OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Electric karts are really fun because they are instant throttle, and none of that smell too. Once you become comfortable with the karts and the track, the real gain in lap time is blipping around with the throttle and avoiding the brake except unless absolutely necessary!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:46 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:20 pm
Oh nice, I thought we had someone here familiar with K1!

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I can't justify buying a car, and don't have anywhere to drive it anyway. I certainly don't have the time to buy a kart or whatever and travel all over driving it. But I miss driving fast, and I miss having that as a hobby of sorts. This is gonna be :fuckyeah:
Btw weight isn’t really as relevant in the context of indoor karting. Is there a measurable difference? Maybe. But the lighter/shorter guys usually get the booster seat, metal pedal extensions, or they’re so light that they have to work the kart harder for center of gravity. So unless you’re like a 7 year old or 300+lbs the speed/pace averages out across the weight ranges
Interesting point. I'm winning in my mind if I manage to be anything other than last. And even that's ok because if I'm having fun, that's winning too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:46 pm
Btw weight isn’t really as relevant in the context of indoor karting. Is there a measurable difference? Maybe. But the lighter/shorter guys usually get the booster seat, metal pedal extensions, or they’re so light that they have to work the kart harder for center of gravity. So unless you’re like a 7 year old or 300+lbs the speed/pace averages out across the weight ranges
Interesting point. I'm winning in my mind if I manage to be anything other than last. And even that's ok because if I'm having fun, that's winning too.
Just remember that most “arrive and drive” races are fastest times, not grid finish. I’ve had idiots try to brake check me or crash me out when I’m just faster than them.

The only time they do grid races are for events (such as a private league) or their GP Challenge.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

razr390 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:10 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 pm
Just remember that most “arrive and drive” races are fastest times, not grid finish. I’ve had idiots try to brake check me or crash me out when I’m just faster than them.

The only time they do grid races are for events (such as a private league) or their GP Challenge.
Some of the more serious leagues even ballast the karts to make it even-ish across drivers.
razr390

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:58 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:10 pm

Some of the more serious leagues even ballast the karts to make it even-ish across drivers.
I guess it is up to that specific league and what K1 is willing to allow to be done to their karts.

My advice generally is for arrive and drive racing which is what Chris might be doing the most of before joining/finding/starting a league
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:43 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:58 pm

I guess it is up to that specific league and what K1 is willing to allow to be done to their karts.

My advice generally is for arrive and drive racing which is what Chris might be doing the most of before joining/finding/starting a league
Yep, that's exactly how I'd start. I'm going to be rusty AF, so need to get used to driving again. Ideally I'd be able to drive the course with my eyes closed before joining a league.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:57 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:31 am

Sounds familiar! It sucks to feel like so much time has been wasted. I still kind of live in mourning of lost decades, but am trying to give up on the idea of ever being as accomplished as I'd like. Gotta keep lowering my expectations until one day I meet them.
So my take is to do something similar, I won't get that time back so no point in losing more to it. I kind of feel like an idiot.

There are some celebratory points along the way, like an improved diet and learning new things about myself that I can build on, so I'll try and keep them at the forefront if my mind.
We're all given opportunities to learn every day of life and the only thing we can really do that's positive is try to actually learn from those situations and become happier/better us. It sounds like you're doing just that, you're not an idiot at all. You've taken many steps to take better care of yourself, be there for your family, grow your career, etc. in the past year while also learning about yourself, to me, you should be proud.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Very gray week here in the Knox.

I ordred a better used hardtop from the UK i need to go get friday am and its all rain, gross. The softtop in the car ahs a big hole where the window should be too :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I haaaate owning a House sometimes
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:53 am Image

Wow, :impressive: failure on that one. My garage door opener is a chain driven unit that has to be at least 40 years old. I need to be thinking about replacement.

I put direct drive units in my past houses. A bit pricey, but frees up a bunch of overhead space, they're quiet, and really fast.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

someone overtightened the shit out of that belt.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:58 am

Wow, :impressive: failure on that one. My garage door opener is a chain driven unit that has to be at least 40 years old. I need to be thinking about replacement.

I put direct drive units in my past houses. A bit pricey, but frees up a bunch of overhead space, they're quiet, and really fast.
:dat:

I have no idea how old ours is but it's loud, slow, and has been making what I think are unhealthy noises in recent months. It might only need some kind of adjustment, but I'm not about to touch that thing myself. Those springs are lethal.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:27 am

ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:48 am
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:58 am

I have no idea how old ours is but it's loud, slow, and has been making what I think are unhealthy noises in recent months. It might only need some kind of adjustment, but I'm not about to touch that thing myself. Those springs are lethal.
You can adjust the opener without even looking at the springs. They're independent units. Springs are scary, but I've actually worked with them a few times installing garage doors on my own, and with the proper tools and precautions they're not that bad. You do need to be somewhat strong in the upper body :doe: Bottom line, you should be able to open the door with low effort, and it should stay if opened half way with nothing (like the opener) connected.

The opener then just works off that. A lot of times the springs aren't balanced properly, which puts too much effort on the opener, and :nuke:

When we moved in our current house, the opener groaned and the chain slapped making a racket every time. I managed to find a manual for the opener online and found the chain adjustment procedure (basically just take out the slack but don't make it too taught), and that combined with some garage door spay lube, it's reasonably normal sounding (no way quiet). The light doesn't work on it, which is really annoying coming home at night, and sometimes it's iffy with receiving open/close commands from the remote, but it works. I know one day it just won't, but new openers are :waxer: so I'm kicking the can until I'm screwed.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

The chain on the opener at our townhouse has way too much slack. Sometime it gets caught in itself and the door will reverse direction. I noted it on our move in inspection forms and requested that it be fixed, but they haven’t done shit about it. It’ll cause a failure at some point, but that’s on them for being too lazy to tension the chain properly. Renter lyfe :aintcare:
max225

"nope" if anything the belt was loose. It has a tensioner built in. The unit is date stamped 2002... so I think it was just time. My chain tensioner failed exactly after 20 years in my last house also.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:26 am
Tar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:57 pm

So my take is to do something similar, I won't get that time back so no point in losing more to it. I kind of feel like an idiot.

There are some celebratory points along the way, like an improved diet and learning new things about myself that I can build on, so I'll try and keep them at the forefront if my mind.
We're all given opportunities to learn every day of life and the only thing we can really do that's positive is try to actually learn from those situations and become happier/better us. It sounds like you're doing just that, you're not an idiot at all. You've taken many steps to take better care of yourself, be there for your family, grow your career, etc. in the past year while also learning about yourself, to me, you should be proud.
Hey thanks homie, I appreciate your take on this sitch!

I was too stubborn to accept anything was wrong in my head. A stubborn :jackass: ... I could have been feeling a lot better much sooner. A year of self-loathing, exasperating every self-induced chest tightening occurance, fuck I could have just breathed through my diaphram and calmed down in like two minutes. People here were hinting at it being anxiety, but I didn't know how it works and assumed it was what I've seen from various dramatic :tits: events. It turns out you could be sitting around in complete peace and quiet and psych yourself out just DFDing or watching TV in a quiet hotel room :lolol:

Anyways, knowing what I know is a game changer and the rest is pretty easy. I love the health aspect of this lifestyle change, so overall it makes me a wiser and healthier version of my former self. I'm looking forward to happier times.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:28 pm

"nope" if anything the belt was loose. It has a tensioner built in. The unit is date stamped 2002... so I think it was just time. My chain tensioner failed exactly after 20 years in my last house also.
interesting.

welp good luck with your garage door opener replacement project.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

neat video. didnt we have a "great video of the day" thread?

ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:19 pm The chain on the opener at our townhouse has way too much slack. Sometime it gets caught in itself and the door will reverse direction. I noted it on our move in inspection forms and requested that it be fixed, but they haven’t done shit about it. It’ll cause a failure at some point, but that’s on them for being too lazy to tension the chain properly. Renter lyfe :aintcare:
Renter lyfe will likely include you manually opening and closing the garage door for 6 mos while the LL gets around to a non-critical fix.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:26 am

Hey thanks homie, I appreciate your take on this sitch!

I was too stubborn to accept anything was wrong in my head. A stubborn :jackass: ... I could have been feeling a lot better much sooner. A year of self-loathing, exasperating every self-induced chest tightening occurance, fuck I could have just breathed through my diaphram and calmed down in like two minutes. People here were hinting at it being anxiety, but I didn't know how it works and assumed it was what I've seen from various dramatic :tits: events. It turns out you could be sitting around in complete peace and quiet and psych yourself out just DFDing or watching TV in a quiet hotel room :lolol:

Anyways, knowing what I know is a game changer and the rest is pretty easy. I love the health aspect of this lifestyle change, so overall it makes me a wiser and healthier version of my former self. I'm looking forward to happier times.
This is so :fuckyeah: I can't even. :bravo: my friend!!!
max225

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:19 pm The chain on the opener at our townhouse has way too much slack. Sometime it gets caught in itself and the door will reverse direction. I noted it on our move in inspection forms and requested that it be fixed, but they haven’t done shit about it. It’ll cause a failure at some point, but that’s on them for being too lazy to tension the chain properly. Renter lyfe :aintcare:
Renter lyfe will likely include you manually opening and closing the garage door for 6 mos while the LL gets around to a non-critical fix.
Owner lyfe will include you wasting $350+ dicking with old ass shit to get it fixed up to snuff.... new unit likely won't. And or hiring someone for 1k to do it for you.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:25 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:07 pm
Owner lyfe will include you wasting $350+ picking with old ass shit to get it fixed up to snuff.... new unit likely won't
Likely, sure...but new stuff is really slapped together these days since nobody wants to work. Watching a new house be built next to me has been cringe after cringe. I'd rather control my own destiny and pick out exactly what I want. $350 on a direct drive opener is an upgrade IMO, and one that I'm OK spending the money on since it'll last 20+ years anyway.

Life costs money. The only way it doesn't is to die.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:31 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Owner lyfe will include you wasting $350+ picking with old ass shit to get it fixed up to snuff.... new unit likely won't
Likely, sure...but new stuff is really slapped together these days since nobody wants to work. Watching a new house be built next to me has been cringe after cringe. I'd rather control my own destiny and pick out exactly what I want. $350 on a direct drive opener is an upgrade IMO, and one that I'm OK spending the money on since it'll last 20+ years anyway.

Life costs money. The only way it doesn't is to die.
They're only $350? Not bad, really.

I should still check to see if there's an easy adjustment on mine in the meantime, but I'd be happy with a 3-figure replacement.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Are you going to fuck with this yourself? I would hire this shit out.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.