Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:47 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:07 pm

Yeah that's just not that old.
12 years is not that not old either. Same as driving a 1988 pos in 2000
max225

Just had an epic fail working on the mini. Attempted to remove the headlight and failed. It has these insane contraptions that hold it in place and the T30 requires massive amounts of force on the front of the contraption that then has a nut spin freely in the back as the back contraption that is supposed to hold it in place doesn’t … in other words :rage: :disgust: an over complicated way to secure the light … I got 2/4 fasteners off and the 2 I couldn’t are inaccessible from the rear so I can’t secure the nut in order to take it off.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:08 pm Just had an epic fail working on the mini. Attempted to remove the headlight and failed. It has these insane contraptions that hold it in place and the T30 requires massive amounts of force on the front of the contraption that then has a nut spin freely in the back as the back contraption that is supposed to hold it in place doesn’t … in other words :rage: :disgust: an over complicated way to secure the light … I got 2/4 fasteners off and the 2 I couldn’t are inaccessible from the rear so I can’t secure the nut in order to take it off.
Time for BMW service
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

max225 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:08 pm Just had an epic fail working on the mini. Attempted to remove the headlight and failed. It has these insane contraptions that hold it in place and the T30 requires massive amounts of force on the front of the contraption that then has a nut spin freely in the back as the back contraption that is supposed to hold it in place doesn’t … in other words :rage: :disgust: an over complicated way to secure the light … I got 2/4 fasteners off and the 2 I couldn’t are inaccessible from the rear so I can’t secure the nut in order to take it off.
This is the kinda shit I hated my VW for.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
razr390

adoob wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:39 pm
Oh man that DRL bulb on the Jetta. If you don’t want to take the headlights off to replace… many a bloody knuckle
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:52 am
adoob wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:39 pm

Oh man that DRL bulb on the Jetta. If you don’t want to take the headlights off to replace… many a bloody knuckle
I bought low and high beam bulbs along with my DRLs because I decided if I was gonna go through the pain of pulling off the bumper to get the headlight housing out to change the DRL, might as well change it all at once. I drove with one DRL out for almost a year because I didn't feel like doing that LOL
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Speaking of DRLs, I gotta figure out some way to add DRLs that don't look jank on :cheese:. Thinking either getting a white/amber switchback thing for the turn signal bulbs to work as DRLs, saw a pic of some NC somewhere with that setup that looks good. Or doing that one wiring mod to allow the fog light switch to function independently of the headlights, because those Morimoto LED fogs look great.

Florida drivers are blind.
max225

Pot metal on the back of the T30 can not prevent the nut from spinning fucking up the removal

This is the easiest one of the 3 one is under the bumper essentially and behind the windshield washer bottle… impossible to get to without pulling half the car apart :disgust:
max225

Part of the “solution” some dudes weld it … other complain it is cross threaded from factory
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

What the hell lol
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

adoob wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:30 am Speaking of DRLs, I gotta figure out some way to add DRLs that don't look jank on :cheese:. Thinking either getting a white/amber switchback thing for the turn signal bulbs to work as DRLs, saw a pic of some NC somewhere with that setup that looks good. Or doing that one wiring mod to allow the fog light switch to function independently of the headlights, because those Morimoto LED fogs look great.

Florida drivers are blind.
I'd just go with the fog light solution if it's easy, that would be :notbad: and look pretty OEM.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man a friend of mine is trying to get me to sell him the Beemah for $22K. More than I paid for the thing 30K miles ago in 2018.

I don't think I'm going to :doit: :doe: , what the hell else am I going to get?
razr390

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:05 am Man a friend of mine is trying to get me to sell him the Beemah for $22K. More than I paid for the thing 30K miles ago in 2018.

The real question is what the hell are you going to get that your wife will also be onboard with?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:05 am Man a friend of mine is trying to get me to sell him the Beemah for $22K. More than I paid for the thing 30K miles ago in 2018.

BRZ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:46 am

The real question is what the hell are you going to get that your wife will also be onboard with?
She doesn't care if I don't spend more money. I could talk her into spending more but it's also a 'pick your battles' type thing. I bought a bike for $3K 10 days ago :doe:

The thing is, I actually need a car now for work/going into the field, so playing an unknown waiting game isn't really an option. Everything used is dumb as far as I know, curious if I'm :wrong: , but the only thing in the $20-30K range I really would want is maybe a Miata... BUT I am going to be driving to Atlanta, Raleigh, around Charlotte, occasionally other smaller markets like Ashville, Greenville, Columbia, etc. at least once a month. The BMW would be more fuel efficient and comfy than a Miata.

I do covet a GR86 but it would also be a bit worse for the commutes, worse if the :baby: thing happens at some point, +$12K or so on top of the Beemah cash if I was to do that, and then the waiting game.

For what I'm doing (trips around the Carolinas for work, occasional track events, driving to MTB parks and such), I really can't think of a much better do it all vehicle than the 328i unless I doubled the price to say an M2 or Hype R or something. New Si or maybe Elantra N are cool but not sure they're really worth +50%/the hassle of dealing with buying a car in today's market.

I think the wise choice is just driving the BMW either until it becomes unreliable or we get a house with better parking, and then offing it for Prius + GR86.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:56 am

BRZ?
Or GR86.

$22k for BMW, extra 8k on top for a base BRZ/GR86, really :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:06 am
Tar wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:56 am

BRZ?
Or GR86.

Apparently one dealership near me has two BRZs on the lot. Both grey, and two more coming... not sure if GR86 is attainable at this moment. :iono: ? I like the Toyota version better personally.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:17 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:06 am
Or GR86.

Apparently one dealership near me has two BRZs on the lot. Both grey, and two more coming... not sure if GR86 is attainable at this moment. :iono: ? I like the Toyota version better personally.
I do too. If I went out and bought a grey BRZ I would just forever wish it was a red GR86. I have compromised on spectoo many times, it's worth waiting for the right thing.

I just hope the 328i isn't worth $10K in a year, but it is what it is, that would just be normal.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:03 am
razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:46 am
She doesn't care if I don't spend more money. I could talk her into spending more but it's also a 'pick your battles' type thing. I bought a bike for $3K 10 days ago :doe:

The thing is, I actually need a car now for work/going into the field, so playing an unknown waiting game isn't really an option. Everything used is dumb as far as I know, curious if I'm :wrong: , but the only thing in the $20-30K range I really would want is maybe a Miata... BUT I am going to be driving to Atlanta, Raleigh, around Charlotte, occasionally other smaller markets like Ashville, Greenville, Columbia, etc. at least once a month. The BMW would be more fuel efficient and comfy than a Miata.

I do covet a GR86 but it would also be a bit worse for the commutes, worse if the :baby: thing happens at some point, +$12K or so on top of the Beemah cash if I was to do that, and then the waiting game.

For what I'm doing (trips around the Carolinas for work, occasional track events, driving to MTB parks and such), I really can't think of a much better do it all vehicle than the 328i unless I doubled the price to say an M2 or Hype R or something. New Si or maybe Elantra N are cool but not sure they're really worth +50%/the hassle of dealing with buying a car in today's market.

I think the wise choice is just driving the BMW either until it becomes unreliable or we get a house with better parking, and then offing it for Prius + GR86.
Want to buy a corolla hybrid?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:12 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:03 am

Nah, I think if that was my only car I'd be too :sad:

Don't really have room for two at the moment.

The more I think about it, the more I'm committed to CuckMW life. :ohwell: , it's a solid car.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:54 am

I do too. If I went out and bought a grey BRZ I would just forever wish it was a red GR86. I have compromised on spectoo many times, it's worth waiting for the right thing.

I just hope the 328i isn't worth $10K in a year, but it is what it is, that would just be normal.
If buying a new car at MSRP, get what you want with minimal compromises. Even something as stupid as color makes a big difference. There's only been a few times where I was able to line up my ideal color for a vehicle, and it makes a big difference in my "like" for the vehicle. I love the way my bright orange JT looked, I really love the way the 4R turned out, which is particularly good because I waited longer specifically for the color. I could have had a white or gray one far quicker, but it was worth the wait.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:54 am
Is the captive nut seized on the bolt?

I don't recall running into issues on the wife's F56; all of the headlight bolts came out without an issue from what I can remember. It was just a little tedious getting everything lined back up again so the shut lines were equal on all sides of the headlight.
somewhat seized I think...it just seems like it doesn't want to come out past the last 3 threads... Fking bizarre. 1 came out just fine (annoyingly the one that is accessible from the back) the other 2 are basically stuck on. Sounds like the factory uses some sort of loctite component that may be doing this
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:32 am
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:12 am

Nah, I think if that was my only car I'd be too :sad:
You are not wrong. Fantastic appliance and a solid tool.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:54 am

I couldn't but a grey BRZ either, but would have a close look at one in a better color.