Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:45 pm

Yeah, I think it is pretty damn normal to get a bit ragey when wrenching on anything, just part of the process.
Not according to :tits:
I installed a hardmount RD for a friend. I told him that if he wanted to think better of me, he could drop his car off and I would take care of it and bring it back to him. Watching a 50+ year old man rage against putting tiny wires into tiny connections is not an activity I really need to share with others.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

So I know Tesla is a rather hot topic around here but have I gone totally :caspian: by considering one right now?

Can you still be a car enthusiast and own a Tesla?
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:58 pm So I know Tesla is a rather hot topic around here but have I gone totally :caspian: by considering one right now?

Yes and yes. Good luck securing new one within a reasonable timeframe though
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:58 pm So I know Tesla is a rather hot topic around here but have I gone totally :caspian: by considering one right now?

You can be an enthusiast if you own anything and are enthusiastic about it.

With Tesla, you just have to accept being a beta tester for a product that's designed more like a phone than a car. Knowing that and buying a new one to have for a few years it's probably fun and novel. I would just be :notsure: about long term ownershit. Reliability is not great, parts availability is quite bad, but as long as it's in warranty and they fix it, then :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:32 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:23 pm

Sometimes you have to make war on your enemy, pure and simple.
Cursing while wrenching is cathartic and healthy.

My problem is, I'm usually doing it at 12AM in the driveway for all the neighbors to hear.
I have spoken at troublesome equipment/parts like we are in the Roman Coliseum.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm

With Tesla, you just have to accept being a beta tester for a product that's designed more like a phone than a car. Knowing that and buying a new one to have for a few years it's probably fun and novel. I would just be :notsure: about long term ownershit. Reliability is not great, parts availability is quite bad, but as long as it's in warranty and they fix it, then :aintcare:
It's kind of a wild idea that's been rattling around. My new commute is only 3 miles so thinking about all those short drives in the R and how it could do damage long term like it may have done to my Mk6 makes me hesitant. And thanks to used car prices it looks like I could :nuke: the R for more than what I got it for. With Tesla being the only manufacturer you can't negotiate with it's intriguing. M3P is what I was thinking but then that pushes Gayman S dreams further down the line. Their website only says November for a 3 but :iono: how accurate it is.

My brother-in-law has had a 3 long range for a few years and they haven't had any issues with it and they drive it everywhere. They love it so much they're going to get a Y too. The only thing is they're in it for the tech. They're not exactly car people.

Or just do nothing since the R is nearly paid off and I have 4 years left on the b2b warranty. Just drive it :aintcare:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:30 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:22 pm

I did a strut replacement on a 99 Accord once. I do remember the rears being more complicated than they needed to be. I think the rear seats had to be pulled, toe links had to be removed, and there was some specific dance that the strut had to do to come out. What I usually do is support the car on jack stands so that the suspension has full travel, and then manipulate the suspension with the jack.
:dat:

Should be on jackstands anyway.
Absolutely. I was just emphasizing the need for the suspension to still be able to be fully articulated. Sometimes, stand placement can get in the way of that.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I can never in good faith recommend getting a Tesla.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:35 am I can never in good faith recommend getting a Tesla.
:butwhy: They can’t be as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

I’m closing in on 5 years combined between both R’s so placitis has definitely set in.
Huckleberry

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:18 am
MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:35 am I can never in good faith recommend getting a Tesla.

I’m closing in on 5 years combined between both R’s so placitis has definitely set in.
For me, I think Musk is one of the biggest knobs on the planet and deserves no one's money.

And since the other manufacturers are coming out with electric offerings, Tesla is no longer the only game in town.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:24 am

For me, I think Musk is one of the biggest knobs on the planet and deserves no one's money.

And since the other manufacturers are coming out with electric offerings, Tesla is no longer the only game in town.
No one is even remotely close in terms of infrastructure though. Mach E is alright but I have no interest in an suv.
Huckleberry

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 am
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:24 am

No one is even remotely close in terms of infrastructure though. Mach E is alright but I have no interest in an suv.
That's still only a short term thing. And the fact that Tesla is allowed to have their own proprietary charging plug like Apple is bullshit.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

They are wildly unethical and do next to zero validation. Most people think all car companies are roughly the same in how they do this kind of stuff. They are not. I can't recommend a product that needs to last 5-10 years minimum that's designed and manufactured that recklessly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:37 pm

They are wildly unethical and do next to zero validation. Most people think all car companies are roughly the same in how they do this kind of stuff. They are not. I can't recommend a product that needs to last 5-10 years minimum that's designed and manufactured that recklessly.
I agree with all of :dat:

They are quite :impressive: from a tech standpoint. There are a lot of great things about the product, but it's a company I wouldn't write a check to. I have driven them as well, they are fucking fast as fuck but also boring to drive, IMHO.

:iono: I try not to get into Tesla conversations because I totally understand why people like them and want them, there are great reasons to do so. They are just so far from my personal tastes on so many levels that I just :nope: out pretty fast.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Theoretically yes. I mean, the Tesla essentially have the same balance as a BMW in terms of 50/50 distribution and a low center gravity, plus instant torque. Along with a range just as good as accord's and the like. Seems like it checks all the boxes for spirited driving. However, their build quality is beyond terrible and paying $60k for a car as such would kill me on the inside.

Atleast for the model 3 with the base wheels, if you remove the hubcaps, you can actually get decent looking :stig: wheels from the factory.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Almost every location in Turo I searched has bunch of tesla's, rent a couple of days to find out.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm

It's kind of a wild idea that's been rattling around. My new commute is only 3 miles so thinking about all those short drives in the R and how it could do damage long term like it may have done to my Mk6 makes me hesitant. And thanks to used car prices it looks like I could :nuke: the R for more than what I got it for. With Tesla being the only manufacturer you can't negotiate with it's intriguing. M3P is what I was thinking but then that pushes Gayman S dreams further down the line. Their website only says November for a 3 but :iono: how accurate it is.

My brother-in-law has had a 3 long range for a few years and they haven't had any issues with it and they drive it everywhere. They love it so much they're going to get a Y too. The only thing is they're in it for the tech. They're not exactly car people.

Or just do nothing since the R is nearly paid off and I have 4 years left on the b2b warranty. Just drive it :aintcare:
At that point I'd just keep the R, I spent a year with a paid off GTI and it was :nice:
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:12 pm

They are quite :impressive: from a tech standpoint. There are a lot of great things about the product, but it's a company I wouldn't write a check to. I have driven them as well, they are fucking fast as fuck but also boring to drive, IMHO.

:iono: I try not to get into Tesla conversations because I totally understand why people like them and want them, there are great reasons to do so. They are just so far from my personal tastes on so many levels that I just :nope: out pretty fast.
P100D or :gtfo: And the cost of entry would put me in a C8Z. I think Teslas fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. The only way to justify ownership is a 10 second quarter mile. Otherwise I am buying that Kia thing or some kind of E Audi.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I never thought I’d be considering an electric transportation pod but in a strange way it kind of makes sense. A model 3 is more appealing because it’s a sedan while everyone else is doing SUV’s. I will have had the alpo R for 2 years this coming march and so far I only have 9300 miles on it.

With such a short commute moving to something else gas powered would be :fullretard: right? Unless it’s a Corolla or something like that.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:13 pm

I never thought I’d be considering an electric transportation pod but in a strange way it kind of makes sense. A model 3 is more appealing because it’s a sedan while everyone else is doing SUV’s. I will have had the alpo R for 2 years this coming march and so far I only have 9300 miles on it.

With such a short commute moving to something else gas powered would be :fullretard: right? Unless it’s a Corolla or something like that.
I'm considering a Lightning. I think that's a much better argument for EVs. Going from a 30 mpg sports sedan to an EV sedan isn't solving a lot. But removing the 15 mpg and adding a big front trunk? That's makes a truck sound really nice to have as a daily.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:iono: I have no commute, I pretty much work remote indefinitely and on the occasion I go to the office, I bike. I bike whenever I can typically. That said, I don't really see that it matters. If you have a short commute, your fuel costs will be low and your pollution output will be low, it's a scenario where I would be tempted to get something silly with abysmal mileage.

Is your concern that the short trips will be hard on the car? Given every modern vehicle has auto start/stop, I can't imagine a short commute is really going to make any difference. No DFDer will own a car long enough to ever find out anyway.

I mean, if you want a Model 3, they do a lot of things really well and there's nothing wrong with going that route if it's your thing. I don't see why the commute would make a gasser not make sense though.
Huckleberry

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:55 pm

I'm considering a Lightning. I think that's a much better argument for EVs. Going from a 30 mpg sports sedan to an EV sedan isn't solving a lot. But removing the 15 mpg and adding a big front trunk? That's makes a truck sound really nice to have as a daily.
Yeah, the Lightning is intriguing. I've said from the start that trucks should be the first to go electric since they stand to benefit the most from the instant torque and removing the abysmal fuel economy.
Huckleberry

The funny thing is that people automatically assume that I hate electric vehicles because I hate Tesla, which is far from the truth.

Tesla just sucks as a company and Musk sucks as a person.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:29 pm

The funny thing is that people automatically assume that I hate electric vehicles because I hate Tesla, which is far from the truth.

:dat: I live in an area where all of a sudden I started spotting model 3's multiple times a day. In fact, I remembered lot of people pre ordered and waited, and literally half the model 3's starts with the first 3 letters on the license plate.

I don't wanna join the pretentious crowd of teslas, and their build quality is indeed terrible for the price of the car. On top of that, I saw an article that most people who buy these cars and also lot of other cars people don't even use the tech that comes with it. If thats the case with the tesla, they are definitely bought as status symbols
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:14 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:29 pm

:dat: I live in an area where all of a sudden I started spotting model 3's multiple times a day. In fact, I remembered lot of people pre ordered and waited, and literally half the model 3's starts with the first 3 letters on the license plate.

I don't wanna join the pretentious crowd of teslas, and their build quality is indeed terrible for the price of the car. On top of that, I saw an article that most people who buy these cars and also lot of other cars people don't even use the tech that comes with it. If thats the case with the tesla, they are definitely bought as status symbols
No more a status symbol than any German brand. Also there are like no Teslas in Texas. Rare birds … they are some of the most common cars in Northern California. Hardly a status symbol when everyone has one