Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:28 pm Everything is crap
My Tacoma is just fine, thanks. “Our” 13 year old tsx is fine too, 0 oil leaks and everything works.
Your Tacoma is ancient at its core, as is my 4R (which is also been flawless).

Anything NEW is crap.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:47 pm Speaking of the north.. just saw this:

https://krcomplexlit.com/the-newsroom/j ... mHwV8oDeSA

:doomed:
I'm shocked.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:00 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:38 pm

Since everyone seems to be throwing stones at the Flugmaster's CONCISE, SWEEPING NARRATIVE, which deserves kudos just because it is tight writing, I will voice support for my 20 year old Chevy, my 4 year old Chevy, my 6 year old Bimmer, and my hewn from granite 14 year old Mercedes. The big surprise has been the Bimmer. Yes it only has 41K on it, yes I take care of it. But nary a whimper in 6 years is :notbad: except for one code I cleared that never returned.
What’s ironic is the same auto journalists praising the F150 all claimed the F series to be the shittiest of BMWs but they’re really pretty good cars.

After renting several Mustangs I finally ‘get’ The Ford hate here though. All three had visible openings/air gaps between the windows and roof, I’m talking 0.5”+ that’s just letting wind/rain in the car 24/7, and don’t get me started on the transmission. These were all sub two year old cars too.
Auto journalists drive the fanciest things for an afternoon to week tops that are gone over with a fine tooth comb by the OEM before they get them. Their "reviews" are hardly an endorsement of owning the actual product. I've always taken their "opinion" with the tiniest grain of salt.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Yea fords are garbage and unreliable.

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:39 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:47 pm Speaking of the north.. just saw this:

https://krcomplexlit.com/the-newsroom/j ... mHwV8oDeSA

:doomed:
I'm shocked.
Sarcasm? Or was this expected?
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:59 am Yea fords are garbage and unreliable.

Heavy duty engines seem to be the one thing they can get right.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:10 am
I'm shocked.
He was saying the development at FCA rushed this. Also the range is so shitty I never understood the suckers willing to pay a premium for a 800lb weight penalty and a near single digit range.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm shocked.
Lol, yea sarcasm. These were rushed to market because of a new CEO of Jeep throwing a tantrum because Jeep was "behind in electrification". Engineering had a list of issues a mile long when they were forced into production, this system is really a mess.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:15 am

He was saying the development at FCA rushed this. Also the range is so shitty I never understood the suckers willing to pay a premium for a 800lb weight penalty and a near single digit range.
That was what we struggled with on the product side, the system is worthless. But the CEO was so focused on not looking behind, he didn't care. All he wanted was the soundbites you're seeing about electrified Jeeps.

It launched during the everything shortage, and since everything sold nomatter what at any price, they had no problem moving them. They had really aggressive volume targets that none of us thought they could hit, but the capacity was set there and they prioritized chips on the PHEVs to get them in market. These things are going to rot on lots now that people don't buy anything at any price.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Are the 4xe units any more efficient once you’re not running on your 8 miles of EV only range?

The short range is definitely sub optimal but for those of us in the short commute lovers club, it would make some difference.
ChrisoftheNorth

So, I've been low-key looking into mid-size sedans as I may be seeing some serious highway time in the coming year. Nothing serious, but I noticed something under the radar...

2023 Subaru Legacy Sport

2.4T from the Ascent/WRX, but takes regular and has more torque than the WRX 260hp/280tq
"SI-Drive" from the WRX...this is intriguing AF. The Cucktrek had something similar that completely transformed the response of the engine
Sport suspension :notsure:
Eye sight is fantastic
Sunroof, heated everything, proximity entry, $34k...probably could be had ~$30k after discounts

It's basically a big WRX. I can't find a single review of the thing, but it seems like it could be an intriguing sleeper. It's not attractive, but it's not ugly, just boring. I may try to drive one at some point.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:55 am Are the 4xe units any more efficient once you’re not running on your 8 miles of EV only range?

The short range is definitely sub optimal but for those of us in the short commute lovers club, it would make some difference.
A tad bit. Also, in warm climates, the EV range is probably pretty OK for a short commute.

Still, it's like a $9k premium, and that'll never pay back due to efficiency. You just have to want that sort of thing for reasons.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:55 am Are the 4xe units any more efficient once you’re not running on your 8 miles of EV only range?

No, 19mpg freeway baby
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:17 pm

No, 19mpg freeway baby
It should be a lot better in the city :doe:
max225

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:56 am So, I've been low-key looking into mid-size sedans as I may be seeing some serious highway time in the coming year. Nothing serious, but I noticed something under the radar...

2023 Subaru Legacy Sport

2.4T from the Ascent/WRX, but takes regular and has more torque than the WRX 260hp/280tq
"SI-Drive" from the WRX...this is intriguing AF. The Cucktrek had something similar that completely transformed the response of the engine
Eye sight is fantastic
Sunroof, heated everything, proximity entry, $34k...probably could be had ~$30k after discounts

It's basically a big WRX. I can't find a single review of the thing, but it seems like it could be an intriguing sleeper. It's not attractive, but it's not ugly, just boring. I may try to drive one at some point.
Bro… can you do a civic si? They are starting to come
Down to sticker. But I guess you’ll be locked out of winters.

Subaru sedans while decent to purchase up front. Depreciate into 4 figure oblivion by year 5, I’d rather lease something with a nicer badge for the same cost.
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:18 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:17 pm

No, 19mpg freeway baby
It should be a lot better in the city :doe:
Theoretically … but it’s also lugging 800 extra pounds over a 3.6 V6.

I’d be curious to see real world numbers without people adding “free” ev miles to dilute mpg figures
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:19 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:56 am So, I've been low-key looking into mid-size sedans as I may be seeing some serious highway time in the coming year. Nothing serious, but I noticed something under the radar...

2023 Subaru Legacy Sport

Eye sight is fantastic

Subaru sedans while decent to purchase up front. Depreciate into 4 figure oblivion by year 5, I’d rather lease something with a nicer badge for the same cost.
Civic Si doesn't come with heated seats so you're forced to buy an Integra. I have minimal interest in an Integra, and I want heated seats. I probably should drive an Integra just in case if this search gets serious.

But this would be something I'd spend many hours at a time on cruising on the highway, so I want something somewhat large inside and comfortable, with decent driver assist tech to make it a bit easier (I really liked eyesight). But I don't want to completely give up, so something somewhat sporty that can manage ~30mpg doing 80 would be 5/7.

The new Accord intrigues me, curious to hear more about that. Camry would be an option as well I guess. Sadly, it seems like most options are just crossover toasters now.

IDGAF about brands, just no Korean. I'd like reliability and low maintenance, which probably excludes any German brands.

I'll be driving the 4R since it's really comfy, but 16mpg is going to get old just for range.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

2023 Subaru Legacy Sport

Eye sight is fantastic

A guy on vortex car lounge recently got one. He seems to like it. Good power and decent handling but it’s really a couch and way more relaxed than a WRX. The big touch screen seems like people are split on it.

Worth a drive but I wouldn’t necessarily expect it to be amazing. $30k could get you into a decent BMW, Benz, Lexus or something. Warranty wouldn’t matter much if you’re going to just blow through it super fast from tons of highway Driving.
max225

Another option … dare I say it … Prius … new one is epic
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:56 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:19 pm

Civic Si doesn't come with heated seats so you're forced to buy an Integra. I have minimal interest in an Integra, and I want heated seats. I probably should drive an Integra just in case if this search gets serious.

But this would be something I'd spend many hours at a time on cruising on the highway, so I want something somewhat large inside and comfortable, with decent driver assist tech to make it a bit easier (I really liked eyesight). But I don't want to completely give up, so something somewhat sporty that can manage ~30mpg doing 80 would be 5/7.

The new Accord intrigues me, curious to hear more about that. Camry would be an option as well I guess. Sadly, it seems like most options are just crossover toasters now.

IDGAF about brands, just no Korean. I'd like reliability and low maintenance, which probably excludes any German brands.

I'll be driving the 4R since it's really comfy, but 16mpg is going to get old just for range.
What about a Jetta GLI or a used Mazda 6? My cousin bought a CPO 2018 Mazda 6 and has put many trouble-free miles on it. I think his daily commute is about 120 miles.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:01 pm Another option … dare I say it … Prius … new one is epic
Looks like headroom would suck for Chris, otherwise it's perfect.

I wonder if a base A4/A5 sedan wouldn't be a good option. They're fast and AFAIK run on 87.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I assume it's a non-starter because of the :wrong: badge, but there's always the... Cadillac CT5/CTS. AWD is pretty common and it gets ~30 mpg highway on 87 with the 2.0T or 3.6.
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:13 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:01 pm Another option … dare I say it … Prius … new one is epic

I wonder if a base A4/A5 sedan wouldn't be a good option. They're fast and AFAIK run on 87.
Yep, I love the new Prius, actually...but I'm worried about headroom. I'd check one out for sure :doe:

How reliable are A4/5? I don't want something that's constantly at the shop or that I'm constantly doing maintenance on. I love the way they look, especially the A5 coupe.
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:27 pm I assume it's a non-starter because of the :wrong: badge, but there's always the... Cadillac CT5/CTS. AWD is pretty common and it gets ~30 mpg highway on 87 with the 2.0T or 3.6.
I've actually debated going full couch and finding a CT6 with super cruise. I'd absolutely consider a CT5, but for the price... :notsure:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:30 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:13 pm

Yep, I love the new Prius, actually...but I'm worried about headroom. I'd check one out for sure :doe:

How reliable are A4/5? I don't want something that's constantly at the shop or that I'm constantly doing maintenance on. I love the way they look, especially the A5 coupe.
I feel like the 2.0T and 7-speed DSG have been used for a long time now and I haven't read anything bad about them, but I haven't looked into it in much detail. Doesn't SilverCar rent them out regularly?

Everyone focuses on the (R)S models, meanwhile the base A4 is trapping 102 mph.