Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

wap wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:53 pm
RLWake wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:07 pm

Was kinda hoping for a 3 door hatch a la TT… not another Mercedes CLA :flaccid:
From the article:
The teaser photo only shows the five-door form, but the announcement does not necessarily rule out a three-door performance variant in the future
:notsure: :doe:
I will hold out hope then. The world needs more 3 door coupés.

I really miss my TT sometimes… that was a damn good car. Those things sure have appreciated. Sold mine in great condition a few years back for like 12… new water pump, trans service, haldex service, all of it. 75k miles I think. Now you can’t find a good one for 18 it seems.

Anyways. Mine was an Ibis white with the red leather and FUCK I loved it. Honestly, I shouldn’t have sold it but the song of a BMW straight six called my name.

2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

RLWake wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:01 am
wap wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:53 pm

From the article:

:notsure: :doe:
I will hold out hope then. The world needs more 3 door coupés.

I really miss my TT sometimes… that was a damn good car. Those things sure have appreciated. Sold mine in great condition a few years back for like 12… new water pump, trans service, haldex service, all of it. 75k miles I think. Now you can’t find a good one for 18 it seems.

Anyways. Mine was an Ibis white with the red leather and FUCK I loved it. Honestly, I shouldn’t have sold it but the song of a BMW straight six called my name.

Agreed.
Nice car!
I really like those TT's, too. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

The TT hatch is fantastic. I'd be pretty happy with a base MQB version. Our old 2008 was nice too.

I actually drove a car today for more than a few minutes and it felt weird. It had been probably 2 months or so since I last drove outside of town. FL driving definitely is stressful, but less so in a <3000 lb car with decent tires/brakes/handling. In 3 hours, mostly spent at 80-95 mph, I saw probably 10 really close calls.

There's no way I would be comfortable driving a :truk: here. I'd rather be able to avoid the idiots than run them over.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:18 am The TT hatch is fantastic. I'd be pretty happy with a base MQB version. Our old 2008 was nice too.

I actually drove a car today for more than a few minutes and it felt weird. It had been probably 2 months or so since I last drove outside of town. FL driving definitely is stressful, but less so in a <3000 lb car with decent tires/brakes/handling. In 3 hours, mostly spent at 80-95 mph, I saw probably 10 really close calls.

There's no way I would be comfortable driving a :truk: here. I'd rather be able to avoid the idiots than run them over.
I HATE driving in Orlando.

I saw a dumbass in a brand new Trailblazer rear end an old tahoe right in front of me today… doesn’t that thing have active safety shit to prevent that? Guess not. Either way, driving here is scary. You have to be assertive.

I agree on liking a small and agile car for it. :cheese: really is perfect for navigating it. I had to do an emergency stop in :tits: ‘s ILX and I nearly shat myself because I forgot about the braking difference between Primacy’s and Conti ECS… it made me realize just how much confidence a capable car like that gives me.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
troyguitar

Yeah this was driving from St Pete to Orlando and back today. It's really nice to not have to worry about cops, keeping your eyes on the road instead of the speedometer and the bushes.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:34 am Yeah this was driving from St Pete to Orlando and back today. It's really nice to not have to worry about cops, keeping your eyes on the road instead of the speedometer and the bushes.
Number 1…

troyguitar

:doomed:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:34 am Yeah this was driving from St Pete to Orlando and back today. It's really nice to not have to worry about cops, keeping your eyes on the road instead of the speedometer and the bushes.
Hell yes. So easy to get around down south without having to worry about doing more than 5mph over.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am kind of stoked for the Integra. A CTR that my wife won't find :disgust: , perhaps.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:30 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:18 am The TT hatch is fantastic. I'd be pretty happy with a base MQB version. Our old 2008 was nice too.

I saw a dumbass in a brand new Trailblazer rear end an old tahoe right in front of me today… doesn’t that thing have active safety shit to prevent that? Guess not. Either way, driving here is scary. You have to be assertive.

I agree on liking a small and agile car for it. :cheese: really is perfect for navigating it. I had to do an emergency stop in :tits: ‘s ILX and I nearly shat myself because I forgot about the braking difference between Primacy’s and Conti ECS… it made me realize just how much confidence a capable car like that gives me.
It has gotten really bad here as well. I think as the city has doubled in size since I got my license (at least) and the roads have not, there is just so much more volume. With more volume comes more rage. Add to that, the invention of the smart phone, and you get a real clusterfuck.

I drive on weekend trips and stuff like that probably once a month but do very little driving around here locally other than two miles to Aldi once every week or two. Every time I actually drive around Charlotte, I am amazed at just how shitty it is and I'm glad I just ride my bike/don't commute.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:56 pm I am kind of stoked for the Integra. A CTR that my wife won't find :disgust: , perhaps.
Is it going to be :manuel: ?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:37 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:56 pm I am kind of stoked for the Integra. A CTR that my wife won't find :disgust: , perhaps.
I don't think any such details have been announced. Truth be told, unlikely. I will probably just get the current gen Hype R used if I go that route anyway (assuming used prices get a bit less :fullretard: at some point). I like the ridiculous styling, :aintcare: if :tits: thinks it's hideous, TBH. She will :dealwithit:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:37 pm
Likely dual cuck only.
At least Acuras dual :dong: isn’t a trash heap
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

RLWake wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:30 am

Now that I'm currently driving a Kia Forte, I definitely noticed it when I swiftly changed lanes and braking here in the DC area (and DC itself) compared to my GTI. GTI is no question way more swift and more confidence inspiring in terms of city driving with crazy drivers, with an appliance, you really need to plan ahead about your move, and it does get quite a bit sketchy after being used to a :stig: mobile. I know FL is a different breed, I remember reading a forum (via google search) cause when I drove through Orlando a few years ago, people are either driving below the limit or drive like they can afford a reckless ticket. They said "drive fast, you get flipped off, drive slow? flipped off, drive the speed limit? flipped off". Plus driving 40 in the left lane that I've encountered a few times on i95.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar

Since I don't have to do it every day (or even every week really), I actually kind of enjoy the insanity of FL driving.

It feels a lot like driving on a track in a mixed-level group. You've got people and cars of every speed and ability level all out there together and it's just one big free-for-all. I'd prefer to have a few more HP than the little NA 2.0 in the mazderp, but otherwise it's pretty good. 28xx lbs and small with quick steering gets you most of the way there, as long as you keep it in the right gear to accelerate.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:45 pm Since I don't have to do it every day (or even every week really), I actually kind of enjoy the insanity of FL driving.

It feels a lot like driving on a track in a mixed-level group. You've got people and cars of every speed and ability level all out there together and it's just one big free-for-all. I'd prefer to have a few more HP than the little NA 2.0 in the mazderp, but otherwise it's pretty good. 28xx lbs and small with quick steering gets you most of the way there, as long as you keep it in the right gear to accelerate.
:yesth: The divide between driving styles and speeds down there is truly like nothing I have ever experienced before or since. Kinda :lolol: in a car, terrifying on a motorbike.... ask me how I know.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Florida driving is definitely an experience.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Texas is too. People are “courteous” but drive like bat shit as well
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Martha's Vineyard has been pretty relaxed and the drivers are rather courteous. We even had a guy apologize from his car while we were walking because he accidentally blocked the crosswalk.

Granted, this is the off-season and the highest speed limit is 45 from what I have seen.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do as far as shock replacements on a 2010 acura TSX.

overall the car rides firm... perhaps too firm? Which is odd considering that the shocks are 11 years and 120k miles old. I wanted to get them updated... then I found out that it uses struts on all 4 corners... :disgust: so it won't be a simple DIY.

That said... started looking for parts. 3/4 shocks are available through OEM sources and they are a whopping $220 a pop on average, and I can't complete the entire car :(

Koni Yellows seem like a decent aftermarket units... however the shop I called mentioned that they may ride stiffer even in the softest setting, which is the last thing I want.

Any other decent brands that ya'll are aware of? I even posted on TSX forums but the dudes there are :fullretard: and completely non -helpful.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Monroe?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:17 pmMonroe?
Was hoping to go with a quality brand … all the Monroe’s I had would fail in 30-50k miles
troyguitar

max225 wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do as far as shock replacements on a 2010 acura TSX.

overall the car rides firm... perhaps too firm? Which is odd considering that the shocks are 11 years and 120k miles old. I wanted to get them updated... then I found out that it uses struts on all 4 corners... :disgust: so it won't be a simple DIY.

That said... started looking for parts. 3/4 shocks are available through OEM sources and they are a whopping $220 a pop on average, and I can't complete the entire car :(

Koni Yellows seem like a decent aftermarket units... however the shop I called mentioned that they may ride stiffer even in the softest setting, which is the last thing I want.

Any other decent brands that ya'll are aware of? I even posted on TSX forums but the dudes there are :fullretard: and completely non -helpful.
KYB AGX

Oh sorry I can't help, I'm dead!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:35 pm Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do as far as shock replacements on a 2010 acura TSX.

Hey Max!
I had koni yellow on my TDI and they can be set really soft, like Cadillac soft on Eibach lowering springs. I had to stiffen then up a bit after setting them a half turn from the end. So I'm saying that I'd get a second opinion on that sentiment.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:nevermind:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.