OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:16 pm Looks like I might have to break into my gun safe. :rage:

another big expense I didn't expect. Fuck electronic locks. stupid dumb shit.

At least b-weekend was awesomely epic.
Good reminder to change those 9 volt batteries.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:52 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:16 pm Looks like I might have to break into my gun safe. :rage:

another big expense I didn't expect. Fuck electronic locks. stupid dumb shit.

At least b-weekend was awesomely epic.
Good reminder to change those 9 volt batteries.
unless its keyed backup change it now while you can
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I hate that more and more shit is becoming electronic. :wap:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:39 pm Mouse score update:

Cat: 8
Dog: 1
JP: 1

Cat got another one. And I turned one into a speed bump while on my bike.
Dude, went on a camping/MTB trip this weekend at Tsali and hit a squirrel on my bike. It just kept running and happened so fast, I'm not exactly sure of the outcome. I'm hoping I just ran over the end of its tail or something and it was OK :sad: The thing just popped out of the woods so fast there was no changing direction.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:58 pm I hate that more and more shit is becoming electronic. :wap:
There are times and places where it is rather useful but so often it's :butwhy:

I just installed a new rear deadbolt that has a standard mechanical key and also a key pad, which is handy. I like being able to go out without keys/if someone needs to come take care of :doge: or something it's easy.

That said, it's wild some of the stuff that is now app controlled and stuff for basically no reason.
golftdibrad1

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:34 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:58 pm I hate that more and more shit is becoming electronic. :wap:

I just installed a new rear deadbolt that has a standard mechanical key and also a key pad, which is handy. I like being able to go out without keys/if someone needs to come take care of :doge: or something it's easy.

That said, it's wild some of the stuff that is now app controlled and stuff for basically no reason.
I watched the new Bill burr yesterday am and he had a great, relatable bit about exactly that

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1

where did troy move in FL? coastal tampa looking like it gonna get rocked.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I've been putting Schlage keypad deadbolts/door handles on our houses for years. The 9V batteries last for years, and they're very reliable. When I moved in to our current house, it had a keypad deadbolt where the numbers were falling off. I contacted Schlage to buy a new set of numbers and they just sent me a whole new thing for free. :mindblown:

I need to replace one on our lower door, and Costco had these Kwikset WiFi locks that match our interior door handles flawlessly. Started reading reviews and people were hammering them for battery life...lasting like a week or two at most. Thinking about it, that WiFi radio is constantly on draining battery, all for what exactly? I guess locking after leaving (if you forgot) could be useful, or letting someone in who doesn't have a code you could give them? But overall, it just seems like more hassle than its worth. I'll stick with the more simple Schlage locks.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hurricane decided to go from category 3 to 5 overnight god damn.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:03 am

I've been putting Schlage keypad deadbolts/door handles on our houses for years. The 9V batteries last for years, and they're very reliable. When I moved in to our current house, it had a keypad deadbolt where the numbers were falling off. I contacted Schlage to buy a new set of numbers and they just sent me a whole new thing for free. :mindblown:

I need to replace one on our lower door, and Costco had these Kwikset WiFi locks that match our interior door handles flawlessly. Started reading reviews and people were hammering them for battery life...lasting like a week or two at most. Thinking about it, that WiFi radio is constantly on draining battery, all for what exactly? I guess locking after leaving (if you forgot) could be useful, or letting someone in who doesn't have a code you could give them? But overall, it just seems like more hassle than its worth. I'll stick with the more simple Schlage locks.
Yep, the connected ones seem to eat batteries way faster. I went for a Kwikset unit as we already had them and I could adapt it to our existing keys. I'm also :scrooge: so I ended up taking the back door one that worked well, grinding it with my Dremel to fit in the front door fixture, tossing the busted front door barrel/lock, putting the new one in back that works with existing keys and the key pad. So far it's been pretty 5/7. I would also rather punch in some numbers on the thing than pull out my phone and all that, plus if the phone is dead, it's a friend/family member who's not connected, etc. it's fine.

Perfect example showing how functional tech can make things easier but pushing it too far is just a pain in the :knot:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:23 am Hurricane decided to go from category 3 to 5 overnight god damn.
How will that affect Central and East coast FL?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:41 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:03 am

Yep, the connected ones seem to eat batteries way faster. I went for a Kwikset unit as we already had them and I could adapt it to our existing keys. I'm also :scrooge: so I ended up taking the back door one that worked well, grinding it with my Dremel to fit in the front door fixture, tossing the busted front door barrel/lock, putting the new one in back that works with existing keys and the key pad. So far it's been pretty 5/7. I would also rather punch in some numbers on the thing than pull out my phone and all that, plus if the phone is dead, it's a friend/family member who's not connected, etc. it's fine.

Perfect example showing how functional tech can make things easier but pushing it too far is just a pain in the :knot:
Yea, simplicity in this case is critical. Being locked out of your house sucks big time, and overly techy/complex locks just seem like a recipe for :rage: I've thought about it, punching in a 4 digit code seems way easier than pulling out your phone, unlocking it, going to the app (which probably requires an update for some reason), waiting for the app to update, then unlocking your house. No thanks. The keypad locks can remember up to 10 codes at a time, so there's one only the wife and I use, and a few that we give out to house sitters and whatnot. If we've given out codes to people we know have no reason to return, I clear all the codes and start over again. I've got the programming sequence committed to memory, so it's really a ZFG exercise. I'd argue, far simpler than using an app.

Locks are simple things that have been around for ages. I too have repurposed existing locks around the house, though I re-keyed the house when we moved in because I had no clue who had keys and who didn't from before. 10 years ago at our first house, I bought a rekey kit after a locksmith quoted $100/lock to rekey (times 10 locks, it seemed like a lot). The kit was $200 at the time, and I've rekeyed 6 houses with it now (did my dad's and a friends in addition to ours). Really not hard at all, and it's proven to be a pretty valuable skill.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Tar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:19 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:23 am Hurricane decided to go from category 3 to 5 overnight god damn.
Sustained winds, storm generally stronger, and well, some parts of the west coast are predicted to suffer 12-18ft of storm surge.

:yikes:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
golftdibrad1

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:01 pm
Tar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:19 am

Sustained winds, storm generally stronger, and well, some parts of the west coast are predicted to suffer 12-18ft of storm surge.

yea... FL is about to have a difficult couple of weeks
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:20 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:41 am

Yea, simplicity in this case is critical. Being locked out of your house sucks big time, and overly techy/complex locks just seem like a recipe for :rage: I've thought about it, punching in a 4 digit code seems way easier than pulling out your phone, unlocking it, going to the app (which probably requires an update for some reason), waiting for the app to update, then unlocking your house. No thanks. The keypad locks can remember up to 10 codes at a time, so there's one only the wife and I use, and a few that we give out to house sitters and whatnot. If we've given out codes to people we know have no reason to return, I clear all the codes and start over again. I've got the programming sequence committed to memory, so it's really a ZFG exercise. I'd argue, far simpler than using an app.

Locks are simple things that have been around for ages. I too have repurposed existing locks around the house, though I re-keyed the house when we moved in because I had no clue who had keys and who didn't from before. 10 years ago at our first house, I bought a rekey kit after a locksmith quoted $100/lock to rekey (times 10 locks, it seemed like a lot). The kit was $200 at the time, and I've rekeyed 6 houses with it now (did my dad's and a friends in addition to ours). Really not hard at all, and it's proven to be a pretty valuable skill.
Agreed.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:28 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:01 pm

yea... FL is about to have a difficult couple of weeks
P1 RIP.
Storm surge in Ft Myers hitting 12 ft.

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Storm surges seem to be doing the most of the damage .. which always surprises me considering the insane wind speeds quoted
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:09 pm Storm surges seem to be doing the most of the damage .. which always surprises me considering the insane wind speeds quoted
Its almost like a rising sea level is a bad thing or something.

Flood waters make you throw a lot of shit out.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:43 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:09 pm Storm surges seem to be doing the most of the damage .. which always surprises me considering the insane wind speeds quoted

Bad mattressbgone
golftdibrad1

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:06 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:43 pm

Bad mattressbgone
oh god they are so heavy too.

that P1 is worth too much to not get fixed. But with the electrics perhaps its legit not possible? Anyway owner is a dick and/or wanted out from under it - no one leaves a car like that in the path of a hurricane unless you WANT it gone.
razr390

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:05 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:06 am

Bad mattressbgone

that P1 is worth too much to not get fixed. But with the electrics perhaps its legit not possible? Anyway owner is a dick and/or wanted out from under it - no one leaves a car like that in the path of a hurricane unless you WANT it gone.
It was in his garage with his rolls Royce. He had just purchased it 2 weeks prior with delivery miles. Something tells me that insurance convenience isn’t the case here
golftdibrad1

razr390 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:29 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:05 am

It was in his garage with his rolls Royce. He had just purchased it 2 weeks prior with delivery miles. Something tells me that insurance convenience isn’t the case here
Yea i saw some insta after posting of the guy getting supplies with it. I guess he's a transplant to florida.

If its rank stupidity, well it supports my position that it should hurt more.
ChrisoftheNorth

If I spent $1M on a HYBRID car and there was even a whiff of a hurricane hitting my area, I'd be taking some serious steps to protect it. That thing is toast, it makes no sense.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:22 am If I spent $1M on a HYBRID car and there was even a whiff of a hurricane hitting my area, I'd be taking some serious steps to protect it. That thing is toast, it makes no sense.
Insurance pays you more than the pos is worth. You can get an even nicer hybrid.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:28 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:22 am If I spent $1M on a HYBRID car and there was even a whiff of a hurricane hitting my area, I'd be taking some serious steps to protect it. That thing is toast, it makes no sense.
Insurance pays you more than the pos is worth. You can get an even nicer hybrid.
I'm too poor to understand such things.