Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:53 pm Last night my LYFT from the airport was a 2005 LS430 with 335,000 miles, and it was solid, quiet, and smooth as all hell. I want one again.
I love the LS460 (08-13ish), it's a tank and my original go-to after the Arr, but .gov loves taxing dinosaur remains so I've moved on and prioritize FE near the top of my needs list for 2022 and beyond.

My buddy who drives way less then I do bought a 2016 LX570 recently and let me drive it tonight. They are very well built vehicles and age like fine wine. :woodplow:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:38 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:22 pm

I think it was that and he liked the service department by his work, saying they always treated him well. He's very picky about vehicles and I just receive updates without giving much input because everything he looks at is $50k+.
Yeah in some areas Genesis service/concierge is class leading, but in others it's just Hyundai/kia+. I really love how they look and am starting to see more here, but this area also has shit tons of Kia Stingers so it must be regional.
I see Stingers all the time around here, too. A lot more than G70s.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Initial US allocation of GR86's hit this week. There are 141 cars nationally.

Of the 141 there are 3 in Neptune. All manual trans cars are base models only. Zero Manual Premium. Best we can tell there are around 40 manual cars total. The remaining ~100 are split 70/30 base model auto's.

New York Region and Central Atlantic Toyota will not be ordering any Manual Premium cars in for stock, and will only divert those cars to sold orders from the western regions. Last Gen GT86 Manual Premium uptake/sales was near nil for the premium models and the regions have decided to not to run the "risk" again.

Next allocation is 2 weeks for December/January. We'll see what the build mix looks like but it looks like Manual trans premium trim models are going to be rare as hen's teeth in the Northeast. Even with one of the earliest sold orders in the country, I may not see the car until March now. Which is fine, because sportscar in Winter. But still... ugh.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:35 pm Initial US allocation of GR86's hit this week. There are 141 cars nationally.

Of the 141 there are 3 in Neptune. All manual trans cars are base models only. Zero Manual Premium. Best we can tell there are around 40 manual cars total. The remaining ~100 are split 70/30 base model auto's.

New York Region and Central Atlantic Toyota will not be ordering any Manual Premium cars in for stock, and will only divert those cars to sold orders from the western regions. Last Gen GT86 Manual Premium uptake/sales was near nil for the premium models and the regions have decided to not to run the "risk" again.

Next allocation is 2 weeks for December/January. We'll see what the build mix looks like but it looks like Manual trans premium trim models are going to be rare as hen's teeth in the Northeast. Even with one of the earliest sold orders in the country, I may not see the car until March now. Which is fine, because sportscar in Winter. But still... ugh.
Oh hey fellow allocation game player. My gal put in an order for the defender. The dealer said they “haven’t received a build allocation yet” then it gets processed in the build queue then built then aiming for April-june delivery. So we’re waiting to wait
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:41 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:35 pm Initial US allocation of GR86's hit this week. There are 141 cars nationally.

Oh hey fellow allocation game player. My gal put in an order for the defender. The dealer said they “haven’t received a build allocation yet” then it gets processed in the build queue then built then aiming for April-june delivery. So we’re waiting to wait
Nice! Is she excited?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:44 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:41 pm

Nice! Is she excited?
Yep. But it’s just kinda funny hard to be exited when the wait time is almost an entire :plac: lifetime
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:59 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:44 pm
Nice! Is she excited?
Yep. But it’s just kinda funny hard to be exited when the wait time is almost an entire :plac: lifetime
That really is a buzzkill, but since it's an order specced exactly how y'all want it hopefully that helps hold some of the excitement. The wait is similar to a fucking human baby, but the LR will cost you a million less over the next 20 years.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:07 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:59 pm

That really is a buzzkill, but since it's an order specced exactly how y'all want it hopefully that helps hold some of the excitement. The wait is similar to a fucking human baby, but the LR will cost you a million less over the next 20 years.
It really is… there is a minuscule chance that someone may cancel theirs and we can “modify” the slot … but I’m not holding my breath
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

It's funny how we're so used to instant gratification with such a major purchase. Shouldn't we be willing to wait to get exactly what we want when dumping $30k+++ into something?

Hell, my 4R is built and floating in the ocean somewhere and I'm getting antsy :notsure: I'll be able to make the deal work.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:41 am It's funny how we're so used to instant gratification with such a major purchase. Shouldn't we be willing to wait to get exactly what we want when dumping $30k+++ into something?

Hell, my 4R is built and floating in the ocean somewhere and I'm getting antsy :notsure: I'll be able to make the deal work.
Your deal is 3 plac lifetimes closer what’s there to be antsy about. It’ll be here within 1-2 weeks of the promised date, I wouldn’t sweat it.

My promised date has 3 different months in it.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:02 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:41 am It's funny how we're so used to instant gratification with such a major purchase. Shouldn't we be willing to wait to get exactly what we want when dumping $30k+++ into something?

Your deal is 3 plac lifetimes closer what’s there to be antsy about. It’ll be here within 1-2 weeks of the promised date, I wouldn’t sweat it.

A lot of it is contingent on the Cucktrek value, and I don't want to eat up my profit driving some rental car I REALLY don't want.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:05 am

A lot of it is contingent on the Cucktrek value, and I don't want to eat up my profit driving some rental car I REALLY don't want.
:pout:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:08 am
:pout:
:lolol: :ohwell:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Couldn’t you borrow the Tahoe from neighbor for a bit like they offered? Give them like $2-300 bucks instead of $800 in a rental
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/unite ... an/1265807

Also saw a current gen Prius, and a couple other cars in the $35/day range. Doesn't seem like a bad way to go, since I know you don't want to use your neighbor's car any more than you have to. Although do you think your neighbor would be the type to get slightly upset for not taking him up on his offer?
max225

I low key thought about getting an SR5 special Ed for 5-6 months till the defender comes in… should I :doit: ? We got two non marked up ones in the area at 43k
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:14 pm I low key thought about getting an SR5 special Ed for 5-6 months till the defender comes in… should I :doit: ? We got two non marked up ones in the area at 43k
Do it.

:troywax:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:43 pm

Also saw a current gen Prius, and a couple other cars in the $35/day range. Doesn't seem like a bad way to go, since I know you don't want to use your neighbor's car any more than you have to. Although do you think your neighbor would be the type to get slightly upset for not taking him up on his offer?
Neighbor's offer was contingent on him being able to drive his Camaro instead. But we got our first snow this weekend and it's probably going to stick, so I suspect those days are done. The car has never seen salt and he doesn't want it to, and I totally get that.

We don't have Turo up here, but the Toyota :dillerman: offered to hook me up with some sort of rental if needed. Still no ETA on the 4R, so who knows how long that would be.

Cucktrek offer expires on 12/8, so I still have a bit over a week to see how things develop. I'll be curious to see what the value is at next week, hoping that I can get a new offer that's the same or more and buy myself another week or so. Biggest question is how long after I accept the offer and it expires before I have to give them the car.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:14 pm I low key thought about getting an SR5 special Ed for 5-6 months till the defender comes in… should I :doit: ? We got two non marked up ones in the area at 43k
Why not? I doubt you'd lose much of anything on it in that timeframe, might as well take advantage of this crazy time and try out a different vehicle for a bit with minimal risk?

Maybe you'll like it enough to :aintcare: and keep it :scrooge:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:01 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:43 pm

Neighbor's offer was contingent on him being able to drive his Camaro instead. But we got our first snow this weekend and it's probably going to stick, so I suspect those days are done. The car has never seen salt and he doesn't want it to, and I totally get that.

We don't have Turo up here, but the Toyota :dillerman: offered to hook me up with some sort of rental if needed. Still no ETA on the 4R, so who knows how long that would be.

Cucktrek offer expires on 12/8, so I still have a bit over a week to see how things develop. I'll be curious to see what the value is at next week, hoping that I can get a new offer that's the same or more and buy myself another week or so. Biggest question is how long after I accept the offer and it expires before I have to give them the car.
Yeah that car and all the other decent ones were in Detroit. Hopefully the :dillerman: rental isn't priced to match actual rentals.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:05 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:01 am

Yeah that car and all the other decent ones were in Detroit. Hopefully the :dillerman: rental isn't priced to match actual rentals.
Yea, I'm driving down to Detroit the second week of December for work meetings, but I don't like going down there unless I absolutely have to. I'd rather rent a car locally if I need.

:dillerman: has zero incentive to help me, so I suspect the rental "deal" wouldn't be great. Hoping to keep the Cucktrek until the 4R comes, but who knows.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am
Why not? I doubt you'd lose much of anything on it in that timeframe, might as well take advantage of this crazy time and try out a different vehicle for a bit with minimal risk?

They are 43k :doe: not exactly :scrooge:

I low key want a first gen V6 extended cab with a :manuel: but these things are 20-25k :fullretard: but a bit more on the :scrooge: side
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:07 am
What kind of rental " :dill: " is available for a delayed vehicle arrival?
:iono: Haven't really asked. Goal was for the Cucktrek to bridge the gap.

I want an ETA on the 4R first, which they don't have yet. If they don't know (it's on a ship, it's all they claim to know), then it could be months still and I'm not renting a car for months.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:19 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am

I low key want a first gen V6 extended cab with a :manuel: but these things are 20-25k :fullretard: but a bit more on the :scrooge: side
$43k compared to $80k or whatever the Defender is :scrooge: IMO.

First gen Toyota trucks are :megusta: :fullretard: but :megusta:
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:25 am
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:19 am

$43k compared to $80k or whatever the Defender is :scrooge: IMO.

First gen Toyota trucks are :megusta: :fullretard: but :megusta:
My defender order is 65k. But apples to oranges here. Trd pro is closer to my defender, and that’s 54k. None are :scrooge:

Yea I drove the in laws first gen to pick up a Christmas tree and that thing is still kicking pretty good with 250k miles of 0 maintenance