OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

datgrundle wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:13 am Listen, I don’t want the forum to be abandoned. If we do want to go to a different venue I’m happy to look into setting up a discord sever. It’ll be much the same format for written word and has a voice chat server for free. We can have different chat logs for OT, car talk, house talk etc. We can also opt to exclude a political punch bowl since that caused such a heavy rift.

Can someone make a poll to see who is interested in staying here can moving to a new spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm more concerned about keeping this place going technically. The server errors are getting bad (see my post above) and we don't have the ability to fix. Eventually without updates, this platform will start to crumble, so to keep things going, we'll need to switch. It's not really a matter of choice unless we have someone who understands the backend here and willing to work on it (nobody so far).

For the few of us left, a unique forum is probably overkill anyway. The biggest benefit it gave us was 100% freedom to post any/everything, but that ended up being death, so :ohwell:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Tar wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:22 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:10 am I gotta start looking for a new job. My boss sucks.

A month or so ago I was voluntold that I’m participating in this multi agency thing in Harrisburg and giving a “Gas 101” type intro course. Ok whatever. Well my boss misunderstood the ask and it’s actually that I need to host the state’s emergency preparedness conference complete with the overview course and an emergency drill scenario.

I told my boss we need to talk about wether or not we can actually do this. We are down 3 people in the group and behind on everything as is. He said nope we are doing it you just need to figure out how.

Finding out this is his management style. Commit your people without discussing with them first. Over commit everyone and just assume they will work extra hours to figure it out.
That sounds like a lot of pressure, how can you be sure you've got your ducks in a row without running any public announcements through a legal team first? Hosing the state emergency preparedness conference with overview course and an emergency drill scenario really should be left in the hands of someone with a strong understanding of the system. The guy sounds like he's hanging on by a thread, and definitely not someone who knows what's going on.
Well we are a gas company and I’m the lead engineer so I’m the expert according to them. Yeah it should all be run by legal. But I have to do all the ground work to put it together from scratch. F that.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:18 am
Tar wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:06 am What's June 1st, an American national holiday? Did you already all quit LOL?
:lolol: Just a busy day. Payback for the holiday we had on Monday.
Ahh okay, great to see you all! :D

I'm slow, but my oldest is still home and sick, so I think I'm going to take him for a walk to get fresh air. We're all over some C-22 thing and almost back to normal. I cancelled an appointment last week, and my boss knows that I'm pissed off for his douche-baggery so he's avoiding asking me questions or trying to reschedule. There are at least three :thisisfine: burning right now and he's mentally and possibly even physically checked out. It's interesting to see how unglued people at work can get and still remain in charge.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:25 am @Detroit

Yeah I’m going to start looking around. I was hoping to stay here for a year or two. But I don’t like working for him. So far I’m not a scapegoat but I see that happening in the future as we miss deadline after deadline. Because he’s used other engineers as scapegoats in the past.
It's a frustratingly common mgmt tactic. Spineless managers can't say no to superiors or peers, say yes to everything, then blame their people for not getting things done.

I kind of felt that happening in my role with my young manager, so I asked to take over goal planning and quarterly commitments, which he seemed relieved to pass off. So it's on me now and if I'm told to do something else, I present the required trade-offs to get it done, and that usually calms down madness. I never whine or complain, but presenting a "do you want this new shiny thing instead of this previously committed thing?" really gets the convo going in the right direction rather than just saying yes all the time and disappointing later down the line.

Unfortunately, that means I'm doing a good part of my bosses job and obviously not getting compensated for it, but it makes my life easier soooo :ohwell:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:27 am

That sounds like a lot of pressure, how can you be sure you've got your ducks in a row without running any public announcements through a legal team first? Hosing the state emergency preparedness conference with overview course and an emergency drill scenario really should be left in the hands of someone with a strong understanding of the system. The guy sounds like he's hanging on by a thread, and definitely not someone who knows what's going on.
Well we are a gas company and I’m the lead engineer so I’m the expert according to them. Yeah it should all be run by legal. But I have to do all the ground work to put it together from scratch. F that.
I feel like something like this should have been done many times before. Can you find an old version and copy? Not rocket science, but the legal implication does seem a bit :notsure:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

What's a Discord?

I don't want to see this place die, especially for such a stupid reason as some fucktard poisoning various threads that :triggered: valued OG member(s). The fucktards are gone so why can't the rest of us just stay put until the maintenance/upkeep of this place gets to be too much for Griff to keep it going? At that point we can jump to either another forum or whatever this discord thing is.

Random thought: The GolfMk8 forum is probably pretty sparsely populated at the moment. We could invade and settle in, Ragnar Lothbrok style. :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:34 am What's a Discord?

I don't want to see this place die, especially for such a stupid reason as some fucktard poisoning various threads that :triggered: valued OG member(s). The fucktards are gone so why can't the rest of us just stay put until the maintenance/upkeep of this place gets to be too much for Griff to keep it going? At that point we can jump to either another forum or whatever this discord thing is.

Random thought: The GolfMk8 forum is probably pretty sparsely populated at the moment. We could invade and settle in, Ragnar Lothbrok style. :lol:
This whole thing got kicked off like over the weekend between two/three members who I haven’t even seen post much lately… now the rest of us are up in arms … I’m just confused and want to keep things going… so maybe there is a better way outside of this forum !?
Last edited by max225 on Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Sounds like we should start an epic podcast and just hop on a group call once a week and shoot the shit :lolol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

With one year experience! WOW, that's a challenging ask and one that probably requires a great deal of crossing T-s and dotting i-s.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:34 am

I feel like something like this should have been done many times before. Can you find an old version and copy? Not rocket science, but the legal implication does seem a bit :notsure:
We have some things I can use but we have never hosted this before.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:41 am
Side note, bonus should be good this year though. So I’d stick it out.
ChrisoftheNorth

:lolol: Invading and taking over a different forum is :lolol:

The problem is, Z I L L was the tech force that helped Dan keep this place going. Now that he ghosted us, we don't have any tech support. If we don't start planning next steps soon, this place could just grind to a halt at any time for no reason and we won't be able to fix. I keep getting more server errors, so something major is wrong in the backend and it's not getting better.

The need to find a tech person kind of forces off our own unique forum, which honestly doesn't really add the value for us that it once did. Discord is a hang out/chat type service that resembles a forum, but isn't as robust. Still should be fine for our purposes. Hardest thing will be establishing and enforcing rules, which we previously :aintcare: but landed us in the situation we're in now. It's clear we can't just keep things chill and civil across all members, so some sort of moderation will be required going forward. Hard part is that basically forces moderation to chose a side, so no matter what we're probably not long for this world.

I'll repeat that nothing makes sense anymore.
Johnny_P

Tar wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:37 am

With one year experience! WOW, that's a challenging ask and one that probably requires a great deal of crossing T-s and dotting i-s.
Yeah I was promoted after about a year. I’ve been lead for like 4 months. We are hiring 3 people in the next 3 months and it’s on me to onboard and train them all. And on me to run every major capital program we have (because we don’t have staff to distribute the load). It’s really not feasible for me to do this ask but he doesn’t want to hear it.

I think next one on one with him I’ll go over all the things he’s committed me to do and which ones I haven’t started yet. It’s a long list.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:41 am
Wow :yikes: Seems like a lot for one person to orchestrate? :iono:
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:44 am

The problem is, Z I L L was the tech force that helped Dan keep this place going. Now that he ghosted us, we don't have any tech support. If we don't start planning next steps soon, this place could just grind to a halt at any time for no reason and we won't be able to fix. I keep getting more server errors, so something major is wrong in the backend and it's not getting better.

The need to find a tech person kind of forces off our own unique forum, which honestly doesn't really add the value for us that it once did. Discord is a hang out/chat type service that resembles a forum, but isn't as robust. Still should be fine for our purposes. Hardest thing will be establishing and enforcing rules, which we previously :aintcare: but landed us in the situation we're in now. It's clear we can't just keep things chill and civil across all members, so some sort of moderation will be required going forward. Hard part is that basically forces moderation to chose a side, so no matter what we're probably not long for this world.

:word:
I hear you, but I'd suggest that those who weren't able to "keep things chill" are gone and that the rest of us have by and large been able to do so and likely will continue to into the future.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:45 am
Tar wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:37 am

Yeah I was promoted after about a year. I’ve been lead for like 4 months. We are hiring 3 people in the next 3 months and it’s on me to onboard and train them all. And on me to run every major capital program we have (because we don’t have staff to distribute the load). It’s really not feasible for me to do this ask but he doesn’t want to hear it.

I think next one on one with him I’ll go over all the things he’s committed me to do and which ones I haven’t started yet. It’s a long list.
Yep, get a list together, and keep reviewing it in 1:1's. When asked to do something else, pull up the list and suggest items to drop to accommodate the new request. That should force convos in a better direction, or at least you'll see his true colors.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:48 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:44 am

:word:
I hear you, but I'd suggest that those who weren't able to "keep things chill" are gone and that the rest of us have by and large been able to do so and likely will continue to into the future.
Yea, well...that's what we thought a year ago. Now look at where we are.

People by nature aren't chill or civil on the internet. Period. At this rate eventually, we'll be ground down to <5 or so members that are unoffendable, and that'll be it. The last cucks standing.

Preserving the core friendships between the last remaining should be the priority. I'd be legit sad to not communicate with you guys anymore. So while the forum as we know it might have to die, we should be able to find other means to keep the conversations going for a little while longer.
wap

:eeyore:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:popcorn:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
SAWCE

Yeah I’m down for discord or whatever other platform seems best. I use GroupMe with some of my friends, WhatsApp with others. Discord I just use to hop on a call with a buddy when we’re gaming at the same time. All options seem to work well enough.

Damn I’m gonna miss this place. I still miss how lighthearted everything was when we were just tearing up the OT pages of mkvi
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Hopefully one or more people keep tabs on our contact info, if the ship goes down let me know where the new meeting point will be and I'll be down for reconnecting.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:10 am I gotta start looking for a new job. My boss sucks.

A month or so ago I was voluntold that I’m participating in this multi agency thing in Harrisburg and giving a “Gas 101” type intro course. Ok whatever. Well my boss misunderstood the ask and it’s actually that I need to host the state’s emergency preparedness conference complete with the overview course and an emergency drill scenario.

I told my boss we need to talk about wether or not we can actually do this. We are down 3 people in the group and behind on everything as is. He said nope we are doing it you just need to figure out how.

Finding out this is his management style. Commit your people without discussing with them first. Over commit everyone and just assume they will work extra hours to figure it out.
Man you have been featured on episodes of Terrible Bosses way too much dude.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:19 am Yeah I’m down for discord or whatever other platform seems best. I use GroupMe with some of my friends, WhatsApp with others. Discord I just use to hop on a call with a buddy when we’re gaming at the same time. All options seem to work well enough.

Damn I’m gonna miss this place. I still miss how lighthearted everything was when we were just tearing up the OT pages of mkvi
People were lighthearted because they young, dumb and full of superior interiors.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:39 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:19 am Yeah I’m down for discord or whatever other platform seems best. I use GroupMe with some of my friends, WhatsApp with others. Discord I just use to hop on a call with a buddy when we’re gaming at the same time. All options seem to work well enough.

People were lighthearted because they young, dumb and full of superior interiors.
:notwrong: the world also hadn’t gone to shit as much as it has now. I was ignorant to politics back then (I still try to be as much as possible today), but the hated between the left and right didn’t seem nearly as intense back then.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

SAWCE wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:39 am People were lighthearted because they young, dumb and full of superior interiors.
:notwrong: the world also hadn’t gone to shit as much as it has now. I was ignorant to politics back then (I still try to be as much as possible today), but the hated between the left and right didn’t seem nearly as intense back then.
Would a ban on politics on the forum be of use or folly? I always just avoided it altogether but after a brief browsing of the punch bowl hole lee shite I can understand why [user not found] bounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk