OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Thinking I'm gonna take a sick day Thursday before our flight up to OR. Spend the morning prepping all my food for the trip and getting into the gym before we take off at 4pm. Travelling sucks.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:07 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:06 pm Also I'll be dropping off the tesla this morning... made the appointment 3 weeks ago... "first come first serve" but no loaners available. :lolol: Just bay area things...

could be 7-10 days.
you got a Tesla LOL. I knew someone would be the first just didn't expect you. Cliffs on how you like it? I mean, aside from this service thing.
Best sedan I have ever driven.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:30 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:07 pm

you got a Tesla LOL. I knew someone would be the first just didn't expect you. Cliffs on how you like it? I mean, aside from this service thing.
I hear that alot, glad you like it. I'd totally have one as a next car if the cost gets more in line with what I personally would be willing to pay for an appliance car.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:46 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:26 pm So all that talk aside. What else is good out there ?
Things are slow here, people i communicate with are MIA. Not sure if they are home sick, depressed, or just aintcaring too. Playing video games with the kids and WFH if you can call it that. It's a weird ass week.
Pretty similar here... I officially started my new role yesterday but my boss is out of town/unreachable/PTO and didn't really have time to get me going with anything, I was left with a spreadsheet of customers to 'start going over' but I've been having a hard time getting motivated to do much. Kind of nice to be a bit :aintcare: for a few weeks so I'm just trying to appreciate some relaxation time as it's rare for me.

No lockdowns here of any kind. We did get some updates from the company re: try to not go to the office unless absolutely necessary. Fine by me :lolol:

The news is loaded with COVID talk and case spread is massive. I heard that 26% of Carolinians have COVID right now :lolol:

I can say in the past week that my parents have had it, three coworkers on a team of 10, about 15-20% of faculty/staff at my wife's school are out with it and 20% of the student body. It seems like the Omicron variant is little more than a cold :lolol: I'm hoping this is the last straw and as people realize this variant isn't that serious, we can start to move on with life.
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:41 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:30 pm

I hear that alot, glad you like it. I'd totally have one as a next car if the cost gets more in line with what I personally would be willing to pay for an appliance car.
Yea I think i am going to Yeet it in the next month or two. I wanted to see if the EV life is right for me. And in 90% of ways it is. The main issue is Tesla is the only name in town and tesla by itself while great has downsides in (service) for example. And style/+personalization.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:50 pm

Yea I think i am going to Yeet it in the next month or two. I wanted to see if the EV life is right for me. And in 90% of ways it is. The main issue is Tesla is the only name in town and tesla by itself while great has downsides in (service) for example. And style/+personalization.
EV life is nice. I have bought gas like 3 or 4 times in last year and a half, and still have half a tank.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:popcorn:

What are you going to do next, hold out for the Fendie? I feel like after living with the Tessie, there's not much going back, you can't just go back to Franzia after enjoying fine wine daily for years. I imagine some lesser EV like an i3 would be :disgust:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:49 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:46 pm

Things are slow here, people i communicate with are MIA. Not sure if they are home sick, depressed, or just aintcaring too. Playing video games with the kids and WFH if you can call it that. It's a weird ass week.
Pretty similar here... I officially started my new role yesterday but my boss is out of town/unreachable/PTO and didn't really have time to get me going with anything, I was left with a spreadsheet of customers to 'start going over' but I've been having a hard time getting motivated to do much. Kind of nice to be a bit :aintcare: for a few weeks so I'm just trying to appreciate some relaxation time as it's rare for me.

No lockdowns here of any kind. We did get some updates from the company re: try to not go to the office unless absolutely necessary. Fine by me :lolol:

The news is loaded with COVID talk and case spread is massive. I heard that 26% of Carolinians have COVID right now :lolol:

I can say in the past week that my parents have had it, three coworkers on a team of 10, about 15-20% of faculty/staff at my wife's school are out with it and 20% of the student body. It seems like the Omicron variant is little more than a cold :lolol: I'm hoping this is the last straw and as people realize this variant isn't that serious, we can start to move on with life.
That's nice! I'm glad it's enjoyable for you, I just issued a quote to my new client and will make my own new work as it seems that whomever I'm relying on to get things going in my usual spots is more chill then we are. 26% is fantastic, our gov is fucking up by putting us into full lockdown mode so we can dick around with this dumb cold for an extra few months/years on this side of the border. If things stay like this for too long I'm going to have a talk with my wife about selling our assets and moving to the US. I'm sure that we can arrange Green Card status with the experience we have. Both Tesla and Rivian employees that I used to do business with asked me if I wanted a job. I'd probably go someplace warmer, maybe Kentucky and deal with the Toyota plant(s) there to keep things simple. We gotta move on already, this is silly.
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:08 pm

That's nice! I'm glad it's enjoyable for you, I just issued a quote to my new client and will make my own new work as it seems that whomever I'm relying on to get things going in my usual spots is more chill then we are. 26% is fantastic, our gov is fucking up by putting us into full lockdown mode so we can dick around with this dumb cold for an extra few months/years on this side of the border. If things stay like this for too long I'm going to have a talk with my wife about selling our assets and moving to the US. I'm sure that we can arrange Green Card status with the experience we have. Both Tesla and Rivian employees that I used to do business with asked me if I wanted a job. I'd probably go someplace warmer, maybe Kentucky and deal with the Toyota plant(s) there to keep things simple. We gotta move on already, this is silly.
I have a buddy from Canada who did the green card, then full citizenship down here, before ultimately moving back up to Toronto after getting married to be closer to his wife's parents. Can put you in contact if needed for tips on making it a smooth process if you do go that route.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Ford is building a literal city south of Nashville to make electric vehicles, pretty sure new assembly plant and the whole 9. Smith & Wesson broke ground on their plant they moving from Springfield mass. recently.

TN sucks. it's a rebel flag waving hellscape. Definitely don't consider it for a move. Weather is awful, no good roads, not a damn thing to do. Oh and the schools are terribad. (in Memphis they are for real lol)
brain go brrrrrr
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:05 pm

What are you going to do next, hold out for the Fendie? I feel like after living with the Tessie, there's not much going back, you can't just go back to Franzia after enjoying fine wine daily for years. I imagine some lesser EV like an i3 would be :disgust:
You do realize I drove a 400k mile crown vic for 3 months after my F30 335i? I also drove a 2001 2wd tacoma with 251k miles for 5 months out of the last year. I enjoy my :scrooge: as much as I enjoy the finer things in life.

Yea the Tessie is an amazing car. And I'd love to keep it, I am just really not sure about having a rapidly depreciating 90k vehicle... by my current calculations it is costing me about 1k a month for the next 5-7 years in depreciation.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:18 pm

I have a buddy from Canada who did the green card, then full citizenship down here, before ultimately moving back up to Toronto after getting married to be closer to his wife's parents. Can put you in contact if needed for tips on making it a smooth process if you do go that route.
I'll keep that in mind, hope things blow over before that happens.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Supposed to get snow tomorrow finally. :excited:

And yea, this week is weird. I called out for this morning after not sleeping, and called into a meeting with my boss and told him I think I may have COVID. He told me to ignore meetings the rest of the day or week if needed and focus on getting better. He had COVID a few weeks back and confirmed my symptoms are very similar to what he experienced.

I have next to no e-mails or Slacks. I think everyone is easing into the new year, which I'm really glad to see.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:05 pm

You do realize I drove a 400k mile crown vic for 3 months after my F30 335i? I also drove a 2001 2wd tacoma with 251k miles for 5 months out of the last year. I enjoy my :scrooge: as much as I enjoy the finer things in life.

Yea the Tessie is an amazing car. And I'd love to keep it, I am just really not sure about having a rapidly depreciating 90k vehicle... by my current calculations it is costing me about 1k a month for the next 5-7 years in depreciation.
The question is how rapidly depreciating it really is. If Tesla keeps raising prices, that just boosts your residual. And if demand continues to be greater than supply, maybe you have more time.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:26 pm

Ford is building a literal city south of Nashville to make electric vehicles, pretty sure new assembly plant and the whole 9. Smith & Wesson broke ground on their plant they moving from Springfield mass. recently.

TN sucks. it's a rebel flag waving hellscape. Definitely don't consider it for a move. Weather is awful, no good roads, not a damn thing to do. Oh and the schools are terribad. (in Memphis they are for real lol)
That's a good point, we've got a lot of equity in real estate right now, and I'd want quality of life and proper education to accompany the nicer weather. Heck, anything outside of NY state should be equal to or better than our weather.

So work aside, what is the best state for lifestyle? No interest in Cali, they're too Canadian fit my liking.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:04 pm

That's a good point, we've got a lot of equity in real estate right now, and I'd want quality of life and proper education to accompany the nicer weather. Heck, anything outside of NY state should be equal to or better than our weather.

So work aside, what is the best state for lifestyle? No interest in Cali, they're too Canadian fit my liking.
Brad was kidding, Tennessee is a pretty great place IMO. It's top 5 places we'd consider moving outside of where we are.

North Carolina with Dan seems pretty awesome too.

Texas is nuts now, so is Arizona and the southwest in general. Plus it's all on fire with no water to put it out (or drink).

But Tennesse, Kentucky, North Carolina, parts of Missouri (St Louis). hell someone was telling me recently that parts of Oklahoma are cool...Omaha seems interesting.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:59 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:42 pm

The question is how rapidly depreciating it really is. If Tesla keeps raising prices, that just boosts your residual. And if demand continues to be greater than supply, maybe you have more time.
Model S is sort of Fked... the model 3 is fine because it's only been out since 2018... so a 2018 lost 0 $ since it started at 40k... and is still 40k as the new ones are 52k.

a 2018 model S is about 30k cheaper than my unit ... mainly because they had way more battery choices etc. They had 60/75/85/90/100kw batteries. Now in 22 they only have 100KW. Given how no one understands how electricity works, everyone will just cross shop "model S to Model S" and "save 30k over 2022 by going with a lesser 2018 model.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:59 pm
Model S is sort of Fked... the model 3 is fine because it's only been out since 2018... so a 2018 lost 0 $ since it started at 40k... and is still 40k as the new ones are 52k.

a 2018 model S is about 30k cheaper than my unit ... mainly because they had way more battery choices etc. They had 60/75/85/90/100kw batteries. Now in 22 they only have 100KW. Given how no one understands how electricity works, everyone will just cross shop "model S to Model S" and "save 30k over 2022 by going with a lesser 2018 model.
True, but doesn't your "22" have a "refresh" over the old ones? That's gotta add some sort of desirability?

Still, good point. Seems like the right thing to love and hold onto, not buy and flip.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:24 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:16 pm

True, but doesn't your "22" have a "refresh" over the old ones? That's gotta add some sort of desirability?

Still, good point. Seems like the right thing to love and hold onto, not buy and flip.
Huge refresh for 22... but based on what I saw in the "carvana" algorithm... It is the reverse of what happened with your "CT-sport". It just looks back at "model S long range" has 150hp less. And an interior that dates back to 2012. My 2022 has the first real update to the interior in 9 years, + 150hp + 30 miles in range + wide body.

But that doesn't matter for resale at least in my case from what I can tell... :iono: as a counter argument this just came out... so it is way too early to tell.
SAWCE

Colorado?
max225

Red states are the new "mecca" however they come with their own share of downsides. What are you looking to do ? You can make most US states work, but coasts tend to be most coveted/best served by airports etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:24 pm

Huge refresh for 22... but based on what I saw in the "carvana" algorithm... It is the reverse of what happened with your "CT-sport". It just looks back at "model S long range" has 150hp less. And an interior that dates back to 2012. My 2022 has the first real update to the interior in 9 years, + 150hp + 30 miles in range + wide body.

But that doesn't matter for resale at least in my case from what I can tell... :iono: as a counter argument this just came out... so it is way too early to tell.
Probably too new to tell, really. Gotta imagine that 2022s will carry a premium.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I was joking for the record Chris is right :lolol:

Honestly, Central NC is pretty great for all the things. couple hours to proper mountains, 5-6 to amazing beaches, good school, low tax, climate, etc etc. Charlotte was always on my radar but for a permanent move east TN for me. I did look for jobs in Charlotte tho several times. Honestly anywhere in Appalachia outside of VA is great. Unless you like desert life that is. we really have it all here IMHO.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:14 pm

I was joking for the record Chris is right :lolol:

Honestly, Central NC is pretty great for all the things. couple hours to proper mountains, 5-6 to amazing beaches, good school, low tax, climate, etc etc. Charlotte was always on my radar but for a permanent move east TN for me. I did look for jobs in Charlotte tho several times. Honestly anywhere in Appalachia outside of VA is great. Unless you like desert life that is. we really have it all here IMHO.
My biggest concern would be summer humidity...which is to say, there's not much it's missing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Skipped over this :derp:

Yeah TN sounds pretty cool! Carolinas sound good too....