Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:41 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:18 pm

$47/ton + $65 delivery for CA6 crushed limestone. $193 + tax is :waxer: ?
Who the fk has these prices ?! :amazing: $65 for a $500 delivery
<$200 delivered :bruh:

Here's there price list. I'm in Zone 3 for delivery. Mind you, this isn't decorative rock. It's CA6 crushed limestone that I'm using for the base, or foundation, of the fire pit and the gravel patio, and probably some gravel paths that I'll be putting in next year. But even their nicer river rock is $52/ton.

Another place near these guys were at $44/ton but $100 delivery. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:08 am Having a rock yard is pretty hideous in NC as it will just constantly have weeds coming through. I would prefer we just left more of it woods.

:ohwell:
I plan on putting landscape fabric down for a weed barrier before I dump the rocks in. That should hopefully keep the weeds down.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 am Image
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:41 pm

Who the fk has these prices ?! :amazing: $65 for a $500 delivery

Here's there price list. I'm in Zone 3 for delivery. Mind you, this isn't decorative rock. It's CA6 crushed limestone that I'm using for the base, or foundation, of the fire pit and the gravel patio, and probably some gravel paths that I'll be putting in next year. But even their nicer river rock is $52/ton.

These are great 👍🏻 We just don’t have these here
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I want a small yard for the dog and the toddler. Just enough to play in.

I wouldn’t have a problem letting a front yard turn into a more natural meadow type thing if it weren’t for the damn ticks.
wap

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 am
wap wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 am

These are great 👍🏻 We just don’t have these here
Dat greatest weather in the world tax.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:08 am Having a rock yard is pretty hideous in NC as it will just constantly have weeds coming through. I would prefer we just left more of it woods.

:ohwell:
I plan on putting landscape fabric down for a weed barrier before I dump the rocks in. That should hopefully keep the weeds down.
Very wise, and I'd suggest not cheaping out on the fabric so it lasts a while. We bought some cheap fabric at Costco for a project a few houses ago, and within a year weeds were growing through it. I pulled out the rocks in the area and found little tears in the fabric that weeds were growing through :rage: ensued, I pulled the weeds and we sold the house a month later (not because of the weeds)

When we had the retaining walls rebuilt here, the dudes used some insane fabric...it's actually a woven plastic like a tarp with a fabric type lining on top. They said it's what they use for commercial retaining wall and landscaping jobs, it's what I intend to put down when we do gravel around the house eventually. They said it's "really expensive" and I asked them what it was and they just left me the rest of the roll they bought for our job. No indication of what it is, though.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:55 am
wap wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 am

Very wise, and I'd suggest not cheaping out on the fabric so it lasts a while. We bought some cheap fabric at Costco for a project a few houses ago, and within a year weeds were growing through it. I pulled out the rocks in the area and found little tears in the fabric that weeds were growing through :rage: ensued, I pulled the weeds and we sold the house a month later (not because of the weeds)

When we had the retaining walls rebuilt here, the dudes used some insane fabric...it's actually a woven plastic like a tarp with a fabric type lining on top. They said it's what they use for commercial retaining wall and landscaping jobs, it's what I intend to put down when we do gravel around the house eventually. They said it's "really expensive" and I asked them what it was and they just left me the rest of the roll they bought for our job. No indication of what it is, though.
That was nice of them! Yeah, I'm getting at least the 25 year, or "lifetime" stuff for sure. :waxer: to be sure, but it will be worth it if I'm weed free for years and years.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Tar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:16 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:36 pm

We had a small vegetable garden growing up and a few fruit trees in the backyard. Was really nice. I’d like to do that when we have a house/yard of our own. Think it’d help with my plan to get/keep the kiddos engaged and enjoying eating vegetables. Every year we’d get to pick a veggies we wanted to plant in the garden along with the standard stuff my mom always did like zucchini, watermelon, corn, and carrots.. I picked beets one year not having ever tried them, and was so pumped, but the ants found them buried underground while tunneling and completely ate all of them :(
Kids are great with gardens, my little ones love to eat from bushes and plants at my moms place..
We planted two apple trees in a public park on the back side of my fence. My place is already kitted out and can't really take new trees, so we put them in the next best place lol
:fuckyeah:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P

Tar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:16 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:36 pm

We had a small vegetable garden growing up and a few fruit trees in the backyard. Was really nice. I’d like to do that when we have a house/yard of our own. Think it’d help with my plan to get/keep the kiddos engaged and enjoying eating vegetables. Every year we’d get to pick a veggies we wanted to plant in the garden along with the standard stuff my mom always did like zucchini, watermelon, corn, and carrots.. I picked beets one year not having ever tried them, and was so pumped, but the ants found them buried underground while tunneling and completely ate all of them :(
Kids are great with gardens, my little ones love to eat from bushes and plants at my moms place..
We planted two apple trees in a public park on the back side of my fence. My place is already kitted out and can't really take new trees, so we put them in the next best place lol
Julian will absolutely pound tomatoes that are fresh from the garden at grandma’s. He loves picking them and eating them right there.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

GR86 Cup, built in Mooresville, NC
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:wtf: is wrong with these people and families.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:23 pm
Watched most of this the other day, really interesting comparison. Sounds like the cars are quite different and the Supra is much more of a GTR chaser versus the Z being sort of a grown up/fast 86 type thing? Sounds like the Z would be a lot of fun to own, but I don't think I want one bad enough to pay $50K, I'd probably get a C7 at that point.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:13 pm

:wtf: is wrong with these people and families.
Interesting watch. Pretty wild stuff.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:00 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:23 pm
Watched most of this the other day, really interesting comparison. Sounds like the cars are quite different and the Supra is much more of a GTR chaser versus the Z being sort of a grown up/fast 86 type thing? Sounds like the Z would be a lot of fun to own, but I don't think I want one bad enough to pay $50K, I'd probably get a C7 at that point.
Yeah it's pretty clear that combining funds produces a much more sophisticated car.

Edit:

Another great video
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

The new Charger EV concept looks pretty nice.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm The new Charger EV concept looks pretty nice.

:dat: Quite the muscle hood on a car with no ICE :doe:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm The new Charger EV concept looks pretty nice.

The front end wing thing is cool. The 2 door body style and the 100+ decibel noise machine to make it sound like a muscle car is not cool.
Huckleberry

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:32 pm

The front end wing thing is cool. The 2 door body style and the 100+ decibel noise machine to make it sound like a muscle car is not cool.
I don't mind the coupe body, and it is a liftback, which is cool.

I'm indifferent about the noisemaker. I'm sure there will be settings to allow it to be toned down or turned off entirely.
Johnny_P

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:32 pm

I'm indifferent about the noisemaker. I'm sure there will be settings to allow it to be toned down or turned off entirely.
They also added a multi speed transmission so you can feel and hear shifts. I dunno man. It’s a transition car for deniers I suppose.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:13 pm

They also added a multi speed transmission so you can feel and hear shifts. I dunno man. It’s a transition car for deniers I suppose.
I mean, that sounds kind of fun to me :iono: I guess I'm a denier :bow: . Shifting is fun. Sounds are fun. Two huge things missing from EVs and one of the reasons we haven't seen any EV enthusiast cars to this point.

I appreciate them trying something different :iono: It also looks pretty cool and the world should have some two doors I think.
Huckleberry

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:13 pm

I'd say it is a different take on EVs. Now they just need to get real crazy and develop a :manuel: for their EV.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

But sounds pretty bad when they mimick the exhaust through speakers... :disgust:
Go to 10:30 for the sound
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Huckleberry

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:43 pm But sounds pretty bad when they mimick the exhaust through speakers... :disgust:
Go to 10:30 for the sound
Like I said, I'm indifferent about the sound. Speakers are easy to disconnect if there isn't an option to turn it off and/or tone it down.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I love this so much.

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.