IX-Lemon Life.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:31 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:27 pm

Less power/torque might allow the 4 cylinder version to be programmed with more clutch slip for smoothness?
Possibly... my memory may be "tainted" but the DSG in my TDI felt better... even though it wasn't that grand either. :yikes: But you were quick to point out that I may not like this trans... I did my fair share of bitching about the DCT in the M3. It was sub-par IMO. Especially 1/20 drives it felt like the car was going to literally shake itself apart when the clutches would get confused and engage and disengage 3 times a second making your head bob like a raver.
DSG in our old TT was the same. Cool sometimes, fine sometimes, but occasionally really clunky to the point where something feels wrong. I think that's why most companies have gone away from DCTs. Using paddles helps, but nobody wants to do that on every drive.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:41 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:31 pm

Possibly... my memory may be "tainted" but the DSG in my TDI felt better... even though it wasn't that grand either. :yikes: But you were quick to point out that I may not like this trans... I did my fair share of bitching about the DCT in the M3. It was sub-par IMO. Especially 1/20 drives it felt like the car was going to literally shake itself apart when the clutches would get confused and engage and disengage 3 times a second making your head bob like a raver.
DSG in our old TT was the same. Cool sometimes, fine sometimes, but occasionally really clunky to the point where something feels wrong. I think that's why most companies have gone away from DCTs. Using paddles helps, but nobody wants to do that on every drive.
It was shockingly "lazy" to upshift... downshifts were lightning fast though. I am :notsure: why. I drove a GT3 with presumably the same trans and it was epic... this was mediocre.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:15 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:41 pm

It was shockingly "lazy" to upshift... downshifts were lightning fast though. I am :notsure: why. I drove a GT3 with presumably the same trans and it was epic... this was mediocre.
It could be engine related. The Boxster shifted instantly too, but this engine was designed primarily with the ZF8 trans in mind so maybe the engine itself doesn't like to change RPM so quickly? Definitely weird. I'd love to say drive another one to see if you feel the same but that's easier said than done.
max225

In case anyone is curious... based on california costs (gas, registration, maintenance, insurance etc) and current depreciation schedules these are the monthly costs.

Monthly COST
GTS $1,661
Base $1,261
TSX $462
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The answer is clearly get the base and keep the TSX
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:35 pm The answer is clearly get the base and keep the TSX
TSX is staying no matter what. It will go to our children's children. It was just used as a reference point.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Has BAEZN seen the RDX?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 pm Has BAEZN seen the RDX?
No acura... I don't like the brand and the premium it commands... They wanted porsche levels of money for service. So what's even the point. Honda has decided to let it go to hell....

RX350 would be decent... or something of those likes, but she doesn't seem to like em.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:42 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 pm Has BAEZN seen the RDX?
No acura... I don't like the brand and the premium it commands... They wanted porsche levels of money for service. So what's even the point. Honda has decided to let it go to hell....

RX350 would be decent... or something of those likes, but she doesn't seem to like em.
Too much of a stereotype for AZN women :lolol:

Interesting thoughts on the DCTs, everyone says PDK is absolutely incredible.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:07 am
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:42 pm

It was in the GT3… don’t know what to say. This is my personal opinion.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:33 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:07 am

Don't get me wrong, I believe you. I think your impressions are generally solid and you experienced it in real life. Just interesting to note that it would be so different on different vehicles. BUT this really loops back into Chris's info on that 10 speed in GM and Ford, it's amazing in some applications, shit in others.

I've driven the VW DCT in several applications and think it's pretty good, but then again, it's almost always paired with some 2.0T so that may make the programming easier/more consistent. A TDI wagon to an A4 to a GTI is a lot less different than Macan versus GT3 :lolol:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 am
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:33 am

Don't get me wrong, I believe you. I think your impressions are generally solid and you experienced it in real life. Just interesting to note that it would be so different on different vehicles. BUT this really loops back into Chris's info on that 10 speed in GM and Ford, it's amazing in some applications, shit in others.

I've driven the VW DCT in several applications and think it's pretty good, but then again, it's almost always paired with some 2.0T so that may make the programming easier/more consistent. A TDI wagon to an A4 to a GTI is a lot less different than Macan versus GT3 :lolol:
I expected a lot more from a company that’s charging a 30k premium for a golf 😅
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:40 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 am

Apparently it's not a Golf :sass:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:00 am
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:40 am

It isn’t. :howdareyou: I’m even trolling myself here …

Even the engine is properly rotated. And it’s not fail wheel drive. But yea I gotta figure out the best way to spend some time in a “base” 4 banger.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:05 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:00 am

Even the engine is properly rotated. And it’s not fail wheel drive. But yea I gotta figure out the best way to spend some time in a “base” 4 banger.
How far is that blue one? Ask for an overnighter
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:10 am
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:05 am

How far is that blue one? Ask for an overnighter
35 miles from me (one way). It's also 7k overpriced IMO. So that's a non starter.. non blue ones with 5-12k miles same options are 50k CPO, this one is 57k with 17k miles.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I like the color combo of this.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/344880710

Wish I had a BAEZN to shop for
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:37 pm I like the color combo of this.

Funny enough my wife finds the Porsche SUVs hideous, I've pointed them out and asked if she'd ever rock one, hard :nope:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:39 pm

Funny enough my wife finds the Porsche SUVs hideous, I've pointed them out and asked if she'd ever rock one, hard :nope:
Some chicks hate blobby round cars.
max225

I do like this as well. I am a bit lukewarm on the whole V6TT+DCT combo at the moment. I got fired up because I thought... HEY this is a great way to have a sports car for ME and an SUV for HER wrapped into 1 and it would allow me to not want a sport car any longer.... however I just don't know if a pre 2022 non GTS will fit the bill. They are just not fast and sharp enough for that.

Now clearly this (GTS or S) also comes at the drawback of commute worthy BAEZN vehicle... so I have to carefully balance the two. Like who gives a F if she puts 100 miles derping to work in a Macan that has 440hp or 240hp... end result is the same. Same interior, same stereo, same lights, same steering etc... And the I4 is way easier to maintain and a set of tires is $900 vs $1800 (yes I actually tire racked them).
max225

One thing that i think is a bit funny... I drove the Tacoma yesterday for the first time after having the porsche .... and Tacoma certainly has better headlights... And some of the "tech" is better in the taco. For ex, I can easily activate the front facing camera while driving with a button, vs having to fiddle with shit in the macan, as that menu is buried. It find front facing cams super helpful for parking. And the tacoma has automatic high beams... which the Macan did not have...

Porsche has more interior space for sure, but the tacoma gives you an epic view of the road. Gotta love the contrasts. Would love to have both in the garage still.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:48 pm

I do like this as well. I am a bit lukewarm on the whole V6TT+DCT combo at the moment. I got fired up because I thought... HEY this is a great way to have a sports car for ME and an SUV for HER wrapped into 1 and it would allow me to not want a sport car any longer.... however I just don't know if a pre 2022 non GTS will fit the bill. They are just not fast and sharp enough for that.

Now clearly this (GTS or S) also comes at the drawback of commute worthy BAEZN vehicle... so I have to carefully balance the two. Like who gives a F if she puts 100 miles derping to work in a Macan that has 440hp or 240hp... end result is the same. Same interior, same stereo, same lights, same steering etc... And the I4 is way easier to maintain and a set of tires is $900 vs $1800 (yes I actually tire racked them).
And this is the 3.0L single turbo from the SQ5.

Why the fuck did they need 3 different engines.

The camera thing is annoying. It's readily available in your truck because OFFROAD, yet in the Macan and my friend's S8 they don't really want you using it unless the car thinks it's ok. Super annoying. You have this feature please let me use it.

I think the 2.0T makes the most sense. Why compromise by getting the sporty trim for your wife's car when you may end up wanting a sports car in addition anyways.
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:55 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:48 pm

And this is the 3.0L single turbo from the SQ5.

Why the fuck did they need 3 different engines.
Its kind of hard to find info on all this mess... it's actually 4 different engines from what I can tell... maybe 6 if you include the last gens...

2.0I4 EA888 2014-2023 Base model
3.0V6 T 2014-18 S models
3.6V6 TT 2014-18 Turbo models
2.9V6T 350hp 2019-21 S models
2.9V6TT 380hp 2019-21 GTS models +22-23 S models
2.9V6TT 435hp 22+ GTS models
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Jesus. Forgot all about the 3.6, and didn't realize the S got the 2.9 before this recent facelift. They must have either been trying to differentiate from the SQ5, or aren't selling enough RS5/4 to use all the 2.9s they're pumping out.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

InB4 you drive and buy a Cayenne just to get a regular 8spd auto.