Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:39 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:58 am

Yes. I forgot to add the dude admitted he pulled to close and simply could no longer see the trailer when we went to move forward in the line.
This is :lolol: Glad no damage was done to your shit.

What are the deetz on the engine swap?
Nothing fancy. After hamming on it for a year up here a rod started tapping and its getting worse, heavy oil helped but didn't make it stop. Getting a BP4W euro spec engine to pop in so its largely a bolt in affair.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The other stereotype I'm willing to take to my grave is Honda drivers + high beams. I've deduced it to two things, either their headlights are super shit, and they need the high beams to act as regular headlights, or the lever is too easy to trip on, and people inadvertently turn them on when they're changing lanes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:51 am The other stereotype I'm willing to take to my grave is Honda drivers + high beams. I've deduced it to two things, either their headlights are super shit, and they need the high beams to act as regular headlights, or the lever is too easy to trip on, and people inadvertently turn them on when they're changing lanes.
It's rough in a world where most of us are in cars but everyone else is in :truk: /SUV/ :trukyeah: I have just grown accustomed to bright ass lights in my eyes constantly at night.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:57 am
Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:51 am The other stereotype I'm willing to take to my grave is Honda drivers + high beams. I've deduced it to two things, either their headlights are super shit, and they need the high beams to act as regular headlights, or the lever is too easy to trip on, and people inadvertently turn them on when they're changing lanes.
It's rough in a world where most of us are in cars but everyone else is in :truk: /SUV/ :trukyeah: I have just grown accustomed to bright ass lights in my eyes constantly at night.
Understandably, but I'm referring to the Civic, Pilot, and CRV driving with around with disproportionately higher rates of having their high beams activated. Something is up with that brand, or buyers of that brand in Ontario. Yesterday I specifically kept track, there were four cars on road running high beams, all Honderp products.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Follow up point, any pickup truck with high output headlights still blasts my eye balls harder in low beam setting then the Honda high beam rant. I just get mad that these honda drivers allow themselves to drive like that for convenience, mechanical design failure of the toggle thingy, or just plain stupidity.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:26 am

Understandably, but I'm referring to the Civic, Pilot, and CRV driving with around with disproportionately higher rates of having their high beams activated. Something is up with that brand, or buyers of that brand in Ontario. Yesterday I specifically kept track, there were four cars on road running high beams, all Honderp products.
Oh yeah, I hear you. It just inspired me to add in my own little side rant.

:ohwell: I can sleep at night knowing my lowered BMW is not blinding anyone with its POS halogens.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:28 am Follow up point, any pickup truck with high output headlights still blasts my eye balls harder in low beam setting then the Honda high beam rant. I just get mad that these honda drivers allow themselves to drive like that for convenience, mechanical design failure of the toggle thingy, or just plain stupidity.
Yea it’s down right dangerous to drive in my area …. Uneven bumpy pavement also points the vehicles up sometimes …. Completely blinding oncoming traffic
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:45 am

:ohwell: I can sleep at night knowing my lowered BMW is not blinding anyone with its POS halogens.
Yeah as a side note, that's another reason my :tits: likes to sit up high.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:52 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:45 am

Yeah as a side note, that's another reason my :tits: likes to sit up high.
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

I really don't drive at night all that much :aintcare: Typically anywhere I do it's more or less daylight as it's pretty urban, so :aintcare:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:50 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:22 am My GTI got bullied a lot. The Honda just gets cut off but not run off the road since it’s a larger vehicle.
The Cammie is large enough not to get bullied as much as the Golf, but full size pickup trucks on major arteries are always going to ass-ram regardless of what I'm driving or how fast I'm going. 90% of the time it's an F-150, I don't know why, but it is. Maybe most times busy contractor guys that don't know how to manage their time properly buy the F-150.
Ram drivers tend to be the worst here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I get flashed in the 4R constantly. It has auto high-beams that I leave enabled all the time. The setting works great, and I've noticed that every time I get flashed, it's on the low beam setting.

These are 100% factory LEDs. I don't know if they're just too bright or maybe they're too high up for some cars? :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:59 am I get flashed in the 4R constantly. It has auto high-beams that I leave enabled all the time. The setting works great, and I've noticed that every time I get flashed, it's on the low beam setting.

These are 100% factory LEDs. I don't know if they're just too bright or maybe they're too high up for some cars? :iono:
I think that I have these same LEDs, they're bright AF. They don't get brighter when the high beams are on, they just project higher, IMO. So you're high up enough that drivers get those in the eye-balls, and they don't like it. LOL
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:18 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:59 am I get flashed in the 4R constantly. It has auto high-beams that I leave enabled all the time. The setting works great, and I've noticed that every time I get flashed, it's on the low beam setting.

I think that I have these same LEDs, they're bright AF. They don't get brighter when the high beams are on, they just project higher, IMO. So you're high up enough that drivers get those in the eye-balls, and they don't like it. LOL
Yea, this is the most likely explanation. :ohwell:
max225

Yep you're part of the elite ruling class shining down on the peasants. Since you have the means to ride up high not give a F about mpg and afford :waxer: LEDs...

(Happened in my tacoma as well) which had one of the best headlights I experienced.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:34 am

Yep you're part of the elite ruling class shining down on the peasants. Since you have the means to ride up high not give a F about mpg and afford :waxer: LEDs...

(Happened in my tacoma as well) which had one of the best headlights I experienced.
I actually think I get lumped in with the bro trucks running around with bright blue LEDs pointing at the sky because they forgot to lift the back end when doing the front. They're far more common.

But yea, these are the second best headlights I've ever had on a vehicle. My K2 Silverado with stock HIDs were :mindblown: good, and I don't recall getting flashed as frequently. :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:34 am

:dat:

This is just the reality of being a rich in a 'yota versus us poors in BMWs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:57 am
Tar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:50 am

The Cammie is large enough not to get bullied as much as the Golf, but full size pickup trucks on major arteries are always going to ass-ram regardless of what I'm driving or how fast I'm going. 90% of the time it's an F-150, I don't know why, but it is. Maybe most times busy contractor guys that don't know how to manage their time properly buy the F-150.
Fun fact: Ram drivers have the highest % DUI conviction of any vehicle by quite a margin. I think it's something like 5% of RAM owners carry a conviction for DUI :lolol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:22 pm
Fun fact: Ram drivers have the highest % DUI conviction of any vehicle by quite a margin. I think it's something like 5% of RAM owners carry a conviction for DUI :lolol:
this surprises no one.

now do cars. I bet altimas are high on the list :lol:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Not surprised. Stellanus will sell anyone a vehicle. Bad credit, no credit, no problem!
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:46 pm

this surprises no one.

I really want to find out stats about Altimas... they are literally a menace everywhere I have went. :yikes:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

LED? Hondas LED lights suck and have a ton of upward glare. Always looks like they have high beams on.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:03 pm

this surprises no one.

I really want to find out stats about Altimas... they are literally a menace everywhere I have went. :yikes:
They’re by far the worst out here.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:55 pm

Not surprised. Stellanus will sell anyone a vehicle. Bad credit, no credit, no problem!
Illegal immigrant MX gang banger sharing single wide with five other doods dealing meth, driving 392 SRT Charger with yellow shipping protectors.

It's only a stereotype if it's not 100% true boiz.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

this surprises no one.

All owned by baby mamas of aforementioned Charger drivers.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:54 pm

All owned by baby mamas of aforementioned Charger drivers.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:notwrong:
brain go brrrrrr