:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:13 am More :fullretard: in the small truck market. Toyota's are just :butwhy:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987- ... pickup-41/

191k miles. 1987. "carbureted 2.4-liter 22R inline-four was rated at 100 horsepower and 129 lb-ft of torque when new."

How is this a $17k vehicle?
Square shape is classic, first boss looking Toyota 4WD pickup, movie cred from Back to the Future, this has cred like a Mk1 GTI has cred.
I completely get the want, just not at that price point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:35 pm

Square shape is classic, first boss looking Toyota 4WD pickup, movie cred from Back to the Future, this has cred like a Mk1 GTI has cred.
Compared to a $105K FJ, that thing is a fargin bargain.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:05 pm
Compared to a $105K FJ, that thing is a fargin bargain.
The FJ market is off the rails... Initially I thought the 3k mile Lake Tahoe Estate kept manual FJ cruiser formally owned by Jerry Seinfeld for 68k was lunacy... but now it seems like an absolute bargain.
ChrisoftheNorth

The entire Toyota 4x4 market is off the rails.

And sure, they're more reliable than most, but they're still old vehicles with old vehicle shit. Vacuum leaks, sensor failures, etc, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:06 pm The entire Toyota 4x4 market is off the rails.

And sure, they're more reliable than most, but they're still old vehicles with old vehicle shit. Vacuum leaks, sensor failures, etc, etc.
Sort of yea... but they are literally 1 degree of separation away from tractors. The 2001 model that I have dealt with on the regular really is built way better than most anything today. 0 oil leaks still... never needed a single sensor 251k miles later.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:53 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:13 am More :fullretard: in the small truck market. Toyota's are just :butwhy:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987- ... pickup-41/

191k miles. 1987. "carbureted 2.4-liter 22R inline-four was rated at 100 horsepower and 129 lb-ft of torque when new."

How is this a $17k vehicle?
I think the way I would look at these is a rolling experience and a Time Capsule. Point of entry at this price just seems like it’ll maintain at that level for infinity. And it’s dirt cheap to operate say compared to a Ferrari of the same era … yet the tactile experience is comparable from a Time Capsule perspective.
:dat: at this point it is a classic car, not a utility vehicle.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I kind of get it. I would love to drive around in an 80s car because I love the aesthetic of the era, the raw, mechanical feel, etc. Toyota 4x4 will be more reliable than anything else from the era - trucks are built more durably than cars in general and Toyota has some of the best quality. These vehicles were also bare bones, less to break. Yes, it will have old car shit, but it would be easier to live with than most and still fun to cruise in.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:06 pm The entire Toyota 4x4 market is off the rails.

Sort of yea... but they are literally 1 degree of separation away from tractors. The 2001 model that I have dealt with on the regular really is built way better than most anything today. 0 oil leaks still... never needed a single sensor 251k miles later.
:notsure:

I was shopping these things hard, there's plenty of normal old vehicle issues with them from what I was finding. Particularly with things like vacuum leaks and oil leaks from valve covers and sometimes RMS. One dude was asking $18k for a really clean 2000 that "wouldn't idle right" I KNOW THE MARKET AND I KNOW WHAT I HAVE SHOULD BE EASY FIX

Are they better than most? Absolutely. But old vehicle issues plague all old vehicles IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:05 pm I kind of get it. I would love to drive around in an 80s car because I love the aesthetic of the era, the raw, mechanical feel, etc. Toyota 4x4 will be more reliable than anything else from the era - trucks are built more durably than cars in general and Toyota has some of the best quality. These vehicles were also bare bones, less to break. Yes, it will have old car shit, but it would be easier to live with than most and still fun to cruise in.
I don't quite get the point of a truck that you don't do truck things with. These pickups are too nice to treat like trucks, so I still don't see the point. I feel this way about any "collectible" truck. If you're going after nostalgia, buy a car. An MR2 or something like that. :iono:

1st Gen 4Runners are cool AF though, and I get those. Basically a truck with a seat and roll bar in the back. That would be fun to cruise around in with the top off.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:35 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:05 pm I kind of get it. I would love to drive around in an 80s car because I love the aesthetic of the era, the raw, mechanical feel, etc. Toyota 4x4 will be more reliable than anything else from the era - trucks are built more durably than cars in general and Toyota has some of the best quality. These vehicles were also bare bones, less to break. Yes, it will have old car shit, but it would be easier to live with than most and still fun to cruise in.
I don't quite get the point of a truck that you don't do truck things with. These pickups are too nice to treat like trucks, so I still don't see the point. I feel this way about any "collectible" truck. If you're going after nostalgia, buy a car. An MR2 or something like that. :iono:

1st Gen 4Runners are cool AF though, and I get those. Basically a truck with a seat and roll bar in the back. That would be fun to cruise around in with the top off.
At this point any thing of the era is slow and probably doesn’t drive great, I guess some people just prefer the look? I’d say that’s what it comes down to. There were also way more produced. Finding an 80s MR2, Celica, Prelude, etc in that condition would be hard.

I also personally wouldn’t have an issue throwing shit in the bed here and there even if owned for nostalgia. I only need a truck a couple of times per year to get mulch and stuff like that. I’d throw it in the back of an 80s thing NFG.

Just bring devil’s advocate here though, I’m not buying one although I kinda want one.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:45 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:35 am

At this point any thing of the era is slow and probably doesn’t drive great,
excuse me
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:59 am

excuse me
This is what I was getting at. There's a ton of fun cars that are still affordable and provide nostalgia.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

excuse me
They are slow and don't drive that great though in terms of outright performance (particularly stock, great platform if modded). They're a ton of fun though. That is the whole point, anything from that era is sort of a POS by any objective measure, so get what's fun to you.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:22 am

excuse me
They are slow and don't drive that great though in terms of outright performance (particularly stock, great platform if modded). They're a ton of fun though. That is the whole point, anything from that era is sort of a POS by any objective measure, so get what's fun to you.
I'll give you slow but :howdareu: say they don't drive great. :howdareu:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:31 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:19 pm

:notsure:

I was shopping these things hard, there's plenty of normal old vehicle issues with them from what I was finding. Particularly with things like vacuum leaks and oil leaks from valve covers and sometimes RMS. One dude was asking $18k for a really clean 2000 that "wouldn't idle right" I KNOW THE MARKET AND I KNOW WHAT I HAVE SHOULD BE EASY FIX

Are they better than most? Absolutely. But old vehicle issues plague all old vehicles IMO.
No doubt, the thing I noticed with Toyotas is that most people think they don’t need anything because “it’s a Toyota”. So you have shit on original plugs at 200k miles. Even the one I brought back had 0/4 working shocks… original belts etc.
max225

excuse me
NAs are classic cars at this point … no thanks.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:48 am

excuse me
sure, but that's the other side of the argument that Dan & Chris were personally ok with.

But also, cheap insurance. And also, lifetime antique plates.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:01 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:48 am

sure, but that's the other side of the argument that Dan & Chris were personally ok with.

But also, cheap insurance. And also, lifetime antique plates.
:dat:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I don't particularly like the NA either. Especially not for what a non beater goes for now.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:29 pm I don't particularly like the NA either. Especially not for what a non beater goes for now.
Prices are getting out of control, stupid really. When this next recession sets in i bet they come down.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:33 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:29 pm I don't particularly like the NA either. Especially not for what a non beater goes for now.
Prices are getting out of control, stupid really. When this next recession sets in i bet they come down.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 69913.html

4 figures for a fully prepped Miata seems cheap. About 1/2 of the markup on an average new ev.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:55 pm

4 figures for a fully prepped Miata seems cheap. About 1/2 of the markup on an average new ev.
This does not seem like a terrible deal at all. :iono:

Anything under $10k that has documented work and clean overall is a good deal these days it seems.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:26 pm

Anything under $10k that has documented work and clean overall is a good deal these days it seems.
:fullretard:

I see a basket case with bad paint that needs a transmission out service and a soft top. its a 3k car with a 1.5k hardtop and 1k or so worth of wheels. MIGHT be worth 6 to right person.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:26 pm

:fullretard:

I see a basket case with bad paint that needs a transmission out service and a soft top. its a 3k car with a 1.5k hardtop and 1k or so worth of wheels. MIGHT be worth 6 to right person.
Bro...$6k buys rusted heaps right now. I got my S10 for $6k (which I know traditionally would be a stupid price) and it was by far the cleanest thing I found for the price. Nobody wants them, so there's some downward price pressure even. Fun cars are worse, now that they're pretty much unobtainium and every one desirable for some reason, they've all come up in price drastically.

Inflation sucks.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

You wouldn't touch one with any of "the bad" though.