OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

When my mom had to be taken to the ER Saturday night, the ER was PACKED. She, and several other patients, had to wait HOURS in the hallways on gurneys to get a room or see a doc because all the rooms were full. Not completely, but largely because of the 'vid. :rage:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:28 pm Here's an interesting one. Neighbor/friends in their early 60's got vaccinated with Pfizer as soon as they could back in Mar/Apr. They barely go anywhere, just stick around home most of the time. The husband attends mass at the local catholic church every Sunday, has been going since church opened up earlier this year.

He got sick 2 weeks ago, he said it felt like "allergies"...sore throat, sniffles, somewhat tired. He felt better after a few days when his wife came down with what seemed like the same thing...allergies. Well, she didn't get better, and progressively got worse and worse. She lost her sense of taste and smell after a week, got a test on Friday and it's positive. She's not getting better but at least she hasn't gotten much worse in the last week or so. She completely blames her husband going to church and bringing it back, he's actually :notwrong: to her and feels really bad about that likelihood. They both assumed the vaccine would take care of them, but here they are.
Interesting you say that, I know some people who goes to concerts left and right, vaxxed or not. Even a nurse that went to lollapalooza and this local music festival :millennial: But that being said, most of the people who have gotten their second vax so far was before delta was even in the picture. I reunited with another friend here in VA, she's a workaholic, doesn't really socialize, party, etc. We went into the market and I asked her if she brought a mask. She replied, whats the point of the vaccination then (she was technically forced to get vaccinated so she can keep her job that she loves). I got vaxxed for the peace of mind, not necessarily mean I can do whatever the fuck I want. In VA you don't have to rock a mask indoors if you're fully vaccinated nor have symptoms, but lot of people here rock masks indoors. In DC, it's mandatory indoors, some concert venues ask for proof of vaccination, etc. While the rest of the bars is :aintcare: or they think it won't be bad as it used to be.

I first may thought that the worst comes to worst of covid with vax, I would've thought only a few would get the :mahtroy: luck, but I started to hear more and more. Including what happened to my friend.
COVID aside, I really miss NoVa/DMV

:sad:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Great episode of Honestly with Bari Weiss about vaccine hesitancy. I think we would have had a dramatically different take rate if we had someone like this Dr. Prasad at the helm. Sincere and reliable works much better to convince people to get vaccinated than the polarized mess we currently have.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/v ... 0536259516
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

wap wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:31 pm When my mom had to be taken to the ER Saturday night, the ER was PACKED. She, and several other patients, had to wait HOURS in the hallways on gurneys to get a room or see a doc because all the rooms were full. Not completely, but largely because of the 'vid. :rage:
My friend's dad had to go to the ER due to brain swelling. My friend told me that the hospital was packed and people were just laid out much of the same in hallways. Due to the severity of his case, he was transferred to a room of his own. They needed to drill into his head to relieve pressure, but the hospital had no open operating rooms, so they had to perform the procedure in his room.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 am
wap wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:31 pm When my mom had to be taken to the ER Saturday night, the ER was PACKED. She, and several other patients, had to wait HOURS in the hallways on gurneys to get a room or see a doc because all the rooms were full. Not completely, but largely because of the 'vid. :rage:
My friend's dad had to go to the ER due to brain swelling. My friend told me that the hospital was packed and people were just laid out much of the same in hallways. Due to the severity of his case, he was transferred to a room of his own. They needed to drill into his head to relieve pressure, but the hospital had no open operating rooms, so they had to perform the procedure in his room.
Wow, that's shitty. Hope he's ok.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

wap wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:31 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 am

Unfortunately, he passed away a few days later.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 am
wap wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:31 pm

Unfortunately, he passed away a few days later.
Shit. Sorry dude. :(
What brought on the brain swelling?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:42 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:46 pm

Interesting you say that, I know some people who goes to concerts left and right, vaxxed or not. Even a nurse that went to lollapalooza and this local music festival :millennial: But that being said, most of the people who have gotten their second vax so far was before delta was even in the picture. I reunited with another friend here in VA, she's a workaholic, doesn't really socialize, party, etc. We went into the market and I asked her if she brought a mask. She replied, whats the point of the vaccination then (she was technically forced to get vaccinated so she can keep her job that she loves). I got vaxxed for the peace of mind, not necessarily mean I can do whatever the fuck I want. In VA you don't have to rock a mask indoors if you're fully vaccinated nor have symptoms, but lot of people here rock masks indoors. In DC, it's mandatory indoors, some concert venues ask for proof of vaccination, etc. While the rest of the bars is :aintcare: or they think it won't be bad as it used to be.

I first may thought that the worst comes to worst of covid with vax, I would've thought only a few would get the :mahtroy: luck, but I started to hear more and more. Including what happened to my friend.
COVID aside, I really miss NoVa/DMV

:sad:
Lot of new places came, 66 is smooth again though construction is still going of course. Traffic is less congested. I still have not set foot in DC yet. Trying this new taco place tomorrow and heading to rehoboth beach, delaware for the weekend
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

razr390 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:30 pm Only thing I can’t get behind is masking 2 year olds and over. My daughter is 2 and absolutely hates ANYTHING foreign on her face let alone a mask. If I put a sticker she will cry if she can’t take it off. I think that’s kind of wishful thinking. The proper age I’d say is 4-5, as that’s when kids can actually communicate their needs and whatnot better.
Eh, I think we had a little fight like the first time we tried a mask on Grant at home, but he’s been fine with them. He turned 3 in Feb.
:therapist:
Calvinball

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:28 pm Here's an interesting one. Neighbor/friends in their early 60's got vaccinated with Pfizer as soon as they could back in Mar/Apr. They barely go anywhere, just stick around home most of the time. The husband attends mass at the local catholic church every Sunday, has been going since church opened up earlier this year.

He got sick 2 weeks ago, he said it felt like "allergies"...sore throat, sniffles, somewhat tired. He felt better after a few days when his wife came down with what seemed like the same thing...allergies. Well, she didn't get better, and progressively got worse and worse. She lost her sense of taste and smell after a week, got a test on Friday and it's positive. She's not getting better but at least she hasn't gotten much worse in the last week or so. She completely blames her husband going to church and bringing it back, he's actually :notwrong: to her and feels really bad about that likelihood. They both assumed the vaccine would take care of them, but here they are.
Vax likely saved them from worse symptoms, at least
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Calvinball wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:37 am

Vax likely saved them from worse symptoms, at least
Oh for sure, and she actually rebounded really quickly. A day or so after I made this post, she got drastically better. Her husband was barely sick.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Got my second shot a day early on 9/30. Same as the first one, zero side effects as far as feeling sick at all, but my shoulder was noticeably more sore after this one. After the first shot I went to the gym and did a full shoulder workout, after the second shot I went to the gym and did about 50% of my normal back workout since I had to catch a flight shortly after.. wonder if less direct movement/blood flow is why my shoulder (left) was more sore than it (right) was after the first one.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:16 am Got my second shot a day early on 9/30. Same as the first one, zero side effects as far as feeling sick at all, but my shoulder was noticeably more sore after this one. After the first shot I went to the gym and did a full shoulder workout, after the second shot I went to the gym and did about 50% of my normal back workout since I had to catch a flight shortly after.. wonder if less direct movement/blood flow is why my shoulder (left) was more sore than it (right) was after the first one.
They say that direct movement/blood flow helps soreness. I just moved my arm around constantly, but for some reason the second shot was far more sore than the first, despite the same activity. The second shot also took me DOWN. Not sick, just exhausted. I think I slept for 12 hours that night I got it, woke up feeling fine the next morning.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:22 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:16 am Got my second shot a day early on 9/30. Same as the first one, zero side effects as far as feeling sick at all, but my shoulder was noticeably more sore after this one. After the first shot I went to the gym and did a full shoulder workout, after the second shot I went to the gym and did about 50% of my normal back workout since I had to catch a flight shortly after.. wonder if less direct movement/blood flow is why my shoulder (left) was more sore than it (right) was after the first one.
They say that direct movement/blood flow helps soreness. I just moved my arm around constantly, but for some reason the second shot was far more sore than the first, despite the same activity. The second shot also took me DOWN. Not sick, just exhausted. I think I slept for 12 hours that night I got it, woke up feeling fine the next morning.
I was pretty drained emotionally after each shot, so it's hard for me to differentiate whether I was tired from the shots or just drained from everything happening with my mom.
wap

Calvinball wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:35 am
razr390 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:30 pm Only thing I can’t get behind is masking 2 year olds and over. My daughter is 2 and absolutely hates ANYTHING foreign on her face let alone a mask. If I put a sticker she will cry if she can’t take it off. I think that’s kind of wishful thinking. The proper age I’d say is 4-5, as that’s when kids can actually communicate their needs and whatnot better.
Eh, I think we had a little fight like the first time we tried a mask on Grant at home, but he’s been fine with them. He turned 3 in Feb.
:hai: :therapist:
:mindblown: at the bolded! How old is his sister now? She still been ok?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Just going to leave this as a data point without commentary.
My best friends dad and his wife got the vid. He had the Android vaccine (JJ) she is anti vax. He actually got her sick because he got it while
Traveling. Both in their 60s and good health.

He got a terrible cough and was pretty bad for 3 weeks, and is now coming out of it just fine. But first two weeks were bad (no hospital but just shitty)

She felt like crap for 5 days and was completely over it in a week.

Once again just a data point not saying you should do one thing or another. I expected the opposite as far as what happened in actuality
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:21 am Just going to leave this as a data point without commentary.
My best friends dad and his wife got the vid. He had the Android vaccine (JJ) she is anti vax. He actually got her sick because he got it while

He got a terrible cough and was pretty bad for 3 weeks, and is now coming out of it just fine. But first two weeks were bad (no hospital but just shitty)

Once again just a data point not saying you should do one thing or another. I expected the opposite as far as what happened in actuality
I believe that here we are calling it "anecdotal" if it leans towards "tinfoil" or "anti-science".

They are trying to jab 5 - 11 yr old kids here, which I'm opposed to strongly. We really don't know what to make of our choices, but once they implement the policy it will be either jab one or both kids, or lose all extra-curricular activities. Fucken sucks man.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

The macro data doesn't make sense to me.

We were originally told, 50% fully vaccinated population, and that's the end of COVID. We're now around 70% vaccinated. We have more COVID deaths this year already than all of last year.

We need to accept either the quality of data on COVID deaths (is it death due to COVID, or death with COVID? Two very, very different things and no one can really say), or, the vaccines are no where near as effective as we thought they would be. Both of those things are probably true, but nobody in any position of authority will admit to either.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:00 pm The macro data doesn't make sense to me.

We were originally told, 50% fully vaccinated population, and that's the end of COVID. We're now around 70% vaccinated. We have more COVID deaths this year already than all of last year.

We need to accept either the quality of data on COVID deaths (is it death due to COVID, or death with COVID? Two very, very different things and no one can really say), or, the vaccines are no where near as effective as we thought they would be. Both of those things are probably true, but nobody in any position of authority will admit to either.
I'm not a scientist or doctor, but the efficacy is called into question (like 35% by 6 mths) and some articles suggest that .gov will be pushing for boosters. My opinion is that herd immunity isn't going to happen until it does the old fashioned way.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:06 pm
MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:00 pm The macro data doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not a scientist or doctor, but the efficacy is called into question (like 35% by 6 mths) and some articles suggest that .gov will be pushing for boosters. My opinion is that herd immunity isn't going to happen until it does the old fashioned way.
I'm with you on that. I think the lockdowns are dragging this out even further. It's too contagious for lockdowns to have any meaningful impact at this point and it's not sustainable.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:53 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:06 pm

I'm with you on that. I think the lockdowns are dragging this out even further. It's too contagious for lockdowns to have any meaningful impact at this point and it's not sustainable.
There's got to be a few bean counters on both sides of the political spectrum that will give this plan an expiry date... Hopefully
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:51 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:21 am Just going to leave this as a data point without commentary.

I believe that here we are calling it "anecdotal" if it leans towards "tinfoil" or "anti-science".

They are trying to jab 5 - 11 yr old kids here, which I'm opposed to strongly. We really don't know what to make of our choices, but once they implement the policy it will be either jab one or both kids, or lose all extra-curricular activities. Fucken sucks man.
Correct just providing the forum with :fax: from personal life. Just found out my stepsister and her husband got it over the weekend.

They were the most paranoid people I knew of... I.E disinfected shit before it entered house etc. Got vaccinated with Pfizer (both of them) back in may. refused to attend family gatherings for over a year.

Fast forward to last weekend, he went to a Tennessee Titans game? Last weekend and came back sick... was sick for 1 day... then got over it and worked out on day 2.. she had sniffles and fever for 1 day and seems fine also. Seemed less severe for them than the flu.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:35 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Correct just providing the forum with :fax: from personal life. Just found out my stepsister and her husband got it over the weekend.

They were the most paranoid people I knew of... I.E disinfected shit before it entered house etc. Got vaccinated with Pfizer (both of them) back in may. refused to attend family gatherings for over a year.

Fast forward to last weekend, he went to a Tennessee Titans game? Last weekend and came back sick... was sick for 1 day... then got over it and worked out on day 2.. she had sniffles and fever for 1 day and seems fine also. Seemed less severe for them than the flu.
Vaccinated within the last 6 months, so I'm thinking that it probably protected them from it settling into their lungs. This is the one redeeming quality of the vaccines IMO, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak of it with any conviction either way. There's a decent video out that breaks down what the vaccine does and doesn't do. Not sure if I'm going to post it up, since it's Canadian research based, but not 100% supported by political regimes. I think it makes a lot of sense and can help explain the trends we see.
Calvinball

wap wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:57 am
Calvinball wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:35 am

She’s six now, first grade. No further issues, though we’d obviously been pretty bubbled up until this fall. We really lucked out with her for kindergarten, her teacher was really good at the virtual thing. She’s back in person, and Grant is in preschool. This past week is the first time since March 2020 that there’s been anything other than allergies in the house (not covid)

We also have a one year old added to the mix now.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Calvinball wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:38 am
wap wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:57 am

She’s six now, first grade. No further issues, though we’d obviously been pretty bubbled up until this fall. We really lucked out with her for kindergarten, her teacher was really good at the virtual thing. She’s back in person, and Grant is in preschool. This past week is the first time since March 2020 that there’s been anything other than allergies in the house (not covid)

We also have a one year old added to the mix now.
Sofia is in daycare rn and the constant viral infections are getting so old :ayfkm:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.