Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:03 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:35 pm Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do as far as shock replacements on a 2010 acura TSX.

overall the car rides firm... perhaps too firm? Which is odd considering that the shocks are 11 years and 120k miles old. I wanted to get them updated... then I found out that it uses struts on all 4 corners... :disgust: so it won't be a simple DIY.

That said... started looking for parts. 3/4 shocks are available through OEM sources and they are a whopping $220 a pop on average, and I can't complete the entire car :(

Koni Yellows seem like a decent aftermarket units... however the shop I called mentioned that they may ride stiffer even in the softest setting, which is the last thing I want.

Any other decent brands that ya'll are aware of? I even posted on TSX forums but the dudes there are :fullretard: and completely non -helpful.
Hey Max!
I had koni yellow on my TDI and they can be set really soft, like Cadillac soft on Eibach lowering springs. I had to stiffen then up a bit after setting them a half turn from the end. So I'm saying that I'd get a second opinion on that sentiment.
That’s good to hear. I’m drawn to the quality and that they are actually available. I don’t really want to tinker with them. Just want to get em done and call it a day. Do Konis last a while ? I know they have a lifetime
Warranty or something but the labor is as much as the shocks so it becomes a bit of a moot point.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:04 pm

Hey Max!
I had koni yellow on my TDI and they can be set really soft, like Cadillac soft on Eibach lowering springs. I had to stiffen then up a bit after setting them a half turn from the end. So I'm saying that I'd get a second opinion on that sentiment.
That’s good to hear. I’m drawn to the quality and that they are actually available. I don’t really want to tinker with them. Just want to get em done and call it a day. Do Konis last a while ? I know they have a lifetime
Warranty or something but the labor is as much as the shocks so it becomes a bit of a moot point.
The back shocks need to be removed and rotated to set stiffness, so go with full soft, then turn them in 1/4 to 1/2 rotation, and the fronts come with a tool and can be tweaked after they are installed. They are beefy, solid equipment, I don't think they'll fail before the old TSX does. Mine were two years old when i got rid of the car, but it was my favorite mod, and i was contemplating pulling them off before i traded the car in. It just didn't make sense to do that labor, so i let them go NFG. :ohwell:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:35 pm Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do as far as shock replacements on a 2010 acura TSX.

overall the car rides firm... perhaps too firm? Which is odd considering that the shocks are 11 years and 120k miles old. I wanted to get them updated... then I found out that it uses struts on all 4 corners... :disgust: so it won't be a simple DIY.

That said... started looking for parts. 3/4 shocks are available through OEM sources and they are a whopping $220 a pop on average, and I can't complete the entire car :(

Koni Yellows seem like a decent aftermarket units... however the shop I called mentioned that they may ride stiffer even in the softest setting, which is the last thing I want.

Any other decent brands that ya'll are aware of? I even posted on TSX forums but the dudes there are :fullretard: and completely non -helpful.
Does the car feel firm because the shocks are shot and there's no compression damping? That could be what's going on. I wouldn't think of a 2010 TSX as a stiff riding car exactly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:59 am
wap wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 pm:nevermind:
And we're all going to just pretend what happened last night didn't happen.

Capisce?

Back to talking about shocks and cars and stuff.
Gracias, amigo.

I really don't have time or inclination to babysit adults, so I will just say this here and leave it at that... racial slurs and personal attacks are not accepted. I sadly have to quit if that stuff comes up regularly, take my payments with me, and let others figure it out.

I really would love to see this place stick around, I enjoy it a lot. Also happy to see Max back.

Anyway, carry on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hey Max!
I had a pretty shitty experience with Koni Yellows. On my '97 Civic, the entire weight of the car rested on these height adjustable spring collars (basically a 350 degree ring that was maybe 2 mm thick which sat in one of three slightly recessed rings to change the height of the vehicle). They would just slip out of the recessed rings and the entire car would slide down off the shock. This happened multiple times before I said fuck it and just got stock shocks. It was really a bummer as $600 for shocks is a fuckload of money at age 19, I saved for them for months and they were regarded as the best.

:iono: I doubt most of them use that design today, so I wouldn't base your decision off of that, but it pretty much made me avoid Koni forever. Bilstein is the best.

The adjustability was immense :doe: from Cadi to full anus shattering. I think you could dial them in towards the softer side and never adjust again.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:59 am
wap wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 pm:nevermind:
And we're all going to just pretend what happened last night didn't happen.

Capisce?

Back to talking about shocks and cars and stuff.
I’ll forget it but it was a bit… shocking

:iswydt:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:34 am

Does the car feel firm because the shocks are shot and there's no compression damping? That could be what's going on. I wouldn't think of a 2010 TSX as a stiff riding car exactly.
That’s my hypothesis. But Honda shocks tend to last for a long time and be ok .. so at the same time I would be livid if I got new shocks and the thing rides the same
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:43 am
I had a pretty shitty experience with Koni Yellows. On my '97 Civic, the entire weight of the car rested on these height adjustable spring collars (basically a 350 degree ring that was maybe 2 mm thick which sat in one of three slightly recessed rings to change the height of the vehicle). They would just slip out of the recessed rings and the entire car would slide down off the shock. This happened multiple times before I said fuck it and just got stock shocks. It was really a bummer as $600 for shocks is a fuckload of money at age 19, I saved for them for months and they were regarded as the best.

:iono: I doubt most of them use that design today, so I wouldn't base your decision off of that, but it pretty much made me avoid Koni forever. Bilstein is the best.

The adjustability was immense :doe: from Cadi to full anus shattering. I think you could dial them in towards the softer side and never adjust again.
The tsx has rubber spring isolators that the strut mounts to… so maybe it’ll have similar issues? I would love to get oem but they don’t seem available at the moment, or maybe forever ?
I am not sure if there is a billstein option and I would highly prefer a softer not sportier ride…
Last edited by max225 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:03 am
MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:34 am

That’s my hypothesis. But Honda shocks tend to last for a long time and be ok .. so at the same time I would be livid if I got new shocks and the thing rides the same
Shocks are wear components. Seals break down and they stop performing. If you have 100k+ miles on a car, there's almost no way new shocks will ride the same.

Do you remember the car feeling stiff originally?
max225

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:05 am
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:03 am

Shocks are wear components. Seals break down and they stop performing. If you have 100k+ miles on a car, there's almost no way new shocks will ride the same.

Hmm it was always on the firmer side but I think it is time to for an update based on the very comments you made. I can’t imagine it’s still functioning right.
Also would one update springs also ? It doesn’t seem to be sagging … so I’m assuming they should be ok
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:06 am
MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:05 am

Hmm it was always on the firmer side but I think it is time to for an update based on the very comments you made. I can’t imagine it’s still functioning right.
Also would one update springs also ? It doesn’t seem to be sagging … so I’m assuming they should be ok
I wouldn't, springs should last the life of the car if you're not in the rust belt.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:43 am

The tsx has rubber spring isolators that the strut mounts to… so maybe it’ll have similar issues? I would love to get oem but they don’t seem available at the moment, or maybe forever ?
I am not sure if there is a billstein option and I would highly prefer a softer not sportier ride…
No Bilstein option. I'm guessing Showa does the OEM stuff? Not positive. Tokico should be OEM replacements basically.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:11 am
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:06 am

I wouldn't, springs should last the life of the car if you're not in the rust belt.
Yep, should be good here.
max225

So y’all been following the insanity of the “chip” shortage coupled with unprecedented demand ?

Fascinating times to be alive. I think in my 20 active years as a “car guy” I have never seen resale values at these levels.

Been spending a lot of time doing research on the matter also. Lots of factors for every oem, however Tesla is still bucking the trend … which is :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:13 am So y’all been following the insanity of the “chip” shortage coupled with unprecedented demand ?

Fascinating times to be alive. I think in my 20 active years as a “car guy” I have never seen resale values at these levels.

Been spending a lot of time doing research on the matter also. Lots of factors for every oem, however Tesla is still bucking the trend … which is :mindblown:
Tesla is managing because the vehicles are designed like mobile devices, not archaic vehicles with computers to control every little function. There's plusses and minuses to both.

But this is indeed insane times. I've pretty much given up on trying to buy anything (vehicle, electronics, whatever) and just going to ride out the next 12 mos with what I've got. Shouldn't be a big deal, will be a good money saver.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:13 am So y’all been following the insanity of the “chip” shortage coupled with unprecedented demand ?

Ugh. It has helped me give no fucks about :plac: or car shopping which is kind of :nice:

But it is a constant headache all day everyday at work as a sales guy for an electronics manufacturer :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:48 am

Tesla is managing because the vehicles are designed like mobile devices, not archaic vehicles with computers to control every little function. There's plusses and minuses to both.

But this is indeed insane times. I've pretty much given up on trying to buy anything (vehicle, electronics, whatever) and just going to ride out the next 12 mos with what I've got. Shouldn't be a big deal, will be a good money saver.
:dat: It is a good time to sit back and focus on being less into consumerism.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

What's crazy is, despite being out of stock on at least 20X more SKUs than any other time I've worked at this company, I am still blowing my sales quota out of the water every month. People seem to want to buy anything and everything they can get their hands on. My customers can't keep up with the number of projects they have for new commercial buildings like bars, restaurants, hotels, even retail.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:48 am

:dat: It is a good time to sit back and focus on being less into consumerism.
It's an interesting exercise in needs vs wants. Sure, it would be nice to have a 2nd vehicle, but it would get maybe 5k miles/year on it which is really :butwhy:

In normal times, I would have had a truck by now. By forcing me to think more about it, I've realized how unnecessary a lot of things are.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Chip shortage and supply chain stuff is really interesting to follow right now. My security friends are all talking about it in our various group chats.

ARM is one of the worlds prominent manufacturers of chips and they basically got bought out by China who got 51% of their company for $775M. That half in China went rogue and made their own company, with all of the IP from ARM that they were privy to since they were majority owners. And good luck going after a Chinese company for IP theft in China

Article
https://hothardware.com/news/arm-china- ... nt-company
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Just an FYI, Arm doesn't make anything. They just license out their architecture.

That whole story was wild though. China is slowly inching away from having any US chips manufactured there. It will take time, but everyone will eventually start building capacity elsewhere. We'll be left with China ripping off multi-generation old products for domestic use only.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:05 pm What's crazy is, despite being out of stock on at least 20X more SKUs than any other time I've worked at this company, I am still blowing my sales quota out of the water every month. People seem to want to buy anything and everything they can get their hands on. My customers can't keep up with the number of projects they have for new commercial buildings like bars, restaurants, hotels, even retail.
:mindblown:

So much for prices dropping back to normal. It signals to me to buy what I need now. Thankfully, I need nothing LOL
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:05 pm What's crazy is, despite being out of stock on at least 20X more SKUs than any other time I've worked at this company, I am still blowing my sales quota out of the water every month. People seem to want to buy anything and everything they can get their hands on. My customers can't keep up with the number of projects they have for new commercial buildings like bars, restaurants, hotels, even retail.
:mindblown:

So much for prices dropping back to normal. It signals to me to buy what I need now. Thankfully, I need nothing LOL
Yep, I am not buying much other than food and some random used bike parts for a build I'm planning...

:nope: at these prices.

You are right :doe: , electronics are in a weird spot at least through end of year.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:48 pm Just an FYI, Arm doesn't make anything. They just license out their architecture.

That whole story was wild though. China is slowly inching away from having any US chips manufactured there. It will take time, but everyone will eventually start building capacity elsewhere. We'll be left with China ripping off multi-generation old products for domestic use only.
:dat: I have often heard my company referred to as 'that China company' in the AV industry. It's essentially a JM model, company is based in Charlotte and SLC, we have sales, support, marketing, product management, some engineering, etc. over here and have offices in Asia that interface with manufacturing for joint development. That said, we have pulled more and more from China and into other nations like Taiwan, and it seems to be treating us well. Despite the much larger than normal stock/supply issues we're dealing with, we seem to be miles ahead of our competitors.
razr390

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:48 pm Just an FYI, Arm doesn't make anything. They just license out their architecture.

You know way more about the tech than I do… is the US too reliant on importing shit like this? AFAIK we don’t manufacture domestically except for companies that use it for their own IP?