OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:37 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:04 pm

That's a good point, we've got a lot of equity in real estate right now, and I'd want quality of life and proper education to accompany the nicer weather. Heck, anything outside of NY state should be equal to or better than our weather.

So work aside, what is the best state for lifestyle? No interest in Cali, they're too Canadian fit my liking.
Red states are the new "mecca" however they come with their own share of downsides. What are you looking to do ? You can make most US states work, but coasts tend to be most coveted/best served by airports etc.
Cream of the crop, nice views/geography, great schools, decent weather (I'm ok with 4 seasons)... i could do $1-1.2MM for a nice house in a dope community. Near a beach/coast would be ideal.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:23 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:37 pm

Red states are the new "mecca" however they come with their own share of downsides. What are you looking to do ? You can make most US states work, but coasts tend to be most coveted/best served by airports etc.
Cream of the crop, nice views/geography, great schools, decent weather (I'm ok with 4 seasons)... i could do $1-1.2MM for a nice house in a dope community. Near a beach/coast would be ideal.
Yea 1 -1.2 in a "Dope" community limits you. That's parts of florida... parts of PANW and parts of Denver... but things got expensive all over here also. California at 1-1.2 will likely not be good. Same goes for northern east coast. Which has the best schools. If you can move to 1.5-1.9 california really opens up.
max225

I would say "cream of the crop" now starts at $2M. Pre pandemic $1.2 was doable.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:33 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:23 pm

Yea 1 -1.2 in a "Dope" community limits you. That's parts of florida... parts of PANW and parts of Denver... but things got expensive all over here also. California at 1-1.2 will likely not be good. Same goes for northern east coast. Which has the best schools. If you can move to 1.5-1.9 california really opens up.
Yeah we could do more. I'm holding 2.3 between two places RN
max225

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:50 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:33 pm

Yea with that figure you can do quite decently here.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:57 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:50 pm

If want to scrub off about 400k so I could be debt free and work at McShits and still pay my bills. Wife would probably still need a real job doe 😆
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:36 pm I would say "cream of the crop" now starts at $2M. Pre pandemic $1.2 was doable.
That inflation happened here too, i rode the train
max225

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:01 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:57 pm

If want to scrub off about 400k so I could be debt free and work at McShits and still pay my bills. Wife would probably still need a real job doe 😆
Well prop taxes require you to pay around 30k a year + health insurance + whatever... you need 100k a year CLEAN as a baseline to "exist" even if you don't have a mortgage.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:02 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:01 pm

Well prop taxes require you to pay around 30k a year + health insurance + whatever... you need 100k a year CLEAN as a baseline to "exist" even if you don't have a mortgage.
Those prop taxes are way higher then we pay, double actually!

What are the top three areas for that $1.9MM great destination, somewhat nice home?
max225

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:21 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:02 pm

What are the top three areas for that $1.9MM great destination, somewhat nice home?
San Diego/Carlsbad Area (best in cali IMO)
Austin/Lake Travis if Texas is your thing.
Florida really depends on what you want...Prop taxes depend on your current assessed value. I am assuming you guys in Canuckistan have some sort of grace period as I am sure you didn't pay 2.3M for your currents properties. I am assuming you'll get the full $2M prop here so you'll be stuck with that tax basis ,
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:40 pm

Florida really depends on what you want...Prop taxes depend on your current assessed value. I am assuming you guys in Canuckistan have some sort of grace period as I am sure you didn't pay 2.3M for your currents properties. I am assuming you'll get the full $2M prop here so you'll be stuck with that tax basis ,
It's weird here, we paid 1.1MM US for our house but they assessed it at 880k and charge < 1% so our bill is $7k/yr. If we bought now it would be higher but it's cheap in comparison.

The Grand Bend place gets assessed at purchase price, so regions chose their own methods of valuation. I pay 5k/yr and my neighbor who bought for 850k pays 8.5k/yr.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:40 pm

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Carlsbad looks dope
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Michelle’s parents are in Carlsbad. It’s nice for sure. I’d live there over San Diego, and if you want to come to SD it’s generally a quick 30 minute drive assuming not traffic.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

There are many great areas of the USA, it just depends on what you’re after, really.

Charlotte is indeed pretty nice in many ways and you could certainly get a nice house for $1.1 mill here. I think our housing is a little overpriced for what it is considering there’s really nothing geographically special here, no mountains, water, Cali climate, etc. It’s still a nice place with plenty of jobs/money/shit to do.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

One thing I was surprised by when we were in St Pete this week was that everything is less expensive than Charlotte there. I find this odd as it is much more desirable in terms of geography/climate IMO.

It may just be because I grew up in Charlotte when it was like 75% less people but I think it’s gotten a bit too big for it’s britches with 1k square foot houses costing half a mill and a mixed drink being $16. Kind of like Chris‘s views on Detroit…
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:39 pm Michelle’s parents are in Carlsbad. It’s nice for sure. I’d live there over San Diego, and if you want to come to SD it’s generally a quick 30 minute drive assuming not traffic.
That's frigging sick man, yeah hanging would be a must!
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:58 pm One thing I was surprised by when we were in St Pete this week was that everything is less expensive than Charlotte there. I find this odd as it is much more desirable in terms of geography/climate IMO.

It may just be because I grew up in Charlotte when it was like 75% less people but I think it’s gotten a bit too big for it’s britches with 1k square foot houses costing half a mill and a mixed drink being $16. Kind of like Chris‘s views on Detroit…
Well that's because everyone from higher income areas with $20 drinks moved to areas with $10 drinks, driving them up to $16... while still getting :dill:

blame the joys from WFH...

BFE areas of the US are the ones that really jumped up like crazy... anywhere that had 150-200k homes is now at 300-400 which is pretty shocking considering how undesirable said areas are for generating that sort of income required... until WFH changes that's here to stay.

Ironically EXPENSIVE AF areas like SF/Newport/NY went up far more modestly at 15-30%
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:55 pm There are many great areas of the USA, it just depends on what you’re after, really.

Charlotte is indeed pretty nice in many ways and you could certainly get a nice house for $1.1 mill here. I think our housing is a little overpriced for what it is considering there’s really nothing geographically special here, no mountains, water, Cali climate, etc. It’s still a nice place with plenty of jobs/money/shit to do.
Finding manufacturing/robotics is there, i like the weather and the culture of people has always been good vibes. I'd want to be as close to a beach as possible.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:55 pm There are many great areas of the USA, it just depends on what you’re after, really.

Finding manufacturing/robotics is there, i like the weather and the culture of people has always been good vibes. I'd want to be as close to a beach as possible.
The Carolina beaches are really nice, they’re a ways from here though, 3+ hours depending on which ones you’re visiting.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

BMW has a plant in Spartanburg, SC. It’s near Greenville which is a bit more up and coming and would be pretty cool to live in. Not sure if any other manufacturers are in that area, nothing around here in Charlotte to my knowledge.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:58 pm One thing I was surprised by when we were in St Pete this week was that everything is less expensive than Charlotte there. I find this odd as it is much more desirable in terms of geography/climate IMO.

Well that's because everyone from higher income areas with $20 drinks moved to areas with $10 drinks, driving them up to $16... while still getting :dill:

blame the joys from WFH...

BFE areas of the US are the ones that really jumped up like crazy... anywhere that had 150-200k homes is now at 300-400 which is pretty shocking considering how undesirable said areas are for generating that sort of income required... until WFH changes that's here to stay.

Ironically EXPENSIVE AF areas like SF/Newport/NY went up far more modestly at 15-30%
:notwrong: This was happening in Charlotte pre pandemic as there are many jobs here but a lot of the smaller, nice places like beach/mountain towns are now overrun.

:ohwell:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:23 pm BMW has a plant in Spartanburg, SC. It’s near Greenville which is a bit more up and coming and would be pretty cool to live in. Not sure if any other manufacturers are in that area, nothing around here in Charlotte to my knowledge.
I could work with BMW equip and nuzzle in there with a pretty good gig. I think it pulls us away from the better spots and I would rather reinvent myself to service other things, I could start working at a in refrigeration service company as a tech and start a service business in 5 yrs and make it lucrative. Good service always keeps a contractor busy and that line of business is for sure always in demand. It would be my version of a retirement job.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

San Antonio has the 'Yota plant that makes Tundras and Tacos.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:35 pm

San Antonio has the 'Yota plant that makes Tundras and Tacos.
I was thinking that, setup near a Toyota plant and do exactly what I'm doing now but for more money.