Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:30 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:13 pm

Looks like headroom would suck for Chris, otherwise it's perfect.

I wonder if a base A4/A5 sedan wouldn't be a good option. They're fast and AFAIK run on 87.
Yep, I love the new Prius, actually...but I'm worried about headroom. I'd check one out for sure :doe:

How reliable are A4/5? I don't want something that's constantly at the shop or that I'm constantly doing maintenance on. I love the way they look, especially the A5 coupe.
Check video with Doug. Dude is 6’5” seems to fit ok even with the sunroof
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:27 pm I assume it's a non-starter because of the :wrong: badge, but there's always the... Cadillac CT5/CTS. AWD is pretty common and it gets ~30 mpg highway on 87 with the 2.0T or 3.6.
I've actually debated going full couch and finding a CT6 with super cruise. I'd absolutely consider a CT5, but for the price... :notsure:
Sticker prices are definitely high, I'd be sticking with toyota/subaru at that point too. I was assuming that the lux brand sedans would be heavily depreciated by now but :iono: since nothing makes sense anymore.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:56 am So, I've been low-key looking into mid-size sedans as I may be seeing some serious highway time in the coming year. Nothing serious, but I noticed something under the radar...

2023 Subaru Legacy Sport

2.4T from the Ascent/WRX, but takes regular and has more torque than the WRX 260hp/280tq
"SI-Drive" from the WRX...this is intriguing AF. The Cucktrek had something similar that completely transformed the response of the engine
Sport suspension :notsure:
Eye sight is fantastic
Sunroof, heated everything, proximity entry, $34k...probably could be had ~$30k after discounts

It's basically a big WRX. I can't find a single review of the thing, but it seems like it could be an intriguing sleeper. It's not attractive, but it's not ugly, just boring. I may try to drive one at some point.
This actually sounds pretty decent.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

https://www.motor1.com/news/632190/niss ... ion-japan/

I also put new plugs and coils in the BEATR today. A couple plugs were covered in oil from, what I assume to be a leaky valve cover gasket. I'm choosing to forget about this and will just not park the car facing up hill anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:56 am So, I've been low-key looking into mid-size sedans as I may be seeing some serious highway time in the coming year. Nothing serious, but I noticed something under the radar...

2023 Subaru Legacy Sport

2.4T from the Ascent/WRX, but takes regular and has more torque than the WRX 260hp/280tq
"SI-Drive" from the WRX...this is intriguing AF. The Cucktrek had something similar that completely transformed the response of the engine
Eye sight is fantastic
Sunroof, heated everything, proximity entry, $34k...probably could be had ~$30k after discounts

It's basically a big WRX. I can't find a single review of the thing, but it seems like it could be an intriguing sleeper. It's not attractive, but it's not ugly, just boring. I may try to drive one at some point.
My friend with the Powerboost F150 I mentioned also bought a Legacy GT last year. He bought it strictly for the comfort/dollar ratio. It's not sporty by any means but he really likes it.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/purcha ... -115636550
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:00 pm https://www.motor1.com/news/632190/niss ... ion-japan/

I also put new plugs and coils in the BEATR today. A couple plugs were covered in oil from, what I assume to be a leaky valve cover gasket. I'm choosing to forget about this and will just not park the car facing up hill anymore.
I like the split grill. :lol: on the bolded.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:09 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:00 pm https://www.motor1.com/news/632190/niss ... ion-japan/

I like the split grill. :lol: on the bolded.
:dat:
Def an improvement, IMO.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:48 pm
Yep, I love the new Prius, actually...but I'm worried about headroom. I'd check one out for sure :doe:

How reliable are A4/5? I don't want something that's constantly at the shop or that I'm constantly doing maintenance on. I love the way they look, especially the A5 coupe.
I knew he was tall, didn't realize he was my size. He does seem to fit OK in there. Hmmm, will definitely check it out before pulling the trigger on anything.

Hard part is I do want something somewhat sporty. Not a sports car, but something that's not totally giving up. Doug's less than impressed with the performance (as expected), but it might still be OK.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:17 pm

I knew he was tall, didn't realize he was my size. He does seem to fit OK in there. Hmmm, will definitely check it out before pulling the trigger on anything.

Hard part is I do want something somewhat sporty. Not a sports car, but something that's not totally giving up. Doug's less than impressed with the performance (as expected), but it might still be OK.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:06 pm

2023 Subaru Legacy Sport

Eye sight is fantastic

My friend with the Powerboost F150 I mentioned also bought a Legacy GT last year. He bought it strictly for the comfort/dollar ratio. It's not sporty by any means but he really likes it.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/purcha ... -115636550
The sport adds the S# mode from the WRX (which a similar mode in my Cucktrek was 5/7, the most of any system I've experienced), and apparently "sport suspension" which is :notsure: That's all new for 2023, and has me super curious. Especially after reading your buddy's impression of the GT here.

The Sport has every feature I could want and it's cheaper than anything else (all of which require compromises in one way or another). Eyesight would be a godsend on long highway trips as well. I'd really like to check one out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:21 pm

WRX still gets crap gas mileage on premium no less. I'm more interested in the Legacy sport TBH.
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:52 pm
I've actually debated going full couch and finding a CT6 with super cruise. I'd absolutely consider a CT5, but for the price... :notsure:
Sticker prices are definitely high, I'd be sticking with toyota/subaru at that point too. I was assuming that the lux brand sedans would be heavily depreciated by now but :iono: since nothing makes sense anymore.
Cadillacs are still somehow commanding German lux prices. That's a tough one for me, especially knowing how they're engineered and built. I'd much rather an A4/5, which is a very intriguing proposition if reliability is there. Like you said, I think it might be. Still going to be more maintenance than a Toyota/Honda/Subaru :doe:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

It wouldn't surprise me if you could make that Legacy Sport be pretty good with minimal cost/effort. Steal an OEM rear sway bar from an STI/Outback/Ascent, whatever fits and is biggest. Pay someone $150 to give it a proper neutral alignment, and apparently grab this thing to fix the steering:

https://www.perrin.com/shop/drivetrain/ ... r-lockdown

Obviously get decent winter/summer tires at some point.
Desertbreh

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:25 pm

Cadillacs are still somehow commanding German lux prices. That's a tough one for me, especially knowing how they're engineered and built. I'd much rather an A4/5, which is a very intriguing proposition if reliability is there. Like you said, I think it might be. Still going to be more maintenance than a Toyota/Honda/Subaru :doe:
That special shade of red :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:27 pm
That special shade of red :doe:
:rolleyes: Makes it worth it!
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:25 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if you could make that Legacy Sport be pretty good with minimal cost/effort. Steal an OEM rear sway bar from an STI/Outback/Ascent, whatever fits and is biggest. Pay someone $150 to give it a proper neutral alignment, and apparently grab this thing to fix the steering:

https://www.perrin.com/shop/drivetrain/ ... r-lockdown

Obviously get decent winter/summer tires at some point.
:notbad:

This thing might not see Michigan outside of summer.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I fucking loved the A5 rental I had. It did 34-36mpg from Rochester to Daytona and back. Legroom and headroom will be fine, but you'll be sitting next to or even slightly behind the b-pillar. That might not be a problem but for my dad, who is much older than you, he struggled to get in around it. The drivetrain is pretty rock solid. General maintenance items and consumables will obviously cost more but I don't think it'll need more frequent repairs than a Subaru for example. I also MUCH prefer the UI and real buttons for almost everything in the Audi. I'd check one out but it's gonna be $20k more.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

After spending several minutes looking around, I can't actually find any details at all on the so-called "sport-tuned suspension" in the Legacy Sport or the standard car for that matter, so you'd have to get under one and actually measure the sway bars to have any idea what comes on the thing. :disgust: lack of details.
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:36 pm After spending several minutes looking around, I can't actually find any details at all on the so-called "sport-tuned suspension" in the Legacy Sport or the standard car for that matter, so you'd have to get under one and actually measure the sway bars to have any idea what comes on the thing. :disgust: lack of details.
I know! It's like they don't want to sell it at all. Apparently the suspension is new for 2023, so who knows. Would be interesting to actually measure.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm
I fucking loved the A5 rental I had. It did 34-36mpg from Rochester to Daytona and back. Legroom and headroom will be fine, but you'll be sitting next to or even slightly behind the b-pillar. That might not be a problem but for my dad, who is much older than you, he struggled to get in around it. The drivetrain is pretty rock solid. General maintenance items and consumables will obviously cost more but I don't think it'll need more frequent repairs than a Subaru for example. I also MUCH prefer the UI and real buttons for almost everything in the Audi. I'd check one out but it's gonna be $20k more.
I'd buy a used A5, which should get to be below $40k in the not so distant future. I'd also consider an A5 coupe, which would push the B pillar back
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:00 pm I also put new plugs and coils in the BEATR today. A couple plugs were covered in oil from, what I assume to be a leaky valve cover gasket. I'm choosing to forget about this and will just not park the car facing up hill anymore.
Just think of it as an oil reserve. Once they fill up, the oil will spill back over into the engine.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:40 pm

I'd buy a used A5, which should get to be below $40k in the not so distant future. I'd also consider an A5 coupe, which would push the B pillar back
Oh true. You have the 4R so you wouldn't need the hatch space of the sport back. If you were curious I could reach out to my friend at FJ Audi and ask approximately how much it would be to add extra warranty to a used or CPO A5. I'm sure it's not that much.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

It’s like a full second quicker to 60 than a cucktrek so it seems like it’s not that bad…
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:39 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:36 pm After spending several minutes looking around, I can't actually find any details at all on the so-called "sport-tuned suspension" in the Legacy Sport or the standard car for that matter, so you'd have to get under one and actually measure the sway bars to have any idea what comes on the thing. :disgust: lack of details.
I know! It's like they don't want to sell it at all. Apparently the suspension is new for 2023, so who knows. Would be interesting to actually measure.
The Lego-like nature of Subarus seems like it could work out nicely. Lots of neat little parts are compatible to fine-tune things to your liking without ruining the car with stupid coilovers and whatnot. I bet the factory Sport suspension is Subaru starting down that path themselves.
Desertbreh

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:40 pm

The actual A5 back seat is pointless like a Brostang. That goes triple for someone yuge like yourself.