Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

fledonfoot wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:47 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:43 pm
Didn't Ford stop taking orders for this year?
Yes. I enquired about a 23 order and was told they had a few available units already locked in.
I wound up getting a Frontier during their 99% Residual lease deals and was going to put an order in for a 23 Maverick Hybrid when the order books open as I'll have it until August of 23, but you have my attention....
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

3rdgenfan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:19 am
fledonfoot wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:47 pm

Yes. I enquired about a 23 order and was told they had a few available units already locked in.
I wound up getting a Frontier during their 99% Residual lease deals and was going to put an order in for a 23 Maverick Hybrid when the order books open as I'll have it until August of 23, but you have my attention....
What did the Frontier payment come to?
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

max225 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:41 pm Y’all boys and girls want to hear some poverty shit ?

The clock in the TSX has been out of sync with the normal time since daylight savings and it was killing my ocd.

So I spent about 2 hrs trying to figure out how the fuck to change the clock. Apparently since the car has nav it’s supposed to update automatically but something corrupts over time and you can’t …. So you have a non working clock. It’s worse than compassgate to me. The clock over rides do not work on the car … :wtf: it keeps showing whatever time it shows and that’s it.

Reddit came to the rescue after YouTube failed … you have to disconnect the battery 2 min before 1 am or 1pm … then you reconnect it exactly at 1 since the clock resets to 1 o clock after battery reset.

That’s some :disgust: poverty shit and I’m annoyed af
Interestingly the memory seats lost their “memory” but the radio stations didn’t. Another day in the hooptie life.

I also filled that bitch up yesterday and cracked $100 for the first time ever.
$101.44 to fill up a pos tsx at COSTCO.

Fun fact a Toyota Tundra would cost $207 to fill up.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

fledonfoot wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:27 am
3rdgenfan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:19 am

$1800 down to cover taxes, and payment came to $197/mo for 18mo.

They tried some Nissan dealership scammy shit where they blamed Delaware taxes "last minute" showed a $650 difference, and then when I went into the finance room, it turns out they tried to get an extra $1k off of me.

I was ready to walk considering we had already worked the deal out via text message and phone 2 weeks prior, and just needed to wait for the truck to show up.

The idea for this was to let me get through until I got called for the Lightning order to convert from a reservation but that email never came.
max225

3rdgenfan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:15 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:27 am

They tried some Nissan dealership scammy shit where they blamed Delaware taxes "last minute" showed a $650 difference, and then when I went into the finance room, it turns out they tried to get an extra $1k off of me.

I was ready to walk considering we had already worked the deal out via text message and phone 2 weeks prior, and just needed to wait for the truck to show up.

The idea for this was to let me get through until I got called for the Lightning order to convert from a reservation but that email never came.
$300 a month ain’t bad for sure
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:29 pm
3rdgenfan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:15 pm

$300 a month ain’t bad for sure
Pretty much my thought, most of the payment is interest, and it was $50/mo more per month than the Bolt.

Of course, as soon as I sell the Bolt back to GM (well, they allowed me to give them $360 to sell it back to them) the whole Russia/Ukraine thing happened and now I go from $6 fill ups to $70. :dislike:
max225

Just fyi in the FCP Saga. I got my refund of $62 for the air filter … $7.65 in shipping… + 15min of my time driving there.

I checked the filters I originally bought were $30 and
Now the same ones are $57+ tax (as seen above) and
They refunded the most recent purchase.

:notbad:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:33 am
max225 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:41 pm Y’all boys and girls want to hear some poverty shit ?

The clock in the TSX has been out of sync with the normal time since daylight savings and it was killing my ocd.

So I spent about 2 hrs trying to figure out how the fuck to change the clock. Apparently since the car has nav it’s supposed to update automatically but something corrupts over time and you can’t …. So you have a non working clock. It’s worse than compassgate to me. The clock over rides do not work on the car … :wtf: it keeps showing whatever time it shows and that’s it.

Reddit came to the rescue after YouTube failed … you have to disconnect the battery 2 min before 1 am or 1pm … then you reconnect it exactly at 1 since the clock resets to 1 o clock after battery reset.

Interestingly the memory seats lost their “memory” but the radio stations didn’t. Another day in the hooptie life.

It don't cost no more to run on the top 1/2 of the tank.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:59 pm

Currently I go to the gas station about once a week. Going 2x a week is for someone who thinks they time is worth nothing and they enjoy going a cancer station on the regular.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:59 pm

Currently I go to the gas station about once a week. Going 2x a week is for someone who thinks they time is worth nothing and they enjoy going a cancer station on the regular.
Obligatory folksy saying is obligatory folksy saying. We've beaten this dead horse many times.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I found a blown fuse in my moms TL that controls the memory seats, it can be blown and the seats will still work so you wouldn't think to check there.
max225

Tar wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:47 pm

I found a blown fuse in my moms TL that controls the memory seats, it can be blown and the seats will still work so you wouldn't think to check there.
It was tied to my "clock adjustment" :triggered: seats work fine. Just had to reset them as part of setting the clock
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:33 pm
max225 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:08 pm
Obligatory folksy saying is obligatory folksy saying. We've beaten this dead horse many times.
It is. What is a reasonable amount times to go to a gas station before you get 'Tired' of it? I went 6 times in April in 2 cars running on fumes during fill ups. Doubling that is nearing a part time job status.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:59 pm
Tar wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:47 pm

It was tied to my "clock adjustment" :triggered: seats work fine. Just had to reset them as part of setting the clock
Misunderstood, carry on :derp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I agree that clockgate is worse than compassgate. Clocks being wrong is a massive :triggered: for me. Every one in the house needs to be synced, cars correct, etc. The Beemah still features a manual setting for the clock with no phoning home of any sort :lolol: :scrooge:

I guess the :jeep: one must pull from the sky somehow, probably through connected phones. So far so good on that :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Driving another Mustang 'vert for the week of work in Atlanta. I drove it from my home here (about four hours) this morning and another hour around town today.

I still like it, this one is in better condition but has the same quality issues, so it seems they just aren't so well made. It is also just too big for what it is.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:28 pm Driving another Mustang 'vert for the week of work in Atlanta. I drove it from my home here (about four hours) this morning and another hour around town today.

I still like it, this one is in better condition but has the same quality issues, so it seems they just aren't so well made. It is also just too big for what it is.
What sort of issues ? Mine had a roughish 10 speed at points that would get confused and rear windows that wouldn’t go up… it’s fixed through window lube apparently
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:27 pm I agree that clockgate is worse than compassgate. Clocks being wrong is a massive :triggered: for me. Every one in the house needs to be synced, cars correct, etc. The Beemah still features a manual setting for the clock with no phoning home of any sort :lolol: :scrooge:

I guess the :jeep: one must pull from the sky somehow, probably through connected phones. So far so good on that :doe:
The craziest part is it HAS a clock setting but apparently it corrupts over time and requires nav system replacement. :nope:

Like :wtf: kind of old car issue is that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:28 pm Driving another Mustang 'vert for the week of work in Atlanta. I drove it from my home here (about four hours) this morning and another hour around town today.

What sort of issues ? Mine had a roughish 10 speed at points that would get confused and rear windows that wouldn’t go up… it’s fixed through window lube apparently
Broken vents, windows that don't align as mentioned, transmission is pretty rough, seats look really worn but that may just be a rental car thing.

All in all it's a fun chassis, the 4 cylinder is pretty efficient and still decently quick, I like the interior design even if the quality is lackluster.

:iono: :doe: 1" of open air gap between the windows on every one year old car I've heard of is pretty unacceptable.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:10 pm
max225 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:14 pm

Broken vents, windows that don't align as mentioned, transmission is pretty rough, seats look really worn but that may just be a rental car thing.

All in all it's a fun chassis, the 4 cylinder is pretty efficient and still decently quick, I like the interior design even if the quality is lackluster.

:iono: :doe: 1" of open air gap between the windows on every one year old car I've heard of is pretty unacceptable.
Sounds exactly like mine. Yea mine refused to lower the roof or something because of that… I googled and the solution is really simple.

Rest minus trans is rental car shit. The seats always look like they have 150k miles in these. Asses full of sand and mud sitting on the leather or baking In the sun will do that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:10 pm

Sounds exactly like mine. Yea mine refused to lower the roof or something because of that… I googled and the solution is really simple.

Rest minus trans is rental car shit. The seats always look like they have 150k miles in these. Asses full of sand and mud sitting on the leather or baking In the sun will do that.
For whatever reason, the 'stangs seem to stay in the fleet longer, both I've rented have had 30-50K miles whereas the average is more like 10K. Big difference there in the life of a rental.

Also the 'stangs seem to be the only basic National rentals spec'd with leather.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:37 pm

For whatever reason, the 'stangs seem to stay in the fleet longer, both I've rented have had 30-50K miles whereas the average is more like 10K. Big difference there in the life of a rental.

Also the 'stangs seem to be the only basic National rentals spec'd with leather.
Yea I had a god awful Camero in Hawaii. It had 27k miles but it may as well been 227k. Every single surface felt worn out and one of the vents was broken. People are fucking pigs. I don't understand how everything gets so fucked up in such a short amount of time.

30-50k miles is "nothing" for a normal car. Sometimes I get "rental" mini's due to servicing of mine... and ones with 2-5k miles are worse than mine at 38k
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:40 pm

Yea I had a god awful Camero in Hawaii. It had 27k miles but it may as well been 227k. Every single surface felt worn out and one of the vents was broken. People are fucking pigs. I don't understand how everything gets so fucked up in such a short amount of time.

30-50k miles is "nothing" for a normal car. Sometimes I get "rental" mini's due to servicing of mine... and ones with 2-5k miles are worse than mine at 38k
Same thing with cars I see listed for sale, :notsure: how the seats, steering wheel, and other interior parts get so effed in just a couple of short years.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The last couple years the rental agencies offed lower mileage cars while they were still worth something. Most cars I've seen since covid have been at least 18k miles. Hopefully that starts to change.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I haven't played the rental car lottery in almost a year. Starting to get the wants.