OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:39 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:33 pm

Work sucks, that why we get PAID to do. If it was fun it wouldn't have a $ figure associated with it. Hey man imagine all the people waking up and going to work to a McDonalds to serve angry customers every day. Things are good
You are :notwrong: hence why I feel like maybe therapy would be beneficial. Like I get that on paper I am very well off on this front and yet I still am constantly :disgust: by it. It also causes an overarching feeling of how pointless my life is. I am a cog in a pretty pointless machine to make money to selfishly spend and that's pretty much the circle of life. I don't know why this bothers me, the same is true for nearly everyone in the USA.

:ohwell:
We as humans are wired funny. It always seems like we don't have "enough" and things are "pointless" etc. But yea I get it... It doesn't hurt to talk it over with a 3rd party. Or just looks at your life and all the things to be thankful for...
A roof over the head
Food in your belly
Health
and some wealth
99% of people likely can't say the same.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:46 pm

You are :notwrong: hence why I feel like maybe therapy would be beneficial. Like I get that on paper I am very well off on this front and yet I still am constantly :disgust: by it. It also causes an overarching feeling of how pointless my life is. I am a cog in a pretty pointless machine to make money to selfishly spend and that's pretty much the circle of life. I don't know why this bothers me, the same is true for nearly everyone in the USA.

We as humans are wired funny. It always seems like we don't have "enough" and things are "pointless" etc. But yea I get it... It doesn't hurt to talk it over with a 3rd party. Or just looks at your life and all the things to be thankful for...
A roof over the head
Food in your belly
Health
and some wealth
99% of people likely can't say the same.
Yep, I 100% agree. Which is why it's such an odd feeling. But you're right, humans seem to be sort of naturally pessimistic and very much greedy for the next/better/bigger thing, whatever that may be.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:16 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:14 pm

Inorite??!!?? :really:

It was righted this morning. They're rebuilding the road that is my cross street. You can sort of see it in the background. This Corvette body is for the workers.
:lolol: Corvette body. Buttbrub tub.
:notbad: :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm Man, my give a damn is busted as usual on a Monday. All this talk of therapy has me thinking maybe I need it. I have a great life, a wife who loves me, friends/family, a dece place to live, get to do a lot of cool shit I enjoy, and yet I find my career so damn depressing. Like it is just utterly pointless and sucky and yet I will need to carry on with it for 30-40 more years.

In the start of this new role, I certainly felt happier but I'm pretty much back to :disgust: phase and now actually making less money for significantly more stress and work.

:ohwell: :crang:
Work sucks, that why we get PAID to do. If it was fun it wouldn't have a $ figure associated with it. Hey man imagine all the people waking up and going to work to a McDonalds to serve angry customers every day. Things are good
Yup. I find myself saying this exact same thing to the :millennial: s that I know/work with.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:16 pm

Yup. I find myself saying this exact same thing to the :millennial: s that I know/work with.
:sass: :lolol:

You'd think I'd have it all figured out by now, 33 years old and been employed since 15. :disgust:
wap

Took today and tomorrow off so I can start work on the patio/firepit project. Ordered 2.5 tons of crushed stone (grade 8 CA6 limestone). $188.95 delivered. It'll be here tomorrow morning. :yikes:
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:17 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:16 pm

You'd think I'd have it all figured out by now, 33 years old and been employed since 15. :disgust:
Sorry, didn't mean to make that sound preachy. It's just that with being busier than ever and social media and politics :bs: impacting everyone more than ever, it is easier than ever to miss the :fuckyeah: life forest for the :eeyore: trees, if you know what I mean.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I wouldn't say that is entirely true. This is really a discussion of your retirement ambition, yes? You are not just working to buy.......fancy crap. Is working everyday for 40 years so you can buy track cars to tear the shit out of and rebuild as you consume the earth's resources pointless? Sadly, it probably is. But what you are purchasing with your labor is not fancy crap........you are purchasing freedom. On a far more advanced level than an indentured servant but nonetheless comparable in many ways. You are working to build a financial situation in which ultimately you are beholden to no one......you don't owe anybody shit. You don't need the .gov to feed you, nor do you need to procreate to make little Griffs to take care of you. Freedom is a status in which you can devote your time to friends, to family, to youth, to charity......as much as you wish. And that's before we get to the crotchfruit dilemmia. Prioritize advancement to freeman vs. having a bunch of useless shit like a lemming. COUNTERPOINT; You can't obtain your freedom overnight, so you are entitled to cushion the blow with a few niceties along the way.

I think its common to feel this way at your age. You are also taking your and the Mrs. excellent current health for granted. Some people would give a LOT of money to simply wake up and and ride a bike for 50 miles.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:17 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to make that sound preachy. It's just that with being busier than ever and social media and politics :bs: impacting everyone more than ever, it is easier than ever to miss the :fuckyeah: life forest for the :eeyore: trees, if you know what I mean.
I was joking on the :sass: , no offnse taken and you are :notwrong:

I am
:millennial: :millennial: :millennial:
:millennial: :crang: :millennial:
:millennial: :millennial: :millennial:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:25 pm

I wouldn't say that is entirely true. This is really a discussion of your retirement ambition, yes? You are not just working to buy.......fancy crap. Is working everyday for 40 years so you can buy track cars to tear the shit out of and rebuild as you consume the earth's resources pointless? Sadly, it probably is. But what you are purchasing with your labor is not fancy crap........you are purchasing freedom. On a far more advanced level than an indentured servant but nonetheless comparable in many ways. You are working to build a financial situation in which ultimately you are beholden to no one......you don't owe anybody shit. You don't need the .gov to feed you, nor do you need to procreate to make little Griffs to take care of you. Freedom is a status in which you can devote your time to friends, to family, to youth, to charity......as much as you wish. And that's before we get to the crotchfruit dilemmia. Prioritize advancement to freeman vs. having a bunch of useless shit like a lemming. COUNTERPOINT; You can't obtain your freedom overnight, so you are entitled to cushion the blow with a few niceties along the way.

I think its common to feel this way at your age. You are also taking your and the Mrs. excellent current health for granted. Some people would give a LOT of money to simply wake up and and ride a bike for 50 miles.
I think the freedom viewpoint is a good one. I suppose that's really what we're all aspiring too. I also try to (and do) enjoy it along the way. Just a case of the Mondays :disgust:

And the health thing is very easy to take for granted but shouldn't be. I have been helping take care of my dad recently as he's not doing so hot and it's wild how quickly things can turn south with one's body. Worth being grateful every day you can walk around and have the freedom of mobility and the ability to take care of yourself.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:39 am
Tar wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:22 am

Yes and yes, he is an introverted sensory overload kid. He loves ball hockey, soccer and TKD, but we'll run a few options by him this winter. He was taking euk lessons and had fun with it, no pressure just tinkering with an instructor once per week.
I think finding something he truly enjoys and can use as something to focus on outside of the normal doldrums of like is so key.

When I was a kid I was bullied mercilessly for years. I was 4 years old when I started kindergarten and easily the youngest kid in class by at least 3-4 months. At that time we lived in a pretty nice neighborhood in an otherwise decaying part of town with a shitty school district, so rather than send me to the public schools my parents decided to go the private route, but I was so young the Catholic and Lutheran schools wouldn't take me. Caterbury, this fancy-ass rich folks' school would, probably as a charity case. We didn't have a lot of money, and what tuition we did still have to pay my grandparents paid for. I stayed there through 6th grade until my parents moved, and can't begin to tell you how much I contemplated not living anymore. Not only was I bullied because I was just younger and behind everybody else, both physically and socially, but also because I didn't have the clothes other kids did, my parents didn't have the same kinds of cars, etc. etc.

My parents moved to a different school district and for 7th grade I switched schools, which was a good start. It gave me the opportunity to start fresh with new people in a new place. Thankfully I also hit puberty early, so I went from 4'10" at the beginning of 7th grade to 5'9" by the end of 8th. I finally felt like I could stand up for myself. It wasn't until I really started getting into hockey and being an athlete that I developed any real sense of self-confidence, though. I found a group of people with whom I had a common goal and passion, and that brought me out of my shell. I really haven't had the same kinds of thoughts since, even dealing with all of the changes in life that have been brought on by having 3 children within the span of 20 months and raising them through a pandemic.

At least for me, finding that thing I loved doing and having a group to bond with over that same thing was huge. Hopefully your son can lean into those things he loves to do and limit his exposure to the things or people he doesn't like. Find some purpose, something to look forward to. And maybe most importantly, when he's doing that thing he loves, he won't be thinking about anything else.
Thank you for taking the time to post this. It's uplifting to hear so many people here overcome similar anxieties, I think the little guy stands a good chance too.

We spent a lot of quality time and he was all smiles today, it only took 110% of my attention. It'll be a long 10-15 yrs! (Wouldn't trade it for anything)

Splash pad will cheer any kid up!

He flew a kite that he got from his buddy almost a month ago.

Fucking sand castle and shit haha:

It's nice to see a smile on his face. He's definitely a one-on-one kind of kid and needs that kind of time now and then.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Glad to see him smile. He will pull through, he sounds like he has a great dad also !

Also who is the 5/7 behind him ?!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:03 pm Glad to see him smile. He will pull through, he sounds like he has a great dad also !

Also who is the 5/7 behind him ?!
Aw thanks man, hopefully! It's funny, there's no half-assing parenting, all or nothing or so it seems.

Just some randos on the beach. There was so much T&N today and the bikini trend is currently full exposure less an inch.
wap

Tar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:54 pm
coogles wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:39 am

I think finding something he truly enjoys and can use as something to focus on outside of the normal doldrums of like is so key.

When I was a kid I was bullied mercilessly for years. I was 4 years old when I started kindergarten and easily the youngest kid in class by at least 3-4 months. At that time we lived in a pretty nice neighborhood in an otherwise decaying part of town with a shitty school district, so rather than send me to the public schools my parents decided to go the private route, but I was so young the Catholic and Lutheran schools wouldn't take me. Caterbury, this fancy-ass rich folks' school would, probably as a charity case. We didn't have a lot of money, and what tuition we did still have to pay my grandparents paid for. I stayed there through 6th grade until my parents moved, and can't begin to tell you how much I contemplated not living anymore. Not only was I bullied because I was just younger and behind everybody else, both physically and socially, but also because I didn't have the clothes other kids did, my parents didn't have the same kinds of cars, etc. etc.

My parents moved to a different school district and for 7th grade I switched schools, which was a good start. It gave me the opportunity to start fresh with new people in a new place. Thankfully I also hit puberty early, so I went from 4'10" at the beginning of 7th grade to 5'9" by the end of 8th. I finally felt like I could stand up for myself. It wasn't until I really started getting into hockey and being an athlete that I developed any real sense of self-confidence, though. I found a group of people with whom I had a common goal and passion, and that brought me out of my shell. I really haven't had the same kinds of thoughts since, even dealing with all of the changes in life that have been brought on by having 3 children within the span of 20 months and raising them through a pandemic.

At least for me, finding that thing I loved doing and having a group to bond with over that same thing was huge. Hopefully your son can lean into those things he loves to do and limit his exposure to the things or people he doesn't like. Find some purpose, something to look forward to. And maybe most importantly, when he's doing that thing he loves, he won't be thinking about anything else.
Thank you for taking the time to post this. It's uplifting to hear so many people here overcome similar anxieties, I think the little guy stands a good chance too.

We spent a lot of quality time and he was all smiles today, it only took 110% of my attention. It'll be a long 10-15 yrs! (Wouldn't trade it for anything)

It's nice to see a smile on his face. He's definitely a one-on-one kind of kid and needs that kind of time now and then.
:fuckyeah:
Great to see him enjoying himself.
Also, :wub: dat toothless smile. :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:32 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:54 pm

:fuckyeah:
Great to see him enjoying himself.
Also, :wub: dat toothless smile. :lol:
:wub:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm Man, my give a damn is busted as usual on a Monday. All this talk of therapy has me thinking maybe I need it. I have a great life, a wife who loves me, friends/family, a dece place to live, get to do a lot of cool shit I enjoy, and yet I find my career so damn depressing. Like it is just utterly pointless and sucky and yet I will need to carry on with it for 30-40 more years.

In the start of this new role, I certainly felt happier but I'm pretty much back to :disgust: phase and now actually making less money for significantly more stress and work.

We could all use some therapy, it's a tough and turbulent world we live in. Sorry, it's been a bummer of a weekend for me and I hope I'm not projecting too much negativity on the group.

The corporate grind doesn't help, those middle manager types are being paid to figure out how to make their workers produce more and get paid less. What a fking scam, I'm just happy that I'm self employed and still busy. It's no easy feat, but it at least offers some level of control and independence. It has it's own challenges and obstacles, so there really isn't any one easy route. Just gotta find joy in what you're doing or do it for the paycheck and :aintcare: I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:21 am

We could all use some therapy, it's a tough and turbulent world we live in. Sorry, it's been a bummer of a weekend for me and I hope I'm not projecting too much negativity on the group.

The corporate grind doesn't help, those middle manager types are being paid to figure out how to make their workers produce more and get paid less. What a fking scam, I'm just happy that I'm self employed and still busy. It's no easy feat, but it at least offers some level of control and independence. It has it's own challenges and obstacles, so there really isn't any one easy route. Just gotta find joy in what you're doing or do it for the paycheck and :aintcare: I guess.
Nah, you're good. This is obviously an open forum (other than Brad's political rants apparently lol) to express the good and bad in life.

The self employed thing is :impressive: I don't know if I could :doit: , major pros and cons there. Seems like a good way to go if you have the motivation and skills :doe:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:44 am
Tar wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:21 am

Nah, you're good. This is obviously an open forum (other than Brad's political rants apparently lol) to express the good and bad in life.

The self employed thing is :impressive: I don't know if I could :doit: , major pros and cons there. Seems like a good way to go if you have the motivation and skills :doe:
Apparently cucky liberals get real mad when you point out their BLATANT hypocrisy. :iono:

Anywho, yall real fucking sad up in here, what gives?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:48 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:44 am

Apparently cucky liberals get real mad when you point out their BLATANT hypocrisy. :iono:

Alright, alright, let's not go down the path. Things around here have been fun and primarily car focused of late. Let's keep it that way.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:49 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:48 am

Alright, alright, let's not go down the path. Things around here have been fun and primarily car focused of late. Let's keep it that way.
Sure, but the manchild is a dipshit and you know it deep in your bones. Besides he gone, done chased himself and everyone off to their private echo chamber.

Yes your house your rules doe. I'll keep my opinions to myself unless directly asked/attacked again.

Anyway, cars. I put a kia engine in my Miata. :lol:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Glad I’m generally able to stay in the mindset that the job is just a means to an end and allows me to do all the things I enjoy outside of those hours. It probably helps a ton that I almost never actually put in a full 8/40 hours and I’m so focused throughout the day on what time it is and when I’m eating my next meal :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:57 am Glad I’m generally able to stay in the mindset that the job is just a means to an end and allows me to do all the things I enjoy outside of those hours. It probably helps a ton that I almost never actually put in a full 8/40 hours and I’m so focused throughout the day on what time it is and when I’m eating my next meal :lol:
Yep it's a good way to look at it. In reflecting yesterday and over the weekend, I think I need to focus on being a bit more :aintcare: as far as work goes, do what I need to do, the best I can, let go of the rest.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:55 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:49 am

Sure, but the manchild is a dipshit and you know it deep in your bones. Besides he gone, done chased himself and everyone off to their private echo chamber.

Yes your house your rules doe. I'll keep my opinions to myself unless directly asked/attacked again.

Anyway, cars. I put a kia engine in my Miata. :lol:
Kia engine? Do tell
Johnny_P

I’m pretty unhappy in my career as well Dan. I was way less happy at the refinery. Took a big pay cut to come to utilities and it was a good move for me. Still not what I want but the time and effort commitment is less which has worked out well now that I have a kid.

Hopefully power generation has a new injection of life and I can transition away from fossil fuels in the future.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:03 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:57 am Glad I’m generally able to stay in the mindset that the job is just a means to an end and allows me to do all the things I enjoy outside of those hours. It probably helps a ton that I almost never actually put in a full 8/40 hours and I’m so focused throughout the day on what time it is and when I’m eating my next meal :lol:
Yep it's a good way to look at it. In reflecting yesterday and over the weekend, I think I need to focus on being a bit more :aintcare: as far as work goes, do what I need to do, the best I can, let go of the rest.
I suggest you buy a copy of What Color Is Your Parachute and go through the exercises in the book. It helped me with my career struggles.