Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:18 pm
wap wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:15 pm

Yeah, some day I might buff them out, but TBH, if she :aintcare: about it, I find it difficult to care, iykwim...

I'm sure your desert sun is extremely destructive to interiors, no doubt.
It also turns anything painted black on the exterior to gray/white. Like wipers, rubber etc.

I try to keep my wife’s car the tsx of doom to good standards also. But it’s also much much older than your Hyundaze
:word:
The H still does look pretty good :doe:

Shit, wanted to post a recent-ish photo but with our power going in and out I wasn't able to. Will try later.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Speaking of dry rotted rubber vs rust, I had the BEATR on the lift up in NY.

Sure the windshield cowl is half gone, but damn if this thing isn't cleaner than my Corvette.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Zee germans have done major rustproofing to their cars sometime in the mid 90s and they have held up realy well since. I remember when I was back there they had these 10 year WARRANTY stickers all over audi's in Germany with regards to rust. Germany tends to get quite a bit of rust on their cars also as they spray their roads with shit.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

My old man had a Saab 9-3 wagon that he bought as a rebuilt wreck and put 200k miles on himself. He sold it with just under 300k miles, and he threw it on his lift before he sold it. We were :mindblown: by how clean it was underneath despite zero efforts on his end to manage rust. The rear quarter panel around the wheel was starting to show some rust bubbling, but that was it. The thing spent its entire life in Michigan, so it should have been bad.

Europeans have done a lot for rust prevention, clearly. It must be more expensive because most other manufacturers are crap in this regard.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

What surprises me is how clean the Odyssey is underneath. 10 years old, it's spent it's entire life in Indiana, but it's spotless underneath. And the thing is, EVERY Odyssey I looked at was clean. I don't know when Honda changed, but Honda sure did a lot more for rust prevention on these than they did for anything they built in the 90s.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Such bumper scraping very wow
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:10 pm Such bumper scraping very wow
Dr's offices seem to always have shitty ingress/egress to the parking lots
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:12 pm Zee germans have done major rustproofing to their cars sometime in the mid 90s and they have held up realy well since. I remember when I was back there they had these 10 year WARRANTY stickers all over audi's in Germany with regards to rust. Germany tends to get quite a bit of rust on their cars also as they spray their roads with shit.
There is certainly quite a difference in quality in my BMW versus other Japanese and American cars I've owned. The mechanical/electrical complexity makes them less reliable in some ways, but you also do get some beneshits for the higher price point.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:00 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:12 pm Zee germans have done major rustproofing to their cars sometime in the mid 90s and they have held up realy well since. I remember when I was back there they had these 10 year WARRANTY stickers all over audi's in Germany with regards to rust. Germany tends to get quite a bit of rust on their cars also as they spray their roads with shit.
There is certainly quite a difference in quality in my BMW versus other Japanese and American cars I've owned. The mechanical/electrical complexity makes them less reliable in some ways, but you also do get some beneshits for the higher price point.
Yea the 'german surcharge' isn't always a figment of the imagination. I can tell you that the E350 is far better built than any other car I have owned. Its vastly superior to the Toyota/TSX and most of the bmws I have had, even though those are built better than the japanese counterparts as well.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Rode in my friend's RHD WRX over the weekend. It's super nice. No rattles, the seats look brand new, auto down/up windows, auto climate control, Ohlins coilovers, and very tasteful quiet exhaust.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:52 pm Rode in my friend's RHD WRX over the weekend. It's super nice. No rattles, the seats look brand new, auto down/up windows, auto climate control, Ohlins coilovers, and very tasteful quiet exhaust.

That thing is so dece.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:08 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:52 pm Rode in my friend's RHD WRX over the weekend. It's super nice. No rattles, the seats look brand new, auto down/up windows, auto climate control, Ohlins coilovers, and very tasteful quiet exhaust.

That thing is so dece.
The Japanese inspection paperwork is fucking wild. Pages and pages of icons/pictures of specific parts that require inspect and description/numerical values next to each one. Apparently this inspection costs like 4 figs
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I did instinctively reach to make a downshift while slowing for a turn :lolol:
max225

Novelty factor is off the charts that's for sure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:16 pm I did instinctively reach to make a downshift while slowing for a turn :lolol:
RHD is an interesting experience for sure, I’ve had a couple rentals in the UK, it takes getting used to.

I don’t know that I would want the Subaru as an only car but it seems like a sweet buy, it should be fairly reliable with its low KM, more doors for the whores, not a ton of money for something you will never see anywhere else, probably more C&C attention than a modern Ferrari or Lamborghini.

I just hope it doesn’t disintegrate from rust in short order in NY.
Johnny_P

I’d throw some nicer ramz on it. But sweet car for sure. I always wanted a 2.5RS which is basically this but slower.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That greenhouse... visibility must be :mindblown:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:25 am That greenhouse... visibility must be :mindblown:
Easy to see out of for sure. They’re also really tiny cars so they’re pretty fun to chuck around even with the slower NA motors.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:27 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:25 am That greenhouse... visibility must be :mindblown:
Easy to see out of for sure. They’re also really tiny cars so they’re pretty fun to chuck around even with the slower NA motors.
One of these is like 5k more than a clean 2.5rs. pretty wild. Turbo Legacy wagons are 13-15k too, as are the turbo foresters. Really really tempting honestly.
max225

This is :mindblown: Americas biggest car market is behaving in insane ways due to gas prices... but also not upredictable I suppose...

Model Y is outselling F150+Silverado combined... and model 3 is outselling the next 10 vehicles combined. I am pretty sure we're being used as a petri dish for EV adoption here in cali.... Also most californias are poor AF. Some incredibly bad financial decisions are being made to "save money" on going EV out here lately ... god help us.

max225

Also noteworthy... Tacoma is outselling Maverick, Frontier, Ranger and Colorado COMBINED
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:23 pm Image

This is :mindblown: Americas biggest car market is behaving in insane ways due to gas prices... but also not upredictable I suppose...

Model Y is outselling F150+Silverado combined... and model 3 is outselling the next 10 vehicles combined. I am pretty sure we're being used as a petri dish for EV adoption here in cali.... Also most californias are poor AF. Some incredibly bad financial decisions are being made to "save money" on going EV out here lately ... god help us.

Holy shit. This is :mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:34 pm Also noteworthy... Tacoma is outselling Maverick, Frontier, Ranger and Colorado COMBINED
I was going to comment on that. Colorado is a 100k/year vehicle. Back in the day, these numbers for 6 months would have been terrible for just one month (was generally 6-10k/mo). I would have gotten fired as a brand manager for volume like this when I worked there. I think there's obviously some production volume challenges across the industry here, with OEMs balancing volume where they can. Full size truck volume looks about normal, so I bet parts that would have built Colorados are going to Silverados instead.

Tesla builds 4 models, and each of those models have minimal physical build differences between them. That's WAY easier to manage for volume, and probably why they're doing so well.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:42 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:34 pm Also noteworthy... Tacoma is outselling Maverick, Frontier, Ranger and Colorado COMBINED
I was going to comment on that. Colorado is a 100k/year vehicle. Back in the day, these numbers for 6 months would have been terrible for just one month (was generally 6-10k/mo). I would have gotten fired as a brand manager for volume like this when I worked there. I think there's obviously some production volume challenges across the industry here, with OEMs balancing volume where they can. Full size truck volume looks about normal, so I bet parts that would have built Colorados are going to Silverados instead.

Tesla builds 4 models, and each of those models have minimal physical build differences between them. That's WAY easier to manage for volume, and probably why they're doing so well.
Tesla has only been mass producing since 2012... 10 years... GM is a solid 100 years old... Of course the model complexity will be less.

I'd say Model X/S have 70% of parts in common and model Y and 3 likely 80.. So yea it is "simpler" but tesla was also missing a lot of factories... Which they are rapidly building out now.

I am just shocked with how many $70k SUVS (Model Y) tesla is able to push in cali... it is just mind boggling... If you look at things like the GLC etc which is actually CHEAPER and yet it only delivers 1/10th the volume. The amount of teslas we have in cali is clearly insane. As indicated by HOW MUCH more sales they do compared to any other vehicle sold in this state.
Compared to LY
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Tesla has only been mass producing since 2012... 10 years... GM is a solid 100 years old... Of course the model complexity will be less.

I'd say Model X/S have 70% of parts in common and model Y and 3 likely 80.. So yea it is "simpler" but tesla was also missing a lot of factories... Which they are rapidly building out now.

I am just shocked with how many $70k SUVS (Model Y) tesla is able to push in cali... it is just mind boggling... If you look at things like the GLC etc which is actually CHEAPER and yet it only delivers 1/10th the volume. The amount of teslas we have in cali is clearly insane. As indicated by HOW MUCH more sales they do compared to any other vehicle sold in this state.
Compared to LY
Oh, this chart is only CA...everything makes more sense now.

Tesla is the new "in thing/brand" in cars now...and of course CA is going to lead the way. I just don't understand how people "afford" these things, but I've never understood how people "afford" living in CA in the first place.