Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:46 am

Geo Metro is 18k….
:wtf:
:ayfkm: This again?

This happened in 08 as well. I really hope Geo Metro prices don't correlate to economic :nuke:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

So, who can give me the skinny on the new Sequoia? I’ve been seeing advertisements on my social media for it, in what I think is called the Capstone trim, and I think it looks good. A lot like the Explorer/Expedition, but still a handsome vehicle nonetheless
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:39 am So, who can give me the skinny on the new Sequoia? I’ve been seeing advertisements on my social media for it, in what I think is called the Capstone trim, and I think it looks good. A lot like the Explorer/Expedition, but still a handsome vehicle nonetheless
If you’ve got 73k Capstone is the trim for you.
30-40% more than the last gen across comparable trims
Mpg going from 13 to 17-20
Way nicer interiors
Way better looking
No more V8 but now TT v6 or hybrid ttv6
Heavier
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:04 am
Devilchrono wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:39 am So, who can give me the skinny on the new Sequoia? I’ve been seeing advertisements on my social media for it, in what I think is called the Capstone trim, and I think it looks good. A lot like the Explorer/Expedition, but still a handsome vehicle nonetheless
Way nicer interiors
Way better looking
Heavier
Damn, sounds like it’s a wash as far as upgrades/improvements. Not sure it’s worth the cost, but haven’t dug into it yet to compare to others in that size category
max225

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:10 am

Way nicer interiors
Way better looking
Heavier
Damn, sounds like it’s a wash as far as upgrades/improvements. Not sure it’s worth the cost, but haven’t dug into it yet to compare to others in that size category
What do you mean by wash ?
This thing is arguably better than the last gen in every single way but cost and simplicity
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Way nicer interiors
Way better looking
Heavier
Hey thats great and all, but I really want to know about the horn. How many DB's that sucker cranking out?
brain go brrrrrr
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:12 am
Devilchrono wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:10 am

This thing is arguably better than the last gen in every single way but cost and simplicity
The improvements sound great and the new TT v6 is very intriguing, but that much a price hike makes it all a wash to me. It was already prohibitively expensive for what it was to begin with, and it’s now even more so it seems. I’ll try to dive into it though and really compare in the coming weeks, maybe it’ll change my mind seeing exactly what’s changed
max225

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:31 am
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:12 am

The improvements sound great and the new TT v6 is very intriguing, but that much a price hike makes it all a wash to me. It was already prohibitively expensive for what it was to begin with, and it’s now even more so it seems. I’ll try to dive into it though and really compare in the coming weeks, maybe it’ll change my mind seeing exactly what’s changed
Yea it’s tremendously more expensive. High end sequoia is now essentially the new land cruiser. I’d argue it’s actually better and cheaper than a land cruiser.
Toyota has started to really narrow the gap between the big 3 and itself. It used be about a 15-20% cost saving between the trim levels of a F150 and tundra for ex it’s no longer the case. Same goes for sequoia and Tahoe
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Sequoia's all have the hybrid powertrain with 437HP and 583TQ
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:29 am

Way nicer interiors
Way better looking
Heavier
Hey thats great and all, but I really want to know about the horn. How many DB's that sucker cranking out?
:bruh:

Per your banning comment... no one is banning you, you received zero repercussions. Do you want to pay for the forum? I figured no, so stop trying to talk COVID in every thread. It's getting fucking old. Some of us are trying to move on with life and are here to talk about things we actually enjoy.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:43 am Sequoia's all have the hybrid powertrain with 437HP and 583TQ
I think that dog will hunt.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:43 am Sequoia's all have the hybrid powertrain with 437HP and 583TQ
That new powertrain has my brother in law looking at trading his F150 in on a new Tundra in 2 years cause he likes what he’s read about it but wants to see some real world use numbers on it and stuff before jumping into it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:58 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:29 am

:bruh:

Per your banning comment... no one is banning you, you received zero repercussions. Do you want to pay for the forum? I figured no, so stop trying to talk COVID in every thread. It's getting fucking old. Some of us are trying to move on with life and are here to talk about things we actually enjoy.
I was talking about horns, why so serious?

And yes, I would take ownershit and pay for the forum if you would like. :like:
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:02 am
That new powertrain has my brother in law looking at trading his F150 in on a new Tundra in 2 years cause he likes what he’s read about it but wants to see some real world use numbers on it and stuff before jumping into it.
The TRD BRO trim is pretty epic. I have always shied away from Ford's Ecoboost stuff because Ford. Also they managed to increase complexity and still get shittier mileage than GM. Toyota Turbo though?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:52 am

The TRD BRO trim is pretty epic. I have always shied away from Ford's Ecoboost stuff because Ford. Also they managed to increase complexity and still get shittier mileage than GM. Toyota Turbo though?
Yea I am :notsure: Toyotas of the future will be as reliable as Toyotas of the past. I think we will see a major shift in reliability due to added complexity.

I would think of it this way... Todays toyotas perceived/actual reliability is based one everything Toyota did in the last 30 years... and what did they do? Use engines from 30 years ago and slightly modify them here and etc.. and carry them forward in the name of RELIABILITY only for decades.

However over the last 5-10 years they really started to add complexity... Hell even the replacement V6 TACOMA engine costs as much as a low end porsche motor ... 25k almost the same as a fucking hellcat CRATE MOTOR (29k)

The new hybrids TT V6s can NOT be anywhere near as reliable as a N/A v8 that dates back to times when people didn't have cell phones. Yea it'll likely be "reliable" for the first 50-100k miles... but afterwards they will go the german car route... Toyota was the last hold out for simplicity... that's LOOOONG done now.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Way nicer interiors
Way better looking
Heavier
Small correction but it's standard hybrid across the board

NVM fled got it
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Toyota didn't design the Tundra hybrid to be as fuel efficient as possible. They did it mostly to help with towing. It's looking like the F150 powerboost will be the more efficient truck, and the Tundra Hybrid is like 500-600lbs heavier.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:52 am

Early trucks seems to be having some waste gate issues. Not sure how wide spread it is but we'll see as more get delivered and driven. It's a cab-off job
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:53 pm

Way nicer interiors
Way better looking
Heavier
Small correction but it's standard hybrid across the board

NVM fled got it
Correct. I assumed same lineup as TURDra
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:57 pm

Toyota didn't design the Tundra hybrid to be as fuel efficient as possible. They did it mostly to help with towing. It's looking like the F150 powerboost will be the more efficient truck, and the Tundra Hybrid is like 500-600lbs heavier.
I hope he does his research and/or asks me, but he’s pretty stubborn when it comes to his vehicles purchases and doesn’t ask for opinions from me. I’d take an F150 over the Tundra, but that’s more from a looks standpoint than diving deep into the specs and stuff. That new Tundra front end just kills my interest in it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:40 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:57 pm

I hope he does his research and/or asks me, but he’s pretty stubborn when it comes to his vehicles purchases and doesn’t ask for opinions from me. I’d take an F150 over the Tundra, but that’s more from a looks standpoint than diving deep into the specs and stuff. That new Tundra front end just kills my interest in it.
The front end looks slightly more palatable IRL, but it's still not great. Sequoia is a bit better.

If buying a truck soon, Ferd is probably the better way to go for now. Toyota will likely have some learning to do with their first real heavy use turbro application. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some reliability issues to work out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

It hath arrived.

It is small.

max225

Sweet ! Congrats !
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

God she looks good, congrats Fled!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:27 pm It hath arrived.

It is small.

:jimp: :jimp: :jimp: :jelly: :popcorn: :fuckyeah:

I'm so glad this is happening.