be prepared to get a 3" thick binder as a beer menu at most places with a huge amount of choice but the Belgian beers are quite tasty.
We took those boat tours in Amsterdam and Bruges as well, though not with dinner, and can confirm they are :neat: ways to see the city from a different perspective and also learn a few things from the on-board guide. Cycle tour of Amsterdam is a good idea. It's an extremely bike-friendly city.

Probably beyond the scope of this trip, but can also confirm that Ghent and Antwerp are really cool cities to see, and quite easy to get to by train, if you're in the mood for a day trip from Bruges.

Oh, and if you're going to the Louvre, I always recommend to take some time to see the Second Empire Royal Apartments of Napoleon III. Everyone goes to see the Louvre to see the :mindblown: art, and it's all worth seeing, but the Royal Apartments often get overlooked and are prety :amaze: . In fact (possible unpopular opinion), I'd recommend them over Versailles, which is always super crowded, and the rooms are largely devoid of furniture, while the Royal Apartments are completely furnished.

Though, Versailles is certainly worth seeing once, especially for the gardens, weather permitting.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:25 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:50 pm @Eric we went to Amsterdam, Bruges, and Paris on a Europe trip in 2017ish, whenever Notre Dame burned, I remember that happened about a week after we saw it.

Looking forward to it.
:dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:36 am :jelly: of euro trip.

February is a great time and flights are typically cheaper (if not cheapest) than rest of the year, id just :doit: and maybe it's more reasonable than expected.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Lesson of the day: Heels are not compatible with carpet or anti-fatigue mats. :science:

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:35 pm Lesson of the day: Heels are not compatible with carpet or anti-fatigue mats. :science:

Don’t put up the feet on the dash either Shit can get scratched yo… and you have to take em off on hard wood. back in the day when I was cool I’d tell passengers not to Fuck up my car… now my sig other just wears flats. Times have changed
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Oh I'd never even think about putting feet on the dash anyway, I like still being able to walk after a crash. :thisisfine: :doomed:

For those who are curious, standard ear piercing in our hipster neighborhood is $250 parts and labor and is no more painful than getting an injection. I thought it was supposed to actually hurt but apparently not.
wap

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:35 pm Lesson of the day: Heels are not compatible with carpet or anti-fatigue mats. :science:

:themoreyouknow:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:18 pm Oh I'd never even think about putting feet on the dash anyway, I like still being able to walk after a crash. :thisisfine: :doomed:

For those who are curious, standard ear piercing in our hipster neighborhood is $250 parts and labor and is no more painful than getting an injection. I thought it was supposed to actually hurt but apparently not.
Dang, seems super expensive for ear piercing. I did both sides of my lower lip for like $80 back in the day.

Should have gone to a mall and hit Claire’s for like $20 :lol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:18 pm

Don’t put up the feet on the dash either Shit can get scratched yo… and you have to take em off on hard wood. back in the day when I was cool I’d tell passengers not to Fuck up my car… now my sig other just wears flats. Times have changed
No need to wear uncomfortable shoes when you've got your boy locked down and headed to Lowe's for a few bags of mulch.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:18 pm Oh I'd never even think about putting feet on the dash anyway, I like still being able to walk after a crash. :thisisfine: :doomed:

I got my ears pierced sophomore year of college in my dorm by my gf at the time, just the cost of the fake diamonds :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Made a killer SAWCE for dindin today.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:11 pm

Mine did my ears and 2 other piercings. Good times

I got my ears pierced sophomore year of college in my dorm by my gf at the time, just the cost of the fake diamonds :lolol:
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:26 pm Made a killer SAWCE for dindin today.
Deets
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:11 pm

:impressive:

I've always been afraid of being outed so no ear piercings, and not interested in any other piercings anyway. Tattoos I'm too indecisive for - how could I possibly choose one image to have on my body every day for the rest of my life? That's like choosing one car to drive or one food to eat or one song to listen to or one shirt to wear every day forever. Impossible.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:54 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:26 pm Made a killer SAWCE for dindin today.
Deets
Just a Prime beef bottom roast braised and pressure cooked in a tomato sofrito, then shredded and slow cooked in arrabiata sauce. Added the typical S&P, and other seasonings to taste.

Put it over cheese ravioli but in hindsight I would've preferred some big rigs.

Edit: just realized I forgot the red wine. :rage:
max225

That looks excellent
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Sup fellas, I have a nice relaxing weekend with :tits: were staying at a nice cozy hotel amongst our 1st year anniversary from the day we first met (yesterday to be exact).

Last night we checked in a marriott property which is one of their autograh collection as their nicer/unique/bougier line of marriott as my employee discounts will end in April. A regular rate is almost $300 a night, I only paid $100 per night. So we checked in on Friday, in Columbia, MD not far where Chris is gonna move. Then we head over to Baltimore to this french restaurant which turns out to be more :waxer: than I was expecting. I was presently surprised not to only have a fine dining experience, there was also a stage like an old school small stage with drapes.
Here's the place: https://monarquebaltimore.com/

By yours truly!!

Hotel also has a spa which we both took advantage of, so the purpose is to relax a little bit. We both are tired as of now. Wrapping it off by watching some basketball, then get some shuteye.

Good night fellas
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.