Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:13 pm

Anyone with half a brain is waiting this out…. Anyone walking into it “needing a car today” is just :fullretard: and there have been quite a few sales in the last 2 months despite the pricing.

There are a few people waiting, ironically the high used values are also causing the high demand for new over priced cars. It ends up being a wash for most. And a benefit to some… because used has outpaced new due to the carvanas of the world it has pushed the new prices even further.

There are tons of people on the Tacoma forum trading in 100k trucks for near new msrp and buying new ones at sticker.
Like 2-4K “hit” to go 100k miles … and they are acting like it’s “normal”.

That weird market didn’t exist before…

But this will correct soon enough. :popcorn:
Yea, it's that second element that opportunists are taking advantage of, which is screwing things up even further. I should not be able to make $4k in actual profit from a car I purchased new at MSRP 6 months ago. Yet here I am and hopefully going to take advantage of it. I wouldn't otherwise, we'd ride the Crosstrek into the sunset. But there's nothing special about it, so if we want another one, we can buy the exact same car in a few months for MSRP or under. Patience is key right now.
I think at some point the "Coffers" will be full with places like Carvana/Vroom etc. How much inventory can they really take on? Obviously a lot... but I thought about this a bit and its quite fascinating. Used values up 46% and new up 25%... that SHOULD NOT be the case. This is all driven by increased demand for USED cars by these firms. Which is obviously why the oems are restricting the lease turn ins etc.

The crazy part to me is, that the REAL DEMAND for used and new vehicles is actually FAR LOWER than the current situation. You just have new players competing for the same vehicles.
Carmax/Vroom/Carvana are literally in a bidding war to outfuck each other. Fascinating...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:50 pm Major :disappoint: :eeyore: today with regards to vehicles in particular. Just doesn't seem right to spend such large amounts of money on disposable objects that will depreciate into oblivion... :yikes:

How does one get around that mental road block?
I watch the part in Talladega Nights where John C. Reilly says "Cause I Like to Party."
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:18 pm
Yea, it's that second element that opportunists are taking advantage of, which is screwing things up even further. I should not be able to make $4k in actual profit from a car I purchased new at MSRP 6 months ago. Yet here I am and hopefully going to take advantage of it. I wouldn't otherwise, we'd ride the Crosstrek into the sunset. But there's nothing special about it, so if we want another one, we can buy the exact same car in a few months for MSRP or under. Patience is key right now.
I think at some point the "Coffers" will be full with places like Carvana/Vroom etc. How much inventory can they really take on? Obviously a lot... but I thought about this a bit and its quite fascinating. Used values up 46% and new up 25%... that SHOULD NOT be the case. This is all driven by increased demand for USED cars by these firms. Which is obviously why the oems are restricting the lease turn ins etc.

The crazy part to me is, that the REAL DEMAND for used and new vehicles is actually FAR LOWER than the current situation. You just have new players competing for the same vehicles.
Carmax/Vroom/Carvana are literally in a bidding war to outfuck each other. Fascinating...
I've scoured Carvana looking for a semi-decent deal on a fun car that I could trade the Cucktrek for then add the 4R to the fleet once it comes.

Their inventory on some cars is crazy, they've got pages of WRXs for example, none of which are a good deal. They have zero deals, pretty much everything is :fullretard: value, and they must bank on trade ins at high values so their paying more for trades is offset by the customer paying way more for a replacement used vehicle, making all gains fake and literally just inflating values.

But unlike normal dealers, they have inventory spread across the country, and since they lose money on each sale, they need shipping costs to be as low as possible. So each region of the country has unique inventory that needs to reflect local market need...which they have zero Crosstreks in my area, hence the insane offer value for it. As long as people keep paying these insane prices, their business model continues and their inventory max across the country is pretty high.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

@max GV70 EV is coming. I think I'd pay for your ban if you ever bought a Model Y. I saw so fucking many and they keep getting uglier and uglier.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:23 pm @max GV70 EV is coming. I think I'd pay for your ban if you ever bought a Model Y. I saw so fucking many and they keep getting uglier and uglier.
Hey that’s a mean thing to say. Been sorta eying the GV70 in general. But I’m real tired of the same old jelly belly cross over style. It’s boring af to me.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:28 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:23 pm @max GV70 EV is coming. I think I'd pay for your ban if you ever bought a Model Y. I saw so fucking many and they keep getting uglier and uglier.
Hey that’s a mean thing to say. Been sorta eying the GV70 in general. But I’m real tired of the same old jelly belly cross over style. It’s boring af to me.
I wouldn't ACTUALLY do that, but I'd be real :disappoint:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:38 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:28 pm

I wouldn't ACTUALLY do that, but I'd be real :disappoint:
I’d be real :disappoint: myself.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I really like the GV70. They look awesome.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:26 pm I really like the GV70. They look awesome.
Totally agree.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

My friend just bought a GV70. It is a nice vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. I'm not even sure why he went back to Genesis after all of the issues he had with the sunroof in his G70.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:34 am My friend just bought a GV70. It is a nice vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. I'm not even sure why he went back to Genesis after all of the issues he had with the sunroof in his G70.
Geoff told me about this guy. He probably liked his G70 regardless of the sunroof problem? People buy VWs over and over after sunroof issues too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:40 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Buy a car you like and want and plan to actually keep. Then depreciation will be automatically factored into your considerations and you won’t care. And if it DOESN’T depreciate then it’s just a bonus/win.
Actually plan on keeping ?! You must be new to the world of :plac:

In all seriousness just trying to not light 2k a month on fire. For that money I can turo a new fancy vehicle for as many days as I actually use mine. Which is really where this is starting to fall apart for me in my mind.

:scrooge: is strong at the moment …
I don't really know what to tell you man... I would have minimal issues spending a lot on a car and would be driving something completely different if I was single. It's something I love and that actually offers value to me, and I can pay for that given I make decent money.

Meanwhile, for me, the huge :scrooge: :triggered: is stupid food/drinks out. Blowing $200 on a dinner bothers the fuck out of me and I just really don't enjoy it all that much more than Taco Bell and a case of Miller High Life on my patio.

We all care about different things, pump your disposable money into what you enjoy within reason.

I kind of think you shouldn't get the Defender because you will be so hot and bothered by the depreciation. I think a dude in your same position but less :scrooge: I would advise to just :doit: Sadly, the Taco may have been the right thing for you as it checks many of the same boxes and is much better on the balance sheet.

You either need to just enjoy the car and not think about the money, or stick with Toyota :mahman: , not sure how you can get there, maybe therapy :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:54 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:34 am My friend just bought a GV70. It is a nice vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. I'm not even sure why he went back to Genesis after all of the issues he had with the sunroof in his G70.
Geoff told me about this guy. He probably liked his G70 regardless of the sunroof problem? People buy VWs over and over after sunroof issues too.
Some people don't realize that you can just go get cars that don't break all the time (basically everyone who is into Euro trash).

I have a buddy at work who literally traded in a G80 for another G80 because the sunroof was fucked and the :dillerman: just couldn't get it right.
max225

What sort of sunroof issues were had?

The woman’s 11 year old tsx sunroof operates flawlessly as does my euro trash 5 year old mini.

I had many sunroofs including one in a 200k mile beat to shit 328ci euro trash bmw that was 25 years old… and still no issues.

Luck of the draw ? :iono:

I’ve blown 4x as many water pumps as sunroofs.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:06 pm What sort of sunroof issues were had?

The woman’s 11 year old tsx sunroof operates flawlessly as does my euro trash 5 year old mini.

I had many sunroofs including one in a 200k mile beat to shit 328ci euro trash bmw that was 25 years old… and still no issues.

It had a rattling issue that apparently started at triple digit speeds and then became much more frequent at normal speeds. Then, after many dealer visits, it began leaking. The final straw was during Ida when it was basically Niagara Falls inside of his car. He went started the lemon law process, but I think he wound up trading it before that was finished because the proposed outcomes were going to be crap.
Huckleberry

I think it was that and he liked the service department by his work, saying they always treated him well. He's very picky about vehicles and I just receive updates without giving much input because everything he looks at is $50k+.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:18 pm

It had a rattling issue that apparently started at triple digit speeds and then became much more frequent at normal speeds. Then, after many dealer visits, it began leaking. The final straw was during Ida when it was basically Niagara Falls inside of his car. He went started the lemon law process, but I think he wound up trading it before that was finished because the proposed outcomes were going to be crap.
That’s very odd.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Never had a sunroof issue on my GTI. Dad's old MK2 Golf had the old hand crank sunroof go out but not until after ~12 years and 300k miles.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:22 pm

I think it was that and he liked the service department by his work, saying they always treated him well. He's very picky about vehicles and I just receive updates without giving much input because everything he looks at is $50k+.
Yeah in some areas Genesis service/concierge is class leading, but in others it's just Hyundai/kia+. I really love how they look and am starting to see more here, but this area also has shit tons of Kia Stingers so it must be regional.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Last night my LYFT from the airport was a 2005 LS430 with 335,000 miles, and it was solid, quiet, and smooth as all hell. I want one again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don't really recall with my work friend's Genesis, I think it made a bunch of odd noises or something.

I have never owned a vehicle with a sunroof. Johnny_P approved.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 pm Never had a sunroof issue on my GTI. Dad's old MK2 Golf had the old hand crank sunroof go out but not until after ~12 years and 300k miles.
This is well known here, but none of my previous 4 VW sunroofs ever leaked a drop. My Mk6 developed an issue where it didn't want to close once opened, but it was just a matter of cleaning and lubing the tracks and it was fine until the day it was murdered by fucking Stuart.
wap

And I only replaced one water pump (so far) in 34 years of water cooled VW ownershit.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

wap wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:36 pm And I only replaced one water pump (so far) in 34 years of water cooled VW ownershit.
Do you even Oktoberfest bro?
wap

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:40 pm
wap wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:36 pm And I only replaced one water pump (so far) in 34 years of water cooled VW ownershit.
Do you even Oktoberfest bro?
Apparently not? :iono: :lol: